• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2011 (Apr 18 - Apr 24)

J-Rock

Banned
snackman said:
The problem is Nintendo has tired their games Mario 546 Zelda8787 everyone says wait for Mario Kart but what if that boring now too??.

I think you're slightly out of touch with reality.

Bizzyb

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
| PS3 | 19.033 |
Coming closer to post-Slim low record, 17,175. Might keep its head above that during GW but doubtful for May.

| WII | 7.866 |
New low record for Wii and not way off PS3 own low 7,438 (not counting SKU shifting weeks).

Other than the curious case of PSP, low HW overall and its only going to get uglier in May me thinks.

I know Nintendo has vowed to release at least 1 software title a month for Wii in Japan but that just isn't going to cut it, and this shit really cannot continue for another 16 months. Wii 2 has to release before Q3-Q4 next year or things will REALLY start looking grim....as if they haven't already.

J-Rock

Banned
gimmmick said:
Spot on. 3D is not for everyone (it gives me a headache when watching a 3d film or video games). I give credit to nintendo making an innovative product, but is it wrong of me to say that sony's ngp will have better games in the long run?

Long run? Hard to say really(also depends on personal taste). A stronger launch lineup than the 3DS? Most likely.

kswiston

I don't really see how Capcom benefits much from moving Monster Hunter to 3DS at this point. Unless it is a slightly enhanced port (Monster Hunter Portable 3DS!). Monster Hunter Portable 3 is on its way to 5 million. Even with an amazing turnaround in sales, 3DS will be hard pressed to hit more than 4 million LTD by the end of this year. Any Monster hunter released on 3DS in the next 12 months will be hard pressed to sell more than 2-2.5M units, even if it is a system seller with a great attach rate.

It took them 4 games and over 4 years to work up the Monster Hunter franchise to its current height on the PSP. The PSP will continue to be a viable platform for software (if not hardware) sales for at least another 18 months in Japan. There is no reason why MHP3G shouldn't be another PSP game in about a year's time.

If Capcom was smart, they would milk the PSP for at least one more game, and wait a couple of years for the 3DS (or NGP) userbase to reach an acceptable level. Then release a new Monster Hunter.

Alextended said:
Imo they were hoping the bundled AR games would have a Wii Sports effect, rather than the 3D by itself. It didn't work out. Obviously they pimp 3D in the adverts. It's the only radically new component when it comes down to it. Motion controls have been done, dual screens have been done, etc, even if it's unique in having it all together and portable. But it's still the content they miscalculated rather than the tech itself. They were selling motion controls with the Wii but they were doing it with Wii Sports, and that worked. AR games didn't so they need to come up with something else that will have the same mainstream appeal.

This is probably correct, IMO. Maybe 3D itself isn't a compelling feature or even a turn-off to the majority of consumers, but I don't think that can be stated as a fact at this point considering the paucity of software to show it off.

1-D_FTW

Maybe. But he's called Crazy Ken for a reason. Only a crazy person could have said "dead" old PSP would outsell DS, Wii, and the DS successor combined in the same week.

Takao

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Maybe. But he's called Crazy Ken for a reason. Only a crazy person could have said "dead" old PSP would outsell DS, Wii, and the DS successor combined in the same week.

PSP was not dead in 2008.

[Nintex]

Takao said:
Probably Ken Kutaragi.
Sony should've never ever kicked out Kutaragi, he might've been spending big at times but a visionary like him beats suits like Kaz and Tretton any day of the week.

1-D_FTW

Takao said:
PSP was not dead in 2008.

" "'s for a reason. It certainly wasn't doing such outrageous numbers that any sane person would have predicted this though.

And this isn't really about the PSP anyways. It's about the fact that Nintendo's numbers have been driven off a cliff.

wrowa

UberTag said:
Nintendo got used to having their innovation gimmicks sell on the basis of a gimmick and not based on actual content delivery.
The Wii sold well due to WiiSports, the DS didn't start selling until Nintendogs and Brain Training. Saying that Nintendo's latest platforms didn't sell based on actual content is quite simply wrong.

So far there is nothing on the horizon that has the potential to define the 3DS hardware in the same way Wii Sports defined the Wii, and the "Non-Games" defined the DS, though. At E3 Nintendo will have to prove that they have this kind of software upcoming.

I doubt that Nintendo has to worry, though. 3DS sales will be mediocre until Fall, but with games like Mario Kart slated for a holiday release I can't imagine that Nintendo will have problems selling hardware at the end of the year. With both recent Mario Kart releases selling more than 20 million units I can't imagine Mario Kart 3D bombing enough to not sell quite a few systems.

1-D_FTW said:
PSP outsells the entire Nintendo line this week. Who could have ever envisioned that 3 years ago?

It's pretty unbelievable how many PSPs people have out on the trains in Tokyo. What's even more unbelievable is how most people are looking at their cell phones.

I see a few old DS systems a day, but seeing a 3DS in the wild is still rare. I can only tell there are any because I get about 3 StreetPasses each way on the commute.

wrowa

kswiston said:
(Monster Hunter stuff)
To be honest, I don't understand why so many people expect a Monster Hunter game for the 3DS to begin with. The userbase of the MonHun games seems to be rather on the "High-tech side" of handheld gaming and quite honestly with the second analog stick the NGP seems to be a more viable platform for the series. I don't have any data at hand, but I've got the feeling that most Monster Hunter fans would prefer a NGP version over a 3DS version.

snackman

Banned
The Wii only did well based on it's gimmick and not games. The 3DS looks like there trying the same thing lack games bring in gimmick again. I'd like to see new game company from Japan come in if Nintendo ever fails. Plus there 3DS store will only have 1st party GB games whats that mess??.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
wrowa said:
To be honest, I don't understand why so many people expect a Monster Hunter game for the 3DS to begin with.
Because Monster Hunter proved it can sell almost despite its target platform given how PSP was doing previously, because a Monster Hunter will most likely show up on next gen portables as there's no reason to kill the franchise and because the 3DS appears to be a perfectly fine candidate and has a little headstart (even if not as great as it could be, but a lot can happen in upcoming months) as it's already released unlike the NGP. Also because Nintendo got MH on Wii. What's so unreasonable about all this?

Its PSP success was probably a huge surprise in the first place, who would have thought a PS2 port would start such a revolution? And despite doing so well they never seemed to respect the platform all that much, as it still only got ports, and enhanced ports, rather than an actual sequel like Wii got.

I don't think it had anything to do with PSP being high tech either. DS couldn't handle a PS2 port and that's probably all there is to it for never getting Monster Hunter either. 3DS however can probably handle a Wii-like sequel with modern shaders, normal maps, and other improvements on top to make it look fancy and next gen enough. They could even port that to NGP later on and have it not look outdated just by bumping the resolution to match, and maybe the frame rate too.

It may come, it may not come, exclusive or multiplatform. We'll see what's been decided by Capcom or arranged by the first parties.

Interfectum

344do8y.jpg

"Release Virtual Boy games on 3DSWare and the sales curse will be lifted."

Bizzyb

Banned
snackman said:
The Wii only did well based on it's gimmick and not games. The 3DS looks like there trying the same thing lack games bring in gimmick again. I'd like to see new game company from Japan come in if Nintendo ever fails. Plus there 3DS store will only have 1st party GB games whats that mess??.

Oh....Junior member.

figures

RpgN

wrowa said:
The Wii sold well due to WiiSports, the DS didn't start selling until Nintendogs and Brain Training. Saying that Nintendo's latest platforms didn't sell based on actual content is quite simply wrong.

So far there is nothing on the horizon that has the potential to define the 3DS hardware in the same way Wii Sports defined the Wii, and the "Non-Games" defined the DS, though. At E3 Nintendo will have to prove that they have this kind of software upcoming.

I doubt that Nintendo has to worry, though. 3DS sales will be mediocre until Fall, but with games like Mario Kart slated for a holiday release I can't imagine that Nintendo will have problems selling hardware at the end of the year. With both recent Mario Kart releases selling more than 20 million units I can't imagine Mario Kart 3D bombing enough to not sell quite a few systems.

I still think Pilotwings could have been the WiiSports for the 3DS if it was bundled as well.

Takao

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
" "'s for a reason. It certainly wasn't doing such outrageous numbers that any sane person would have predicted this though.

And this isn't really about the PSP anyways. It's about the fact that Nintendo's numbers have been driven off a cliff.

I actually looked it up, and 2008 was the PSP's best year for hardware in Japan... But yes, it's moreso a commentary on how poorly Nintendo handles their platforms later in their lives.

pharmboy044 said:
So when can we expect that Monster Hunter for 3DS announcement from Capcom?
Nintendo should pay for an event or something, lol. Tokyo Game Show is just that far. Though new games is what consumers really need, and some are coming starting late May.

RpgN said:
I still think Pilotwings could have been the WiiSports for the 3DS if it was bundled as well.
If that were the case, it would be lighting up the charts as the go go game for the system. It has nowhere near the appeal of Wii sports.

Monster Hunter is going multiplatform. PSP and 3DS will share one version while NGP will get an enhanched version that may also get ported to PS3.

Alexios

Lagspike_exe said:
Monster Hunter is going multiplatform. PSP and 3DS will share one version while NGP will get an enhanched version that may also get ported to PS3.
Bold. Outside first party deals, I'd think they'd make an NGP/3DS version rather than try to milk PSP further, if they actually invested in a sequel that may take a year or more to develop, meaning a launch after the NGP. Assuming they want to keep the same formula (rather than try to make some crazy seamless open world thing like Dragon's Dogma, which could turn fans off) I don't think the difference in power between NGP and 3DS is prohibiting for multiplatform titles that look great on both systems, with 3D on 3DS and higher resolution and frame rate on NGP. The (great) level of detail in the Wii game with higher resolution textures, a few normal maps and other fancy technologies on top (dynamic shadows for example rather than just tear drops, and maybe less segmented areas and what not) would look next gen on the small screens.

Vinci

Danish
Lagspike_exe said:

If I were Sony, I'd pay Capcom not to put the next Monster Hunter on the PSP. Like, I'd pay them a lot to put it on the NGP instead. If they want to include 3DS, fine, whatever. But no PSP.

Bizzyb

Banned
Takao said:
I actually looked it up, and 2008 was the PSP's best year for hardware in Japan... But yes, it's moreso a commentary on how poorly Nintendo handles their platforms later in their lives.

Man, I was just contemplating this the other day.
Why is it that Nintendo consoles always seem to just run out of steam and fall flat at their end of life?

PSX and PS2 continued going (relatively) strong into their heydays. Sony was almost forced to pull support.

Yet N64, Gamecube and now Wii; they all start off relatively well, a few bumps here and there and then just....nothing. Support drops like a rock from both Nintendo and 3rd parties. Sure there's always a swan song or two but it's a very stark contrast to how Sony's systems go out

Vinci said:
If I were Sony, I'd pay Capcom not to put the next Monster Hunter on the PSP. Like, I'd pay them a lot to put it on the NGP instead. If they want to include 3DS, fine, whatever. But no PSP.
Eh? Shouldn't they be paying to keep it off the 3DS instead? They're still raking in the dough on their share Of any software sales on PSP, so why pay to keep it off the platform. Just have them port it to NGP and hope some of the MH market migrates.

jax (old)

Banned
so.. 3DS misfire?

This is my 2nd mediacreate thread in years and like the last time, I am amazed that the PSP is actually doing gangbusters in japan.

ZoddGutts

M.I.S. said:
What I find commendable is that PSP is trucking along and Sony Computer Entertainment Japan has really turned it around. It would be a stunning accomplishment and a credit to Sony if, at the end of the PSP gen, they approach or even exceed PS2 LTD numbers. Truly remarkable.

Contrast this with those Nintendo blowhards whose support often drops after 3 or 4 years and the schedule dries up completely thereafter.

Sony also has a great chance with the NGP as well, with the 3DS underperforming worldwide. The ball is on Sony's court right now with the NGP and by that I mean the price for it.

Alextended said:
Bold. I'd think they'd make an NGP/3DS version rather than try to milk PSP further, if they actually invested in a sequel that may take a year to develop, meaning after the NGP. Assuming they want to keep the same formula (rather than try to make some crazy seamless open world thing like Dragon's Dogma, which could turn fans off) I don't think the difference in power between NGP and 3DS is prohibiting for multiplatform titles that look great on both systems, with 3D on 3DS and higher resolution and frame rate on NGP. The level of detail in the Wii game with higher resolution textures, a few normal maps and other fancy technologies on top (dynamic shadows for example rather than just tear drops) would look next gen on the small screens.
They're not going to abandon platform they just sold 4m games on in one year. No way that's happening.

Alexios

Regardless of what they sold that platform is on its last legs since its successor is coming, whether they like it or not. A sequel could benefit from that platform's swan song but it may also be more beneficial to cultivate an audience on platforms that have many years ahead of them.

Kyoufu

Assuming both NGP and 3DS have similar active user bases....

A multi-platform title would split the players. Not a good thing.

I think Capcom will probably put out a 3DS title but there is no guarantee it'd light up the charts.

Personally I think they'll see bigger success if they did PS3/NGP cross-platform titles, but the problem here is Capcom themselves. They've been determined to stay within the PS2 hardware generation of PS2/PSP/Wii.

Alextended said:
Regardless of what they sold that platform is on its last legs since its successor is coming, whether they like it or not.
PSP sales won't fall off a cliff as soon as NGP launches in Japan if previous Sony systems are to go by. 3rd parties will still release games on it and it will continue to sell.

Vinci

Danish
velvet_nitemare said:
Eh? Shouldn't they be paying to keep it off the 3DS instead? They're still raking in the dough on their share Of any software sales on PSP, so why pay to keep it off the platform. Just have them port it to NGP and hope some of the MH market migrates.

NGP has dual-analogue and better graphics. No way much of the userbase is going to transition to the 3DS over that.

Alextended said:
Bold. I'd think they'd make an NGP/3DS version rather than try to milk PSP further, if they actually invested in a sequel that may take a year to develop, meaning after the NGP. Assuming they want to keep the same formula (rather than try to make some crazy seamless open world thing like Dragon's Dogma, which could turn fans off) I don't think the difference in power between NGP and 3DS is prohibiting for multiplatform titles that look great on both systems, with 3D on 3DS and higher resolution and frame rate on NGP. The level of detail in the Wii game with higher resolution textures, a few normal maps and other fancy technologies on top (dynamic shadows for example rather than just tear drops) would look next gen on the small screens.
They're not going to abandon platform they just sold 4m games on in one year. No way that's happening.

PSP and 3DS are quite near in terms of power. I don't know how costly it would be to port it, but I bet it would be a fraction of possible sales revenue.

PSP, 3DS and NGP a year or a year and a half from now would have a very, very healthy active instal bases. And then there's the possibility of an easy NGP --> PS3 port that could significicantly boost Western sales.

Takao

Banned
Lagspike_exe said:

Capcom makes MH PSP/3DS multiplatform and they might as well not make a 3DS version. People will buy the game for the platform their friends have, which is the PSP. Even if the 3DS picks up a tonne, making a multiplatform game will simply split the userbase and begin to cripple Monster Hunter's appeal.

What I see is the Square Enix tactic where Capcom will keep main Monster Hunter Portable games on PSP and eventually NGP as well as giving the 3DS its own series ala Crystal Chronicles. Which obviously means Poka Poka Airu Village... (not really)

wrowa said:
To be honest, I don't understand why so many people expect a Monster Hunter game for the 3DS to begin with. The userbase of the MonHun games seems to be rather on the "High-tech side" of handheld gaming and quite honestly with the second analog stick the NGP seems to be a more viable platform for the series. I don't have any data at hand, but I've got the feeling that most Monster Hunter fans would prefer a NGP version over a 3DS version.
Uh? I'm pretty sure PSP was the only "high-tech portable" last generation, so I really don't get your point. Nintendo DS couldn't even run Poka Poka Village spin-off, a mess.

EDIT: This Monster Hunter debate... every week. I can't.

wrowa

Lagspike_exe said:
I don't see how Capcom would profit from that. The Monster Hunter franchise is a series that is dependent on the multiplayer experience; splitting the fanbase on many different platforms sounds like an idea that would only hurt the brand in the end.

[Nintex]

Bizzyb said:
Yet N64, Gamecube and now Wii; they all start off relatively well, a few bumps here and there and then just....nothing. Support drops like a rock from both Nintendo and 3rd parties. Sure there's always a swan song or two but it's a very stark contrast to how Sony's systems go out
That's usually because of a lack of third party support along with Nintendo moving their projects to future systems(Dinosaur Planet/Eternal Darkness(N64) > GC, Yoshi Touch & Go, Nintendogs(GC) > DS, Donkey Kong Jet Race, Super Paper Mario, Kirby(GC) > Wii, Pikmin 3(?), Wii Relax(?)(Wii) > Stream). Third parties do the same or at least it seems that way and since Nintendo systems are driven by the sales of their biggest franchises they fall flat once the games dry up. As soon as all the Mario's, Zelda's, Pokemon and other EAD games are out there the next system shows up.

Top Bottom