• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2012 (Apr 16 - Apr 22)

Boney

Banned
I think this image really ilustrates why FE is performing so well.

Fire_Emblem_Awakening_3DS_Point_Card_02.jpg

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I wonder if the server problem (it has been down for over 14 hrs since launch date) and lots of minor bugs will seriously hurt its weekend sales...

Either way sales in general this particular week are very frontloaded. Weekend isn't so strong.

Busaiku

Sony should have waited for developpers to actually have some games ready before releasing the damn thing.

It seems Nintendo urged the transition more than the Sony did, which is why we saw DS support dry up so fast, despite it still doing great in 2010.

Even with the PSP doing great, I think it might have been wiser for Sony to drop the PSP a bit faster in favor of the PSV, it might have garnered them some earlier support that went to the 3DS instead. I mean, if there was a June 2011 release of the PSV in Japan, I think it would have had a chance against the 3DS. Hindsight though (and maybe not even true, I'm not sure).

muu

Mario Party 9 is the biggest console release of this year. I don't think Dragon Quest X or Resident Evil 6 will sell more.

About its first week sales? I don't know. I see both selling almost the same (150k - 200k).

I think you're seriously underestimating the strength of the DQ brand. FF11 was tied to a mailorder-only BB Unit/HDD (which itself was prohibitively expensive) which raised the bar in terms of purchasing the game. Being an online title is a hurdle, yes, but there's a huge difference between being able to plug-and-play and having to jump through hoops and hurdles before and after getting your game.

Even with the PSP doing great, I think it might have been wiser for Sony to drop the PSP a bit faster in favor of the PSV, it might have garnered them some earlier support that went to the 3DS instead. I mean, if there was a June 2011 release of the PSV in Japan, I think it would have had a chance against the 3DS. Hindsight though (and maybe not even true, I'm not sure).

I think they could have done better if they ditched UMDs completely post- PSV launch. Download codes work for everyone, and assuming they could provide a proper wifi connection for stores (don't they have something like Nintendo Zones in most game shops in Japan?) I can't see much of a disadvantage in slipping in a DL code into the game packaging where the UMD used to be. It may suck for people wanting to resell the game once they're finished, but it would have been less rocky of a start for Vita if you knew that you could buy new PSP releases in-store (this being a biggie, as there's a lot of collector items tacked on to limited editions that you couldn't get with a PSN download) and still play it on the Vita.

Road

According to a blog that supposedly posts some tracker sell-through, first day of Ciel no Surge was around 60%. It doesn't seem like high and unexpected sales.

Dalthien

Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2012 (Apr 16 - Apr 22)

38./00. [PSV] Lumines: Electronic Symphony <PZL> (Ubisoft) {2012.04.19} (¥3.990)

Top 50

3DS - 15
PSP - 12
PS3 - 10
WII - 9
NDS - 3
PSV - 1

Ugh...

This is starting to look a lot like the 360 during its dry spells (back when it wasn't completely dead yet), when the 360 would start having weeks with nothing selling more than 2,000 copies in a week.

Well, with how low overall software sales are this week, Lumines is probably right around 2,000 for the week, with nothing else anywhere in the Top 50. We might see a couple more weeks in May with no Vita games selling even 2,000 units in a week.

donny2112

I didn't know GT was third-party.

Missed that part that he was responding to. Of course the original full assertion that he was responding to was the Vita's barren lineup, and mentions Soul Sacrifice, which is first party. Still, he said third-party, even though that's a ridiculous restriction to throw in when talking about a "barren line-up."

muu

Missed that part that he was responding to. Of course the original full assertion that he was responding to was the Vita's barren lineup, and mentions Soul Sacrifice, which is first party. Still, he said third-party, even though that's a ridiculous restriction to throw in when talking about a "barren line-up."

yeah, it's not like the Wii ever got called out for it despite cleaning up sales-wise w/ just the Nintendo lineup.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
The 'one Nintendo game per month' schedule for 3DS started working again but the rule will be corrupted again.

Jan - Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir
Feb - nothing
Mar - Kid Icarus: Uprising
Apr - Fire Emblem : Awakening
May - Mario Tennis Open
Jun - Culdcept
Jul - Calciobit
Aug - New Super Mario Bros. 2

4 months remaining with 5 known so far titles

Summer 2012 - Demon Training
Fall 2012 - Animal Crossing
2012 - Luigi's Mansion 2
2012 - Style Savvy 2
2012 - Paper Mario

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The 'one Nintendo game per month' schedule for 3DS started working after 2 empty months but the rule will be corrupted again.

Jan - nothing
Feb - nothing
March - Kid Icarus: Uprising
April - Fire Emblem : Awakening
May - Mario Tennis Open
June - Culdcept
July - Calciobit
August - New Super Mario Bros. 2

4 moths remaining with 5 known so far titles

2012 - Luigi's Mansion 2
2012 - Style Savvy 2
2012 - Paper Mario

Eh, about this, what Iwata said today?

29.jpg

Here are the first-party software titles we have already announced. We will release them in a timely manner.

As we also have some unannounced titles to be released for this fiscal term, we are surely able to provide a fairly rich lineup of first-party software for this fiscal year. In addition, …

So, aside from Mario Tennis ( May ) and Calciobit ( July) and Demon Training...they list also Tomodachi. And there are still unannounced games.
So, this means there should be 5 titles + a certain number of other ones to be released between September and March 2013. It seems massive.

And, above all, what titles do you think they'll announce? Since NSMB2 has been announced in August, I've started thinking about Donkey Kong Country 2. But now I'm also considering the possibility of releasing a Kirby game, due to its 20th Anniversary. And if the Kirby game is a sort of spin-off such as Canvas Curse, Epic Yarn and Mass Attack, it could live with DK. But this is just me, maybe you've got something better. And maybe, since they're so willing to attract Western audience much more...a new Metroid Prime?

Just hypotesis. And to give to my post some other significance, here's what Vita games did in 2011 according to Media Create ( so, first three weeks )

[Vita] Hot Shots Golf 6 ( Sony ) - 64.412 / 92.993
[Vita] Uncharted: Golden Abyss ( Sony ) - 48.224 / 77.023
[Vita] Dynasty Warriors Next ( Tecmo Koei ) - 29.181 / 54.583
[Vita] Lord of Apocalypse ( Square Enix ) - 28.742 / 50.767
[Vita] Disgaea 3: Return ( Nippon Ichi Software ) - 22.453 / 36.870
[Vita] Shin Kamaitachi no Yoru: 11 Hitome no Suspect ( Chunsoft ) - 17.105 / 25.525
[Vita] Dream Club ZERO Portable ( D3 Publisher ) - 11.160 / 18.374
[Vita] Shinobido 2: Tales of a Ninja ( Acquire ) - 9.300 / 17.895
[Vita] Touch my Katamari! ( Bandai Namco ) - 10.357 / 16.773

Erethian

It really is an amazing result and makes the sales of KH and RE (to name the two other high profile 2012 releases) seem bad.

If I were Capcom or S-E I would be wondering what went wrong because the potential sales were higher (RE) and much, much higher (KH).

If perception of KH games on Nintendo handhelds (due to KH 358/2 Days and Re: Coded) really was a problem, as people assume, SE should have known about it beforehand and put out a demo well before launch rather than well after launch like they're doing. Hell, maybe even two demos, considering how that worked for Theatrhythm.

donny2112

yeah, it's not like the Wii ever got called out for it despite cleaning up sales-wise w/ just the Nintendo lineup.

When talking about the overall lineup, playing the "excluding" game is usually kind of ridiculous, regardless of system.

Famitsu site posts top 10 every month but I haven't searched if the previous month is deleted.

Found this for March 2012, but it's not a full Top 10 list. Is there a chart version on the site somewhere?

LOCK

The 'one Nintendo game per month' schedule for 3DS started working again but the rule will be corrupted again.

Feb - nothing
May - Mario Tennis Open
Jun - Culdcept
Jul - Calciobit

2012 - Luigi's Mansion 2
2012 - Style Savvy 2
2012 - Paper Mario

Plus what should get announced at E3, plus all the other unknown Japanese unknowns. Great line-up in my opinion.

Feb - nothing
May - Mario Tennis Open
Jun - Culdcept
Jul - Calciobit

2012 - Luigi's Mansion 2
2012 - Style Savvy 2
2012 - Paper Mario

I can totally see Devil Training be released in July, since Calciobit won't be particularly high in sales, while it'd be likely to see two games in December since it's holiday time.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Plus what should get announced at E3, plus all the other unknown Japanese unknowns. Great line-up in my opinion.

I agree. I just hope to see the vast majority of them localized for western markets.
We already know about Mario Tennis, New Mario2 and Fire Emblem coming to PAL territories, I think that also AC is a lock for autumn release, but I really hope that at least Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion can arrive within the end of the year.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
they really annoyed me during Japan-Gamecharts time.... and considering how many sites have been closed in the latest years, i was not the only one being annoyed by them....

I really hate them, honestly, for havig caused so many troubles to useful data archives...

they really annoyed me during Japan-Gamecharts time.... and considering how many sites have been closed in the latest years, i was not the only one being annoyed by them....

Did you infringe some rules? I remember they put some wrong numbers expressly, or something like that, to see whether some other website was copying their archives.

Yeah with all the focus on Vita and 3DS, PSP's drop week after week has gone unnoticed. That Sony hardware is shrinking fast.

The hardware sales gained from NSMB 2 far outweighs any software sales lost by it. Nintendo wants to put the Vita to rest asap. They have the Wii-U to focus and need all the third party support they can get on the 3DS. With that said, I don't think NSMB 2 will eat into SML3D sales that much, they're different enough to sell side by side, and its more likely that both games will compliment each other rather than cannibalize each others sales.

Remember the time when Brain Training were both fighting each other for the number 1 spot. And it stayed that way for ages. If I remember correctly they stayed in the top 10 for over a year.

Thanks for all the nice words for J-GC :)

Well, i closed the site not because GEIMIN annoying emails, but for a merely question of time.
I had to make a turnaround to my life and when you work and restart studying... time becomes precious, very precious.
It was not an easy decision, you know, i started to track data back in 2004, when DS and PSP arrived on the market, but i had to take a choice...

In the beginning i tried to estabilish a conversation with them, even if my japanese is not so good, as far as i understood they were hurted by my site half english - half japanese (every name of a game was translated to the corresponding japanese one), it seemed they had a particular (?) agreement with Enterbrain.

It was so strange but during all these years i found many interesting sites besides GEIMIN, YSO and Game Data Museum, but most of them were closed... All by the same reasons i closed J-GC ? I really doubt it... i wonder if some of them received some strange emails from GEIMIN or whoever else.

GEIMIN sent me many emails asking me to close the site, the funniest thing was when i received an email from "Enterbrain", which made me a little worried.
But... after reading the sender i started laughing loud, it was an email sent from excite.co.jp account :D
they really thought i was so dumb to believe it ? ahahahahahah

Game Data Museum was very impolite, he started to put on the HP "J-GC is stealing my data", that's made me really angry, cause his data are just taken from various enterbrain issues and he's not related to them in any way.
But being considered a thief was really unacceptable for me...

The most incredible thing was everything started when they noticed me.
What happened ?
Well, i thought it was correct to show the sources of my data, so i put links to their sites.
All i got was annoying emails and a "thief charge"................

Moor-Angol said:
that's made me really angry, cause his data are just taken from various enterbrain issues and he's not related to them in any way.
Yeah, seems like trying to set oneself up as the "exclusive stealer" of data would cause more trouble than anything.

Top Bottom