• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2013 (Apr 15 - Apr 21)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Guess Vita found its baseline, not great but not nearly as abysmal as before.

I wonder what kind of legs Tomodachi will display, it's a very nice start though.

Also what made the 3DS sell so well last year? I don't recall any killer software being released around this time.

Edit: Also Run for the Money makes a comeback, damn it's close to 500K. I remember being surprised when it reached 100k back in the days...

Last year 3DS had Kid Icarus, Kingdom Hearts, and Fire Emblem around this time.

Pokemon Rumble U is out today...but I doubt that will shift much.

I would say the next biggest releases are Revelaitons, Injustice and Pikmin 3 over the next month or two.. >_>

It literally has nothing to move units until July and even then...It's Pikmin so I'm not expecting the world.

Hmm, guess I might be wrong about Vita dropping below 10K by the end of the month after all. I'd give it another week or so before concluding that 15K is the new baseline, though.

That said, 15K baseline would be remarkable given the software lineup from here on out, but it's still not high enough to make the price cut a success from Sony's perspective.

Foshy

Just noticed that NSMB2 passed 2 million today.

That game doesn't deserve those sales at all, bleh. Makes me sad that it's over 3D Land.

01./00. [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.04.18} (¥4.800) - 404.858 / NEW

01./00. [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.04.18} (¥4.800) - 411.025 / NEW <60-80%>

I was expecting a bigger difference from MC to Famitsu numbers due to Digital sales, does this make sense?

Takao

Banned
[PS3] Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm (Bandai Namco Games) - 44.065 / 81.305
[PS3] Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 (Bandai Namco Games) - 63.675 / 120.782
[PS3] Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations (Bandai Namco Games) - 65.758 / 115.900

[PS3] Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 (Bandai Namco Games) - 87.661 / NEW

60-80% is a pretty large margin Famitsu ...

I think it's nearing the time where Sony need to reveal what software is on the horizon for the Vita. 15k is a decent baseline for it to truck along with for now, but they really need to start building momentum.

[PS3] Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm (Bandai Namco Games) - 44.065 / 81.305
[PS3] Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 (Bandai Namco Games) - 63.675 / 120.782
[PS3] Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations (Bandai Namco Games) - 65.758 / 115.900

[PS3] Naruto Shippuden: Narutimate Storm 3 (Bandai Namco Games) - 84.140 / NEW

60-80% is a pretty large margin Media Create ...

Freeloaders should be happy they get any such info ;)

Hmm, guess I might be wrong about Vita dropping below 10K by the end of the month after all. I'd give it another week or so before concluding that 15K is the new baseline, though.

That said, 15K baseline would be remarkable given the software lineup from here on out, but it's still not high enough to make the price cut a success from Sony's perspective.

15k as a baseline seems now ok-ish, but that's just because it's Vita. If you had said that the successor of PSP would have fought to have such a low baseline, you would have called it a bomb for sure. I don't see any difference to have a weekly baseline of 10k, and a weekly baseline of 15k; both are horrible numbers, in particular considering the price drops and the wave of software the hardware had.

I don't know, 15K would be something over 100% increase iirc, that seems like a reasonable baseline increase all things considered. Without knowing the margins pre- and post- price cut and software projections with and without, vs actuals, it's hard to draw that conclusion or any conclusion, on whether the cut was worth it.

You mean it will drop on next week which is traditionally much higher for all machines thanks to Golden Week boost ?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I don't know, 15K would be something over 100% increase iirc, that seems like a reasonable baseline increase all things considered. Without knowing the margins pre- and post- price cut and software projections with and without, vs actuals, it's hard to draw that conclusion.

I mean, just talking raw percentage increase can be incredibly misleading when the initial baseline was so low.

I was expecting a bigger difference from MC to Famitsu numbers due to Digital sales, does this make sense?

I guess if there's enough stock of the physical version people wont feel forced to buy download cards. People that really want the digital version might just buy it directly from the eShop.

Takao

Banned
It's not Media Create and if you are lucky Media Create will give the exact sellthrough at Friday otherwise wait for March 2014.

Yeah, I noticed my goof afterwards. I had also mixed the Famitsu numbers for UNS3 with the Media Create numbers for the rest of the series. My mistake, it's been fixed.

matmanx1

So what's the legs status on Soul Sacrifice?

Well, it hasn't dropped out of the top 20 yet although it's getting pretty close. I think the game is getting pretty good post launch support in the form of 2 new bosses every couple of weeks and Sony has pledged 10-13 total new bosses and some new game modes and arenas via DLC. Hopefully that is helping and will continue to help this game's legs.

I mean, just talking raw percentage increase can be incredibly misleading when the initial baseline was so low.
Except it's not in this case, because we know what the number for this week and the magic of mathematics means that people can work out the absolute increase and find out that it's not a large number.

saichi

I have to admit the sheer joy at a console "holding" at 15k in the middle of April is a bit disconcerting.

I agree. While 15K is about 2x the previous baseline, it's still pretty low. Now Sony bought some more time and we will go thru the cycle of E3, TGS, then Christmas again.

[NDS] Seventh Dragon (SEGA) - 79.757 / 147.749
[PSP] Seventh Dragon 2020 (SEGA) - 122.498 / 175.995

[PSP] Seventh Dragon 2020 II (SEGA) - 73,697 / NEW

looks like this one would have the lowest total out of the 3 entries.

Animal Crossing is suffering a bit from Tomodachi it seems, but it's already at 4 mln basically in less than half a year... Huge.

This is just crazy.

And Run for Money is back!

test_account

XP-39C²
Really great debute of Tomodachi Collection. Shall be very interesting to see how it holds up to the previous Tomodachi Collection game on the DS.

When even the gaming sites are taking internet rumours without credible source as news/story, you expect regular people to verify everything they read on the internet before telling other about it?

Putting "I'm pretty sure" before a blatant lie doesn't mean the lie is no longer a lie. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure 49ers won the super bowl this year.
Just a small note on the Mirai 2/"pretty sure" discussion from the previous thread, i understand why people did want it to be said that the game hit the bomba bins eventhough that a "pretty sure" was added infront of it, because it is possible that people might take the word on it indeed. I just wanted to point out that it wasnt said as a statement , but i fully understand why people said what they said about it. I just wanted to mention that in case my previous posts didnt make this clear :) (generally speaking, but i'm quoting you since we discussed it).

So what's the legs status on Soul Sacrifice?

I don't see any legs. It decreased gradually week by week. Of course, it couldn't always decrease by 50% or so; in fact, drops tend to be narrower as the weekly units are few. It might reach the 200k mark, though, which is, for such hyped and promoted game... ok?

I don't see any legs. It decreased gradually week by week. Of course, it couldn't always decrease by 50% or so; in fact, drops tend to be narrower as the weekly units are few. It might reach the 200k mark, though, which is, for such hyped and promoted game... ok?
It's a new IP and it would have should a lot better with a different art style. Still pretty good numbers I guess.

Obviously expectations are much lower for Vita now, which makes the 15k baseline look good. I expect it to maintain this figure for a couple more weeks, but after that, I dunno. The thing needs software to build on whatever invisible baseline has been created post-price drop. Soul Sacrifice continues to hold on, which is nice.

Good sales for Tomodachi! I expect it to have crazy legs but probably not like Animal Crossing or the first game. We'll see. Luigi continues to show legs ;)

WiiU, well...

I agree. While 15K is about 2x the previous baseline, it's still pretty low. Now Sony bought some more time and we will go thru the cycle of E3, TGS, then Christmas again.

Time is working in Sony favour, PSP and PS3 are slowing down so that enormous 3rd party support will need to move somewhere - so number of Vita exclusives or PSP/PSV or PS3/PSV titles will be increasing.

serplux

Obviously expectations are much lower for Vita now, which makes the 15k baseline look good. I expect it to maintain this figure for a couple more weeks, but after that, I dunno. The thing needs software to build on whatever invisible baseline has been created post-price drop. Soul Sacrifice continues to hold on, which is nice.

Good sales for Tomodachi! I expect it to have crazy legs but probably not like Animal Crossing or the first game. We'll see. Luigi continues to show legs ;)

WiiU, well...

Luigi will pass both Ocarina of Time 3D and Nintendogs+Cats next week in Famitsu to make it the 5th best selling Nintendo game on the 3DS in Japan.

saichi

It's a new IP and it would have should a lot better with a different art style. Still pretty good numbers I guess.

what's the point of this? It could have sold a lot worse with a different art style too.

Time is working in Sony favour, PSP and PS3 are slowing down so that enormous 3rd party support will need to move somewhere - so number of Vita exclusives or PSP/PSV or PS3/PSV titles will be increasing.

15K a week is not very attractive for big publishers wish to sell more than 100K for their titles. You are right about one thing with time is working in Sony favour though.Even if 3rd party doesn't move to VITA, VITA will get all the 3rd party titles after PS4 is released. We just need to wait for that library to build up.

Top Bottom