• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2014 (Apr 14 - Apr 20)

haha

I heard the iOS ports weren't that great. Is this just a direct port of a remake of a remake?

No idea. From the trailers I've seen about the game, the animations seem to be only barely improved, and I don't know if it fixes the myriad of other issues (performance, soundtrack quality, etc.) present in the iOS version.

daxgame

Damn, poor Just Dance! Not a fan, but still...

btw, who would have thought to see Vita and 3DS neck and neck. :')
Granted, LTD is what it is but still, it's nice, Vita can live with japanese games for a couple more years I think.

Low PS4 numbers must be because of Xbone announcement >:)

Li Kao

More like the consumption tax hit harder than most people realized. People don't like paying more for stuff then they did before. Who knew.

Err, pardon my ignorance but I just barely followed this tax thing.
How much % more are we talking about and what would be the average price of a game before and after it ?
Please disregard if the question comes off as annoying, your comment just sparked my curiosity. Must be a noticeable tax increase to actively scare away customers.

Beth Cyra

Damn, poor Just Dance! Not a fan, but still...

btw, who would have thought to see Vita and 3DS neck and neck. :')
Granted, LTD is what it is but still, it's nice, Vita can live with japanese games for a couple more years I think.

Low PS4 numbers must be because of Xbone announcement >:)

While I'm happy at the Vita increase, no one should be shocked that 3DS wouldn't do big numbers forever.

We've been shown the entire time that 3DS wouldn't do as well as DS, and that means it was going to hit it's saturation a lot sooner. It being around Vita numbers is something every single person should have expected once we got to this point so I'm not seeing how this is a big win for Vita like some are trying to claim.

RM8

I'll be bold and say Vita being neck to neck with a colossally cooled down 3DS is only worth celebrating in the sense that it was doing even worse last year. This is not some kind of battle of the giants, it's more like a fight between a very weak person and a moribund one.

SmokyDave

Japan wants a new Nintendo handheld.
I don't think it's safe to assume anything at this point.

I'll be bold and say Vita being neck to neck with a colossally cooled down 3DS is only worth celebrating in the sense that it was doing even worse last year. This is not some kind of battle of the giants, it's more like a fight between a very weak person and a moribund one.
The Vita isn't even supposed to be on sale at this point. To be jostling for first place is fucking insane and not something that anyone would have bet on 18 months ago.

It needs games, period. Also, the 2DS has to happen.

Wii U needs Kart 8 bundles badly.

PS4 needs games that appeal to the market.

This week is just ugly. I hope things pick up by summer.

To be blunt (not at you):

The 2DS won't do shit in Japan.

It's not portable enough.

It looks like a stopgap designed for the west & it feels like it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This time last year, the 3DS sold more than all the hardware combined this week. Huh.

I think this pretty much says it all.

We have had this situation before with major DS numbers outselling all hardware, but that was happening when sales were much better than they are now.

It's a deep pit into which things are falling.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
3DS is basically like DS in 2008, right now. Not in numbers obviously, but in terms of % drop in its 4th year. It's identical, so far. We're talking about a console that already sold over 15 millions in just 3 years in Japan, of course it's saturation. I'm not saying that Nintendo shouldn't do anything at all, though... and they're seemingly doing something now (the promotion I mentioned earlier, and that hopefully they'll advertise). Just that such factor should be considered when talking about its current sales. Obviously, if they launch next handheld around Holidays 2015 / Early 2016, it would be ideal, since doing it much later could result as poisonous to the successor's momentum (of course, they need also the right games / price / features, but that would be a start).

kswiston

From the reports we have been getting, Japan seems to be content with their gatchapon waifus on mobile. There will continue to be some market for traditional games, but I can't see another handheld from Nintendo doing as well as the 3DS.

Metallix87

That would definitely explain the lack of software for 3DS this year. Hope they do launch one next year.

I think a lot of 3DS content is being saved for E3 as well, honestly. That being said, I suspect that this will be the 3DS's last "big" year in terms of quantity of releases.

Tripon

Err, pardon my ignorance but I just barely followed this tax thing.
How much % more are we talking about and what would be the average price of a game before and after it ?
Please disregard if the question comes off as annoying, your comment just sparked my curiosity. Must be a noticeable tax increase to actively scare away customers.

Japan went from a general 5% consumption tax on all goods to 8% on April 1st. I believe the tax rises to 10% in 2016.

Chris seems to have the same price before and after the tax increase, so I'm not sure how exactly its been applied. And yeah, since its a general consumption tax on all goods, it has had an effect, especially on luxury goods such as gaming.

Asd202

so total hardware sales are 37% of what they were last year at this time.

ihb1p7AEpck3e.gif

Even with PS4 being out. Nothing more needs to be said.

Japan already have what they want, it's called a mobile phone.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
3DS is basically like DS in 2008, right now. Not in numbers obviously, but in terms of % drop in its 4th year. It's identical, so far. We're talking about a console that already sold over 15 millions in just 3 years in Japan, of course it's saturation. I'm not saying that Nintendo shouldn't do anything at all, though... and they're seemingly doing something now (the promotion I mentioned earlier, and that hopefully they'll advertise). Just that such factor should be considered when talking about its current sales. Obviously, if they launch next handheld around Holidays 2015 / Early 2016, it would be ideal, since doing it much later could result as poisonous to the successor's momentum (of course, they need also the right games / price / features, but that would be a start).

The main issue to me is not as much the sales curve as the saturation point being much lower, so they have to respond notably sooner if we don't want to go staring at a line-up of six sub-10K (or pretty close) platforms this time next year.

Bebpo

Banned
This was posted in last week's thread:

"[PS1] Super Robot Wars Alpha 434.934
[PS1] Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden 377.237
[PS2] Super Robot Wars Alpha 2 330.559
[PS2] Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 471.393

[PS2] Super Robot Wars Z 360.824
[PS2] Super Robot Wars Z: Special Disc 29.436
[PSP] Dai-2-Ji Super Robot Wars Z: Hakai-hen 307.019
[PSP] Dai-2-Ji Super Robot Wars Z: Saisei-hen 265.439
[PS3] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Jigoku-Hen 142.433
[PSV] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Jigoku-Hen 128.236"

Does anyone know if those are all first week numbers or LTD?

Considering how 3DS is supposed to be Nintendos breadwinner at the moment and Japan is supposed to be its best territory sales wise...yikes.

Go_Ly_Dow

PS4 needs all those 3rd party blockbusterS quick.

MGSV
FFXV
RE7
KH3
Tales port
Persona 5 port
Yakuza 6

1-2 wont do the job. It needs a library of all these to make the system irrisstable. (Along with price cuts and bundles to really push it)

kswiston

This was posted in last week's thread:

"[PS1] Super Robot Wars Alpha 434.934
[PS1] Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden 377.237
[PS2] Super Robot Wars Alpha 2 330.559
[PS2] Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 471.393

[PS2] Super Robot Wars Z 360.824
[PS2] Super Robot Wars Z: Special Disc 29.436
[PSP] Dai-2-Ji Super Robot Wars Z: Hakai-hen 307.019
[PSP] Dai-2-Ji Super Robot Wars Z: Saisei-hen 265.439
[PS3] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Jigoku-Hen 142.433
[PSV] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Jigoku-Hen 128.236"

Does anyone know if those are all first week numbers or LTD?

Looks like first week from what is available on Garaph

Hmm, bad sales for everyone, but the PS4's "hold" above the 10k barrier is something at least.

Damn, it really is a crappy situation when a hold is considered to be a good thing for a console that is going to cross streams with its predecessor in terms of the weekly aligned LTD in Japan. If I can just find that Chris1964 post listing it out side by side last week.

EDIT:-
Found it, modified to include this week's numbers. The PS3/PS4 streams should cross next week(!) at this rate. Not a good sign at all.
PS3 first 15 weeks

01. 81.639 / 81.639
02. 42.099 / 123.738
03. 32.662 / 156.400
04. 31.436 / 187.836
05. 50.171 / 238.007
06. 70.942 / 308.949
07. 76.882 / 385.831
08. 71.727 / 457.558
09. 69.944 / 527.501
10. 25.531 / 553.032
11. 21.105 / 574.137
12. 19.996 / 594.133
13. 18.727 / 612.860
14. 23.431 / 636.291
15. 20.676 / 656.967

PS4 first 9 weeks

01. 309.154 / 309.154
02. 65.685 / 374.839
03. 35.294 / 410.133
04. 29.677 / 439.810
05. 30.201 / 470.011
06. 23.327 / 493.338
07. 13.401 / 506.739
08. 13.034 / 519.773
09. 14.396 / 534.169

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I honestly think Japan would rather have Nintendo games on mobile.

Looks more like they don't want a dedicated handheld anymore - even Nintendo with it's handhelds moves more into a niche market.

...because now selling over 15 millions in 3 years (hint. Only 2 consoles sold around/over 5 millions per year in their first 3 years. One was DS. Guess what's the other one?) means that people want Nintendo games on mobile or that their handhelds are niche.

Oooookeeeey.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Why isn't the 2DS out in Japan yet?

I imagine they didn't warn to harm margin in what was their best territory, along with them thinking it's not an amazing fit given it's a portable centric market.

At this point they're heading into the dead zone though so it's about time to for them to wheel it out and hope they get a boost.

L Thammy

3DS needs new IPs and more mid tier games imo.

More specifically, I think Nintendo needs to target the Vita and PS3's audience - assuming they still can make ground on that front. The casual consumer is going to mobile and Nintendo will have a hard time grabbing them back. So, Nintendo's left with the traditional space and has to expand within that.

Do you remember really early on when people were saying that the 3DS seemed like it was going to be the true successor to the PSP? It grabbed Monster Hunter and Kingdom Hearts, but I don't think that ended up coming true for the most part.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
More specifically, I think Nintendo needs to target the Vita and PS3's audience. The casual consumer is going to mobile and Nintendo will have a hard time grabbing them back. So, Nintendo's left with the traditional space and has to expand within that.

Do you remember really early on when people were saying that the 3DS seemed like it was going to be the true successor to the PSP? It grabbed Monster Hunter and Kingdom Hearts, but I don't think that ended up coming true for the most part.

For what was left of their available game set Sony did a decent job forking out enough cash to keep it on Vita.

I mean it's a sea of ho-hum to low ball sellers, but it's something.

kswiston

...because now selling over 15 millions in 3 years (hint. Only 2 consoles sold around/over 5 millions in their first 3 years. One was DS. Guess what's the other one?) means that people want Nintendo games on mobile or that their handhelds are niche.

Oooookeeeey.

I assume this was supposed to be 15 million as well. Otherwise, you are way wrong :p

Bebpo

Banned
Looks like first week from what is available on Garaph

Thanks. Looks like SRW is hanging around the Z2 level with a slight decline, especially if you figure Vita probably has a few 10,000s sold digitally. Probably did a bit under 300k opening all things combined. Less than Z2-1, but more than Z2-2. Just makes it harder to track since it's split across PS3/Vita versions and digital versions.

RM8

More specifically, I think Nintendo needs to target the Vita and PS3's audience. The casual consumer is going to mobile and Nintendo will have a hard time grabbing them back. So, Nintendo's left with the traditional space and has to expand within that.

3DS needs to target Vita's audience? This is so wrong even right now after 3DS has cooled down. You never aim to be second place, especially not an ridiculously distant second place in a 2-horse race.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Funny how quickly Japan went from 3DS-land to ... sort-of-nothing-land

We're all happy for the Vita rise, but numbers wise a Vita in heaven is a 3DS in hell

mobile-land?

Metallix87

3DS needs to target Vita's audience? This is so wrong even right now after 3DS has cooled down. You never aim to be second place, especially not an ridiculously distant second place in a 2-horse race.

I do think, though, that Nintendo must see the niche titles on Vita doing reasonably well, and should be considering making moves to secure the devs behind those games for the next Nintendo handheld.

Top Bottom