• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2014 (Apr 14 - Apr 20)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Well if 3DS sales are enough than sure.

$170~215 = cheap
$199 = expensive

The only cheap thing about the 3ds is its hardware, not its price.
True, in a world where you can get kick ass 7 inch tablets with full HD screens for less than 200 the 3DS is anything but cheap.

This time last year, the 3DS sold more than all the hardware combined this week. Huh.

...well, shit. Talk about a complete collapse.

- The Vita is the only system showing consistent year-over-year growth, but not by nearly enough to make the sales any more than mediocre at best.
- The 3DS has completely and utterly fallen off a cliff compared to last year. Nintendo has hit saturation at current prices/models; it needs to do something about one or the other (or both).
- The PS4 continues to get fucked over by it's thin line-up of titles frontloaded with Western stuff and ports.
- The WiiU is the WiiU.
- Everything else is just old as hell.

And as usual, Rolex Watch continues to be frightening. Giraffes would think its are ridiculous.

Metallix87

They won't.

"4DS" will come next year.

Indeed. I imagine they already have a few teams working on launch software, and their hardware team has likely been working on it for quite some time. The absolute latest the new hardware comes out is December 2015.

Anth0ny

Why isn't 2DS out in Japan yet? The fuck are they waiting for?

Are they going to wait for the holidays to release a revision?

Road

Yo-Kai Watch #1
3AQmK.gif

For the first time since launch.

Longest time to reach no. 1:

2005-09-26 [GBA] Famicom Mini: Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) {2004-02-14} - 42.502 / 842.790 86 weeks
2014-04-14 [3DS] Youkai Watch (Level 5) {2013-07-11} - 49.146 / 757.821 41 weeks
2005-09-05 [NDS] Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day! (Nintendo) {2005-05-19} - 35.094 / 524.666 17 weeks
1997-03-31 [PS1] I.Q Intelligent Qube (SCE) {1997-01-31} - 58.778 / 424.585 10 weeks

My search also returns 1997-04-14 [NGB] Pokémon Red / Green (Nintendo) {1996-02-27} - 33.531 / 1.635.095 60 weeks, but I'm not sure if it's right due to some weeks missing in 1996, I think.

All Famitsu.

prag16

Banned
Finally a thread.

PS4 surprisingly still holding well, thought it would drop to WiiU levels by now.

Heh, oh just you wait until Kart drops. People are gonna love Wii U appearing above PS4 on these charts.. (sales for both will still likely be very poor.)

RM8

People are going to go all "lol WiiU chalkboard" when Mario Kart fails to turn the console around :/ As if anyone truly believes Mario Kart will make WiiU go Wii. I expect an okay bump, though.

Metallix87

People are going to go all "lol WiiU chalkboard" when Mario Kart fails to turn the console around :/ As if anyone truly believes Mario Kart will make WiiU go Wii. I expect an okay bump, though.

I don't think anyone believes the Wii U will go Wii. People are just hopeful that Mario Kart and SSB can get it to go Gamecube.

...because now selling over 15 millions in 3 years (hint. Only 2 consoles sold around/over 5 millions per year in their first 3 years. One was DS. Guess what's the other one?) means that people want Nintendo games on mobile or that their handhelds are niche.

Oooookeeeey.

You shouldn't make the mistake to ignore the actual and future perfomance because the first years were good. It's obvious that the 3DS was frontloaded because of an aggresive pricing, several hardware revisions and releases of various important IPs at an early stage of it's lifetime. Kind of like the Wii brand didn't have any legs - although for slightly different reasons.

But everything is okay.

Spiegel

Don't know about that, didn't 3DS do 113k in April last year and it's down ~30% YoY or so?

Yeah, it depends on how much it drops. Still, awful numbers for the system.

Also this was the fifth worst week ever for 3DS hardware (M-C).

2011-07-04 22,943
2011-05-09 18,324
2011-05-16 17,240
2011-07-25 16,415
2011-08-01 4,132

http://garaph.info/besttoworst.php?sys=3DS&gr=hf&tra=mc

Price cut, Smash, MH4G and DQXI announcement can't come soon enough.

Keyouta

Looking at the Wii U and 3DS YTD 2014 vs 2013 is horrible, they're both doing really bad.

The 3DS really needs a permanent price drop (not through sales or bundles) along with a new model out this year. When do you guys expect the 3DS' successor? 2015, or will they wait until 2016?

RM8

What concerns me about releasing a new handheld soon, is that Mario Kart 8, Pokémon X/Y and Animal Crossing: New Leaf are still fresh, and I'm not sure what software could drive a Nintendo launch. They most definitely would want to avoid another 3DS-like launch.

crinale

Looking at the Wii U and 3DS YTD 2014 vs 2013 is horrible, they're both doing really bad.

The 3DS really needs a permanent price drop (not through sales or bundles) along with a new model out this year. When do you guys expect the 3DS' successor? 2015, or will they wait until 2016?

and just for NPD comparisons for the 3DS:
January-March 2013: 559k
January-March 2014: 411k

April 2013: ~113k
April 2014: ??? (almost certainly <100k)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What concerns me about releasing a new handheld soon, is that Mario Kart 8, Pokémon X/Y and Animal Crossing: New Leaf are still fresh, and I'm not sure what software could drive a Nintendo launch. They most definitely would want to avoid another 3DS-like launch.

I think the key would be a couple of first party titles like 3D Mario and then getting Japanese third parties on board early by designing the system to their every request.

It won't sell a ton up front like that, but honestly launch 3DS numbers with a strong chance for notable upside after a year or so on the market is still a much better place than where the 3DS is now.

There's a reason why it isn't happening. Cheap handhelds sell, yearly premium phones with no buttons sell.

Cheap hardware is precisely reason why 3DS is barely matching psp sales in west.

To get back marketshare lost to tablets you need device that will be cool to own and use in public. And it needs to have multimedia features like a modern tablet which neither Vita and especially 3DS don't have.

Basically it needs to remove any needs such person would have for tablet/kindle/ipod while delivering games of higher quality than phone.

If Nintendo goes cheap again their userbase will be halved again and two generations from now they will be strugling to hit Gamecube numbers.

For the first time since launch.

Longest time to reach no. 1:

2005-09-26 [GBA] Famicom Mini: Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) {2004-02-14} - 42.502 / 842.790 86 weeks
2014-04-14 [3DS] Youkai Watch (Level 5) {2013-07-11} - 49.146 / 757.821 41 weeks
2005-09-05 [NDS] Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day! (Nintendo) {2005-05-19} - 35.094 / 524.666 17 weeks
1997-03-31 [PS1] I.Q Intelligent Qube (SCE) {1997-01-31} - 58.778 / 424.585 10 weeks

My search also returns 1997-04-14 [NGB] Pokémon Red / Green (Nintendo) {1996-02-27} - 33.531 / 1.635.095 60 weeks, but I'm not sure if it's right due to some weeks missing in 1996, I think.

All Famitsu.

good stuff really nice research

Metallix87

I think the key would be a couple of first party titles like 3D Mario and then getting Japanese third parties on board early by designing the system to their every request.

It won't sell a ton up front like that, but honestly launch 3DS numbers with a strong chance for notable upside after a year or so on the market is still a much better place than where the 3DS is now.

I actually wish they would launch the "4DS" with a new Animal Crossing. I think the Wii U doesn't really need a game in that series, while the handheld successor would come out of the gates swinging with a title that big and important.

Metallix87

Cheap hardware is precisely reason why 3DS is barely matching psp sales in west.

To get back marketshare lost to tablets you need device that will be cool to own and use in public. And it needs to have multimedia features like a modern tablet which neither Vita and especially 3DS don't have.

Basically it needs to remove any needs such person would have for tablet/kindle/ipod while delivering games of higher quality than phone.

If Nintendo goes cheap again their userbase will be halved again and two generations from now they will be strugling to hit Gamecube numbers.

I don't think trying to get people to use a 4DS instead of a smartphone or tablet is a reasonable goal...

Metallix87

Then say good bye to dedicated handhelds in 2-3 generation. Because competition for free time of consumers is only going to get more fierce over next years.

Possibly, but then again, a dedicated device will always have an audience, even if it's only 40 million people as opposed to 100 million people.

Albo

Sad that the place where videogames were born, is where they're dying first. The circle of life.

Has Nintendo even capitalised on this mobile boom yet like they said they would in the january investor meeting or are they going to wait till it's too late? Surely it doesn't take long to develop mobile marketing apps.

KoopaTheCasual

Man, I really hope there's a mini-mobile market crash (I don't think the crash would ruin the mobile market, but just make it not so overwhelmingly dominant). The symptoms to the original crash are already apparent in the mobile market with the saturation of terrible and manipulative software.

I just want it to stagnate, so developers and publishers will stop flocking to it, and just treat it as it's own avenue for returns just like PC and console space. Right now (in Japan) it's still the "new hotness" that everyone wants a piece of.

kswiston

Sad that the place where videogames were born, is where they're dying first. The circle of life.

Has Nintendo even capitalised on this mobile boom yet like they said they would in the january investor meeting or are they going to wait till it's too late? Surely it doesn't take long to develop mobile marketing apps.

I can't think of a single way that you can define Japan as the birthplace of videogames...

That is just not true. Its the place where Japanese games were born, for obvious reasons.

To a segment of GAF (especially JRPG, non-FPS and Action home console GAF etc.), it might as well be where gaming was born for them.

For me, it (the death and decay) sort of happened already during the post PS2 era when the mass exodus to mobile happened, starting with the dissolution of the B-tier JRPG console devs like Sacnoth (Nautilus) et.al.

Minions

It probably doesn't help that the average age in the country is aging rapidly.. It currently has the 2nd highest "average" age at 44.6, only being outdone by Monaco at 48.9; Less kids mean there are going to be less "new" customers. To be honest the outlook is pretty bleak overall. It will honestly be pretty interesting to see what happens. At the rate they are going there will not be enough younger people to take care of the old.

So while this may not be currently as large an issue; In the long term I don't see stuff selling as well as it used to regardless of what it really is. Shit sucks, and no one knows what to do about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aging_of_Japan

heidern

QOL is 2015 so 4DS will not hit until 2016 at the earliest.

Software sales for the 3DS seem to be decent enough even if the hardware sales are struggling at the moment. You shouldn't just throw a 15M userbase away that easily. The best bet to increase sales is price cuts and good games. Better to take risks on some new IPs than rushing a new piece of hardware.

Top Bottom