• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2014 (Apr 14 - Apr 20)

Iit looks like console/handhelds in Japan are ... deader than disco

So, what next?
Personally, I hope for a higher number of unique and interesting titles on the remaining platforms.
Maybe PC games make a resurgence, starting with Dōjinshi developers?

Longsword

What can be said? These numbers are alarmingly ruinous for consoles. Meanwhile, smartphone gaming (not even all of mobile) is now 50% of the entire gaming industry in Japan. It was 5.4 Billion US$ last year.

A serious suggestion: adding the current Top Grossing list of the Japanese mobile games on iOS and Google to these posts would give us far clearer picture on what the Japanese gamers are spending their money on.

"SOULCALIBUR Unbreakable Soul announced for PS3, 360 and mobile"

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=806763

I think this one speaks for itself.

Well at least it's on consoles too?

Ricky-Gervais-Facepalm-Laugh-Reaction-Gif.gif

Takao

Banned
It's useless comparison time!

[WII] Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2012.08.02} (¥6.980) - 367.148 / NEW
[WIU] Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.03.30} (¥6.980) - 33.302 / NEW

Wii U sales:
22.829 (DQX+Game & Wario) | 11.398 (week prior)

[PS3] Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Real Reborn # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.08.27} (¥3.300) - 184.018 / NEW
[PS4] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.04.14} - 31.326 / NEW

PS4 sales:
14.396 (FFXIV) | 13.034 (week prior)

I'd be really surprised if they tried a dedicated handheld again. There's not an audience for Sony portables anymore.

They could try selling a consumer electronics tablet with some buttons and sticks, but at that point the business model is basically entirely around hardware margins and it's not something you make games for in the same sense.

At this point they're just salvaging what they can out of the Vita with a minimal effort and trying to tide over their Japanese consumers until they either pick up a PS4 or they don't.

Losing what's left of the Japanese console market isn't really going to hurt them in the long run so there's no reason to run a loss leading handheld to entice people to their brand and thus the platform in the region.

I don´t think Sony will give up Japanese portable market when it´s so profitable. Outside of Japan the handheld is a different story.

randomkid

Speaking of ruinous console numbers, can someone do me a favor and list out games that meet the following criteria for Wii U, PS4 and XBO?

-Third party (i.e. not funded in any way by Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft)
-Exclusive (does not appear on any other system)
-Not a port
-Retail
-Developed in Japan

I know this seems like a picky list but it hasn't been a very tough bar to clear for any other system, I think Virtual Boy has like at least 5 games that meet these criteria?

For PS4 I can think of Lily Bergamo and Deep Down. For Wii U there's Taiko and maybe Sonic? (did Nintendo pay for those games? I guess the 3DS version isn't a port?) For XBO I was gonna say Dead Rising but apparently that was published by Microsoft and made in Vancouver!

Albo

It probably doesn't help that the average age in the country is aging rapidly.. It currently has the 2nd highest "average" age at 44.6, only being outdone by Monaco at 48.9; Less kids mean there are going to be less "new" customers. To be honest the outlook is pretty bleak overall. It will honestly be pretty interesting to see what happens. At the rate they are going there will not be enough younger people to take care of the old.

So while this may not be currently as large an issue; In the long term I don't see stuff selling as well as it used to regardless of what it really is. Shit sucks, and no one knows what to do about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aging_of_Japan

Interesting. I've been hearing about this lately. Isn't it strange then how mobile market which targets young adults is becoming so popular? Could this mean the mobile market will diminish eventually as most of the population gets even older?

It's must be a concern for everyone with the diminishing market, but nintendo especially who said they "haven't targeted children enough". They've been doing enough of that IMO, what about adapting to the situation and targeting the older market with QOL. Similar software to braintraining or wii music or wiifit for older market would be suitable for QOL.

That is just not true. Its the place where Japanese games were born, for obvious reasons.

My mistake, you're right. I was thinking only after the 80's games crash for some reason.

Speaking of ruinous console numbers, can someone do me a favor and list out games that meet the following criteria for Wii U, PS4 and XBO?

-Third party (i.e. not funded in any way by Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft)
-Exclusive (does not appear on any other system)
-Not a port
-Retail
-Developed in Japan

I know this seems like a picky list but it hasn't been a very tough bar to clear for any other system, I think Virtual Boy has like at least 5 games that meet these criteria?

For PS4 I can think of Lily Bergamo and Deep Down. For Wii U there's Taiko and maybe Sonic? (did Nintendo pay for those games? I guess the 3DS version isn't a port?) For XBO I was gonna say Dead Rising but apparently that was published by Microsoft and made in Vancouver!

Are Lily Bergamo and Deep Down going to be available retail? Isn't Deep Down FTP so I don't understand how that would even work?

For XB1, what about D4? Not sure if that's retail though

Thorgal

Are Lily Bergamo and Deep Down going to be available retail? Isn't Deep Down FTP so I don't understand how that would even work?

Generally . every game released in Japan gets a Physical retail version even if the west doesn't . so i would say yes they will be .

randomkid

Hmm yeah I didn't even consider Deep Down not being retail.

D4 is published by Microsoft and is episodic I think so I had assumed no retail.

Tripon

It's useless comparison time!

[WII] Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2012.08.02} (¥6.980) - 367.148 / NEW
[WIU] Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.03.30} (¥6.980) - 33.302 / NEW

Wii U sales:
22.829 (DQX+Game & Wario) | 11.398 (week prior)

[PS3] Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Real Reborn # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.08.27} (¥3.300) - 184.018 / NEW
[PS4] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.04.14} - 31.326 / NEW

PS4 sales:
14.396 (FFXIV) | 13.034 (week prior)

Wonder what's with the current malaise with Japan and the Playstation. We discussed Nintendo's inability to (re)conquer the console space, but its seems that Sony isn't doing much better.

Generally . every game released in Japan gets a Physical retail version even if the west doesn't . so i would say yes they will be .

Yeah it's interesting then. I guess it'd be a cheap retail SKU if anything? Seems odd to me though for a FTP game

Hmm yeah I didn't even consider Deep Down not being retail.

D4 is published by Microsoft and is episodic I think so I had assumed no retail.

Yes forgot MS is publishing D4

orochi91

Wonder what's with the current malaise with Japan and the Playstation. We discussed Nintendo's inability to (re)conquer the console space, but its seems that Sony isn't doing much better.

Need compelling games. Did they also have an increase in taxes or something?

BKK

For the first time since launch.

Longest time to reach no. 1:

2005-09-26 [GBA] Famicom Mini: Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) {2004-02-14} - 42.502 / 842.790 86 weeks
2014-04-14 [3DS] Youkai Watch (Level 5) {2013-07-11} - 49.146 / 757.821 41 weeks
2005-09-05 [NDS] Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day! (Nintendo) {2005-05-19} - 35.094 / 524.666 17 weeks
1997-03-31 [PS1] I.Q Intelligent Qube (SCE) {1997-01-31} - 58.778 / 424.585 10 weeks

My search also returns 1997-04-14 [NGB] Pokémon Red / Green (Nintendo) {1996-02-27} - 33.531 / 1.635.095 60 weeks, but I'm not sure if it's right due to some weeks missing in 1996, I think.

All Famitsu.

That should be right, highest position for Pokemon in 1996 was #2.

I don´t think Sony will give up Japanese portable market when it´s so profitable. Outside of Japan the handheld is a different story.

How do we know it's profitable? The system has only sold 2.8 million consoles since launch. And the system is nearing 2 and a half years old.

The PSP in comparison has sold over 20 million LTD in Japan (and 80 million worldwide). The Vita will probably top out at a quarter of the PSP's lifetime sales in Japan.

What are the Vita's WW sales? In the end, the Vita will likely only sell 1/10th of the PSP's WW sales, making it one of the biggest generation over generation crashes ever for a company. Rivaling Wii -> Wii U.

I highly doubt Sony will introduce another dedicated gaming handheld.

Edit - On another note, this is the most disastrous MediaCreate I have ever seen. Everybody and everything is fucked.

Not just in Japan either.

Nintendo games have been completely absent from the UK Top 40 chart for two weeks in a row now, and 3DS games weren't charting well before their total absence either.

I think its doing much worse worldwide. It'll rebound huge this holiday.

This year, holiday sales may make up more than usual of the 3DS 2014. It's the non-holiday sales that are troubling.

kswiston

I doubt the tax hike has an effect of more than a week or two post price change. Is $5-12 really going to stop someone from buying a system that is $150-400 if they were otherwise ok with the price?

I think its doing much worse worldwide. It'll rebound huge this holiday.

This year, holiday sales may make up more than usual of the 3DS 2014. It's the non-holiday sales that are troubling.

Hmm the 3DS doesn't seem to be doing so badly in Germany, France, or Italy from what I can tell

Yoshi's New Island is doing very well methinks considering its chart placements

Hell it's doing better in Germany and France then the XB1 SKU of TF although maybe the TF bundle has something to do with it

Wow, that's huge. What are they thinking? (that's actually like a 60% increase, if my math is right).

Uh I suppose that's right? If you're taking the relative percentage change in percentages then 8/5 = 1.6 -> 60%

But it's far easier just to talk about a 3% absolute tax increase

People need to stop blaming the tax hike. Even if you add 50% to everything's sales which is being extremely generous the market is still shit. The 3DS has been on a downward spiral all year. Vita's sales are normal for the lineup it has and has been overperforming for a good bit of the year. PS3 is on its last legs with a sucessor out. The PS4 has a shit lineup. Really the only system's sales that seem out of place is the 3DS and honestly with the info we have mobile eating into the 3DS market while the 3DS saturates explains that as well.

Mory Dunz

Hmm the 3DS doesn't seem to be doing so badly in Germany, France, or Italy from what I can tell

Hell it's doing better in Germany and France then the XB1 SKU of TF although maybe the TF bundle has something to do with it

Yeah, without heavy hitters, the software sales in Europe haven't really been that great, even last year.
UK has seen a noctiable dropoff though.

What's the next Wii U game to be released?

How do we know it's profitable? The system has only sold 2.8 million consoles since launch. And the system is nearing 2 and a half years old.

The PSP in comparison has sold over 20 million LTD in Japan (and 80 million worldwide). The Vita will probably top out at a quarter of the PSP's lifetime sales in Japan.

What are the Vita's WW sales? In the end, the Vita will likely only sell 1/10th of the PSP's WW sales, making it one of the biggest generation over generation crashes ever for a company. Rivaling Wii -> Wii U.

I highly doubt Sony will introduce another dedicated gaming handheld.

Edit - On another note, this is the most disastrous MediaCreate I have ever seen. Everybody and everything is fucked.

First of all i was talking about the market. Second of all the PSP sold at a sizable loss loss when it was launched the Vita was not. Vita has a better ecosystem than the PSP did world wide especially with around 48% of sales are digital. Memory cards are profitable. The Vita is getting plenty of software in Japan and abroad. Sony should not give up on Japan´s potable market because there´s a lot of money to be made even if the profit is marginal. It´s much better than giving Nintendo all the portable market and all the software royalties that comes with it.

Germany, France, and Italy are smaller markets compared to the top 3. Especially the US.

And is it doing better YoY in Ger/Fra/Ita?

Rolf NB

Wow, that's huge. What are they thinking? (that's actually like a 60% increase, if my math is right).
Yeah, that's what the tax increased by, but the effect that has on consumer prices is actually less than 3%.

I know we've talked about this before, but I'm never sure if it was all a big in-joke. It seems kind of ridiculous to think it would impact sales to a significant degree. But who knows. Culture and all that. I shouldn't assume.

Germany, France, and Italy are smaller markets compared to the top 3. Especially the US.

And is it doing better YoY in Ger/Fra/Ita?

It's probably down YoY in those territories as well imo but I think it's holding better is all I meant. From the little I've seen they seem far less apathetic to the system than the UK.

I do think the 3DS's future is highly troublesome at present

Tripon

First of all i was talking about the market. Second of all the PSP sold at a sizable loss loss when it was launched the Vita was not. Vita has a better ecosystem than the PSP did world wide especially with around 48% of sales are digital. Memory cards are profitable. The Vita is getting plenty of software in Japan and abroad. Sony should not give up on Japan´s potable market because there´s a lot of money to be made even if the profit is marginal. It´s much better than giving Nintendo all the portable market and all the software royalties that comes with it.

Wanna do a bet on it?

Handhelds don't just make themselves. The substantial R&D that goes into building these systems will prevent Sony from making another system, and if they do release another handheld it will not be the same kind of handheld you want or expect from Sony with the reduced budget they would be going into making the system. Plus, who in the world is going to sell this new system that would likely do away with physical media altogether? Sony will release something mobile related to gaming probably, but they are not releasing another dedicated handheld.

Also I would be shocked when if you take into account Vita's R&D, marketing, and game development if Sony has come anywhere close to profiting on the whole project. And the fact that Sony continues to sell the device does not prove they have made their money back.

lol what, that makes absolutely no sense

BlackJace

Liiiiiiike?

Top Bottom