• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2014 (Apr 14 - Apr 20)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Well said, as long as the can still sell +3 million copies at full price they won't drop the current format. Especially when spinoff like DQM2 are better suited to adopt the current F2P formula.

Takao

Banned
This should be Square Enix's product path for DQXI:

- 3DS
- port to PS4/Wii U/Vita
- port to mobile

The second one is the one I'm least sure of. We've seen Capcom and some other companies make easy money porting handheld games to consoles, and I can't imagine DQ would be any different. One of those platforms would help with visibility in the west too. But Square Enix is weird, as DQVIII really should've been on PS3/Wii U/Vita before a mobile port.

sphinx

the piano man
horii already ruled out one
another one has never seen anything dragon quest and is nearing the end

that only leaves one option
psp

PS3 has no chance. There are zero Dragon Quest games on the system.

PS3 has literally no chance.

There's absolutely no chance of DQ XI being on PS3. The sensible thing for squeenix would be to release it on the 3DS, then port it a few year later to mobile when it's done selling.

OK, OK!! jeez.

:D

haha, I thought that a high install base = a Chance at a mainline DQ but I guess I missed information.

KtSlime

OK, OK!! jeez.

:D

haha, I thought that a high install base = a Chance at a mainline DQ but I guess I missed information.
You can pretty much always tell what system will get it because SE spends the years prior to releasing the next mainline DQ releasing side games and remakes to build up an audience on the intended platform.

It will be 3DS, and down the road smartphone.

L~A

There's no real incentive to put DQXI on mobile as it's the kind of megahit that still sells on handhelds.

This might not be true in five years, but at this time the 3DS is the high revenue option here, while putting out things like DQMSL and ports on mobile makes sense.

Mobile has become the obvious option to replace 100-300K titles for most major publishers, but not 1 million plus.

While I somewhat I agree with this, I'd say that a handheld port down the line is much more obvious option. Reasons why is :

1) traditional audience is much more "stable", unlikely to jump to the next bing thing every once in a while. Easier to build an fanbase, too.
2) those "100 to 300k" sales are for 4000 to 6000 Yens titles, so that's still significant amout of revenue. And besides, those games got an adequate budget for their sales target.

What's more, if Nintendo keeps going with their "port your mobile games to our consoles" policy, a handheld port would be even faster, painless, and cheaper than ever. Granted, all games won't do P&D numbers, but if you can target traditional consoles for cheap, why wouldn't you do it? It's the same reason the PSV was and is still getting so many ports from PS3 : they won't sell 1M units, but they still allow publishers to get some neat money from them.

Actually, I'd say smartphones could end up a big opportunity for traditional consoles, provided Nintendo (and potentially Sony) do things the right way. But hey, maybe I'm just an optimist, or completely deluded :)p)

Exception is the pure casual games (Brain Training and co) : not expecting the userbase for that go back to traditional consoles ever.

BKK

You only got the color wrong. It's supposed to be pink, or was when it was printed 20 years ago. haha

All Nintendo numbers except the weird 92 NES match these. Probably a mistake by Famitsu.

I missed that thread, some really cool data there. Maybe they changed the chart colour without changing the text, the magazine is pretty mint condition. :)

The only mistake with the NES is for the FY92-93 in the Americas (3.15 million vs 1.34), but the LTD matches Aquamarine's numbers.

But there is also some strange things with the Game Boy. The LTD as of march 93 matches Aquamarine's numbers, but not the FY92-93 for Game Boy in the Americas (3.22 vs 3.73) and Europe/others (2.77 vs 2.26).

BKK, you also made a small mistake with the FY sales for Super NES (it's 5.61, not 6.61).

Is it worldwide numbers for Mega CD and Master System?

Thanks, fixed Super NES typo.

For Mega CD it should be Japan only, all consoles are named by region name, and there's no Sega CD listed. Where the same name is used in different regions the region is named in brackets. Mega CD launched in PAL in April 1993, but only in UK, Italy, and Australia (everywhere else had to wait for the Mega CD 2 in September). The UK received 68,000 units (probably shipped in FY ending March 93), for the April 4th 1993 launch and there were no more shipments until the Mega CD 2 released in September.

Master System should be Europe only (maybe Australia and Canada too) , I believe Virgin Mastertronic/Sega Europe's FY ended in January;

Code:
                       86-90(01) 91(01) 92(01) LTD
Master System (Europe)    0.690m 0.725m 1.745m 3.160m
Mega Drive (Europe)              0.193m 0.815m 1.008m
Game Gear (Europe)                      0.520m 0.520m

Edit: Including Famitsu data;

Code:
                       86-90(01) 91(01) 92(01) 92(03) 93(03) LTD
Master System (Europe)    0.690m 0.725m 1.745m 0.340m 2.70m 6.20m
Mega Drive (Europe)              0.193m 0.815m 0.192m 4.20m 5.40m
Game Gear (Europe)                      0.520m 0.180m 1.40m 2.10m

Note that SMS was discontinued in 1989 in Japan (about 1m including Mark III), and 1991 in US (maybe 1-2m, I don't have exact figures for that). By 1992 Sega was only shipping SMS to Europe (Sega Europe), Australia (Ozisoft), and Canada (Irwin). Samsung (South Korea), and TecToy (Brazil) manufactured their own.

fVaSIHs.jpg

Note typo should be 1990 not 1991 for MD;
hTbLeltl.jpg

I7Rxec3l.jpg

Foshy

Comgnet:

Code:
1.  [PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment - 239pt
2.  [3DS] Theatrhythm Curtain Call - 132pt
3.  [PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment (Limited Edition) - 100pt
4.  [PS3] Yakuza Ishin! - 59Pt
5.  [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 - 38Pt
6.  [3DS] Mario Party Island Tour - 27pt
7.  [3DS] Yokai Watch - 25pt
8.  [PSV] BLAZBLUE CHRONOPHANTASMA - 23pt
9.  [WIU] Famicom Remix 1+2 - 15pt
10. [3DS] Maple Story - 15pt
11. [PS3] Super Robot Wars Z 3rd - 14pt
12. [PSV] sister even want to say to your brother now - 12pt
13. [PS3] Let's Make a Pro Soccer Club to take Saka - 12pt
14. [WIU] Monster Hunter Frontier G: Memorial Package - 10pt
15. [PSV] Super Robot Wars Z 3rd - 9pt
16. [PS3] If You Thought It Was Harem Paradise, It Was Yandere Hell - 9pt
17. [PS3] Monster Hunter Frontier GG: Premium Package - 9pt
18. [3DS] selfish fashion GIRLS MODE declaration greedy! - 9pt
19. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Z - 9pt
20. [3DS] Harvest Moon New World - 9pt

Tsutaya:
Code:
1.  [PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment
2.  [3DS] Theatrhythm Curtain Call
3.  [3DS] Yokai Watch
4.  [PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment (Limited Edition)
5.  [PS3] Super Robot Wars Z 3rd
6.  [3DS] Mario Party Island Tour
7.  [PSV] BLAZBLUE CHRONOPHANTASMA
8.  [PSV] Super Robot Wars Z 3rd
9.  [PS3] Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
10. [WIU] Famicom Remix 1+2
11. [PS3] Samurai Warriors 4
12. [3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 1-2-3
13. [PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 2014
14. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Z
15. [PS4] A Realm Reborn: Final Fantasy XIV
16. [3DS] selfish fashion GIRLS MODE declaration greedy!
17. [3DS] Harvest Moon New World 
18. [PS3] Monster Hunter Frontier GG: Premium Package
19. [3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe
20. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V

Comgnet:

Code:
9.  [WIU] NES Remix 1+2 - 15pt
[B]12. [PSV] sister even want to say to your brother now - 12pt[/B]

Wut

SW seems to be doing well and did Ishin get a big bump.

Celine

Some old hardware shipments here, hope 20+ year old scans are ok...

I don't speak Japanese, so maybe someone who does can confirm or correct what I believe this shows. I think the blue bars are LTDs through March 1992, the Yellow through March 1993. First section Nintendo, second Sega, and third NEC.

Code:
Nintendo
                                 92(03) 93(03) (Diff)
Famicom                          17.39m 18.13m (+0.74m)
Super Famicom                     4.49m  8.64m (+4.15m)
Game Boy                          7.16m  8.97m (+1.81m)
NES (Worldwide)                  39.01m 41.80m (+2.79m)
NES (America)                    30.14m 33.29m (+3.15m)
Game Boy (International)         15.49m 21.48m (+5.99m)
Game Boy (America)                7.39m 11.12m (+3.73m)
Game Boy (Other)                  8.10m 10.36m (+2.26m)
Super NES                         3.35m  8.96m (+5.61m)
Super Nintendo                    0.19m  3.46m (+3.27m)

Sega

Mega Drive                        2.60m  3.00m (+0.40m)
Game Gear                         0.60m  0.90m (+0.30m)
Mega CD                           0.20m  0.28m (+0.08m)
Genesis                           3.00m  7.00m (+4.00m)
Mega Drive (Europe)               1.20m  5.40m (+4.20m)
Master System                     3.50m  6.20m (+2.70m)
Game Gear (America)               0.60m  1.40m (+0.80m)
Game Gear (Europe)                0.70m  2.10m (+1.40m)

NEC

CD·ROM (Duo included?)            1.00m  1.50m (+0.50m)
PC Engine (Hu card only models?)  3.65m  3.82m (+0.17m)
PC Engine Duo                     0.30m  0.60m (+0.30m)

Not too sure about what the writing in brackets says, especially NEC ones. And some seem to contradict (NES Worldwide increased by less than NES America), so maybe I have something wrong there too. I don't know if there's anything interesting contained in the main text or not.
Very interesting, thank you.

Is it worldwide numbers for Mega CD and Master System?
MCD is probably Japan only.
MCD sold about 400K in total in Japan.

L~A

Guess 200k opening for SAO is a lock then.

TFF:CC should be around 100k, hopefully.

And looks like MH4's bump is still going this week. Unlikely it's going to be in MC Top 10, though.

Guess 200k opening for SAO is a lock then.

TFF:CC should be around 100k, hopefully.

And looks like MH4's bump is still going this week. Unlikely it's going to be in MC Top 10, though.

You are quite the optimist :p The PSP SAO last year opened at 138k MC and the first Theatrhythm well under 100k (67k MC). Those would be big jumps over their predecessors if true.

cw_sasuke

Around 100k isn't as far fetched for Curtains Call I think, the 3DS Userbase is way larger compared to the launch of the first game. Around 100k should be the goal.

Takao

Banned

Google Translate is great.

I know the second one is the correct title.

DaBoss

Google Translate is great.

I know the second one is the correct title.
Holy shit lol. Japan pls.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
While I somewhat I agree with this, I'd say that a handheld port down the line is much more obvious option. Reasons why is :

1) traditional audience is much more "stable", unlikely to jump to the next bing thing every once in a while. Easier to build an fanbase, too.
2) those "100 to 300k" sales are for 4000 to 6000 Yens titles, so that's still significant amout of revenue. And besides, those games got an adequate budget for their sales target.

What's more, if Nintendo keeps going with their "port your mobile games to our consoles" policy, a handheld port would be even faster, painless, and cheaper than ever. Granted, all games won't do P&D numbers, but if you can target traditional consoles for cheap, why wouldn't you do it? It's the same reason the PSV was and is still getting so many ports from PS3 : they won't sell 1M units, but they still allow publishers to get some neat money from them.

Actually, I'd say smartphones could end up a big opportunity for traditional consoles, provided Nintendo (and potentially Sony) do things the right way. But hey, maybe I'm just an optimist, or completely deluded :)p)

Exception is the pure casual games (Brain Training and co) : not expecting the userbase for that go back to traditional consoles ever.

By "Mobile has become the obvious option to replace 100-300K titles for most major publishers, but not 1 million plus.", I mean that this is what most major publishers seem to be doing, so it's the obvious choice from their perspective.

Like if we go look at what Konami, Capcom, and Square Enix still release, we see this kind of behavior since the opportunity cost isn't a good fit. Even if you're making a fair amount of money, you're not moving the overall sales bar for the company in the way a hit mobile title can.

If we switch to a smaller publisher like Tecmo Koei, then 100-300K sounds great to them because that's a lot of money relative to what they make in aggregate.

TheChaos0

Comgnet:

Code:
9.  [WIU] Famicom Remix 1+2 - 15pt

Tsutaya:
Code:
1.  [PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment
2.  [3DS] Theatrhythm Curtain Call
3.  [3DS] Yokai Watch
4.  [PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment (Limited Edition)
5.  [PS3] Super Robot Wars Z 3rd
6.  [3DS] Mario Party Island Tour
7.  [PSV] BLAZBLUE CHRONOPHANTASMA
8.  [PSV] Super Robot Wars Z 3rd
9.  [PS3] Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
10. [WIU] Famicom Remix 1+2
11. [PS3] Samurai Warriors 4
12. [3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 1-2-3
13. [PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 2014
14. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Z
15. [PS4] A Realm Reborn: Final Fantasy XIV
16. [3DS] selfish fashion GIRLS MODE declaration greedy!
17. [3DS] Harvest Moon New World 
18. [PS3] Monster Hunter Frontier GG: Premium Package
19. [3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe
20. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V

As a comparision:

[PSP] Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment - 321pt + 98pt = 416pt

[PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment - 239pt + 100pt = 339pt

Code:
Media Create Sales: Week 11, 2013 (Mar 11 - Mar 17) 

01./00. [PSP] Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.03.14} (¥6.280) - 138.180 / NEW <92,96%>

Road

Prediction League May 2014

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Apr 28 to May 25):

[3DS] Mario Golf World Tour (25 days) -
[PS3] Idolmaster One for All (11 days) -
[PS3+PSP+3DS] Winning Eleven 2014 Blue Samurai (4 days) -
[PSV] To LoveRu Darkness Battle Ecstasy (4 days) -
[PS4] inFamous Second Son (4 days) -

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deadline: Apr 30 09:00 am (EST) (when Famitsu or Media Create first make their weekly sales public)
t1398862800z1.png

Attention:
  • Remember for some games it's not only the 1st week.
  • Multiplatform games are the combined available sales of each platform
Rules:
  • Do not edit your post after the deadline. If you do, you'll be disqualified.
  • The official monthly hardware sales will be the sum of weekly numbers for all versions of the system available from Famitsu.
  • The official monthly software sales will be the latest total or the sum of the weekly numbers if the title is release before the period available from the Famitsu Top 30.
  • The official monthly sales for multi-platform releases will be the combined available sales of each platform shown in the title entry.
  • The official monthly sales for games with multiple versions will be the combined available sales of each version shown in the title entry.
  • Any game missing in the Famitsu top 30 will be taken out of the predictions.

What a terrible month. Mario Kart 8, May 29, falls into June.

Oemenia

Banned
After all this doom and gloom, it's incredible to see another third-party franchise do well on the Vita (and keep boosting the hardware). Hopefully it becomes a home for Japanese core games since the PS4 won't be doing much help.

TheChaos0

Corrected, I must have got time aligned numbers or something. I was on the phone and all. ;)

After all this doom and gloom, it's incredible to see another third-party franchise do well on the Vita (and keep boosting the hardware). Hopefully it becomes a home for Japanese core games since the PS4 won't be doing much help.

And Vita was going to get discontinued last May. Let's not write PS4 off, just yet.

Takao

Banned
People assuming it's coming for a platform but want it on another.

Square Enix could make DQXI Vita exclusive and I'm still not buying another game in that snorefest series. I'm just saying that there's no reason for DQ to be exclusive, and that late ports to other consoles would likely make some easy money.

TheChaos0

Vita is doing exactly what it was expected to do since last May. Dead at west, mini come back at Japan.

Said people with some outlook on the market.

Don't take my comment too seriously, it's not meant to be. I'm just saying that throwing bold statements about PS4's fortune, whether good or bad, is a bit too early.

Ah, nvm. Was convinced numbers were much higher for the sequel.

But TFF:CC is definitely over 100k, I'm positive :p

Sorry, I should have cross checked the numbers with another source first.

Bruno MB

[3DS] Mario Golf World Tour (25 days) - 185.000
[PS3] Idolmaster One for All (11 days) - 90.000
[PS3+PSP+3DS] Winning Eleven 2014 Blue Samurai (4 days) - 55.000
[PSV] To LoveRu Darkness Battle Ecstasy (4 days) - 40.000
[PS4] inFamous Second Son (4 days) - 38.500

cw_sasuke

Square Enix could make DQXI Vita exclusive and I'm still not buying another game in that snorefest series. I'm just saying that there's no reason for DQ to be exclusive, and that late ports to other consoles would likely make some easy money.
This could be said for every game on existence, but when you can sell 4 million copies on a system with pretty low development costs I think SE will be fine. Every Vita and 3DS title could also get a PS3/WiiU version, so I don't see what's special about DQ, except that it doesn't need ports t be successful same goes for Pokemon, MH and Co.

Though I'll admit, depending on what kind of game it'll be a home console version might be a good move, don't see it ever hitting Vita though.

Takao

Banned
This could be said for every game on existence, but when you can sell 4 million copies on a system with pretty low development costs I think SE will be fine. Every Vita and 3DS title could also get a PS3/WiiU version, so I don't see what's special about DQ, except that it doesn't need ports t be successful same goes for Pokemon, MH and Co.

A lot of the conversation regarding DQXI expects a mobile port eventually. I think going from 3DS to just iOS is missing a lucrative market. Dragon Quest is such a big property that I can see a console port selling 300k+. There are few Vita or 3DS games that could accomplish that. A console port would also aid in any potential western release.

cw_sasuke

A lot of the conversation regarding DQXI expects a mobile port eventually. I think going from 3DS to just iOS is missing a lucrative market. Dragon Quest is such a big property that I can see a console port selling 300k+. There are few Vita or 3DS games that could accomplish that. A console port would also aid in any potential western release.
Wells it's not that easy, a port also involves further costs I doubt that PS4 owners will be happy paying full price for a 3DS title in higher resolution, not to mention that such plans might put publishing or marketing deals for western markets in jeopardy. If it's worth the the investment they'll do it, but I'm yet to see any evidence that a DQ multi title would do that much better in the West without first party support.

DQ like all its main title will at some point be on miles, but that's just the start procedure at this point - expect it there 12-24 months after the original release. Or it might not, DQ9 still hasn't been ported so they still have enough content to resell.

saichi

sorry we can no longer be friends :(

[3DS] Mario Golf World Tour (25 days) - 175,000
[PS3] Idolmaster One for All (11 days) - 90,765
[PS3+PSP+3DS] Winning Eleven 2014 Blue Samurai (4 days) - 50,573
[PSV] To LoveRu Darkness Battle Ecstasy (4 days) - 44,000
[PS4] inFamous Second Son (4 days) - 30,000

sörine

Banned

[3DS] Mario Golf World Tour (25 days) - 211,459
[PS3] Idolmaster One for All (11 days) - 73,187
[PS3+PSP+3DS] Winning Eleven 2014 Blue Samurai (4 days) - 56,745
[PSV] To LoveRu Darkness Battle Ecstasy (4 days) - 23,749
[PS4] inFamous Second Son (4 days) - 35,854

jnWake

MK8 is now at 69pt in comgnet. Anybody have the last numbers for other "big" Wii U games? (3D World, Pikmin 3, NSMBU)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
MK8 is now at 69pt in comgnet. Anybody have the last numbers for other "big" Wii U games? (3D World, Pikmin 3, NSMBU)

I don't remember the exact amounts, but NSMBU had a ton. MK8 already has more comgnet preorders than MK7 & MK Wii apparently though. Doesn't mean it'll sell more than previous iterations or anything, but at least some folks are excited about it in Japan.

Yeshua

[3DS] Mario Golf World Tour (25 days) - 200000
[PS3] Idolmaster One for All (11 days) - 100000
[PS3+PSP+3DS] Winning Eleven 2014 Blue Samurai (4 days) - 50000
[PSV] To LoveRu Darkness Battle Ecstasy (4 days) - 30000
[PS4] inFamous Second Son (4 days) - 20000

Top Bottom