• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2014 (Apr 14 - Apr 20)

Orgen

Prediction League May 2014

[3DS] Mario Golf World Tour (25 days) - 194.000
[PS3] Idolmaster One for All (11 days) - 58.000
[PS3+PSP+3DS] Winning Eleven 2014 Blue Samurai (4 days) - 67.000
[PSV] To LoveRu Darkness Battle Ecstasy (4 days) - 19.000
[PS4] inFamous Second Son (4 days) - 41.000

Frillen

Vita's expectations has changed consistently since its reveal. We all remember the $249 announcement and how it would destroy the 3DS and set the world on fire. Let's not forget that one either.

Vita's expectations has changed consistently since its reveal. We all remember the $249 announcement and how it would destroy the 3DS and set the world on fire. Let's not forget that one either.

How conviently you seem to forget a contex of those posts - at that time everyone expected MH to be on Vita and Nintendo had inferior 3DS still selling for 250$ and noone knew memory cards will cost 100$.

How conviently you seem to forget a contex of those posts - at that time everyone expected MH to be on Vita and Nintendo had inferior 3DS still selling for 250$ and noone knew memory cards will cost 100$.

But still, you can't deny that Vita was designed as the clear winner back then.
Also, this.

But you're right, back then, we knew too few. Vita was still a premise of 250 dollars handheld with PS3-like graphics and ton of support coming from both East and West. I don't think anyone could've seen such mismanagement coming from Sony.

Frillen

Well, that was my point, expectations later changed, and after that they've changed consistently, as I mentioned :)

I'm also one of those who don't believe cheaper memory cards would really help the Vita that much.

Foshy

The vita tv announcement thread was even funnier.
Then again, nobody knew how limited its functionality would be when it was revealed. The premise was pretty good, a home console with graphics between PS2 and PS3 for just $99? Awesome.

I wanted one, but when it came out that it's not compatible with >50% of my games I canceled my order and I'm probably not the only one.

Well, that was my point, expectations later changed, and after that they've changed consistently, as I mentioned :)

I'm also one of those who don't believe cheaper memory cards would really help the Vita that much

It wouldn't and I have been saying this for the longest. Vita could come with a terabyte memory card in the box and it would be doing the same numbers it's currently doing now.

SmokyDave

But still, you can't deny that Vita was designed as the clear winner back then.
Also, this.

But you're right, back then, we knew too few. Vita was still a premise of 250 dollars handheld with PS3-like graphics and ton of support coming from both East and West. I don't think anyone could've seen such mismanagement coming from Sony.
Ah, man. That article is gold. What could've been. I love this line:

"For starters, PlayStation Vita has games."

I can't remember where I stood on PSV vs. 3DS. I was too busy watching the furious ascension of mobile gaming. I'd imagine I'd have placed my bets on the Vita though (and probably did, I just haven't found the relevant post). I don't remember being especially bullish on the Vita until I actually got one. Mind you, I don't remember a lot from 3 years ago.

Eh... the moment Monster Hunter was announced for 3DS should have killed any idea of any meaningful competition from the PSV. (Yes, they're close in sales now, but one is 13M higher.)

I think the price of the Vita being announced at $250 should have been a clear sign that the 3DS was overpriced though.

Celine

Contrary to PSP, Vita was never perceived as a real treat for the respective Nintendo handheld, not even at the beginning.
Sure gaffers rejoice and gloated when the price of the two were revealed being the same but support wasn't there.

That's one good advantage (perception of impending overtaking of Nintendo) which evaporated last gen.

SmokyDave

Eh... the moment Monster Hunter was announced for 3DS should have killed any idea of any meaningful competition from the PSV. (Yes, they're close in sales now, but one is 13M higher.)

I think the price of the Vita being announced at $250 should have been a clear sign that the 3DS was overpriced though.
I feel like the damage was done before then. I might be misremembering, but I feel like the MH announcement was the final nail in the coffin.

After all this historic stuff, I'm going to spend my morning digging through my old posts and cringing like a motherfucker. I already found this weird one:
On this note, I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing Android powered, iPod Touch-esque devices. Capable of media playback, Internet & Email (wi-fi) & running apps but without the 'phone' component. They could be priced in an extremely predatory manner, I'd imagine.
No shit, Sherlock. Strange to think this was even speculation three years ago.

I feel like the damage was done before then. I might be misremembering, but I feel like the MH announcement was the final nail in the coffin.

After all this historic stuff, I'm going to spend my morning digging through my old posts and cringing like a motherfucker. I already found this weird one:

No shit, Sherlock. Strange to think this was even speculation three years ago.

Eh, that existed 3 years ago...

AniHawk

I feel like the damage was done before then. I might be misremembering, but I feel like the MH announcement was the final nail in the coffin

the mh announcement came well before the vita launched, and right after the 3ds's quick and deep price cut. there was still a bit of expectation that sony would at least net that series if anything for their next gen handheld, especially when nintendo looked weak.

Prediction League May 2014

[3DS] Mario Golf World Tour (25 days) - 203.000
[PS3] Idolmaster One for All (11 days) - 63.000
[PS3+PSP+3DS] Winning Eleven 2014 Blue Samurai (4 days) - 81.000
[PSV] To LoveRu Darkness Battle Ecstasy (4 days) - 22.000
[PS4] inFamous Second Son (4 days) - 30.000[/QUOTE]

SmokyDave

Eh, that existed 3 years ago...
From reading the rest of the thread it seems that there was one Samsung device, and it was shit. I just found it funny that I was speaking like a smoke-shrouded mystic about something so blatantly obvious.

the mh announcement came well before the vita launched, and right after the 3ds's quick and deep price cut. there was still a bit of expectation that sony would at least net that series if anything for their next gen handheld, especially when nintendo looked weak.
I suspected I might be misremembering. For some reason I thought MH was the point where everyone threw their hands up and said 'well, that's that then!'.

Oregano

From reading the rest of the thread it seems that there was one Samsung device, and it was shit. I just found it funny that I was speaking like a smoke-shrouded mystic about something so blatantly obvious.

I suspected I might be misremembering. For some reason I thought MH was the point where everyone threw their hands up and said 'well, that's that then!'.

Nah people were totally convinced it was going multiplatform and Vita was getting a superior version. I think some people are still convinced of that now.

Shengar

Well, that was some interesting discussion regarding DQXI, and....

shinra-bansho
Definitely Not Y2Kev's Alt Account
image.php

What the heck happened to you?!

crinale

As for Vita announcement, 3DS price drop and MH announcement lot have been going on in Japan (and thus many rumors were spawn too).
At that time Iwata-san was very concerned about the fate of 3DS, and he even made announcement to his employees that Nintendo may be in danger (yes he did say that). IIRC it was right before Nintendo decided the price cut.

Sad thing about that is the reaction from Sony for Nintendo fortifying 3DS support was to instead of counter it, loosen the support for Vita :(
My guess is that instead of going head-to-head they redirected the money to PS4, but what do i know...

Sadder thing is Sony's choice may be financially correct after all, oh well.

SmokyDave

Fair play, dude. You had the manner of the comeback correct as well. As you can see from people replying to you though, yours was an outlying opinion.

Nah people were totally convinced it was going multiplatform and Vita was getting a superior version. I think some people are still convinced of that now.
I have a horrible feeling that DQ11 is going to be the next 'it'll come to Vita.... eventually' game.

Oregano

Fair play, dude. You had the manner of the comeback correct as well. As you can see from people replying to you though, yours was an outlying opinion.

I have a horrible feeling that DQ11 is going to be the next 'it'll come to Vita.... eventually' game.

Probably, just like how DQIX is coming to PSP... Any day now.

To be fair SE did port FFIII to PSP like five or six years later so it could still happen.:p

You know that very often people spreading doom and gloom are very vocal, but that viewpoint doen't necessarily represent GAF in its entirety.

By the way I've also found this other postof mine that in retrospective seems to be spot on

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=46190292&highlight=vita+japan#post46190292

What the heck happened to you?!
Whatever do you mean?
My guess is that instead of going head-to-head they redirected the money to PS4, but what do i know...

Sadder thing is Sony's choice may be financially correct after all, oh well.
Given the phenomenal success of the PS4, definitely. Even if it had only been middling success, it's still the right choice. Vita is relatively inconsequential to their wider corporate strategy.

Invest more into a shrinking market that's always been something of a vanity project and that you've never been able to lead... or into the pivotal launch of your entire interactive entertainment business...

It's really a no-brainer.

KtSlime

Probably, just like how DQIX is coming to PSP... Any day now.

To be fair SE did port FFIII to PSP like five or six years later so it could still happen.:p
But their port of 3 was only to round out their complete playstation FF collection. I could be wrong but the PSP has 0 DQ games right?

Whatever do you mean?Given the phenomenal success of the PS4, definitely. Even if it had only been middling success, it's still the right choice. Vita is relatively inconsequential to their wider corporate strategy.

Invest more into a shrinking market that's always been something of a vanity project and that you've never been able to lead... or into the pivotal launch of your entire interactive entertainment business...

It's really a no-brainer.

That phenomenal success of PS4 is best thing that could happen to Vita really - it should free some resources to invest into Vita as PS4 will go forward fuelled by 3rd parties.

I miss your Gintoki avatar.
So are you really Y2Kev's alt or not?
You tell me.
That phenomenal success of PS4 is best thing that could happen to Vita really - it should free some resources to invest into Vita as PS4 will go forward fuelled by 3rd parties.
Err... That phenomenal success means the opportunity cost of investing any dollar into dead dead Vita rather than record breaking PS4 has ballooned.

Celine

No, you are remembering right.

Vita , even before launch, was seen as in a difficult position.
Launching after 3DS, with much less important software.
There was the hope Sony would secure MH on the system since PSP fortune was so heavily dependent on that franchise.
When Nintendo cut the price and announced the MH deal with Capcom, Vita small hopes crumbled down.
That was before Vita launch and we all remember Vita low performance in the first year and half.

Expected by whom?

I suggest you go and look at the MC threads from last May.
Rationale saleagers.

EDIT:
But Frillen is right too.
Vita expectations were lowered after the very bad sales at the beginning.
Even 3DS sales outside Japan disappointed.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I was among the fews looking for a Vita comeback even in early 13. What I wasn't expecting was to see 3DS numbers decline so much to see those two consoles head-to-head. Let's see if for 3DS it is "just" temporary (as happened to the DS vs PSP back in the days in Japan, both at a very different, higher, level) or if it is a "final" decline (I think that 2DS and price cut, plus some big release could help the 3DS in increasing its weekly pace, even if it best days have passed)
Diferent for the Wii U, instead, where I drop any hope after the weak HW increase due to the release of Pikmin 3 (something around 20k, if I remember well): that testified that they waited too long to give a vital signal, and the initial drought of software definetely damaged the image in the eyes of the public. I still believe that it could do better than this around Holidays and with a price cut + interesting bundles. But better than this doesn't mean good.

DaBoss

It's crazy to think the 3DS launched at $250. It feels like the equivalent of the $599 announcement for a handheld
Yea, it is. I don't think a handheld should be above $170 and launching at $150 would be the best possible price.

I got my XL at $150 and a Vita for $99 (used, could have gotten a new one for $130). I hope both Nintendo and Sony learned their lesson this gen for their possible future handhelds.

Kandinsky

It is so cute seeing you guys fighting over DQXI for lesser consoles, aka handhelds, when in reality the game is in development for PS4/WiiU.

KtSlime

It is so cute seeing you guys fighting over DQXI for lesser consoles, aka handhelds, when in reality the game is in development for PS4/WiiU.
Dude, are you high?

There is no console capable of supporting 4+ million sales in Japan at the moment. Especially PS4.

Top Bottom