• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2017 (Apr 17 - Apr 23)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
If retailers are indeed holding back stock for whatever reason, is there any justifiable reason for them to do so? What do they stand to gain?

happy customers. or more so.. avoiding unhappy customers who show up on Friday for the much advertised MK8DX only to find that they can't get the console to play it on.

in the case of what we're talking about.. it's not about manufacturing demand. It's about making sure units are available at a time when instant demand for the system will be at its highest (thus resulting in angry customers if its not available)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Great to see this type of performance for Switch. Just an attractive system regardless of the titles.

This early weeks without alot of announcements from Capcom, Level 5 and co. Couldn't have worked out better for Nintendo since they are demonstrating that the people are on board with the concept and Publishers better adapt unless they want leave money on the table.

There are exceptions but usually 3rds hate to be in charge when selling consoles or making a system viable... One of the reasons why Capcom bailed on the Vita.

Can see a bunch of Switch announcers this fall and a pretty strong 2018 lineup from a 3rdParty point of view. Def. good for the traditional market to have a new system perform like Switch.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
If retailers are indeed holding back stock for whatever reason, is there any justifiable reason for them to do so? What do they stand to gain besides giving their employees a harder time?

MK8 is going to have a large attach rate at retail. As you can see from the charts, There's not too much there currently.

Draxal

mystery's more popular but i'd still say it's actually the jugdral games which are generally more highly regarded in the fandom

Fandom is completely divided.

I would say MOE is the seminal favorite as pretty much every trope is derived from that game, Marth is still fire emblem in Japan.

As for best, you could pick five different games. 4,5,7,9,12, and yes 13 all have their defenders.

TheMoon

how did awakening or fates do in comparison? its not path of radiance/ radiant dawn numbers though right?

neogeo yeah... nintendo lost a big opportunity with the lack of VC at launch. i mean imagine Mario 64, Wind Waker, Metroid Prime etc. on that screen..

Old list compiled by Bruno MB
updated with some more current info

Code:
    20/04/90 [NFC] Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - ? / 329.000
    14/03/92 [NFC] Fire Emblem Gaiden - ? / 325.000
    21/01/94 [SFC] Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - ? / 776.000
    14/05/96 [SFC] Fire Emblem: Holy War Story - 228.578 / 498.000
    28/08/99 [SFC] Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 - 30.104 / 158.695
    29/03/02 [GBA] Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword - 126.267 / 345.574
    25/04/03 [GBA] Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword - 109.429 / 265.286
    07/10/04 [GBA] Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18970"]146.026 / 246.719[/URL]
    20/04/05 [GCN] Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45034"]100.357 / 156.413[/URL]
    22/02/07 [WII] Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144493"]73.337 / 171.924[/URL]
    07/08/08 [NDS] Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=331269"]147.704 / 252.309[/URL]
    15/07/10 [NDS] Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - Hero of Light and Shadow - [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=401887"]147.045 / 250.592[/URL]
    19/04/12 [3DS] Fire Emblem: Awakening - [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471649"]262.399 / 469.485[/URL]
    26/06/15 [3DS] Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest / Birthright - [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1073471"]353.201 /[/URL] 417.060+ [[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1277070"]CY 2015 totals[/URL]]
    20/04/17 [3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1364230"]131.668 / NEW 
[/URL]

cheesekao

happy customers. or more so.. avoiding unhappy customers who show up on Friday for the much advertised MK8DX only to find that they can't get the console to play it on.

in the case of what we're talking about.. it's not about manufacturing demand. It's about making sure units are available at a time when instant demand for the system will be at its highest (thus resulting in angry customers if its not available)

MK8 is going to have a large attach rate at retail. As you can see from the charts, There's not too much there currently.
I have no doubt about that but selling 50k in one week and 100k on the second VS 75k in one week and 75k on the second doesn't really make much of a difference but I guess borghe's explanation about unhappy customers may be a factor. Then again, people are gonna be unhappy regardless since it's consistently out of stock.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Vita had become a machine of super niche software and hardware sales reflect. There aren't titles that can top not 100 but neither 50k. God Eater 3 is is last chance.

Well things would be interesting until that price drop 3DS spike. I don't see how Switch could match it.

True, and unless - again - the Switch's legs collapsed, there's no real incentive for Nintendo to offer a similar sort of price drop, at least in the first year. Still, makes something interesting to watch.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I have no doubt about that but selling 50k in one week and 100k on the second VS 75k in once week and 75k on the second doesn't really make much of a difference but I guess borghe's explanation about unhappy customers may be a factor. Then again, people are gonna be unhappy regardless since they can't find it already anyway.

Those 25k in the previous week are less likely to pick up a game the system than the 25k in the next week. gams have higher margins than the system itself. Though granted they could come bac the next week to buy MK8.

Jesus, that Switch trajectory. The thing's legs would need to absolutely collapse for it not to stay ahead of the Wii U for the rest of the year, at this rate.

I mean, still well behind the 3DS cumulatively, but if the sales hold up, this could get interesting.

Nintendo's release schedule for the year is looking pretty brilliant now... They're spacing out the big releases so that there's decent supply between them and (ideally) larger supply during those releases.

July is going to be insane for Japan.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
True, and unless - again - the Switch's legs collapsed, there's no real incentive for Nintendo to offer a similar sort of price drop, at least in the first year. Still, makes something interesting to watch.

Splatoon 2 is the switches biggest shot. Everything pointing to that thing being a beast in Japan. If Pokémon comes, then all bets are off.

Tamanator

How many of the people in the credits are old Hudson Soft? For me those will always be Hudson soft people, not about to give Konami credit for something they only financed.

If it was all Konami.. then I don't get why they even bothered buying the damn studio.

The ghost of Hudson Soft obviously!

My understanding is that it was a joint effort between Hexadrive and former Hudson employees (with Nintendo helping in some manner).

Yeah. While 3DS had amazing first year in Japan thanks to that price drop it costed a lot for Nintendo. Switch while selling less is actually going to make money.

You mean konami :) since hudson died in 2012.
Unless you mean the ghost of hudson soft that can still be heard on a quiet night, as some claim.
Fun fact: The whaling sound that HD rumble makes when getting blown up in Bomberman is supposedly an EVP recording of this very ghost.

Nintendo's release schedule for the year is looking pretty brilliant now... They're spacing out the big releases so that there's decent supply between them and (ideally) larger supply during those releases.

July is going to be insane for Japan.

Splatoon 2 is the switches biggest shot. Everything pointing to that thing being a beast in Japan. If Pokémon comes, then all bets are off.

Yeah. While 3DS had amazing first year in Japan thanks to that price drop it costed a lot for Nintendo. Switch while selling less is actually going to make money.

Pretty much on all three points. So while the year could end up with the Switch technically selling behind the 3DS too (really, that's the most probable scenario), I wouldn't be surprised if it ultimately made them more money.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

If I were you I would wait 2-3 months before saying Switch can't match the 4,3m of 3DS first year.

Beckx

I need to search last year's threads to see how Famista performed compared to last year. It would be nice if sales are trending up.

Personally (based on the last game) I don't think the modern Famista gameplay holds up to what Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2016 offers, but it's still a decent arcade baseball game.

Tempted by this year's because they have the Japan Women's Pro Baseball League in the game and so you've got Yuki and Shingo Kawabata, brother and sister batting champs, in the same game.

PS4 back to sub 20k, Nier though!

Switch is doing far better than i predicted. I thought they would need a price cut and some new skus, i was wrong and i give props to nintendo.

Kolx

Is there any reason for Capcom not to release MH5 for Switch and PS4 as well? 3ds is huge but why refuse extra money?

oti

Banned

Splatoon 2 could be like a second launch for Japan. No idea if Nintendo is ready for the demand though.

jonno394

regarding no chart until May 10th, do we just get one chart covering both weeks or will we get the 2 individual charts?

Zedark

Splatoon 2 could be like a second launch for Japan. No idea if Nintendo is ready for the demand though.
Well, they will have had 5 months to prepare from launch (which is when they knew about the demand for Switch and Splatoon 2), so they should be getting ready for that already.

Old list compiled by Bruno MB

Code:
    20/04/90 [NFC] Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - ? / 329.000
    14/03/92 [NFC] Fire Emblem Gaiden - ? / 325.000
    21/01/94 [SFC] Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - ? / 776.000
    14/05/96 [SFC] Fire Emblem: Holy War Story - 228.578 / 498.000
    28/08/99 [SFC] Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 - 30.104 / 158.695
    29/03/02 [GBA] Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword - 126.267 / 345.574
    25/04/03 [GBA] Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword - 109.429 / 265.286
    07/10/04 [GBA] Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18970"]146.026 / 246.719[/URL]
    20/04/05 [GCN] Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45034"]100.357 / 156.413[/URL]
    22/02/07 [WII] Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144493"]73.337 / 171.924[/URL]
    07/08/08 [NDS] Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=331269"]147.704 / 252.309[/URL]
    15/07/10 [NDS] Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - Hero of Light and Shadow - [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=401887"]147.045 / 250.592[/URL]
    19/04/12 [3DS] Fire Emblem: Awakening - [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471649"]262.399 / 469.485[/URL]
    26/06/15 [3DS] Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest / Birthright - 353.201 / NEW

thx... so 250k would be a good guess for echoes.. not too shabby but definately a missed opportunity. i hope the Switch FE will do bonkers again.

they must be ramping up production. even if Splatoon 2 fails they have odyssey which will do good numbers world wide and MK8DX seems to be ready to do really well to.

If that WSJ report of them doubling production from 8m to 16m for the FY is true, I would expect they will have a good amount more of those units ready by June or July, if not sooner. I'm betting they'd allocate a lot more to Japan than elsewhere during the Splatoon 2 launch period too.

Salvadora

Nintendo looks to have, so far, spread out 1st party software releases in a pretty brilliant fashion.

Puts 3DS/Wii U in perspective.

L~A

I need to search last year's threads to see how Famista performed compared to last year. It would be nice if sales are trending up.

Personally (based on the last game) I don't think the modern Famista gameplay holds up to what Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2016 offers, but it's still a decent arcade baseball game.

Tempted by this year's because they have the Japan Women's Pro Baseball League in the game and so you've got Yuki and Shingo Kawabata, brother and sister batting champs, in the same game.

Well...

02./00. [3DS] Pro Baseball Famista Climax <SPT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2017.04.20} (¥5.700) - 48.142 / NEW

Famisu has Returns at 24 775 units FW / 77 932 units LTD. I think Climax will easily outsell it and top 100k and become the best-seller since Famista DS (112k LTD). Then again, Returns did have shortages after launch and couldn't be found in stores for a few days, so Climax will be more frontloaded. At least, there's the Golden Week to support sales in the next couple of weeks.

Famitsu has Famista 2011 at 47 873 LTD.

regarding no chart until May 10th, do we just get one chart covering both weeks or will we get the 2 individual charts?

We always get separate charts, most likely Week 17 on May 10th, and Week 18 on May 11th.

jonno394

So, if Japan is getting around 50K a week, I wonder how much the Rest of the world is getting? 200K a week worldwide shipments? 800k-1m a month? How do those numbers sound, far too big?

I imagine Japan and America get the bulk, could the latter be getting bigger shipments than Japan?

Beckx

Well...

Famisu has Returns at 24 775 units FW / 77 932 units LTD. I think Climax will easily outsell it and top 100k and become the best-seller since Famista DS (112k LTD). Then again, Returns did have shortages after launch and couldn't be found in stores for a few days, so Climax will be more frontloaded.

Thanks! That's a really great bump for the series, hopefully will encourage Namco to put more into the series. I'd love to see more baseball games coming out in Japan, and ultimately see Konami put out another PYS.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well...

Famisu has Returns at 24 775 units FW / 77 932 units LTD. I think Climax will easily outsell it and top 100k and become the best-seller since Famista DS (112k LTD). Then again, Returns did have shortages after launch and couldn't be found in stores for a few days, so Climax will be more frontloaded. At least, there's the Golden Week to support sales in the next couple of weeks.

We always get separate charts, most likely Week 17 on March 10th, and Week 18 on March 11th.

We time travel now.

So, if Japan is getting around 50K a week, I wonder how much the Rest of the world is getting? 200K a week worldwide shipments? 800k-1m a month? How do those numbers sound, far too big?

I imagine Japan and America get the bulk, could the latter be getting bigger shipments than Japan?

They are expecting to ship 16M from April to March of 2017. 1M a month worldwide doesn't sound far fetched.

ggx2ac

Nintendo looks to have, so far, spread out 1st party software releases in a pretty brilliant fashion.

Puts 3DS/Wii U in perspective.

You can thank Kimishima for that.

What are your expectations for the Switch?

Kimishima: In terms of how many units will sell, we’re looking at past examples where competitors, and our own Wii, had a lot of momentum, and that means the first year after it goes on sale will be extremely important.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...g-switch-q-a-with-president-tatsumi-kimishima

They had definitely planned for the first year of the Switch to be very important with regards to momentum seeing as how the Wii U fared with its software droughts shortly after launch.

Branduil

While eventually I think PS4 dies sooner than PS3 I think that PS3 and PS4 will still switch places couple of times in that chart.

Well things would be interesting until that price drop 3DS spike. I don't see how Switch could match it.

Price drop is right around the same time as Splatoon 2 launching.

jonno394

Price drop is right around the same time as Splatoon 2 launching.

also, if Switch can maintain its 50k weeks and has a 100k week for MK8D, it should be at around 1.5m by the time the price drop jump happens on that chart, and then as you say, Splatoon 2 drops a few weeks before the switch hits the 3DS price cut time frame too.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Are people buying it in advance because they know the big 3DS franchises + Splatoon are coming eventually?

It's weird to see it hold in the 40k range with nothing but launch titles in the top 20 and Zelda is the only game in the 5 digits.

Well there hasn't been any new releases except for Romance of the 3 Kingdoms back in 3/30 (which didn't even chart in the top 50), and now Spelunker, a f2p game turned into a normal game.

I thought that was Fates with its garbage story....

Fates (especially Conquest) had good gameplay and maps though. I hear that Gaiden's maps were terrible.

Top Bottom