• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 17, 2011 (Apr 25 - May 1)

Alrus

Sales age thread are getting really boring. It's pretty the exact same discussion every week. Yes the 3ds is doing bad, won't do better until autumn, that's pretty much all there is to say.

These jokes are getting really old.

Anyway, nice job for ImageEpoch first self published game, nothing too huge but for a semi-niche dev it's a pretty decent number. Also I wonder when DQJM2:p will stop selling.

Rahxephon91 said:
Is it possible that people just aren't interested in the the 3ds? I mean if it's main point is the 3d and a lot of Japanese handheld gamers play their handhelds on the commute. Isn't that kind of a problem, since the 3d requires you to be still? I mean I'm going to plead ignorance on these things, but I'm just asking. People are making excuses "oh wait for the games" or "it's the earthquake" , but could there just be something else going on?

Maybe 3D just isnt as provocative as people thought it was a year or so. Maybe marketing isnt convincing people to pick up these games

Laguna

Banned
Does anyone know were you can look after past Japanese releases (with dates)?. Or can anyone make a list of released 3DS games with dates and compare them with PSPs in the same timeframe?

hirokazu said:
Hmm, no hardware numbers yet? Was getting used to seeing them on Thursdays...

Thursday was a holiday here,

PSP 76,974
3DS 28,413
PS3 23,954
Wii 10,889
DSi LL 9,235
DSi 7,584
Xbox 360 4,082
PS2 1,582
DS Lite 319
PSP go 251

Note; this is the first week since MH3 that retailers reported not being supply-limited on psp

yankee666

FINALFANTASYDOG said:

PSP 76,974
3DS 28,413
PS3 23,954
Wii 10,889
DSi LL 9,235
DSi 7,584
Xbox 360 4,082
PS2 1,582
DS Lite 319
PSP go 251

Note; this is the first week retailers reported not being supply-limited on psp

Holy mother of God!!!!!!! i gues Sony made a smart move to suppy enough PSP for the golden week.
And for the 3DS, well at least is up a little bit from last week

FINALFANTASYDOG said:

PSP 76,974
3DS 28,413
PS3 23,954
Wii 10,889
DSi LL 9,235
DSi 7,584
Xbox 360 4,082
PS2 1,582
DS Lite 319
PSP go 251

Note; this is the first week since MH3 that retailers reported not being supply-limited on psp
With hardware sales like that PSP could go on in Japan for another two years.

Acosta

FINALFANTASYDOG said:

PSP 76,974
3DS 28,413
PS3 23,954
Wii 10,889
DSi LL 9,235
DSi 7,584
Xbox 360 4,082
PS2 1,582
DS Lite 319
PSP go 251

Holy shit.

NGP delayed forever in Japan.

FINALFANTASYDOG said:

PSP 76,974
3DS 28,413
PS3 23,954
Wii 10,889
DSi LL 9,235
DSi 7,584
Xbox 360 4,082
PS2 1,582
DS Lite 319
PSP go 251

Who would have thought that Monster Hunter would be the system seller for the PSP? As a huge fan of the PSP and someone who is really looking forward to the NGP, these numbers make me happy.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Alrus said:
Sales age thread are getting really boring. It's pretty the exact same discussion every week. Yes the 3ds is doing bad, won't do better until autumn, that's pretty much all there is to say.

What comes out in Autumn in Japan?

Elios83

With these numbers they should really consider if the best thing is to launch NGP this year in Japan although launching in Japan is much easier for them (smaller market, easier and faster to make shipments...).

Sony's handheld was the lowest selling system of the week. Even got outperformed by the decade-old PS2. I'm sure Sony is reassessing their handheld agenda, or planning on bailing out all together in the Japanese market.

251 units is embarrasingly piss-poor Even the NeoGeo Pocket didn't do as badly for the years it was active.

The Abominable Snowman said:
Sony's handheld was the lowest selling system of the week. Even got outperformed by the decade-old PS2. I'm sure Sony is reassessing their handheld agenda, or planning on bailing out all together in the Japanese market.
I heard that it's gotten so bad that they're cancelling production of it all together.

Lesiroth

[Nintex] said:
Somewhere out there Ken Kutaragi is smiling and hacking Kaz out of a job.
Indeed. PSP > 2x3DS and PS3 beating the Wii. Who would've thought this?

I'm not entirely sure why some are complaining this is boring, just because the 3DS isn't doing well. I think it's pretty funny myself, being outsold by a 6 year old system.

Jomjom

Banned
Nirolak said:
Actually, it's usually better to launch your next system when people still think highly of the previous one.

Yeah just as long as its not rushed and come with crap like Pilotwings and Steel Diver.

1-D_FTW

Nirolak said:
Actually, it's usually better to launch your next system when people still think highly of the previous one.

True. But if your most impressive lineup is western software that won't appeal to the Japanese market, it makes sense to go US first. Kind of why I thought they'd launch the Wii successor in the USA this fall even if they missed Japan. Those rumored titles for PSP2 seem much more western centric.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
1-D_FTW said:
True. But if your most impressive lineup is western software that won't appeal to the Japanese market, it makes sense to go US first. Kind of why I thought they'd launch the Wii successor in the USA this fall even if they missed Japan. Those rumored titles for PSP2 seem much more western centric.
Yeah, it's rumored to be launching in Japan last, but still within the year.

It is notable though that so far all the announced titles come from Sony, and Sony is primarily a Western developer these days.

Hot Shots is probably the biggest Japanese property they have right now, and I imagine it will be the lead first-party title for the Japanese launch.

Nirolak said:

Considering how many PSP exclusives continue to be announced most weeks in Famitsu, it seems fairly safe to say that PSP will still be thought highly of by February or March of next year. I suppose that the success of that strategy may vary depending on just how strong 3DS' Q4 lineup is, though.

KAL2006

Banned
Nirolak said:
Yeah, it's actually rumored to be launching in Japan last, but still within the year.

It is notable though that so far all the announced titles come from Sony, and Sony is primarily a Western developer these days.

Hot Shots is probably the biggest Japanese property they have right now, and I imagine it will be the lead first-party title for the Japanese launch.

To be honest Sony has never really had strong Japanese developers, the PS1 and PS2 japan games were usually from 3rd parties anyway. Looking back at SCEI and SCEJ their notable games were Wild Arms, Hot Shots, Locoroco, Legend of Dragoon, ICO and etc. But there are not many.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
jling84 said:
Yeah just as long as its not rushed and come with crap like Pilotwings and Steel Diver.
On this note, one thing that might help Sony is that it seems that the PSP has been in select developers' hands since the beginning on 2010, and in just about every major publisher's hands since TGS 2010.

This means that developers will have had a notable amount of extra time to make games, as well as being able to take their console technology and put it straight on the PSP2, which saves on development time as well.

We won't really find out if this strategy worked though until E3 and TGS.

Father_Brain said:
Considering how many PSP exclusives continue to be announced most weeks in Famitsu, it seems fairly safe to say that PSP will still be thought highly of by February or March of next year. I suppose that the success of that strategy may vary depending on just how strong 3DS' Q4 lineup is, though.
Yeah, that's another good question.

We know the biggest third party titles so far aren't scheduled until 2012, but we have to see how big of an impact Mario Kart and Super Mario Bros. 3DS make.

KAL2006 said:
To be honest Sony has never really had strong Japanese developers, the PS1 and PS2 japan games were usually from 3rd parties anyway. Looking back at SCEI and SCEJ their notable games were Wild Arms, Hot Shots, Locoroco, Legend of Dragoon, ICO and etc. But there are not many.
Yeah. I think they definitely know their weakness here though given how many Japanese third party developers they brought up on stage at the unveiling.

Jomjom

Banned
Nirolak said:
On this note, one thing that might help Sony is that it seems that the PSP has been in select developers' hands since the beginning on 2010, and in just about every major publisher's hands since TGS 2010.

This means that developers will have had a notable amount of extra time to make games, as well as being able to take their console technology and put it straight on the PSP2, which saves on development time as well.

We won't really find out if this strategy worked though until E3 and TGS.

Yeah there's no telling whether the strategy will sell systems, but with the easy portability of PS3 games, at the very least, there are no excuses for Sony if it comes out with as meager a slate of games as the 3DS launched with. Even if not everyone here likes the idea of ported PS3 games, to the mass public there will at least be a perception that the NGP is launching with an abundance of software if Sony decides to utilize what I feel is one of the NGPs strongest assets.

velvet_nitemare said:
Golden week arrested the fall, but could the 3DS dip below 20K in the next few weeks? Depends on how One piece and DOA do i suppose.

It very well could happen. DOA and One Piece will chart pretty low and will not sell any consoles whatsoever. In Japan at least, the 3DS is not going to get a boost in sales until Mario or Mario Kart releases or some innovative new game we've never heard of. Zelda has about as much selling power as a God of War game in Japan.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm guessing one of the "big" Japanese first party games for the NGP is Gravity Daze.

KAL2006 said:
Also Ape Escape, Parappa, GT, Arc the Lad, Doko Demo Isso, Xai, IQ, Popolocrois, Boku no Natsuyasumi, Rogue Galaxy and a bunch of others. I'd say SCEJ was pretty strong on PS1 and PS2, it just seems like since the formation of WWS they've probably lost some power due to decentralizing their authority. SCEA and SCEE by comparison have really grown though.

When Nintendo games actually come out, and the 3DS STILL doesn't sell good, then they're in trouble. I'm still a believer in that a system with such a low amount of good-great games won't sell that much, so I'm still waiting to be worried.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ULTROS! said:
I'm guessing one of the "big" Japanese first party games for the NGP is Gravity Daze.
I think that's more of a side/niche project.

Hot Shots PS3 however sold 410,052 copies.

Nirolak said:

there are definitely some third party games that will play a major role on NGP japanese launch. i'm sure there will be devs that will want to be the first at riding the co-op games (MH clones) on NGP in order to build a name for their franchises.

jling84 said:
Zelda has about as much selling power as a God of War game in Japan.
I don't think OOT 3D is going to do much, but this is pretty damn hyperbolic. On one had you have a franchise that sells 50k-100k and on the other 500k-1m.

lunchwithyuzo said:
I don't think OOT 3D is going to do much, but this is pretty damn hyperbolic. On one had you have a franchise that sells 50k-100k and on the other 500k-1m.

And anecdotal evidence suggests that there is significant interest in the game. I have no doubt that it will significantly boost hardware sales, though it's clearly not a game that will create a lasting boost on its own - whether 3DS sales will remain at a higher level or not will likely depend on how long this post-launch wave of software lasts, and right now, no major 3DS titles have been dated after SF64 ships in mid-July.

lunchwithyuzo said:
Also Ape Escape, Parappa, GT, Arc the Lad, Doko Demo Isso, Xai, IQ, Popolocrois, Boku no Natsuyasumi, Rogue Galaxy and a bunch of others. I'd say SCEJ was pretty strong on PS1 and PS2, it just seems like since the formation of WWS they've probably lost some power due to decentralizing their authority. SCEA and SCEE by comparison have really grown though.

Yeah Kaz is all about software, Putting Kaz in charge of things really I think shifted stuff around.

Plus they'd rather devote thoese resources to the much larger American market I'm assuming, If sony can succeed in America it almost certainly will lead to success in japan.

Other 100K Brands: White Knight / Patapon

Nirolak said:

PSP(including best version) sold 661,000+

Mrbob

Nirolak said:

Hot Shots is probably a good choice for a launch. Launch is when titles like this sell the best.

However, I really wish Sony would grow their Japanese studios. Sony WWS for Western software is amazing but it feels like a slow drip to see anything come out of a Japan studio.

Interfectum

PSP 76,974

3DS 28,413
DSi LL 9,235
DSi 7,584
DS Lite 319

6201888_00c0503e80.jpg

Well done, my friend... well done.

Mrbob said:
Hot Shots is probably a good choice for a launch. Launch is when titles like this sell the best.

However, I really wish Sony would grow their Japanese studios. Sony WWS for Western software is amazing but it feels like a slow drip to see anything come out of a Japan studio.

Indeed. SCEJ is like the slow child of SCEWWS. The first thing SCEJ should do is acquire ClapHanz, which is not even first party. Then allow PD to expand, from what I read they're much smaller than T10. After that they should expand internally to create bigger and better games. Buying out smaller developers is an option, but very few are exclusive nowadays in Japan, while there are still lots of 2nd party exclusives that SCEA and SCEE can buy out.

Delio

User33 said:
3DS is still bombing, wonder if Zelda is going to make any difference. Its a remake of a nearly 13 year old game so I can't see it being that much of a system seller. Then what's going to save the 3DS? Will we have to wait for holiday when Mario Kart comes out?

Yup Gonna have to wait till the Holidays. Which means more "3DS bomba" posts until then. Joy.

FINALFANTASYDOG said:

PSP 76,974
3DS 28,413
PS3 23,954
Wii 10,889
DSi LL 9,235
DSi 7,584
Xbox 360 4,082
PS2 1,582
DS Lite 319
PSP go 251

3DS was supposed to be under 20K, not spike up 8K units week over week, wow! You go Ninty, you go.

The_Darkest_Red said:
I thought the DS has a pretty poor launch line-up. I think the 3DS had a decent launch, as I've enjoyed SSFIV and Shadow Wars quite a bit, but their biggest problem has been providing solid games after the launch. There was/is literally nothing to look forward to until OoT.

True. The DS was pretty crummy. It did have SM64 though which was a lot of fun despite the slightly more difficult controls.

The DS did have Wario Ware and Kirby Canvas curse in the launch window which I loved. I think we all know 3ds will be fine in the long run, but right now I don't think I'm going to bite until I have more variety at my disposal. Nintendo is going to have another kickass E3 I'm sure.

Top Bottom