• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 17, 2012 (Apr 23 - Apr 29)

Kenka

fifagree2uueb.png

Source: http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...487-488e-ad86-b5bb74fe2408/Q4_FY12_Script.pdf
Sorry I am not educated, can anyone tell me what Gree is ?

Kenka

Something in big trouble in the next future.

Gree's Website said:
Our progress

GREE's network reaches 140 million users worldwide in April 2011, and plans to open 5 subsidiaries in Asia, South America, and Europe in October 2011.

GREE acquires OpenFeint in April 2011, and expanded GREE's global reach to over 100 million users to create a leading mobile gaming platform ecosystem.

GREE partners with Tencent, China's largest online community provider with approximately 600 million users.

GREE collaborates with Project Goth, which manages “mig33,” a mobile SNS with about 47 million users in emerging countries including Southeast Asia.

With 24 million users in Japan, GREE opens a subsidiary office in the Bay Area in February 2011.
They don't look like they are in any trouble...

As well as Wii U games (game?).

Sure

They count 58 portable games for last FY and 3DS+DS+PSP=53. Others is 5, so I would think that means that others equals Vita unless there is another portable out there.

For next FY there are 60 portable games and 3DS+DS+PSP=57. Others is 6 so that would make me think they have 3 WiiU games planned for next FY. That is backed up by them having 32 home console games counted with Wii+PS3+360=29.

So to sum up, in the next 12 months(counting April and May) they are going to have 3 Vita games and 3 WiiU games.

They don't look like they are in any trouble...

THEY ARE IN TROUBLE WITH MAKING BILLONS OF DOLLARS har har har har...

They(Gree) reported their earnings. today.. more then 118.1 billion yen in sales, operating profits of 63.7 billon yen. close to 200% up for this financial reporting period.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-08/gree-third-quarter-profit-almost-triples-on-higher-sales.html
Net income in the three months ended March 31 totaled 13.4 billion yen ($166 million) compared with 4.7 billion yen a year earlier, the company said in a statement distributed in Tokyo today. Sales rose to 46.2 billion yen from 16.4 billion yen a year earlier, it said

The Square side of Square Enix has been pretty busy w/ SNS gaming, with FF Brigade, Million Arthur etc. They explicitly announced they won't be doing any 'gacha' business in Dragon Quest X, which likely saved their ass in the end.

Level 5 recently announced they'll be putting more effort into Social Gaming.

Koei Tecmo's certainly got their own social games titles, but unlike Konami they weren't shifting to a Social-centric business model (Konami went out of their way to announce that previously, and that's why they've been hit hardest among the 'traditional' gaming companies).

Is it only me or it is true that Square Enix effort is actually decreasing in terms of production values from the period 2004-2008? I mean, they're developing a lot of game for SNS, but nothing compared to Crisis Core, Kingdom Hears Coded, SaGa, Dragon Quest, Dirge of Cerberus, etc. they released on mobile phones some years ago.

Is it only me or it is true that Square Enix effort is actually decreasing in terms of production values from the period 2004-2008? I mean, they're developing a lot of game for SNS, but nothing compared to Crisis Core, Kingdom Hears Coded, SaGa, Dragon Quest, Dirge of Cerberus, etc. they released on mobile phones some years ago.

They've got a different person in charge of mobile gaming now, New Saga is getting fully announced next week. They have released a ton... but it's mainly all ports, tons of new stuff was annouced at TGS and we've heard very little about it since then

duckroll

They've got a different person in charge of mobile gaming now, New Saga is getting fully announced next week. They have released a ton... but it's mainly all ports, tons of new stuff was annouced at TGS and we've heard very little about it since them

Yeah, most of their mobile stuff are coming from Ando and Tokita as producers these days. The director who did Before Crisis, Monotone, and Coded has moved into actual portable game development with Crisis Core, T3B, and Type-0.

They've got a different person in charge of mobile gaming now, New Saga is getting fully announced next week. They have released a ton... but it's mainly all ports, tons of new stuff was annouced at TGS and we've heard very little about it since them

Indeed, many people say S-E is supporting more and more mobile/SNS gaming but I think that even if this can be true in numerical terms, under the effort point of view, it seems a fallacy. A game like Before Crisis is surely more important (and with a higher budget) than, let's say, FF Brigade.

duckroll

Indeed, many people say S-E is supporting more and more mobile/SNS gaming but I think that even if this can be true in numerical terms, under the effort point of view, it seems a fallacy. A game like Before Crisis is surely more important (and with a higher budget) than, let's say, FF Brigade.

I'm not sure if that's really true. FF Brigade seems very popular, and it's probably very profitable. The most successful social mobile games these days have low production values anyway. Doesn't seem like a problem.

I'm not sure if that's really true. FF Brigade seems very popular, and it's probably very profitable. The most successful social mobile games these days have low production values anyway. Doesn't seem like a problem.

That's not the issue I'm trying to explain.
People seem concerned and worried about the shift of software house from console and handheld to mobile / SNS in Japan, give recent efforts by Namco Bandai, Konami, S-E itself. Imo, the problem is not that mobile / SNS are "stealing" games to traditional platforms, but simply they are growing as a cheap alternative, mainly for people who are not willing to buy a platform; people who play on PC have always existed (minesweeper and spider before, browser games and Farmwille now -just examples-), and not all of them consider video games as a hobby like people who purchase a dedicate device just to play video games.

So, it seems that S-E did not move resources from handheld devices to mobile / SNS gaming; it exploits the latter for cheap / experimental games, leaving bigger efforts on 3DS / Vita / PSP. This is proven by the fact that its effort on mobile gaming side was bigger some years ago, with titles like Before Crisis, Coded, SaGa, Dragon Quest Monsters / Battle Road, Front Mission 2089, Dirge of Cerberus, Final Fantasy IV-2, Itadaki Street... Imo, these games are not comparable with games like Chaos Ring or Song Summoner.

with titles like Before Crisis, Coded, SaGa, Dragon Quest Monsters / Battle Road, Front Mission 2089, Dirge of Cerberus, Final Fantasy IV-2, Itadaki Street... Imo, these games are not comparable with games like Chaos Ring or Song Summoner.

I see what you're saying, those game seem far more creative: but take a look at what we've got in the past year:

http://dlgames.square-enix.com/jp/ipod/

FF3 , Chrono Trigger, Chaos Rings Omega, Chaos Rings 2, nanashino, itadaki street, FF tactics, IMAGINARY RANGE, Dragon Quest wanted for android, Lord of Vermilon, kakusansei, 3 other social games.

Too bad Capcom doesn't count original and budget releases together (only for certain games?)
I believe they changed this within the past few years. Sometimes now they even add different versions, RE5's continued growth had to have included the Gold version for example.

Those MHP3rd figures most likely include The Best (but not PSN).

I see what you're saying, those game seem far more creative: but take a look at what we've got in the past year:

http://dlgames.square-enix.com/jp/ipod/

FF3 , Chrono Trigger, Chaos Rings Omega, Chaos Rings 2, nanashino, itadaki street, FF tactics, IMAGINARY RANGE, Dragon Quest wanted for android, Lord of Vermilon, kakusansei, 3 other social games.

Yeah; still, it doesn't seem S-E has put so much effort in this line-up, given that some of them are portings, some adaptation of existing games, and some really low-budget games. The game with the highest budget there could be Chaos Ring, and having played the first one, I can say it didn't cost more than half of what Lufia costed on DS.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So when can we expect the next bigger MH-clone to show up on 3DS ? Tri G sold and i would expect some other publishers also try to capitalize on it or are there still doubts about 3DS being the right for these multiplayer action games ? PSO 2 is already hitting PC/Vita so there probably isnt another one being developed, Bamco has been quiet about God Eater 2 last time it was announced as a PSP-only title.

Is there anything else ? Sony will establish Soul Sacrifice on Vita and 3DS will probably get MH 4 in Capcoms next FY. The MH clone market right now looks smaller than expected.

Spiegel

I believe they changed this within the past few years. Sometimes now they even add different versions, RE5's continued growth had to have included the Gold version for example.

Those MHP3rd figures most likely include The Best (but not PSN).

Nah, MHP3 was at 4.7M shipped as of June 2011. Those numbers don't include the budget release.

duckroll

Yeah; still, it doesn't seem S-E has put so much effort in this line-up, given that some of them are portings, some adaptation of existing games, and some really low-budget games. The game with the highest budget there could be Chaos Ring, and having played the first one, I can say it didn't cost more than half of what Lufia costed on DS.

I don't think you've ever played those "older mobile games" you seem to think so highly of. Chaos Rings blows all of them away. :p

So when can we expect the next bigger MH-clone to show up on 3DS ? Tri G sold and i would expect some other publishers also try to capitalize on it or are there still doubts about 3DS being the right for these multiplayer action games ? PSO 2 is already hitting PC/Vita so there probably isnt another one being developed, Bamco has been quiet about God Eater 2 last time it was announced as a PSP-only title.

Is there anything else ? Sony will establish Soul Sacrifice on Vita and 3DS will probably get MH 4 in Capcoms next FY. The MH clone market right now looks smaller than expected.

I'd expect a phantasy star portable sequel on 3ds probably next year sometime

Nah, MHP3 was at 4.7M shipped as of June 2011. Those numbers don't include the budget release.
You're right! I dunno then, I figured they'd changed given continued slow catalogue sales of some games upwards (RE4 on Wii for example) but I guess not.

RE5 Gold/Alternative must be added though, otherwise it would surely be a million seller on it's own by now?

I'd expect a phantasy star portable sequel on 3ds probably next year sometime
Yep. New Alfasystem PStar focusing on local multi for 3DS makes too much sense, especially since Vita's getting PSO2 now.

I still think God Eater 2 will be PSP only. 3DS will get a GE2 expansion or GE3 later, probably after MH4 has really brought the Survival Hunting base fully over to 3DS.

Spiegel

You're right! I dunno then, I figured they'd changed given continued slow catalogue sales of some games upwards (RE4 on Wii for example) but I guess not.

RE5 Gold/Alternative must be added though, otherwise it would surely be a million seller on it's own by now?

Maybe or maybe not. The two new chapters were offered as DLC and the original release of RE5 Gold might have not sold 1M worldwide.

Yep. New Alfasystem PStar focusing on local multi for 3DS makes too much sense, especially since Vita's getting PSO2 now.

I still think God Eater 2 will be PSP only. 3DS will get a GE2 expansion or GE3 later, probably after MH4 has really brought the Survival Hunting base fully over to 3DS.

There's definitely something going on with GE2. It was announced in September and it hasn't had many updates.

saichi

now that we know more about Soul Sacrifice. I don't think it would turn into the "savior" for VITA in Japan everyone made it out to be after the announcement for the reveal. Regardless if it's a clone of MH game and it may very well end up being a great game, I don't think it would become a blockbuster or even over 500K in Japan based on the track record of Marvelous AQL and SCEJ.

Truth101

Banned
now that we know more about Soul Sacrifice. I don't think it would turn into the "savior" for VITA in Japan everyone made it out to be after the announcement for the reveal. Regardless if it's a clone of MH game and it may very well end up being a great game, I don't think it would become a blockbuster or even over 500K in Japan based on the track record of Marvelous AQL and SCEJ.

Even if it was Demon Souls portable it wouldn't be a savior for the Vita.

BurntPork

Banned
Sure

They count 58 portable games for last FY and 3DS+DS+PSP=53. Others is 5, so I would think that means that others equals Vita unless there is another portable out there.

For next FY there are 60 portable games and 3DS+DS+PSP=57. Others is 6 so that would make me think they have 3 WiiU games planned for next FY. That is backed up by them having 32 home console games counted with Wii+PS3+360=29.

So to sum up, in the next 12 months(counting April and May) they are going to have 3 Vita games and 3 WiiU games.

That makes sense for Wii U, but is pretty poor for Vita.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It would be pretty damn cool though.

Vita doesn't have a magic bullet and is going to need a lot of pretty damn cools+why the hell nots+an attractive price.

I don't think you've ever played those "older mobile games" you seem to think so highly of. Chaos Rings blows all of them away. :p

Do you mean in terms of production values?
Well, I played RE:Coded and given it comes from the mobile environment, to me it looks a better effort than Chaos Rings. My point is that I don't see any shift of support from handheld to mobile / SNS given the fact that S-E has been working on the latter since early-2000, and even though in numerical terms we saw a growth, I cannot see an equal growth of support. Maybe I'm wrong, they're just my two cents on "omg, Japan software house on SNS /mobile!! Handheld market is shrinking" argument.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Maybe or maybe not. The two new chapters were offered as DLC and the original release of RE5 Gold might have not sold 1M worldwide.

There's definitely something going on with GE2. It was announced in September and it hasn't had many updates.

Yes, GE2 has completely disappeared. IMHO, it'll be a PSP 3DS multi release in the end...too much has passed from the last update. And it's Namco we're talking about here, not Square.

wrowa

Why isnt the 3DS version of Time Travelers up for preorder on Amazon?

The 3DS version has no confirmed release date yet. It'll most likely be released on the same day, but since the releases of the PSP and Vita versions were confirmed by Sony instead of Level-5 there is no official release date for the 3DS game yet.

Wow vita owners really are so desperate for games they'll buy anything released for it
Cheap phrases like this need to stop. They are oversimplifying reality and don't add anything at all to the discussion.

Vita owners are rushing out to pre order while it seems PSP owners can't be bothered

The PSP is a system that's at the end of its life cycle and the people who pre-order a game such as Time Traveler's on Amazon at the first day of availability are most likely hardcore gamers -- in other words: the sort of people who very likely already own either a Vita or a 3DS. It's no surprise that those people pass on the "last gen" version and it's also not saying anything at all about the general sales potential of any of these versions.

Top Bottom