• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 17, 2014 (Apr 21 - Apr 27)

Kacho

Gold Member
The lack of Japanese support for the PS4 makes me sad. Hopefully they start announcing stuff before TGS.

They're localizing the SAO game? That's surprising, Namco usually doesn't bother with that kind of game in the west unless it's from huge shonen franchises.

Namco's getting a lot better at localizing RPGs these days. I'm guessing Ni no Kuni convinced them that maybe there was more of a market for RPGs outside Japan than they thought.

Kysen

Problem for Sony is that even if they have JP devs signed up to make games they wont be done for months. Seems like very few JP devs even got dev kits before launch.

Mory Dunz

Code:
Kirby Mass Attack		
2011-08-01		70,675
2011-08-08		47,295
2011-08-15		34,145
2011-08-22		17,771
2011-08-29		13,673
2011-09-05		9,133
2011-09-12		8,982
2011-09-19		10,810
2011-09-26		6,999
2011-10-03		6,834
2011-10-10		6,738
2011-10-17		6,630
2011-10-24		5,712
2011-10-31		6,138
2011-11-07		4,194

Hmm

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
The lack of Japanese support for the PS4 makes me sad. Hopefully they start announcing stuff before TGS.

Am pretty sure without a doubt there is "support" the problem is all the geniuses got on board too late as they were dragging their feet. Hence the wonderful situation we are stuck with here in country.

Will have to wait and see what the TGS brings, hell even the E3.

At least one positive here on a separate note is a lot of devs are making the shift to the PSV.

18./00. [PS3] Harem Tengoku da to Omottara Yandere Jigoku Datta <ADV> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2014.04.24} (¥7.344) - 4.101 / NEW

0xwNEdn.jpg

Yikes.

Takao

Banned
I updated Chris's list because it has happened:

PS3 first 15 weeks

01. 81.639 / 81.639
02. 42.099 / 123.738
03. 32.662 / 156.400
04. 31.436 / 187.836
05. 50.171 / 238.007
06. 70.942 / 308.939
07. 76.882 / 385.831
08. 71.727 / 457.558
09. 69.944 / 527.551
10. 25.531 / 553.032
11. 21.105 / 574.137
12. 19.996 / 594.133
13. 18.727 / 612.860
14. 23.431 / 636.291
15. 20.676 / 656.967

PS4 first 10 weeks

01. 309.154 / 309.154
02. 65.685 / 374.839
03. 35.294 / 410.133
04. 29.677 / 439.810
05. 30.201 / 470.021
06. 23.327 / 493.328
07. 13.401 / 506.759
08. 13.034 / 519.773
09. 14.396 / 534.169
10. 12.712 / 546.881

Week 10 is the one.

I'll make a thread, but I'm going to need some time to make it a bit more than just these numbers.

Is japan getting a BL2 vita bundle?

Borderlands 2 Vita hasn't been announced for a Japanese release, and when (if?) it does, there's next to no chance it gets a bundle.

Faustek

Oooh Chris is back! Long live the Chris!

On topic:

Booooo! Booooo! The sales, still, aren't there. Was expecting a much higher software sale and hardware.

Is it just me or is Sony really bad att releasing custom hardware? Even in the land where the Zombie king is "thriving"?

Indeed. It actually has less worthwhile content than the Wii U right now, and no one is buying the Wii U and what it has to offer. PS4 likely hits 5k sooner than the Wii U did.

In Japan? Debatable.

In Japan.

Not debatable at all lol.

FF, KH, RE, MGS, GTA, Tales, Yakuza, Gundam......yeah.

Metallix87

Sony probably has a pedestal praying for FFXV and KH3 to be really bloody awesome and reignite the excitement of FF back in Japan... and a 2015 release date for the former.

Well, also on the rising popularity of western games in Japan.
Yeah, basically. I'm surprised that some people are expecting major Japanese third party titles at E3 and TGS. Those devs are working on games for 3DS and Mobile, where the real money is.

In Japan.

Cool, when are all of those coming out?

sense

I fail to see the distinction. It's selling horribly because there's no interesting software for it. Same as the WiiU.

Exactly. What's the big mystery? It's obvious why it isn't performing well.

yea one has big western ips and big home console japanese games yet to release like resident evil, kingdom hearts 3, ffxv, mgs 5, tales, mainline yakuza gundam etc.... . unless these come out and fail to do anything to increase the install base it is pre mature to just say console gaming is dead in japan and ps4 is dead and buried. right now it is obviously a wasteland for japanese gamers and i fail to see why they would buy a ps4 so the sales are expected to be horrible.

vita was supposed to be dead and buried in japan but nowadays it seems to be like everybody that said that has resigned to the fact it has made a mini comeback or it will survive to be a niche device or whatever in japan and vita did that without any of those aforemention big titles. people need to hold on to their horses before making statements like console gaming is dead in japan.

i am not saying ps4 is guaranteed to be a success but atleast let them come out before judging a console in the first 3 months.

@below i am sure those comments are just directed at people that seem to launch align wii u and ps4 and saying ps4 is worse than it. it doesn't mean if ps4 had come out during holidays it would be selling through the roof but it probably would be neck and neck with wii u right now

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I really don't understand don't Sony apologists using the holiday argument as an excuse for ps4's poor sales. So, let me get this right people have been waiting for the ps4 for YEARS but it's not selling well because it's not the holiday season?

It could be the apocalypse tomorrow if I wanted a ps4 I'd buy one. I wouldn't wait till the holiday season

TheChaos0

Sony probably has a pedestal praying for FFXV and KH3 to be really bloody awesome and reignite the excitement of FF back in Japan... and a 2015 release date for the former.

Well, also on the rising popularity of western games in Japan.

You only have to look at how much GTA5 has sold. Certain Western games are starting to reach Japanese audience and WiiU is not going to have all these.

I don't think there is a lack excitement for FF titles per se, I don't think you can judge it by FFXIII-2 and LR, definitely not by LR. When you release a sequel to game with lukewarm response, you are not going to sell many copies. FFXIII on it's own sold very well, so did an HD remaster of FFX. If you ask me now, I don't doubt that FFXV LTD will out do FFXIII's.

C'mon and when are they coming out on WiiU? At least I can answer that question - never. What is there past Mario Cart and Smash (Bayo and X)? One can hope for Zelda for 2015 holiday season.

I really don't understand don't Sony apologists using the holiday argument as an excuse for ps4's poor sales. So, let me get this right people have been waiting for the ps4 for YEARS but it's not selling well because it's not the holiday season?

Umm... no.

They're saying it's not selling because there's no games.

I am proud to say Im part of that count there.

How is the game?

Yeah, basically. I'm surprised that some people are expecting major Japanese third party titles at E3 and TGS. Those devs are working on games for 3DS and Mobile, where the real money is.

The fact that those franchises are going to be on PS4 already means it will have a far brighter future.

Whats WiiU got after MK and Smash? We all know how much Zelda has died down in JP.

Metallix87

yea one has big western ips and big home console japanese games yet to release like resident evil, kingdom hearts 3, ffxv, mgs 5, tales, mainline yakuza gundam etc.... . unless these come out and fail to do anything to increase the install base it is pre mature to just say console gaming is dead in japan and ps4 is dead and buried. right now it is obviously a wasteland for japanese gamers and i fail to see why they would buy a ps4 so the sales are expected to be horrible.

vita was supposed to be dead and buried in japan but nowadays it seems to be like everybody that said that has resigned to the fact it has made a mini comeback or it will survive to be a niche device or whatever in japan and vita did that without any of those aforemention big titles. people need to hold on to their horses before making statements like console gaming is dead in japan.

i am not saying ps4 is guaranteed to be a success but atleast let them come out before judging a console in the first 3 months.
Those games are literally a year or two away, if not more. Also, the comparison to Vita is likely very apt, since I suspect that's the type of future that awaits the system in Japan.

We'll get those games, but Japan was obviously at the very least, one year behind the rest of the industry when it comes to current gen.

Last year, practically every single game announcement for 2014 was for last-gen. Even the TGS announcements like Gundam, IDOLM@STER, etc felt more like blanket acknowledgements of current-gen, where it's basically "we'll come to PS4... eventually."

I personally think this year's TGS could be good, but I'm basically expecting the rest of 2014 to be extremely dull in the Japanese market.

L Thammy

It makes sense in the context of the PS4 being compared to the Wii U. The Wii U's early numbers would be bloated because it experienced a holiday season and was boosted due to that period.

Those Wii U games are coming out this year, though, not in the distant future. Plus, you're ignoring FE x SMT, which could be very big. Also, Nintendo has Zelda and Kirby for the future, as well as whatever else they announce.

Hm?

Metallix87

The fact that those franchises are going to be on PS4 already means it will have a far brighter future.

Whats WiiU got after MK and Smash? We all know how much Zelda has died down in JP.
Those Wii U games are coming out this year, though, not in the distant future. Plus, you're ignoring FE x SMT, which could be very big. Also, Nintendo has Zelda and Kirby for the future, as well as whatever else they announce.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
How is the game?

Work picked up so only have time for SAO currently. Maybe this weekend Ill check it out and post a video of how it starts off in the thread. Only reason why the game is open, is since someone was asking in the thread if it had a reversible cover. Which it does not unfortunately. Missed opportunity there.

The sales numbers just goes to show that people while they may pretend they "love" yandere girls its all talk. D:

sense

Those games are literally a year or two away, if not more. Also, the comparison to Vita is likely very apt, since I suspect that's the type of future that awaits the system in Japan.

if vita can do that without any of those big titles i am sure ps4 has a decent chance to do much much better with those big games. until those games come out and we see their effect no point in arguing any further because we are both going to keep beating the same drum

You only have to look at how much GTA5 has sold. Certain Western games are starting to reach Japanese audience and WiiU is not going to have all these.

Well, Call of Duty sells around 200k~ in Japan, so that's quite good by Japan's standards as well. It's definitely a good sign that we're seeing more western games at least filling in some sales niche.

I don't think there is a lack excitement for FF titles per se, I don't think you can judge it by FFXIII-2 and LR, definitely not by LR. When you release a sequel to game with lukewarm response, you are not going to sell many copies. FFXIII on it's own sold very well, so did an HD remaster of FFX. If you ask me now, I don't doubt that FFXV LTD will out do FFXIII's.

I'm partially concerned that the FF brand might had been weakened due to XIII. A weakened brand can potentially result even a mothership title to weaken in sales.

What FFXV needs to be is a FF so good, that FFXV-2 and FFXV-3 can break one million sales as well, similar to how FFX-2 sold over a million as well. And make the excitement for XVI ten-fold.

Persona, imo, had this effect, where the brand seems to have exploded in popularity from Persona 3->4. FF needs to have its own Persona 4 moment, like how FF7 and FF10 expanded the brand lust.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
In Japan.

Please, I'm saying that PS4 will easily beat Wii U in Japan too, but tone down your enthusiasm about Sony's product, c'mon!
Didi you actually read what the post you quoted said?
It said that up to now there is even less Japanese-centric contents on PS4 than Wii U, and that PS4 could hit the 5k "milestone" before the Wii U did.
And that's could be possible ideed.
What in the blue hell the games you quoted matter in this discussion? nothing, 'cause they'll be out...don't know when (apart MGSdemo and Yakuza, already available, and still...PS4 isnt' performing RIGHT NOW)

3DS bounce back seems good. Vita back up although I'd thought those numbers for sword arts might result in a bigger bump

PS4 heading down the sub-10k rabbit hole. Wii U might not go sub-5k again before Mario Kart 8 boosts the baseline for a while?

TheChaos0

Work picked up so only have time for SAO currently. Maybe this weekend Ill check it out and post a video of how it starts off in the thread. Only reason why the game is open, is since someone was asking in the thread if it had a reversible cover. Which it does not unfortunately. Missed opportunity there.

The sales numbers just goes to show that people while they may pretend they "love" yandere girls its all talk. D:

People only love tsundere's and kuudere's. No one likes yandere's. ;)

Faustek

Honestly now, isn't that vapourware by now?

SMTIV in Europe has had more exposure. Don't get me wrong would love for it to happen but *I* don't see it.

Metallix87

Honestly now, isn't that vapourware by now?

SMTIV in Europe has had more exposure. Don't get me wrong would love for it to happen but *I* don't see it.
I don't think it's vaporware at all. Just a 2015 title announced super early, much like Yarn Yoshi.

Fularu

Banned
How is the game?

None of the games you listed will sell more than MK or smash. None

Especially non existant games you keep claiming as beeing somehow relevant.

Ishin did nothing, FFXIV bombed (and sold a fraction of the WiiU version of DQX) and MGS barely did anything.

Faustek

I don't think it's vaporware at all. Just a 2015 title announced super early, much like Yarn Yoshi.

Well good that you still believe but with Sammy taking over I suspect the terms would have changed forcing Nintendo to shoulder much more of the financial risks. If they weren't already doing so that is.

But yes I hear you....I hate saying it but ok I'll wait for E3 before closing the mausoleum.

Mory Dunz

To be fair, Nintendo doesn't really seem to show first party games that are coming out in over a year from that time, unless it's Zelda.

So when stuff like KH, FFXV, etc come out, who know's what Nintendo's lineup will be.

I'm not saying it'll be amazing, but it's weird to compare PS4 games wayyy down the road (like GTA) and act like Nintendo has nothing. First party games aren't usually shown that early, so we'll see.

EDIT:
Expect for revealing Yarn Yoshi. I don't really know what the deal with that is. However, by announce I usually mean a video or trailer.

Thorgal

I fail to see the distinction. It's selling horribly because there's no interesting software for it. Same as the WiiU.

Exactly. What's the big mystery? It's obvious why it isn't performing well.

Pretty much. Zero software is not an understatement.

Then it is pretty clear : wait till the software arrives .

When that happens and the systems hasn't budged an inch from where it is now , feel free to pull the " it's dead ,Jim " card .

saichi

FFXIII came out a little over 3 years after PS3 launched. At the time PS3 user base in Japan is around 4 mil. If FFXV launch before Feb 2017, it is likely PS4 would have a smaller userbase comparing to PS3 in Dec 2009. Do you really think 50% of PS4 owners in Japan would pick FFXV when it's released?

Then it is pretty clear : wait till the software arrives .

When that happens and the systems hasn't budged an inch from where it is now , feel free to pull the " it's dead ,Jim " card .

problem is we don't know when. We might have announcement at E3 and/or TGS but it is unlikely the games announced then would come out this year. Maybe we will see a holiday title or 2 but that would mean a scarce line up for PS4 in Japan for 8-10 months. I seriously hope PS4 would have at least more than 1 holiday title for Japan since VITA's first holiday after launch was brutal since it did not have any noticeable holiday title at all.

To be fair, Nintendo doesn't really seem to show first party games that are coming out in over a year from that time, unless it's Zelda.

So when stuff like KH, FFXV, etc come out, who know's what Nintendo's lineup will be.

I'm not saying it'll be amazing, but it's weird to compare PS4 games wayyy down the road (like GTA) and act like Nintendo has nothing. First party games aren't usually shown that early, so we'll see.

EDIT:
Expect for revealing Yarn Yoshi. I don't really know what the deal with that is. However, by announce I usually mean a video or trailer.

I'll be shocked if Wii U gets any other major Nintendo title apart from the ones that are already annouced.

TheChaos0

Well, Call of Duty sells around 200k~ in Japan, so that's quite good by Japan's standards as well. It's definitely a good sign that we're seeing more western games at least filling in some sales niche.

I'm partially concerned that the FF brand might had been weakened due to XIII. A weakened brand can potentially result even a mothership title to weaken in sales.

What FFXV needs to be is a FF so good, that FFXV-2 and FFXV-3 can break one million sales as well, similar to how FFX-2 sold over a million as well. And make the excitement for XVI ten-fold.

Persona, imo, had this effect, where the brand seems to have exploded in popularity from Persona 3->4. FF needs to have its own Persona 4 moment, like how FF7 and FF10 expanded the brand lust.

I feel like the sequels could have diluted FF brand a bit but I remain optimistic that a new mainline entry can reinvigorate the brand. It just has to be very good, especially if they want to create sequels for it. I do hope they don't go for more than 1 sequel, I feel like having more than one is not good for the series overall, I would rather they reuse some assets in FFXVI instead.

FFXIII came out a little over 3 years after PS3 launched. At the time PS3 user base in Japan is around 4 mil. If FFXV launch before Feb 2017, it is likely PS4 would have a smaller userbase comparing to PS3 in Dec 2009. Do you really think 50% of PS4 owners in Japan would pick FFXV when it's released?

No, I'm not that delusional, I'm talking about LTD, not first week sales. FFXV is likely to be the first massive game for PS4, that can really start pushing PS4 sales.

Takao

Banned

Ishin did nothing, FFXIV bombed (and sold a fraction of the WiiU version of DQX) and MGS barely did anything.

Presumably he's referring to exclusive entries in those IPs (or at least not a spinoff/demo like Yakuza/MGS), and while yes, those are all smaller than Mario, they attract different audiences.

Describing FFXIV PS4's performance as "a fraction of the Wii U version of DQX" is a complete fabrication:

[PS4] Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Real Reborn # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.04.14} (¥3.394) - 4.858 / 36.185 (-84%)
[WIU] Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Online # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.03.30} (¥6.980) - 9.900 / 43.202 (-70%)

Yes, it's selling worse but DQX is the more popular game in Japan, and the difference between the two isn't really big.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'll be shocked if Wii U gets any other major Nintendo title apart from the ones that are already annouced.

what about Zelda and Animal Crossing, or a NFC-based Pokemon (card? ;p ) game?
I can see them happen. And Zelda is not yet announced for the system, so far.

sense

ishin was a spin off with a version on ps3, ff14 also on ps3 with a one time free upgrade to ps4 i believe and mgs was a demo which was also on ps3 but carry on with the hyperbole.

cafemomo

SMTxFE has no chance of ever becoming big.

RM8

It's cool to see 3DS on top, but... eh. I've lost interest in these numbers now that 3DS is in saturation mode. It was insane seeing 3DS stomping all other systems together.

Faustek

I feel like Theatrhythm should have done better. Am I wrong? How did the first one do?

03./00. [3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.02.16} (¥6.090) - 67.206 / NEW

So it has opened better now. Ask again in 3 weeks.

Edit: actually hasn't the initial sale Theatrhythm sold better now than its predecessors first month?

Top Bottom