• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 17, 2014 (Apr 21 - Apr 27)

SS

ßig

Unconfirmed Member
Mario Tennis Open (2012/05/25)

First day: 30%
First week: 51,19% (101,645)
LTD: 291,001

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Any chance of ppl learning that a first-day sell-through of 20% for a Mario game means everything is fine?

First thing you learn in Media Create threads is that most ppl never learn.

ßig;110369791 said:
Mario Tennis Open (2012/05/25)

First day: 30%
First week: 51,19% (101,645)
LTD: 291,001

LTD is over 350k.

donny2112

First thing you learn in Media Create threads is that most ppl never learn.

The people that learn, learn, get the information they want from the thread, and then go on. It's more likely the rotation of new users that don't learn, since they weren't really paying attention previously. There's always a chance for users that just-don't-get-it, but those are much fewer than those that figured out what to look for.

The end result is that "the great mass" of MC thread posts, especially when there's a new gen/new influx, appear to be mostly non-learning, yes. :p

hiska-kun

40 minutes of waiting, just to try the Mario Kart 8's demo (4 player), in Yamada Denki in Ikebukuro.

The hype is real.
*believe*

294BAD71-75FF-46BB-8015-7AE541CED540_zpsff9qje1w.jpg

C5D77602-2EA8-41E4-BFBD-E1C52E77D37D_zps0cib0aop.jpg

Tagg9

40 minutes of waiting, just to try the Mario Kart 8's demo (4 player), in Yamada Denki in Ikebukuro.

The hype is real.
*believe*

Interesting. I think Mario Kart usually sells a few million copies in Japan, so the Wii U should get a nice bump in the coming weeks.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Super horn thirst is real, cool

Fixed. All hail our new items overlord.

P.S. When MK8's week results will come, and Wii U will heavily outsell PS4 (if it happens), I'm expecting so many Donkey Kong pics to be used. Like...

zlCfzR4DPKAJ_rIsjf

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

The hype is real.
*believe*

There have been many hints last weeks that Mario Kart 8 will be much bigger than typical Nintendo Wii U games. We'll find out soon who has to land to reality for the potential this title has.

The (usual) retailer blogs expect Yo-kai Watch to be the top seller this Golden Week since new releases (which are exactly one: Mario Golf) look anemic in front of it.

I think FF15 will sell over a million, hell it might sell close to a million on launch week. No name new IP Dragon Dogma sold 400-500k in Japan. FF can sell much more than that on name alone.

L Thammy

Blue shell thirst is real, cool

Blue Shell Thirst sounds like a delicious carbonated beverage. Like Mario Punch, Luigi Berry, or Donkey Kong Jungle Juice.

I think FF15 will sell over a million, hell it might sell close to a million on launch week. No name new IP Dragon Dogma sold 400-500k in Japan. FF can sell much more than that on name alone.

I think Final Fantasy XV has a very good shot of going over a million as well. It's a complex case, though. There's a bunch of factors. For example, I can't help but wonder if it's not more of a risk to remain as a single-player RPG now.

Nibel

I'm currently listening to 8-4 podcast and they talked about that Yokoi-Watch print-arcade-game-thing which sounds really awesome

It really seems like the next big thing - even though I don't get the exact appeal of the game

Ty4on

There have been many hints last weeks that Mario Kart 8 will be much bigger than typical Nintendo Wii U games. We'll find out soon who has to land to reality for the potential this title has.

Not a big surprise, it looks really good. I think it'll have a much bigger impact than 3D World.

Mr Swine

Banned
Oh I really hope that MK8 sells well and the same for Wii U. Nintendo really needs this to be a big hit. I really hope so but I think it will do a bit worse than MK7 :(

MK8 might push a fair amount of hardware, the problem is they don't have any games coming out for the system after that for a few months. They'll get some momentum going and then it will be completely gone by the time the next game comes out.

Celine

With the exception of the MMORPG game and the original two games who introduced the series every main episode sold more than 1M in Japan.
I'm not sure why anyone would doubt FFXV will sell more than 1M.

Also it's widely known that FF is a really frontloaded series.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Not a big surprise, it looks really good. I think it'll have a much bigger impact than 3D World.

That's a given.

As of May 3rd, 2014

[WiiU] Mario Kart 8 - 78pt (26 days before the release)
[WiiU] Super Mario 3D World - 18pt / < 18pt (26 days before the release)
[WiiU] Super Mario 3D World - 66pt (at the release day)

Albo

MK8 might push a fair amount of hardware, the problem is they don't have any games coming out for the system after that for a few months. They'll get some momentum going and then it will be completely gone by the time the next game comes out.

Hyrule warriors is a likely july/august release along with bayo 2 (I know lol at least it's something), but yeah, numbers are bound to drop before they can get momentum. This holiday will be more important and telling for the wii u's future I think.

That pic of MK8 demo is likely just Wii U owners thirst.

BriBri

Some related notes from an ONM (UK) magazine interview with Yoshio Sakamoto:-

Regarding Software Development Group No. 1 being responsible for funny games such as Wario Ware and Rhythm Tengoku - "Actually the development groups were recently restructured and the core teams of these fun games have moved over to Production Group 4, so the set-up has changed a lot."

And regarding YS moving back to serious traditional game series (Metroid implied) - "I do not intend to do so."

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Right. I suspect it will have a very large opening week, well relatively speaking, but unless it spurs a hardware frenzy there is just no possible way for it to show legs of its predecessors.

BadWolf

I think Final Fantasy XV has a very good shot of going over a million as well. It's a complex case, though. There's a bunch of factors. For example, I can't help but wonder if it's not more of a risk to remain as a single-player RPG now.

They have XIV for multiplayer and its doing very well.

Most fans expect a single player experience from the mainline (non MMO) entries in the series I think, especially in Japan.

koutoru

They have XIV for multiplayer and its doing very well.

Most fans expect a single player experience from the mainline (non MMO) entries in the series I think, especially in Japan.
So true. I would rather Square Enix focus all their multiplayer efforts on the MMO Final Fantasy games and leave the rest as single player.

Square Enix could learn a lot things from other developers/publishers but tacked on multiplayer isn't one of them

TheChaos0

Blue Shell Thirst sounds like a delicious carbonated beverage. Like Mario Punch, Luigi Berry, or Donkey Kong Jungle Juice.

As opposed to what? It having a multiplayer component? I think that, they should focus on what people expect from FF title, a good singleplayer experience. They should really make a new Dissidia though.

jeremy1456

With the exception of the MMORPG game and the original two games who introduced the series every main episode sold more than 1M in Japan.
I'm not sure why anyone would doubt FFXV will sell more than 1M.

Also it's widely known that FF is a really frontloaded series.

The sequels (admittedly direct sequels do worse than main entries, but X-2 almost reached 2 million) to XIII showed a sharp decline in interest even compared to the last direct sequel (X-2).

Hyrule warriors is a likely july/august release along with bayo 2 (I know lol at least it's something), but yeah, numbers are bound to drop before they can get momentum. This holiday will be more important and telling for the wii u's future I think.

That pic of MK8 demo is likely just Wii U owners thirst.

I highly doubt this, it's probably November. Bayo might be August or September, but that is still months later.
The sequels (admittedly direct sequels do worse than main entries, but X-2 almost reached 2 million) to XIII showed a sharp decline in interest even compared to the last direct sequel (X-2).

They were sequels to XIII though and almost nobody gave a fuck about XIII after release, especially after XIII-2. The decline in interest in the XIII sequels only shows a decline in interest in the XIII series, not Final Fantasy.

TheChaos0

I would imagine that if FFVII had a sequel and FFVIII had a sequel, we would see a similar situation. Admittedly FFVIII is more popular than XIII. There are probably more factors involved, than the popularity of XIII in itself.

May16

In Japan? Single player is hardly a "risk."

jeremy1456

I highly doubt this, it's probably November. Bayo might be August or September, but that is still months later.

They were sequels to XIII though and almost nobody gave a fuck about XIII after release, especially after XIII-2. The decline in interest in the XIII sequels only shows a decline in interest in the XIII series, not Final Fantasy.

We won't actually know that until XV launches, but I fully expect to be right. 1-1.5 million LTD is my prediction.

kswiston

We won't actually know that until XV launches, but I fully expect to be right. 1-1.5 million LTD is my prediction.

That's a pretty big range. 1M would be horrible. 1.5M would be a fair drop from FFXII, but not completely unexpected given console userbase drops.

jeremy1456

That's a pretty big range. 1M would be horrible. 1.5M would be a fair drop from FFXII, but not completely unexpected given console userbase drops.

FFXIII was already a fair drop from what mainline single player games did previously.

If FFXV only sells 1.5 million that would be almost half of what FFX did, which is pretty alarming. It would represent a huge decline in the series.

It's kinda a shame, the way I see it one of the big reasons the PS4 isn't doing so well right now in Japan is one of the big reasons the PS4 and Xbone did so well at launch in the west, cross gen games. Over this past gen a lot of people shifted over to mobile and handheld and as such they don't really care about having better graphics as much while at the same time big console releases still sell well enough. I think that if games like Yakuza Ishin and MGSV had been next gen only the PS4 would be doing better right now.

In the west gamers just wanted new and better hardware and the fact that they barely had to miss any games when jumping into the next gen was a huge plus. In Japan gamers instead see it as "Why would I buy a PS4 when I can just play this game on PS3?"

sörine;110468266 said:
Zelda Musou was already confirmed for summer.

Ah, I see was announced as summer for Japan when it was revealed. I don't know though, the silence on the game makes me think it might be a bit further out. It's not like Nintendo hasn't set dates or windows for games and then delayed them before.

kswiston

FFXIII was already a fair drop from what mainline single player games did previously.

If FFXV only sells 1.5 million that would be almost half of what FFX did, which is pretty alarming. It would represent a huge decline in the series.

FFX will be 14-15 years old by the time FFXV releases. The market has changed a ton since then. It's getting close to a decade since anyone other than Nintendo has managed to break 2M barrier for a console game. I wouldn't be surprised if that barrier remains untouched this generation (outside of permanent pack ins).

Scum

I doubt that's the problem. Mario Golf was already on a downward spiral 10 years ago and the long time between releases apparently didn't help World Tour, either. (That is unless the reason for Mario Golf's weak 1rst day sales aren't low sales, but an enormous shipment)

Yeah. I kind of figured. But I just thought it might be an idea. :p

Sony needs to start money hatting stuff. I think I remember reading that they don't want to do that anymore but fuck that BS, SCEJ isn't doing shit with PS4 and the third parties are taking forever with their games. Does a console manufacturer actual plan out their console's game lineup so that console doesn't just sit their on store shelves without any games or do they just through the console out with some half assed launch tikes and hope third parties take care of the rest? Sony had to know that PS4 wasn't going to have any games in Japan for it's first year right?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It's kinda a shame, the way I see it one of the big reasons the PS4 isn't doing so well right now in Japan is one of the big reasons the PS4 and Xbone did so well at launch in the west, cross gen games. Over this past gen a lot of people shifted over to mobile and handheld and as such they don't really care about having better graphics as much while at the same time big console releases still sell well enough. I think that if games like Yakuza Ishin and MGSV had been next gen only the PS4 would be doing better right now.

In the west gamers just wanted new and better hardware and the fact that they barely had to miss any games when jumping into the next gen was a huge plus. In Japan gamers instead see it as "Why would I buy a PS4 when I can just play this game on PS3?"

Ah, I see was announced as summer for Japan when it was revealed. I don't know though, the silence on the game makes me think it might be a bit further out. It's not like Nintendo hasn't set dates or windows for games and then delayed them before.

I honestly doubt that would have changed much of anything. We'd still be in the exact same situation. It's not simply about cross gen games, the PS4 simply getting barely any games from Japanese developers full stop and basically nothing is being announced. All the worthwhile games are a year or two from release. Combined with the fact mobile is booming, I imagine people simply don't care enough about the PS4. Even the PS3 didn't sell all that amazing in Japan and that was facing far better circumstances than the PS4 is facing.

The PS4 needs Japanese mid tier support in whatever form that is. Until that happens it will hang around the 10k area.

Sony needs to start money hatting stuff. I think I remember reading that they don't want to do that anymore but fuck that BS, SCEJ isn't doing shit with PS4 and the third parties are taking forever with their games. Does a console manufacturer actual plan out their console's game lineup so that console doesn't just sit their on store shelves without any games or do they just through the console out with some half assed launch tikes and hope third parties take care of the rest? Sony had to know that PS4 wasn't going to have any games in Japan for it's first year right?

SCEJ has games I'm sure as do most third parties. Money hatting isn't going to make game development suddenly speed up.

Playstation has always relied on third parties, so for the most part its line up will be dictated by their efforts. Sony has no hand in that whether they like it or not. Furthermore, I think (sales wise) Sony doesn't really care much about Japan. The West is a far larger and more important market to grasp initially. Also its not like they have much competition on the console front either.

I honestly doubt that would have changed much of anything. We'd still be in the exact same situation. It's not simply about cross gen games, the PS4 simply getting barely any games from Japanese developers full stop and basically nothing is being announced. All the worthwhile games are a year or two from release. Combined with the fact mobile is booming, I imagine people simply don't care enough about the PS4. Even the PS3 didn't sell all that amazing in Japan and that was facing far better circumstances than the PS4 is facing.

The PS4 needs Japanese mid tier support in whatever form that is. Until that happens it will hang around the 10k area.

And that's part of the problem and it goes hand in hand with what I was saying. Japanese devs are too afraid to make PS4 games, and the few that are making PS4 games are mostly too afraid to commit to making them exclusive and just make them cross gen instead.

duckroll

Moneyhatting isn't going to change anything. I think we just have to accept that for a multitude of reasons the console market is just shrinking in Japan. It still goes up and down depending on how extensive a library is making a system more appealing, like we saw with the PS3. But the ceiling is falling. Even as sales of the average PS3 game increased, with more big titles in later years being able to sell over 500k or even up to 800k, FFXIII remains the top selling title, with nothing else being able to get to a million.

Even if Sony moneyhats a bunch of exclusives, that in itself is not going to make people in Japan suddenly go "wow buy consoles, they're so much better than portables or mobile!" The problem with the console market is more complex. Is it possible for there to be a resurgence in interest? Anything is possible I suppose. But it would take more than just one first party moneyhatting a few exclusives. It will take some sort of drastic dynamic shift. Something on the level of Pokemon, Monster Hunter, Wii Sports, Brain Training, etc. It would need to be a cultural phenomenon and not something we can already imagine.

Moneyhatting isn't going to change anything. I think we just have to accept that for a multitude of reasons the console market is just shrinking in Japan. It still goes up and down depending on how extensive a library is making a system more appealing, like we saw with the PS3. But the ceiling is falling. Even as sales of the average PS3 game increased, with more big titles in later years being able to sell over 500k or even up to 800k, FFXIII remains the top selling title, with nothing else being able to get to a million.

Even if Sony moneyhats a bunch of exclusives, that in itself is not going to make people in Japan suddenly go "wow buy consoles, they're so much better than portables or mobile!" The problem with the console market is more complex. Is it possible for there to be a resurgence in interest? Anything is possible I suppose. But it would take more than just one first party moneyhatting a few exclusives. It will take some sort of drastic dynamic shift. Something on the level of Pokemon, Monster Hunter, Wii Sports, Brain Training, etc. It would need to be a cultural phenomenon and not something we can already imagine.

Apparently you missed what cultural phenomenon Knack is :p

Top Bottom