• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 18, 2013 (Apr 29 - May 05)

Well they vastly overestimated the effect NSMB2 would have on the 3DS last year and they vastly overestimated how popular NSMBU would be. I think Nintendo legitimately believes they are going to be fine with the 2 new Wii games this year in Wii Party and Fit and think combining that with Mario Kart and 3D Mario is an amazing lineup for them. My interest is if they seriously intend to go forward this holiday thinking that the price of Wii U is just fine.

Confused...you know he said US right?
Thats why I said worldwide. But yes I didn't see him say US, I figured from what you were saying.

Sandfox

Well they vastly overestimated the effect NSMB2 would have on the 3DS last year and they vastly overestimated how popular NSMBU would be. I think Nintendo legitimately believes they are going to be fine with the 2 new Wii games this year in Wii Party and Fit and think combining that with Mario Kart and 3D Mario is an amazing lineup for them. My interest is if they seriously intend to go forward this holiday thinking that the price of Wii U is just fine.

Confused...you know he said US right?

I think the biggest problem with NSMBU is the fact that nothing else has really come out rather than the game itself not being popular enough.

In terms of Japan I think they could have a pretty good holiday without having to drop the price if they get certain key games out.

Nintendo knew what they had back in October when they kept their prediction for the Wii U going into the holidays. They relied on NSMBU to sell the system and it didn' thave nearly the impact they wanted. I think we can say it wasn't as popular as they wanted even at launch

Nintendo knew what they had back in October when they kept their prediction for the Wii U going into the holidays. They relied on NSMBU to sell the system and it didn' thave nearly the impact they wanted. I think we can say it wasn't as popular as they wanted even at launch
The launch software is not what they said it would be, whether they knew before hand or not is up in the air. I am leaning more towards them knowing but that they couldn't do much about it, and they just soldiered on normally to the rest of the world.

Fuck third party on Nintendo, the day Nintendo sort out their first party to release more consistently on home consoles would be a glorious day.

Sandfox

NSMBU was supposed to be their big launch title, but they obviously expected their launch window games to come out on time back then.

Are you seriously expecting a platform selling 50-60k to go to 1 million in November and 2 million in December? Even for a healthy platform that would be extremely optimistic. Not to mention this isn't a normal holiday. They have the other next gen consoles coming out which will flood the airwaves with marketing, a likely cheaper PS3/360, increasing mobile base, and to top it off kids will likely be going for 3DS this holiday for the first big Pokemon game. They have pretty much everything stacked against them. Do you realize that even the 3DS with its great recovery did not sell 3 million in that period with a much cheaper price, the fact that people buy multiple 3DSes, and a distinct lack of handheld competiton?
I only agree with the 3DS/Pokemon argument.

3DS sold 2.4M in Nov/Dec 2011 thanks to Mario 3D and Mario Kart. It's not impossible for Nintendo to ship 3M Wii U this holiday season. Aren't consoles supposed to be bigger here in the west?

And I'm not saying they will met the 9M target.

donny2112

I can only imagine what is going on at Nintendo HQ.

Quietly resigning the Wii U to be home to the next major installments of their console franchises and maybe trying to carve out a soft spot in the heart of indie developers, in the short term if not also the long-term, while trying to make 3DS as important as possible to the success of the company. With the discussions from the last FY meeting with grandjedi6 and Dalthien's previous discussions on the Wii U, Nintendo crawling into their protective shell of "survive, survive, survive" seems like the most likely outcome here barring some unforeseen twist like PS4 being as soundly rejected by the market at its price/games as Wii U is being soundly rejected at its price/games. On the profit forecast, 100B Yen is completely possible with a GBA-like 3DS annual result and Wii U not causing much loss. The Wii/DS years saw multiples of that level of profit, while 100B isn't much beyond what was seen in the GCN/GBA years with PS2 dominating everything. No PS2 this time around in the dedicated video game console space, which leaves much more upside over those GCN/GBA years.

Not what many Nintendo supporters hoped for coming off of Wii and DS, but it should have the corporate result of survival that Nintendo has lasted ~125 years with.

I only agree with the 3DS/Pokemon argument.

3DS sold 2.4M in Nov/Dec 2011 thanks to Mario 3D and Mario Kart. It's not impossible for Nintendo to ship 3M Wii U this holiday season. Aren't consoles supposed to be bigger here in the west?

And I'm not saying they will met the 9M target.

3DS did not have the fierce competition of two next gen consoles. For the nth time, Nintendo has always reigned the handheld space but the console space is far more competitive.

You also forgot one of the biggest reasons for the 3DS doing such numbers: price drop.

Hero

3DS did not have the fierce competition of two next gen consoles. For the nth time, Nintendo has always reigned the handheld space but the console space is far more competitive.

You also forgot one of the biggest reasons for the 3DS doing such numbers: price drop.

The iPad is the fiercest competition for handhelds.

Damn the Japanese have as terrible taste in games these days as the Americans do in music & tv shows.
In the 90's & early 00's awesome games lit up Japan's chart now they just buy bullshit....

May16

1/2/3 = Tomodachi/Luigi/New Leaf. Terrible taste? Wtf?

The popular definition of this, I find, is "preferences other than my own."

I do not like it, therefore anyone who does is wrong.

They won't say it or realize it, of course, but it's what they mean.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Talk about jumping into conclusions...he didnt specify what bothers him with the charts why are you all assuming he means the Nintendo titles ? They were also popular 10-15 years ago...

Publishers like Konami are a joke compared to their output in previous generations and effectively killed many beloved IPs :-/

Talk about jumping into conclusions...he didnt specify what bothers him with the charts why are you all assuming he means the Nintendo titles ? They were also popular 10-15 years ago...

Publishers like Konami are a joke compared to their output in previous generations and effectively killed many beloved IPs :-/

Because it's not that charts changed a lot in the last decade. We have Nintendo handheld (and PSP) instead of PS2 but Japanese still buy jRPGs, Gundam, etc.

Damn the Japanese have as terrible taste in games these days as the Americans do in music & tv shows.
In the 90's & early 00's awesome games lit up Japan's chart now they just buy bullshit....

The Japanese charts are probably some of the last that show some kind of variety when it comes to games (not so much in platforms, but whatever)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Wii U must be the only console available these holidays since Nintendo can ship 3M only for USA.

Lol at the 'console competition' this year. This time in 2011 few were expecting the 3DS to be able to stand up against Vita's first holiday and look at how that turned out. So much can change between now and the PS4's release.

Also, price cut is not happening in Japan in my opinion. Basic Set is more or less the launch price of the Wii. In the West, maybe, but not in Japan. Games that people want to play are the answer here, not (just) a price cut.

Mario007

Lol at the 'console competition' this year. This time in 2011 few were expecting the 3DS to be able to stand up against Vita's first holiday and look at how that turned out. So much can change between now and the PS4's release.

Also, price cut is not happening in Japan in my opinion. Basic Set is more or less the launch price of the Wii. In the West, maybe, but not in Japan. Games that people want to play are the answer here, not (just) a price cut.
Vita's first holiday, i.e. the one week?

Vita's first holiday, i.e. the one week?
Well, until late June (and the Fall Conference, to a less extent), i.e. three months and a half before the holiday season was starting, very few people thought 3DS could stand a chance against Vita, given the same price and a poor 3DS line-up.

Wynnebeck

Banned

Yeah, no. Everyone knew it was going to be a battle with 3DS dropping the Trinity.

You know how silly you are comparing the Vita to the PS4 and 720.

We still don't know the entire PS4 launch lineup, Jap 3rd party support, price etc. These are important factors that could seriously hurt or help the WiiU sales this holiday.

Yeah, no. Everyone knew it was going to be a battle with 3DS dropping the Trinity.

This time in 2011 gaming press and the vast majority of gaming community was laughing at poor 3DS results in the post-launch period, claiming that the console was doom, that games were cancelled, etc.. No price-cut was announced until late June; E3 wasn't really impressive outside Super Mario 3D Land and Luigi's Mansion 2; very few people expected a Monster Hunter game on 3DS, something that actually all of us were expecting hitting Vita sooner or later (3G and 4 were announced in mid-September); I think we didn't even know that the two Mario games would have been holiday titles.

Mario007

Well, until late June (and the Fall Conference, to a less extent), i.e. three months and a half before the holiday season was starting, very few people thought 3DS could stand a chance against Vita, given the same price and a poor 3DS line-up.
That doesn't really answer my question. Can 1 week really be considered Vita's first holidays?

And even if, I doubt we'll see a 3DS-like beast mode from the Wii U since the 3DS got the biggest portable franchise and a 38% price-cut along with Nintendo titles. Since Nintendo is not getting COD exclusive to Wii U and I doubt they can slash the price by 38% again. Also PS4 and Xbox Infinity will probably be out for more than just a week this holiday season.

Nekki

That doesn't really answer my question. Can 1 week really be considered Vita's first holidays?

Erm? Why not?? Realistically speaking, one should expect for the first one to be the weakest holiday. But even one year later, we saw how it went.

For Wii U... it had a decent launch and holiday, then it went down the drain. A 3DS-like recovery imo is very unlikely this holiday. But I'm certain it WILL gain some ground.

But the Wii U has its own problems to sort before we even start thinking about the competition. We know almost nothing about the other platforms, and we have no idea how they will perform.

There's no indication of mainstream anticipation (yet) for the PS4 and next Xbox.

Mario007

Erm? Why not?? Realistically speaking, one should expect for the first one to be the weakest holiday. But even one year later, we saw how it went.

For Wii U... it had a decent launch and holiday, then it went down the drain. A 3DS-like recovery imo is very unlikely this holiday. But I'm certain it WILL gain some ground.

But the Wii U has its own problems to sort before we even start thinking about the competition. We know almost nothing about the other platforms, and we have no idea how they will perform.

There's no indication of mainstream anticipation (yet) for the PS4 and next Xbox.
Well the point is that 3DS had free reign for pretty much 99% of the time that we would call holidays. Wii U will, most likely, not have that.

And of course Wii U will gain some ground, it'd be in real trouble if even new software can't get people to buy the system.

randomkid

Nekki

Well the point is that 3DS had free reign for pretty much 99% of the time that we would call holidays. Wii U will, most likely, not have that.

And of course Wii U will gain some ground, it'd be in real trouble if even new software can't get people to buy the system.

If you're talking Japan, the Wii U will have a much easier time during the holidays compared to the rest of the world, in terms of competing with PS4, and even more with next Xbox.

We have no clue about the japanese launch lineup yet to draw too many conclusions anyway.

If you're talking Japan, the Wii U will have a much easier time during the holidays compared to the rest of the world, in terms of competing with PS4, and even more with next Xbox.

We have no clue about the japanese launch lineup yet to draw too many conclusions anyway.
Historically, Nintendo consoles actually do much better in the West during holiday months.

Nintendo sells just shy of 3 million Wii's through the year, Dec comes around and they sell 3.8 million. I can't remember what year that was. Selling either 50% or just shy of their year total in a single month. Hell it might have been different figures entirely.

My point was Nintendo tends to do much better during holiday months in the west. 3DS last year really didn't though and WiiU might be screwed at the outset.

Pre-E3 2011, people thought SM3DLand looked bland and we barely knew anything of Mario Kart and absolutely nothing of MH3G. The idea that Nintendo would cut the price by a 1/3 so soon after launch was almost laughable. Vita looked like it had a real shot compared to a struggling 3DS. Admittedly, it never performed as poorly as the Wii U did, but I'm talking about people's perception here. Almost no one was arguing that it would be turned around by Christmas, especially with Vita coming.

You know how silly you are comparing the Vita to the PS4 and 720.

We still don't know the entire PS4 launch lineup, Jap 3rd party support, price etc. These are important factors that could seriously hurt or help the WiiU sales this holiday.

I know that. That's exactly my point. People are acting as if we know that the PS4 (I'll consider the Xbox when it shows it'll have any relevancy to this market this time around) is going to swoop down and be a white knight and immediately go into beast mode when we do not have that information at all.
My point in bringing up the Vita is that people thought the same thing, or at least, a similar about it, relative to the 3DS (or at least that it would be a much closer race) at this time in 2011. My point is that it is not a guaranteed thing at all, especially in Japan. Of course, a 50,000 yen PS4 with Killzone, Knack, & Driveclub on Dec 8th is not going to do as well as a 40,000 yen one with the aforementioned and an exclusive FF on Nov 18th. There are still too many factors to conclusively say that the Wii U will struggle this holiday in Japan purely because it's facing competition from new consoles because we don't know what value proposition that new console will be presenting.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
If Nintendo is really launching 3D Mario and Mario Kart this year, I think it will do well this holiday in Japan.

If Nintendo is really launching 3D Mario and Mario Kart this year, I think it will do well this holiday in Japan.

Mario kart may help sales in Japan, 3D Mario not so much, if all home-consoles installations since Mario sunshine are anything to go by.

Of course new 3D Mario may still outsell both Galaxies in Japan, but I would tend to expect much bigger sales from Mario kart.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Mario kart may help sales in Japan, 3D Mario not so much, if all home-consoles installations since Mario sunshine are anything to go by.

Of course new 3D Mario may still outsell both Galaxies in Japan, but I would tend to expect much bigger sales from Mario kart.

I agree, but 3D Mario is still a pretty big seller.

Well I mentioned the other consoles because Sammy was talking about the US with that ridiculous 3 million assertion. And there were a good number of people who rightfully doubted that Vita would do well in today's mobile market. The prevailing notion was that handhelds were doomed in general back then.

Edit: Depending on the PS4 launch lineup, Wii U could end up doing okay on the lack of competition alone.

L Thammy

Mario 3D Land was more accessible than Sunshine. A Wii U Mario in the same style as 3D Land would still be lesser than 3D Land because it's not a portable game, but it may still end up being more appealing than Sunshine was.

The PS4 and 720 do not matter. I've said it before but if they also meet tepid response I don't see that really affecting the Wii U at all. It doesn't suddenly make the Wii U's value proposition fantastic.

Even looking at the Wii U in isolation the idea that sales will increase by orders of magnitude in November and December from a current 50-60K a month to 1-2M a month in the US is unlikely given what we know.

The PS4 and 720 do not matter. I've said it before but if they also meet tepid response I don't see that really affecting the Wii U at all. It doesn't suddenly make the Wii U's value proposition fantastic.

Even looking at the Wii U in isolation the idea that sales will increase by orders of magnitude in November and December from a current 50-60K a month to 1-2M a month in the US is unlikely given what we know.

You're in the wrong thread. This is a discussion about Japanese sales.

As for value proposition, the Wii U will already have more 1st party games launching in the later half of 2013 than the 3DS did in the same period of 2011 and they haven't announced if Kart or 3D Mario are coming for sure yet. Maybe things like Wii Party U, Game & Wario, and Pikmin aren't system sellers individually, but taken together, they may make some people bite.

I think that the sales will increase in the second half of the year on that basis alone, even if it's not up past 15K per week.

Top Bottom