• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 18, 2014 (Apr 28 - May 04)

as long as vita isn't near the numbers it used to be ( 11k etc) i'm content.

i would love to see a serious one week bump though, not sure what software or bundle can make it happen...

as long as vita isn't near the numbers it used to be ( 11k etc) i'm content.

i would love to see a serious one week bump though, not sure what software or bundle can make it happen...
Freedom Wars will move some units, Over my Dead Body 2 might do something but the biggest thing is going to be Phantasy Star Nova, I expect the biggest Vita bump ever when that releases.

Bruno MB

[NDS] Touch Detective (Success) {2006.04.13} - ?
[NDS] Touch Detective 2 1/2 (Success) {2007.05.24} - 3.624 / 9.361
[3DS] Touch Detective: Nameko Daihanshoku (Success) {2013.02.28} - 26.339 / 55.263
[3DS] Touch Detective: Ozawa Rina Rising 3 - Nameko wa Banana no Yume o Miru ka? (Success) {2014.05.01} - 6.656 / NEW

maxcriden

Kirby at 600K!

Kirby_loves_Ramen.gif

Takao

Banned
[3DS] Touch Detective: Nameko Daihanshoku (Success) {2013.02.28} - 26.339 / 55.263
[3DS] Touch Detective: Ozawa Rina Rising 3 - Nameko wa Banana no Yume o Miru ka? (Success) {2014.05.01} - 6.656 / NEW

The spinoff sold more than a mainline game? I guess that smartphone thing helped.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Looks like some bumps all around. PS4 and Wii U continue to disappoint.

If you were a Japanese gamer, what would you buy for your PS4? When people say "PS4 has no games" when expressing bewilderment as to how the console could be selling so well in the West, they're being extremely disingenuous. The console has some of the biggest western titles of 2013 available for it and quite a few exclusive content to still make it appealing to that market. The Japanese PS4 library on the other hand is barren in terms of having any real heavy hitters. Hopefully when the big games games arrive things can become more positive. Then again, the release of some of their big IPs seems to have done nothing for Nintendo, so who knows.

Shengar

Vita's number is embarassing considering others have some (serious) bumps while it stays on a mere 25k level. Good numbers for other platforms, especially 3DS back to its feet, can we thanks Youkai Watch for that? We should welcome our new 1 million seller overlord soon. But the greatest number is Child of Light! I hope it'll have decent leg and decent digital numbers as well.

Why the overall bump? Were there macroeconomic factors holding down overall sales the last few weeks? I know about the sales tax increase, but I'd think that would be a long-term factor. No major new releases outside of Mario Golf, either. Weird.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Vita's number is embarassing considering others have some (serious) bumps while it stays on a mere 25k level. Good numbers for other platforms, especially 3DS back to its feet, can we thanks Youkai Watch for that? We should welcome our new 1 million seller overlord soon. But the greatest number is Child of Light! I hope it'll have decent leg and decent digital numbers as well.

Not really, besides the 3DS the other console bumps are pretty pathetic as well. Vita staying at 25k without new releases is fine.

Takao

Banned
Why the overall bump? Were there macroeconomic factors holding down overall sales the last few weeks? I know about the sales tax increase, but I'd think that would be a long-term factor. No major new releases outside of Mario Golf, either. Weird.

These sales account for the Golden Week holiday in Japan.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
It still impresses me how unprepared Sony was for a Japanese launch, if they knew they didn't have anything, they should have made sure to move games that are releasing on PS3 to PS4 like GT and Persona 5 or at the very least start announcing more Japanese games.

That is a mind boggling decision. Throw in the fact that PS3 HW and SW sales have plummeted after the launch of the PS4, Sony should have at the very least made some of these games cross gen.

That is a mind boggling decision. Throw in the fact that PS3 HW and SW sales have plummeted after the launch of the PS4, Sony should have at the very least made some of these games cross gen.

GT6 was a big mistake. Persona 5 is not. It might not do as well in the West if it was cross gen though but I'm pretty sure Persona fans knew the mainline was going to be on PS3.

SmokyDave

So the Vita number is 'embarrassing', but the others did 'good' numbers because of a few thousand unit bump?

Uh huh. Seems reasonable.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
So the Vita number is 'embarrassing', but the others did 'good' numbers because of a few thousand unit bump?

TBF No bump at all (or rather barely) for golden week , isn't good news regardless of how you twist it.

But it could be worse. It could be far worse.

Shengar

Not really, besides the 3DS the other console bumps are pretty pathetic as well. Vita staying at 25k without new releases is fine.

My initial post of being "embarassing" was because I thought that number is for Goldeen Week, which turns out to be false. But compared to its main competitor, 3DS, the numbers feels embarassing to me since it also doesn't have major release beside Mario Golf (that only did 58k, which I doubt move that many units). How does then the gap widen? Well, unless Youkai Watch effect is realy that significant than I expected to bump 3DS own number (since this week is Youkai Watch highers IIRC), then my post is embarassing.

BriBri

What's so amazing about the Youkai Watch numbers are that the downloads from the promotion aren't counted. I think both games (YK and YK2) hitting a million plus is inevitable at this point.

Mr Swine

Banned
Freedom Wars will move some units, Over my Dead Body 2 might do something but the biggest thing is going to be Phantasy Star Nova, I expect the biggest Vita bump ever when that releases.

Probably with a price drop and a Vita 3000 model it could sell between 75-100k that week

Gestault

I think it's a reasonable reaction. Here, let me quote someone else's response to seeing the same data:

Underwhelmed by the Vita number.

Yes, I know you're trying to highlight that the overall market trend is less impressive, but if the whole range of products on the market has a soft week compared to expectations, I'd say a bump for everything else and no movement at all by one of the lower performers isn't too far off from an "embarrassing" characterization.

Yagami_Sama

Holy Moly, Yo-kai Watch keep on rocking.
How come an "old" game be in the first spot ? And for quite a long time in top 5.

Four Wii U titles in the list is something good at one side and sad in the other. Other titles should be there.

starmud

best opening for the mainline game series? :p yay

hopefully it crawls to 12k and a localization ;____;

So Sword Art Online does 26k second week compared to 14k for the orignal, hopefully Namco is happy. It will be interesting to see it's digital sales.

PS4 heading downward still even with Golden Week although I suppose historically GW benefits Nintendo consoles more I think?

PSV stable at 25k maybe, not much of a bump unless it's staving off a decline

3DS garnered a large bump, Wii U got a signficant bump although still sub-10k, probably staves sub-5k until a couple months after Mario Kart though at least

OryoN

Wii U sales slightly starting to go up thanks to Mario Kart hype. Good!

Any kind of marketing helps Wii U.

But yeah, this is mostly related to Mario Kart 8. I remember for about 3 weeks leading up to the release of Pikmin 3, the console saw bumps. Yet, apparently, Nintendo doesn't value the benefit of consistent marketing, and keeping the awareness level high(this is especially true since they're a bit more weary of loosing too much $$ these days). They allow the Wii U to be forgotten for a couple months at a time. Then for a brief moment only, they remind the public that the console exists, when a game is finally ready for launch - which doesn't occur frequently enough, unfortunately. They've kept this weak stance since the console debuted, even though there's finally enough to shout about now.

Let's hope they keep their word and promote Mario Kart/Wii U throughout the rest of the year.

Any kind of marketing helps Wii U.

But yeah, this is mostly related to Mario Kart 8. I remember for about 3 weeks leading up to the release of Pikmin 3, the console saw bumps. Yet, apparently, Nintendo doesn't value the benefit of consistent marketing, and keeping the awareness level high(this is especially true since they're a bit more weary of loosing too much $$ these days). They allow the Wii U to be forgotten for a couple months at a time. Then for a brief moment only, they remind the public that the console exists, when a game is finally ready for launch - which doesn't occur frequently enough, unfortunately. They've kept this weak stance since the console debuted, even though there's finally enough to shout about now.

Let's hope they keep their word and promote Mario Kart/Wii U throughout the rest of the year.

It's Golden week - Nintendo always benefit most from holiday periods

Vita declined during GW in previous years, it doesn't seem to be a positive holiday for it.

Yokai Watch remains godly, but overall a crappy (although expected) holiday week.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Nintendo indeed goes for an aggressive second half year with 3DS. I'm still not sure if there will be another big game from parent company. Smash is at summer and it'll be weird if they'll leave December empty again.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Amazing numbers for Yokai Watch =). Is Famitsu counting the packed in 3DS XL game? Since now you can just get Yokai Watch with your 3DS right? Then again, I don't see Animal Crossing high up on the charts and I figure at least some people would buy a 3DS XL with an AC download code instead..

Also these are the Golden Week sales. Children's Day isn't included (that's 5/5), but everything else is...

Also, to anyone saying Yokai Watch 2 wouldn't drive hardware sales saying the first one came out last year, I think YW2 will do very well. The first one released far before the anime, and only picked up steam mostly this year. YW2 will be bigger or on the same level as YW1 imo. Not sure what to think of MH4G and Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire remakes. I'm sure they'll sell well, but probably not as well as X/Y and MH4.

BriBri

Amazing numbers for Yokai Watch =). Is Famitsu counting the packed in 3DS XL game? Since now you can just get Yokai Watch with your 3DS right? Then again, I don't see Animal Crossing high up on the charts and I figure at least some people would buy a 3DS XL with an AC download code instead..
No. The code isn't game specific.

Top Bottom