• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 18, 2014 (Apr 28 - May 04)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Actually that might make sense. Localizing a bunch of 3DS games through Atlus would raise the 3DS SKU count very quickly.

It is, they mention it explicitly in the press release.

Of course, but there's still something lacking: those titles wouldn't sell enough to reach that forecast, and I can't believe Sonic Boom would account for...considering they forecast 1,820,000 copies sold between October 2014 and March 2015, and that Atlus titles aren't so used to go that over 100,000 units in US...let's say 1,500,000 on 3DS alone? There must be something else.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Not to distract from deciphering Sega's report, but Square was happy with FFXIV, DQM:SL, Thief, FFX/X-2 HD, and TR for the previous quarter (January - March 2014): http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/140509.pdf

DNkpJK6.png

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Of course, but there's still something lacking: those titles wouldn't sell enough to reach that forecast, and I can't believe Sonic Boom would account for...considering they forecast 1,820,000 copies sold between October 2014 and March 2015, and that Atlus titles aren't so used to go that over 100,000 units in US...let's say 1,500,000 on 3DS alone? There must be something else.

Right they definitely have something. I'm not denying that.

Mpl90

Right they definitely have something. I'm not denying that.

Who was saying you were denying? :D It's just that I'd like to comprehend what they could possibly have in order to reach those numbers.

And also to comprehend better how Sega compile their reports, so next times we're not confused (or as confused as now, at least) :lol

RalchAC

Atlus making Persona in a multimedia franchise with Aniplex (?) was one of the best things they did for the franchise.

Yes, I think it's Aniplex (since those are Sony animation studios and it seems they've been partnering with Sony since a while ago for that cross-media effort).

I share your opinion. Really, seeing how "big" the Persona 5 reveal was just proves how popular the franchise has become. Past entries (3 and 4) were announced with a simple Famitsu article. This time they went all out with those streams, the trolling and all that.

And it makes me happy. SMT is probably the highest quality "active" JRPG franchise and it deserves every sale it can get. And it is amazing how Persona has evolved with every new title / enhanced port since Persona 3 (which is really good but quite rough compared to later entries. The amount of polish in P4G is amazing). I loved Catherine too. Can't wait to see what they do with Persona 5 ^^

Project Mirai 2 had an LE which had a different product code. Would that count as another SKU for Sega? (lol)

Yep, I think it works that way xD.

For Vita I imagine those 7 SKUs are:

2 for Project Diva F 2nd in the West.
2-3 for Football Manager Classic 2014 (since it was released on April)
1* for Phantasy Star Nova.
1 for that Baseball (?) franchise they publish in Japan.

*If Football Manager Classic isn't released in Japan I guess they SKU left could go for a Phantasy Star Nova LE / CE.

Persona Dancing is Spring 2015, right?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Who was saying you were denying? :D It's just that I'd like to comprehend what they could possibly have in order to reach those numbers.

And also to comprehend better how Sega compile their reports, so next times we're not confused (or as confused as now, at least) :lol

Oh I just didn't want to give the impression I was in case I was being confusing.

I would be kind of surprised if they successfully developed three Phantasy Star games at the same time so either they're very optimistic on Sonic Boom, they have a big secret project, or they really are hoping to add up a lot of smaller titles.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sega expects 2 3DS releases through Q2 (that's Oct right?) amounting to 450k in total shipments. One of those has to be Persona Q in Japan, what's the other?

Fall 2015 in Japan. No date yet.

Maybe Persona Q in the US? http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/25/persona-q-arena-2-and-dancing-all-night-all-coming-west

Already revealed for release in Japan in June of 2014, Persona Q will launch in the west in the Fall of 2014.

And yes the end of September/beginning of October is the end of Q2.

Pooya

Are you guys assuming that they're writing a portion of Alien Isolation units under Q2 (that 90k)? the game launches on Oct 7.

duckroll

Are you guys assuming that they're writing a portion of Alien Isolation units under Q2 (that 90k)? the game launches on Oct 7.

That wouldn't make any sense. The forecasts are for shipments, not actual sales. If they're only expecting to ship 90k of Alien Isolation at launch, I think they would have canned the game already!

Mpl90

Sega expects 2 3DS releases through Q2 (that's Oct right?) amounting to 450k in total shipments. One of those has to be Persona Q in Japan, what's the other?

Fall 2014 in Japan. No date yet.

Ah, right. If Persona Q releases in September, that means that my suppostion of them counting titles they only publish (like Conception II in US - US only since it's digital only in EU) is wrong. If Fall = October, instead, it should be correct.

duckroll

Ah, right. If Persona Q releases in September, that means that my suppostion of them counting titles they only publish (like Conception II in US - US only since it's digital only in EU) is wrong. If Fall = October, instead, it should be correct.

450k is a really high forecast for Persona Q JP + Conception II US though.

duckroll

Oh, I just realized, if they did count the Project Mirai 2 LE as a different SKU, then Persona Q would be 2 SKUs because it has a 3DS LE bundle too. 450k for PQ is an insane expectation...

Mpl90

Oh, I just realized, if they did count the Project Mirai 2 LE as a different SKU, then Persona Q would be 2 SKUs because it has a 3DS LE bundle too. 450k for PQ is an insane expectation...

...Maaan, this is too much. We need some sort of note stating what they count for SKUs :lol

Pooya

That wouldn't make any sense. The forecasts are for shipments, not actual sales. If they're only expecting to ship 90k of Alien Isolation at launch, I think they would have canned the game already!

Right, I mean the game launches right after the end of Q2, they have a PS4 and XBO SKU in Q2 90k each. What's that? There are only 2 XBO SKUs for the year, gotta be Alien Isolation US/EU, so maybe the game's launch goes into Q2 a bit in one region, huh?

RalchAC

Does hardware bundled count? I think those are more like a Sony/Nintendo thing than SEGA's.

God, how complicated is to read this stuff xD

As a side note about Sega projections: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442330&highlight=anarchy+reigns

It's better to assume they're too optimistic than too pessimistic.

But yes 450K seems really aggressive for Persona Q.

Oh god SEGA what are you doing.....

1 million + for Binary Domain, they had to be high when making that estimate.

duckroll

Right, I mean the game launches right after the end of Q2, they have a PS4 and XBO SKU in Q2 90k each. What's that? There are only 2 XBO SKUs for the year, gotta be Alien Isolation US/EU, so maybe the game's launch goes into Q2 a bit in one region, huh?

There's also a single PC SKU in the same period with a forecast of 80k, and a WiiU SKU they expect to ship less than a thousand of. Could that all be the same title?

Pooya

yeah the chart makes little sense.

There's also a single PC SKU in the same period with a forecast of 80k, and a WiiU SKU they expect to ship less than a thousand of. Could that all be the same title?

I assumed whatever is listed under Q2 is counted again for the full year? that's how I look at this.

Mpl90

It sounds reasonable. But what would that be? A Total War multiplatform game (LOL)?

EDIT: No, wait, there's Sega transformed for Wii U in Japan, that's the SKU for Wii U through Q2.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If Alien Isolation is releasing on October 7th in the US I wonder if they actually only expect to ship to select retailers in the region. That might explain it.

Like if Wal-Mart orders a few days earlier than everyone else.

Asd202

Can't wait for SEGA to kill of Persona because it doesn't reach expectations.

Can't wait for SEGA to kill of Persona because it doesn't reach expectations.

They'd probably kill of the spin offs on 3DS if it bombs that severely which it won't. It will be in line with EO plus some more due to the Persona skin. 200k-250k, optimistically.

Mpl90

Mmmh...let's see how it goes in the next future. So far, it doesn't seem to be that explosive, just like DQVII, which I fear is a confirmed flop, right? (Yeah, I don't consider being 1st in the paid category such a huge achievement, I've tended to see more the gross chart).

Yes I'm sure we are all crying when we see mobile stuff flop ;)

Mmmh...let's see how it goes in the next future. So far, it doesn't seem to be that explosive, just like DQVII, which I fear is a confirmed flop, right? (Yeah, I don't consider being 1st in the paid category such a huge achievement, I've tended to see more the gross chart).

I would say a paid app charting at all on the top 100 grossing apps is a big deal. As you can see 99% of games charting there are F2P.

Alrus

I think 2.5 million is posible. I think that prediction is on the higher end though, it'd be nearer 2 million than 2.5 there.

More like 3-3.5 mil. G versions of mainline MH games don't usually sell worse than the game they're based on.

L~A

More like 3-3.5 mil. G versions of mainline MH games don't usually sell worse than the game they're based on.

True, but this one is coming out barely one year after the original game. I'm sure it'll have some impact on sales, though I have no doubt it'll be really sucessful.

By the way, Mr 'Lots-of-secret-Japanese-PS4-games-are-being-developped-in-secret-I-SWEAR' thinks Nintendo shouldn't give up on the Wii U.

Well, you don't say.

test_account

XP-39C²
By the way, Mr 'Lots-of-secret-Japanese-PS4-games-are-being-developped-in-secret-I-SWEAR' thinks Nintendo shouldn't give up on the Wii U.

Well, you don't say.
To be fair, i dont know about what other professional analysts have said about it, but i've seen comments where people think that Nintendo should give up on the WiiU, and focus on their next console instead. If not directly cut the WiiU off immediatly, at least not invest that much more money into the system. Depends on how he (Kadokawa Honcho) defines "not give up".

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21./26. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Z <RPG> (GungHo Online Entertainment) {2013.12.12} (¥4.400)
22./21. [3DS] Crayon Shin-Chan: Arashi o Yobu Kasukabe Eiga Stars! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.04.10} (¥5.119)
23./09. [3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 1-2-3 - Naruhodo Selection # <ADV> (Capcom) {2014.04.17} (¥4.309)
24./07. [PSV] BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma <FTG> (Arc System Works) {2014.04.24} (¥6.264)
25./31. [3DS] Harvest Moon: Linking the New World <SLG> (Marvelous AQL) {2014.02.27} (¥5.040)
26./38. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800)
27./39. [3DS] Attack on Titan: The Last Wings of Mankind <ACT> (Spike Chunsoft) {2013.12.05} (¥6.090)
28./15. [PS4] Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Real Reborn # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.04.14} (¥3.394)
29./33. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2013.10.10} (¥7.770)
30./37. [3DS] Hero Bank <RPG> (Sega) {2014.03.20} (¥5.550)
31./36. [PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 2014 <SPT> (Konami) {2014.03.20} (¥7.600)
32./32. [PS3] J-Stars Victory Vs # <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.03.19} (¥7.980)
33./48. [WIU] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.02.13} (¥5.985)
34./29. [3DS] Detective Conan: Phantom Rapsody <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.04.17} (¥6.145)
35./46. [PS4] Battlefield 4 <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} (¥7.665)
36./43. [PSV] Samurai Warriors 4 <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.03.20} (¥7.140)
37./42. [PSV] J-Stars Victory Vs # <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.03.19} (¥6.980)
38./34. [PSV] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd <ACT> (Sega) {2014.03.27} (¥7.350)
39./00. [3DS] Tomodachi Life # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.04.18} (¥4.800)
40./50. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice &#916; <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.03.06} (¥4.980)
41./00. [3DS] Battle For Money Sentouchuu: Densetsu no Shinobi no Survival Battle! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.10.17} (¥4.980)
42./00. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.07.28} (¥4.800)
43./00. [PSP] Pro Baseball Spirits 2014 <SPT> (Konami) {2014.03.20} (¥3.980)
44./47. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru to Ruka no Fushigi na Fushigi na Kagi # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.02.06} (¥5.490)
45./44. [PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes <ADV> (Konami) {2014.03.20} (¥2.980)
46./45. [PS3] Dark Souls II <RPG> (From Software) {2014.03.13} (¥7.800)
47./00. [PS3] Winning Post 8 # <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.03.27} (¥8.190)
48./49. [PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. Full Boost # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.01.30} (¥7.980)
49./00. [3DS] Aikatsu! Futari no My Princess <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.21} (¥5.480)
50./16. [PS3] Monster Hunter Frontier GG: Premium Package <ACT> (Capcom) {2014.04.23} (¥6.264)

Top 50

3DS - 24
PS3 - 10
PSV - 7
PS4 - 4
WIU - 4
PSP - 1

SOFTWARE
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    567.000 |    631.000 |    827.000 | 14.666.000 | 16.878.000 |

L~A

I'm sincerely hoped that the touch screen control sucks enough at High Rank mission so people start buying controller for their iOS device. That might pushed mobile games further from one-hand touch control that dominated the market.

I think there's pretty much no chance of that happening. Reason why one-hand gameplay is so popular is apparently because lots of Japanese people are playing when commuting, and more often than not, they have to stand up... can't really use both your hands for playing in that case.

And about the Wii U thing : of course I agree with him. Best course of action for Nintendo is to just ride the wave until they're ready to launch their next hardware (I personally expect it to be available at late 2016 at the latest, unless sales start to dramatically improve). Pulling a Sega and just killing the Wii U early is nothing but a premium ticket on the "exiting hardware race" shinkansen.

Another thing that got me wondering is the 3DS. I wonder if a new model with NFC compatibility + slightly more powerful hardware for full VC experience for NES/SNES/GBA and better Miiverse integration) is possible. This year, Nintendo got 3 heavy hitter line-up for the 2nd half of the year... not counting games yet to be announced : Smash, Pokémon and MH4G. A new hardware revision could be a great move towards that return to profits.

That, or they finally launch the 2DS, but I honestly don't see that happening. I think the OG 3DS is about to be completely replaced now... sales barely rose for GW, most of sales were for the 3DS XL.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I don't think they'd still be releasing them if they actually thought it was a flop, but 4 just came out.

sörine

Banned
I don't think they'd still be releasing them if they actually thought it was a flop, but 4 just came out.
I feel like it was just thought of as a flop in comparision to what a 3DS conversion of VIII would've sold. I doubt it was unprofitable or anything though.

Tripon

True, but this one is coming out barely one year after the original game. I'm sure it'll have some impact on sales, though I have no doubt it'll be really sucessful.

Well, you don't say.

That guy is a riot. Don't quit your day job Mr. President.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
sörine;111261319 said:
I feel like it was just thought of as a flop in comparision to what a 3DS conversion of VIII would've sold. I doubt it was unprofitable or anything though.

That is possible yes, though they do still have that option.

Shengar

I think there's pretty much no chance of that happening. Reason why one-hand gameplay is so popular is apparently because lots of Japanese people are playing when commuting, and more often than not, they have to stand up... can't really use both your hands for playing in that case.

Then mobile games wouldn't get anywhere with its design. Unless MH2PG's success launch a secondary ecosystem within the mobile market where game with more "traditional" controlling scheme and B2P could thrive.

DaBoss

The only thing that MHP2G on iOS will replace is people playing on dedicated handhelds. People won't play MH in the situations where most one-handed mobile games are played.

Of course that won't happen with a port, it can if they support more mobile entries.

This is all assuming that it will be successful, which I think it will be.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The only thing that MHP2G on iOS will replace is people playing on dedicated handhelds. People won't play MH in the situations where most one-handed mobile games are played.

Of course that won't happen with a port, it can if they support more mobile entries.

This is all assuming that it will be successful, which I think it will be.

Monster Hunter Smart is their iOS game for one handed play.

It had a bunch of floor space advertising at TGS and is targeted for later this year.

Edit:

Since we're on this note, Capcom had these slides up for their mobile and PC online plans:

Top Bottom