• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 18, 2014 (Apr 28 - May 04)

<10k weekly sales race

Gamecube - 5 weeks (shortages?)
PS4 - 11 weeks
WiU - 12 weeks
Dreamcast - 16 weeks
Vita - 17 weeks
3DS - 24 weeks (the week before the big price cut, only week the 3DS dropped below 10k)
PS3 - 27 weeks
PS2 - 29 weeks (shortages, PS2 sales dropped to 3k)
GBA - 214 weeks
Wii - 224 weeks
NDS - 322 weeks
PSP - 371 weeks

All by Famitsu

wow this is awful, I feel bad for console gaming in Japan

this might really hurt us in the west sooner than we think

Principate

Saint Titanfall
<10k weekly sales race

PS4 - 11 weeks
WiU - 12 weeks
Dreamcast - 16 weeks
Vita - 17 weeks
3DS - 24 weeks (the week before the big price cut, only week the 3DS dropped below 10k)
PS3 - 27 weeks
GBA - 214 weeks
Wii - 224 weeks
NDS - 322 weeks
PSP - 371 weeks

All by Famitsu

Goddamn the PSP that above 10k longevity.

I have no doubt in my mind the PS4 will drop to 5K some time between now and holidays. I would say shrinking retail releases is the main reason why recent platforms like Vita/WiiU/PS4 sales dropped like a cliff few weeks after launch.

L Thammy

With that WiiU/PS4 performance pressure is even biffer on the upcoming Nintendo handheld to secure what else is left from the traditional japanese gaming market. Please Nintendo dont screw it up- kick ass handheld in 2016 which can be the base for all upcoming homeconsole game.

I'm not sure if there is a real opportunity for anyone here. Can Nintendo get a new handheld out and lure away support before the big Japanese console games land? The ones that have to target the west and need to be on PS4. If anything, I could see smaller PS3 support moving to PSV.

EDIT: And, yeah, there's always mobile.

udivision

With that WiiU/PS4 performance pressure is even biffer on the upcoming Nintendo handheld to secure what else is left from the traditional japanese gaming market. Please Nintendo dont screw it up- kick ass handheld in 2016 which can be the base for all upcoming homeconsole game.

Even though it makes sense for the next Nintendo handheld to absorb Sony's market share (assuming sony quits the handheld scene) and part of the console market share, for some reason I wouldn't be surprised if a chunk of the third parties just jumped to mobile instead.

cacildo

I wish i could laugh about the 8k PS4, because really, Playstation fanboys have been pretty annoying lately...

But to be fair, we have to be thankful for Playstation fanboys because they´re pushing forward a large part of the home console market. The picture japan is painting is scary as hell.

I can see a day in the future when we will depend on translations of Sega CD or PS1 games to have something good to play.

"When is Linda Cube Again coming out?" "The guys from the translation group said it can take a few weeks or years i dont know"

Makai

What is coming out for PS4 this year? With Mario Kart and Smash coming out, is it plausible that the Wii U pulls ahead of the PS4 and holds the lead for the rest of the year?

L~A

Even though it makes sense for the next Nintendo handheld to absorb Sony's market share (assuming sony quits the handheld scene) and part of the console market share, for some reason I wouldn't be surprised if a chunk of the third parties just jumped to mobile instead.

Of course they'll jump to mobile. Sometimes I wonder if Iwata didn't sleep with the wives of half the CEO for Japanese 3rd-party publishers. Their totally avoiding Nintendo consoles is puzzling. Then again, Nintendo isn't really helping with their Wii U, and 3rd-parties have always been Nintendo's main weakness.

Bruno MB

Mario Golf: World Tour - 24.086 / 82.829 (-59%)

Very mediocre sales, sell-through is low after Golden Week (~50%) and next week it will be selling below or around 10,000 units. Nintendo will wait another 10 years for another new entry.

L~A

3DS LL 28,414
Vita 17,143
PS4 8,480
PS3 7,684
Wii U 7,613
3DS 7,529
PSP 2,022
Vita TV 1,351
Xbox 360 23

(Media Create)

Mario Golf: World Tour - 24.086 / 82.829

Very low sales, sell-through is low after Golden Week (~50%) and next week it will be selling below or around 10,000 units. Nintendo will wait another 10 year for another new entry.

Does it really need more, though?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Of course they'll jump to mobile. Sometimes I wonder if Iwata didn't sleep with the wives of half the CEO for Japanese 3rd-party publishers. Their totally avoiding Nintendo consoles is puzzling. Then again, Nintendo isn't really helping with their Wii U, and 3rd-parties have always been Nintendo's main weakness.

If PS4 stays that bad even when the big hits come (or better, if things don't improve as much as they should, especially in the long run), which is a big assumption, and if Vita is the last traditional handheld effort from Sony, which is a big possibility...you'll see something more on mobile, but "core" titles, games that can't be ported to mobile for controls / feature / costs reasons (and there are still a lot of them in the market) can't go to mobile, so, there would be only two alternatives left: making multiplatform games with Nintendo consoles / only for Nintendo consoles.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I wish i could laugh about the 8k PS4, because really, Playstation fanboys have been pretty annoying lately...

But to be fair, we have to be thankful for Playstation fanboys because they´re pushing forward a large part of the home console market. The picture japan is painting is scary as hell.

I can see a day in the future when we will depend on translations of Sega CD or PS1 games to have something good to play.

"When is Linda Cube Again coming out?" "The guys from the translation group said it can take a few weeks or years i dont know"

TBH, a fan translation of Linda Cube Again would be much more interesting than nearly every already announced upcoming game...

Freeman

Banned
<10k weekly sales race

PS4 - 11 weeks
WiU - 12 weeks
Dreamcast - 16 weeks
Vita - 17 weeks
PS3 - 27 weeks
GBA - 214 weeks
Wii - 224 weeks
NDS - 322 weeks
PSP - 371 weeks

All by Famitsu
Oh Lord.

PS4 will do much better when the Japanese software starts hitting but until then I could see it falling into the 4s.

2015 is when the PS4 will hit its stride over there. For now though .... * shrug * ....

How they launches with no Tekken or Virtua Fighter or Tekken or any established Playstation franchise is beyond me.

Tripon

PS4 will do much better when the Japanese software starts hitting but until then I could see it falling into the 4s.

2015 is when the PS4 will hit its stride over there. For now though .... * shrug * ....

How they launches with no Tekken or Virtua Fighter or Tekken or any established Playstation franchise is beyond me.

Sony didn't want to pay money for development of fast tracked titles. I think that's clear.

Top Bottom