• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 18, 2015 (Apr 27 - May 2)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
not sure wat u were expecting, sonic is one of those games that relies on the userbase being big, wii u performance and to some extent 3ds performance hasn't been stellar

I think the biggest issue here was that the quality level was appalling.

Even on these two you could do better with an appealing product.

duckroll

Never forget, the legend of UNIPLAY!!!

http://www.level5.co.jp/news/20130530/popup.html

- B-Type Girlfriend released in June 2013, upgraded to B-Type Girlfriend Z in Aug 2013, service ends after 8 months in Feb 2014

- Wonderflick Prologue soft launches in Nov 2013 on iOS, upgraded to the complete Wonderflick on iOS and Android in Feb 2014, upgraded again to Wonderflick R in Aug 2014, service ends after 22 months in Sept 2015

- Majin Station gets high budget Full CG animated trailer from Studio Khara on Aug 2013. Game is never released after tons of delays and the director leaves Level5

Eolz

They surely want Splatoon to become a game with a big mainstream appeal, while Xenoblade is a jrpg that will sell enough to a specific crowd, without ever being able to appeal various audiences.
I'm sure XCX will get a commercial in the west anyway. The first game got one after all.

sörine;163502485 said:
PS4/One/Wii U multiplatform if that old toy fair slip is to be believed. It'll probably still do best on Wii U sadly.
makes more sense than wii u only, debatable vs wii u/3ds

most likely ps4/xb1/wii u and 3ds having its own version in some form

Wiggy

They should bring back the fatter, littler sonic. That's why the new games are a bust, sonic got too tall and skinny.

Vena

It's funny how Nintendo is promoting Splatoon, and they didn't release a single CM on TV for Xenoblade X.

Poor Xeno... may it enjoy the holiday season in the west. :p

I swear, Nintendo has a crippling fear of advertising their games, lol.

Vena

I'm going to posit this question here:

Given what we've seen said about Xeno and XenoX in the Iwata Asks, would it be a safe bet to assume that Nintendo is unsure of how to market a more core-oriented RPG like the Xenogames in Japan (and, in general, really). Most, if not all of their commercials, are always aiming to be charming, colorful, and lively, and I don't know if they know how to extract that from Xeno. I know they had adverts for the game, but they never gave it a commercial run.

Conversely, from the western point of view, where I think they are going to be pushing the title to Holiday seasons both for convenience of filling in Zelda and for higher returns on the title selling, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw something akin to the string of commercials that came with Hyrule Warriors or Bayo2 (though in the latter case it didn't help much). I think they know how to make commercials for the "action" crowd in the western demographics but have no idea how to handle it in Japan...

...That or they thought XenoX, a huge project for them, had no need for advertising outside of the Directs in Japan, but I find this suspect in general.

Lumyst

In last year's general meeting of shareholders, they talked about keeping up with the way that consumers gather information about games. They also said they would announce the game's content through different channels. So I think they realized that it's the kind of game that would be purchased by people that proactively seek out information about games.

sörine

Banned
makes more sense than wii u only, debatable vs wii u/3ds

most likely ps4/xb1/wii u and 3ds having its own version in some form
That'd be my guess. Sonic Team on console, Dimps on handheld.

I'd imagine 3DS did the heavy lifting for Lost World and Boom sales wise and I remember it also had the best selling version of Generations so skipping the system now wouldn't make much sense.

Shizuka

They should bring back the fatter, littler sonic. That's why the new games are a bust, sonic got too tall and skinny.

18fptc0060wf0jpg.jpg

Parshias7

I'm going to posit this question here:

Given what we've seen said about Xeno and XenoX in the Iwata Asks, would it be a safe bet to assume that Nintendo is unsure of how to market a more core-oriented RPG like the Xenogames in Japan (and, in general, really). Most, if not all of their commercials, are always aiming to be charming, colorful, and lively, and I don't know if they know how to extract that from Xeno. I know they had adverts for the game, but they never gave it a commercial run.

Conversely, from the western point of view, where I think they are going to be pushing the title to Holiday seasons both for convenience of filling in Zelda and for higher returns on the title selling, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw something akin to the string of commercials that came with Hyrule Warriors or Bayo2 (though in the latter case it didn't help much). I think they know how to make commercials for the "action" crowd in the western demographics but have no idea how to handle it in Japan...

...That or they thought XenoX, a huge project for them, had no need for advertising outside of the Directs in Japan, but I find this suspect in general.

XenoX without a television CM run did better than Xeno which did have a CM run. Maybe Nintendo has marketing information that tells them the audience they want for XenoX doesn't care about commercials?

The Directs were far more advertising than a 20 second TV spot.

Jamix012

not sure wat u were expecting, sonic is one of those games that relies on the userbase being big, wii u performance and to some extent 3ds performance hasn't been stellar

How is this at all true? Sonic was a big hit on the Gamecube, SA2 might well be the best selling 3rd party game on the system or something. Likewise the Dreamcast has SA1 selling well.

Vena

XenoX without a television CM run did better than Xeno which did have a CM run. Maybe Nintendo has marketing information that tells them the audience they want for XenoX doesn't care about commercials?

This is also valid, in this day and age, a core game may not need TV CMs.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
YSO predictions

Week 20, 2015 (May 11 - May 17)

[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition < 35k
[PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster < 20k
[3DS] Style Savvy 3 < 20k

ivysaur12

Banned

Yeah, but what's the reach of the direct? I'd be curious.

How is this at all true? Sonic was a big hit on the Gamecube, SA2 might well be the best selling 3rd party game on the system or something. Likewise the Dreamcast has SA1 selling well.

Bingo. Demographic can be a game changer, Sonic is a big hit with the crowd that loves platformers like Mario and families of course, and Sonic's really well associated with Nintendo these days.

I believe Sonic will not sell much at all on PS4 and Xbox One, also the exclusivity had a secondary effect; Sega lost any chance of building an audience for him on those systems, at the end of the year they will already be two years old (WOW, time flies), safe to say that ship has long sailed.

In fact, I may or may not be making a big look over thread (read: it's just a discussion piece) about this topic wink wink nudge nudge. ;)

sörine

Banned
A smaller userbase definitely hurts a big franchise like Sonic but due to demographics it's also the sort of game series that overperforms on Nintendo userbases versus PlayStation or Xbox. Despite PS4 destroying Wii U in sales a Sonic game on both would probably sell similarly or even better on the Nintendo platform worldwide. Think along the lines of LEGO, Rayman, Just Dance, Skylanders and other similar brands. It's also why I think Mojang's missing a good opportunity by skipping Nintendo hardware when it's an ideal demographic fit, particularly in Japan where userbase is going to put a ceiling on potential.

It's funny how Nintendo is promoting Splatoon, and they didn't release a single CM on TV for Xenoblade X.

I watched a XCX CM on Yamanote a couple of days ago, and i'm sure I posted it here
Dunno when they started cause I was not in Japan during GW but before its release I never saw anything; a little strange promoting a game after its release and not before...

Splatoon is more promoted cause they noticed western games are really doing well lately and I can surely say the CM made in Shibuya is really nice

sörine;163581391 said:
It's also why I think Mojang's missing a good opportunity by skipping Nintendo hardware when it's an ideal demographic fit, particularly in Japan where userbase is going to put a ceiling on potential.

you sure about Mojang missing an opportunity and not the opposite? I wouldn't be surprised if it was Nintendo not interested in Minecraft on their platforms
I mean, Minecraft is everywhere so why just not on Nintendo systems? they hate them? Don't think so...

How is this at all true? Sonic was a big hit on the Gamecube,
not in Japan

SA2 might well be the best selling 3rd party game on the system or something
not in Japan, RE, RE0 and RE4, Naruto games, FF:CC and Symphonia sold better

Likewise the Dreamcast has SA1 selling well.
it was the top seller in Japan, more than 400k which is around the same result made by the best 3rd party seller on GC (Naruto 3)

sörine

Banned
you sure about Mojang missing an opportunity and not the opposite? I wouldn't be surprised if it was Nintendo not interested in Minecraft on their platforms
I mean, Minecraft is everywhere so why just not on Nintendo systems? they hate them? Don't think so...
In Japan? Definitely Mojang's loss with Minecraft not being on the only dedicated game platform capable of multimillion selling phenomenons. Iwata mentioned being interested on Nintendo pushing the game in Japan themselves too, there's a huge missed opportunity there. Minecraft could be gigantic, but it won't be on PS/Xbox/PC. I'd be interested to see how PE is doing on iOS and Android though?

Worldwide? Definitely Nintendo's loss, both in terms of all those royalties ports would bring them and especially in terms of perception (being the only hardware maker left out). Nintendo loses money directly and maybe more significantly the optics of it hurt their platforms too. It's really something they need to rectify next gen.

Basically in Japan Mojang has more to gain than Nintendo does to lose, worldwide it's the reverse and Nintendo needs it more than Mojang.

Wiggy

sörine;163591237 said:
Basically in Japan Mojang has more to gain than Nintendo does to lose, worldwide it's the reverse and Nintendo needs it more than Mojang.

I read his post as saying its not mojang blocking a wii/3ds minecraft, its nintendo. And no doubt it would be a big hit, but are their any other examples of a western game doing better on nintendo platforms than sony ones in japan? I cant think of any of the top of my head... Just dance or rayman maybe? Were they a hits/released in japan?

sörine

Banned
I read his post as saying its not mojang blocking a wii/3ds minecraft, its nintendo. And no doubt it would be a big hit, but are their any other examples of a western game doing better on nintendo platforms than sony ones in japan? I cant think of any of the top of my head... Just dance maybe? Was that a hit in japan?
Just Dance was Nintendo exclusive in Japan. It sold really well on Wii too, around 600k for the first game I think. Nintendo published and localized the games themselves.

A recent example for a western 3rd party franchise doing better on Nintendo systems would be Lego games, which have tended to sell better on 3DS and (surprisingly) Wii U than Vita and PS3/4.

I read his post as saying its not mojang blocking a wii/3ds minecraft, its nintendo. And no doubt it would be a big hit, but are their any other examples of a western game doing better on nintendo platforms than sony ones in japan? I cant think of any of the top of my head... Just dance or rayman maybe? Were they a hits/released in japan?

Lego? Lego City was published by Nintendo in Japan also and did okay at 70k LTD I think, but all games afterward mostly only showed up in the Top 20/30/50 on Nintendo systems, and if any others showed up, they were still lower.

Edit: Beaten. :p

Takao

Banned
sörine;163596424 said:
A recent example for a western 3rd party franchise doing better on Nintendo systems would be Lego games, which have tended to sell better on 3DS and (surprisingly) Wii U than Vita and PS3/4.

Spy Hunter and Batman Blackgate were Vita exclusive in Japan. Yet handheld Lego games are 3DS exclusive in Japan. Warner is weird like that.

Sandfox

Given the discussion on the previous page about NFC figures not taking off in Japan, do you guys think the card approach might end up working better?

Spy Hunter and Batman Blackgate were Vita exclusive in Japan. Yet handheld Lego games are 3DS exclusive in Japan. Warner is weird like that.

They probably just picked the one version of each title ythat they expect to sell best.

Wiggy

sörine;163596424 said:
Just Dance was Nintendo exclusive in Japan. It sold really well on Wii too, around 600k for the first game I think. Nintendo published and localized the games themselves.

Lego games, thats what i was trying to think of! Weird how few western games (overtly) aim for a young audience these days compared to japan, I could barely think of any...

sörine

Banned
Oh right, I forgot Batman 3, Marvel and The Movie skipped Vita. Really weird.

They probably just picked the one version of each title ythat they expect to sell best.
They're on 3DS, PS3, PS4 and Wii U. Weird mix of platforms.

sörine;163596424 said:

probably this is the key : Nintendo might have wanted to publish the game by theirself, Mojang didn't want that so they didn't make an agreement

just a supposition, of course, but we all know how Nintendo cares about their games and they are not so much interested in pushing for other company products

Top Bottom