• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 19, 2013 (May 06 - May 12)

hiska-kun

Media Create:

21./22. [WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥5.985)
22./23. [3DS] Card Fight!! Vanguard: Ride to Victory!! <TBL> (FuRyu) {2013.04.11} (¥5.229)
23./25. [PSP] Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.03.14} (¥6.280)
24./19. [PS3] Steins;Gate: Senkei Kousoku no Phonogram # <ADV> (5pb.) {2013.04.25} (¥7.140)
25./32. [NDS] Pokemon Black 2 / White 2 <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2012.06.23} (¥4.800)
26./29. [PS3] Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.03.14} (¥6.980)
27./31. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.03.07} (¥5.980)
28./27. [PS3] Mugen Souls Z # <RPG> (Compile Heart) {2013.04.25} (¥7.329)
29./24. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800)
30./47. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.12.20} (¥7.980)
31./30. [PSV] Muramasa Rebirth <RPG> (Marvelous AQL) {2013.03.28} (¥4.980)
32./21. [PS3] Bioshock Infinite <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2013.04.25} (¥7.700)
33./33. [3DS] Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy <ADV> (Level 5) {2013.02.28} (¥5.500)
34./34. [WIU] Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Online # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.03.30} (¥6.980)
35./28. [WIU] Game & Wario <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.03.28} (¥4.935)
36./35. [3DS] Dragon Quest VII: Fighters of Eden <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.02.07} (¥6.090)
37./26. [PSP] Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon Portable # <RPG> (Kadokawa Games) {2013.04.25} (¥6.279)
38./40. [3DS] Puyo Puyo!! Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary (Special Price) <PZL> (Sega) {2012.12.13} (¥2.940)
39./37. [WII] Mario Party 9 <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.04.26} (¥5.800)
40./36. [3DS] Paper Mario: Sticker Star <ADV> (Nintendo) {2012.12.06} (¥4.800)
41./42. [WII] Wii Sports Resort with Wii Remote Plus # <SPT> (Nintendo) {2010.11.11} (¥5.800)
42./39. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl <FTG> (Nintendo) {2008.01.31} (¥6.800)
43./49. [WII] Mario Kart Wii <RCE> (Nintendo) {2008.04.10} (¥5.800)
44./38. [PSV] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.03.20} (¥7.140)
45./41. [WIU] Nintendo Land <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥4.935)
46./00. [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 8 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.02.28} (¥7.560)
47./00. [PSP] Uta no Prince-Sama: All Star # <ACT> (Broccoli) {2013.03.07} (¥6.090)
48./00. [PSV] Phantasy Star Online 2: Special Package <RPG> (Sega) {2013.02.28} (¥5.229)
49./43. [3DS] Aikatsu! Cinderella Lesson <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.15} (¥5.040)
50./46. [PS3] Far Cry 3 <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2013.03.07} (¥7.770)

Top 50

3DS - 17
PS3 - 12
PSP - 6
PSV - 5
WII - 5
WIU - 4
NDS - 1

SOFTWARE
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    469.000 |    827.000 |    381.000 | 17.347.000 | 16.930.000 |

Even Sony itself is admitting that those games are MH clones, or at least games that must act as substitutes for an IP apparently not planned for the platform. It's like when a guy breaks up with a girl, and then he tries to find girls that are similar to the previous one.
Did they really do it, lol? I mean did they use the word "Monster Hunter"? I think it was "Co-op Games" or something like that.

I have no idea about the commercial since it was in Japanese, never saw it.

extralite

Even Sony itself is admitting that those games are MH clones, or at least games that must act as substitutes for an IP apparently not planned for the platform. It's like when a guy breaks up with a girl, and then he tries to find girls that are similar to the previous one.

Bad comparison. MH/Capcom 'broke up' with Sony, not the other way round. And the industry always churns out more of the same, what exactly should Sony do? It's their best option to try and keep as much of the MH audience even though the franchise itself is gone.

If that's sad, the whole industry is sad. FL is selling on AC strength, it's L5's whole business model.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Comgnet's corner - as of May 16, 2013

[NDS] Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey - 35pt
[3DS] Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers - 58pt
[3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV - 132pt

[3DS] Resident Evil: Revelations - 116pt
[PS3] Resident Evil: Revelations - Unveiled Edition - 84pt
[360/Wii U] Resident Evil: Revelations - Unveiled Edition - less than 13pt

[PSP] Valhalla Knights 2 - less than 23pt
[PSV] Valhalla Knights 3 - 24pt

So ? Why should they stop when most of those are highly successfull so far ?

Ragnarok Odyssey - 300k WW (shipments+digital)
PSO2 - nearly 100k sales in retail, with another 250k or so downloads for free version - Japan only
SS - 200k in Japan retail only, good hardware boost, not bad performance in west which should at least match RO numbers there (actually more since RO wasn't retail release in PAL)

BriBri

Bad comparison. MH/Capcom 'broke up' with Sony, not the other way round. And the industry always churns out more of the same, what exactly should Sony do? It's their best option to try and keep as much of the MH audience even though the franchise itself is gone.

If that's sad, the whole industry is sad. FL is selling on AC strength, it's L5's whole business model.
It's a better business decision than releasing no game at all but it doesn't mean the term 'sad' does not apply.

Fantasy Life was one game released the next month, so is not quite the same as half-a-dozen 'Monster Hunting' games.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Man the Vita and WiiU situation are so sad...

Vita in particular :\

Come on Sony, do something. Although I am not sure what they can do at this point :(

Acosta

Most of those games don't come from Sony. If the console has a healthy supply of games in the most popular genre nowadays in Japan, it´s normal Sony promotes them. What do you want them to do? cry in the corner because they have no Monster Hunter? They do what they can with what they have, I don't see anything "sad" about it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

test_account

XP-39C²
how is pso2 a mh clone?
It seems that as long as a game has the concept of where you fight something (and also where multiplayer is a part of the game), then it is being defined as a MH clone. Seeing that there are quite a few games like this, i dont know why they word clone is still being used though. I remember back in the old PC days with Wolfenstein 3D and Doom, but i don't recall seeing anyone back then calling the other first person shooter games for "Wolf 3d/Doom clones" or being a ripoff.

DiscoJer

It seems that as long as a game has the concept of where you fight something (and also where multiplayer is a part of the game), then it is being defined as a MH clone. Seeing that there are quite a few games like this, i dont know why they word clone is still being used though. I remember back in the old PC days with Wolfenstein 3D and Doom, but i don't recall seeing anyone back then calling the other first person shooter games for "Wolf 3d/Doom clones" or being a ripoff.

I remember "Doom Clone" being used a lot, actually.

Strangely, someone made a graph of this based on usenet posts

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Doom_clone_vs_first_person_shooter.png

Doom_clone_vs_first_person_shooter.png

Actually alot of(most) early fps were called doom clones, didnt really help that most of them used the doom engine i suppose

edit: beaten

test_account

XP-39C²
I remember "Doom Clone" being used a lot, actually.

Strangely, someone made a graph of this based on usenet posts

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Doom_clone_vs_first_person_shooter.png
Actually alot of(most) early fps were called doom clones, didnt really help that most of them used the doom engine i suppose

edit: beaten
That is interesting. I only went by what i can remember, going by what my friends said and what the magazines i read said, but i was never on any BBS or Usenet etc. back then though. Seems that it will take a few years before something in general is being referred to being a genre instead of a clone. Monster Hunter still being the most popular game in its genre might also be a factor for why the word 'clone' is still being used for other similar games (there were 10 years between the release of Doom 2 and 3). And i guess that there were a lot more first person shooter games released in the earlier years compared to how many fighting-big-mosters-and-collecting-loot games that have been released over the last years.

L Thammy

I don't really recall "Doom clones" so much as "Wolf clones", but this is why I don't find the term "MH clone" so upsetting. I understand that people are taking the word 'clone' as a negative term, but when I saw Doom as a Wolf clone, it was still more original than Pacman Wolfenstein and Street Fighter Wolfenstein.

Anyhow, popular games are imitated and can eventually form a genre or subgenre. This isn't anything new, even to video games. It happened with Super Mario Bros. It happened with Zork. It happened with King's Quest, Wolfenstein 3D, Dragon Quest, Street Fighter II, Super Metroid, what have you.

I guess the problem with calling it "pathetic" is that the imitators would appear regardless of Monster Hunter's chosen platform.

IIRC it wasn't negative term in times of Doom/Wolf3D. It started to gain negative meaning when people started to call every modern shooter Call of Duty clone.

I didn't think saying something that is so straightforward (i.e. Sony desperately trying to find a Monster Hunter substitute, arriving even to advertise all the third party games that might somehow resembling Monster Hunter) would have caused so much problems. sorry for that.

Did they really do it, lol? I mean did they use the word "Monster Hunter"? I think it was "Co-op Games" or something like that.

I have no idea about the commercial since it was in Japanese, never saw it.

The fact that the word Monster Hunter is not used doesn't imply that it's not a desperate attempt to draw similarities with Monster Hunter, and attract Monster Hunter fanbase without actually having the IP.

Indeed. Capcom is the girl and Sony is the boy; the girl breaks up with the boy and the boy tries to find similar girls, because he's still in love with her :)

Anyway, I find it sad in the sense that Sony seems really desperate in trying to find the next Monster Hunter; even advertising third party games in a way to say "See? We don't have Monster Hunter but we have many games similar to Monster Hunter!".

And one thing is trying to follow the successful path of a genre on the same platform (which is regular business, just look how many life simulators 3DS has), another thing is to find a substitute for a game that does not exist on that platform, to desperately fill the gap.

So ? Why should they stop when most of those are highly successfull so far ?

Ragnarok Odyssey - 300k WW (shipments+digital)
PSO2 - nearly 100k sales in retail, with another 250k or so downloads for free version - Japan only
SS - 200k in Japan retail only, good hardware boost, not bad performance in west which should at least match RO numbers there (actually more since RO wasn't retail release in PAL)

I didn't say they should stop.

Most of those games don't come from Sony. If the console has a healthy supply of games in the most popular genre nowadays in Japan, it´s normal Sony promotes them. What do you want them to do? cry in the corner because they have no Monster Hunter? They do what they can with what they have, I don't see anything "sad" about it.

Sony didn't bother to advertise third parties game on PSP; and PSP had a lot of hunting actions.

I didn't say they shouldn't try to fill the gap, though. It's just sad to see Sony so desperate to the point they create that advertise. Maybe they should try to develop something else (Patapocnitno or whatever seems another hunting action game...)? I'd take Gravity Daze 2, for example, given the good word-of-mouth of the first one.

Because electroplankton. Dude had his boy stolen by a Vita.

Fixed.

how is pso2 a mh clone?

It's not. It just falls in the multiplay co-op category, and hence Sony is trying to draw similarities, maybe expecting someone will think that it's more like Phantasy Star Portable, than an actual MMORPG.

I wonder if he was such a huge MH fan when it was on PSP ;)

Yes. PSP is one of my favourite platforms ever. so many good games.

TheChaos0

how is pso2 a mh clone?

Funny thing is, PSO predates Monster Hunter, if anything Monster Hunter is a PSO clone.

It seems that as long as a game has the concept of where you fight something (and also where multiplayer is a part of the game), then it is being defined as a MH clone. Seeing that there are quite a few games like this, i dont know why they word clone is still being used though.
Isn't that mainly us spectators here in the west though? I was under the impression that the games have already "gotten their own genre" in Japan - Hunting Action.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Isn't that mainly us spectators here in the west though? I was under the impression that the games have already "gotten their own genre" in Japan - Hunting Action.

They always had their own genre, there's no line between a genre and a clone, it's simply the prevalence of how often the term is used. e.g MOBA and Dota clone, people still use both, it's simply with the rise of LoL the term Dota clone has less prevalence.

L Thammy

I think so. The Monster Hunter games consistently use that term, and I think regular people use it as well. But publishers are free to make whatever arbitrary genre names they want - I think the Tales series is particularly bad for that.

Funny thing is, PSO predates Monster Hunter, if anything Monster Hunter is a PSO clone.

It is also true that with the Portable series, Phantasy Star tried to follow Monster Hunter gameplay; this was successful, since Phantast Star Portable is the best selling entry in the series to date. Phantasy Star Online 2 is not an hunting action, though, but it is often presented along with other Monster Hunter clones (Sony did that!), probably because it is centered around multiplayer, and Phantasy Star had a legacy on PSP before.

DaBoss

I don't really recall "Doom clones" so much as "Wolf clones", but this is why I don't find the term "MH clone" so upsetting. I understand that people are taking the word 'clone' as a negative term, but when I saw Doom as a Wolf clone, it was still more original than Pacman Wolfenstein and Street Fighter Wolfenstein.

Anyhow, popular games are imitated and can eventually form a genre or subgenre. This isn't anything new, even to video games. It happened with Super Mario Bros. It happened with Zork. It happened with King's Quest, Wolfenstein 3D, Dragon Quest, Street Fighter II, Super Metroid, what have you.

I guess the problem with calling it "pathetic" is that the imitators would appear regardless of Monster Hunter's chosen platform.

I prefer the term Hunting-Action games since they're somewhat similar in goals and stuff. The only MH clone is Toukiden, IMO.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
first day sellthrough

Summon Night 5 - 70% (bigger opening than 3,4)
Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse - 60% (PS3 only)

Mondriaan

I prefer the term Hunting-Action games since they're somewhat similar in goals and stuff. The only MH clone is Toukiden, IMO.
Toukiden is not really significantly more similar to MH than to other hunting action games, though. It has a mishmash of things from Gods Eater, Phantasy Star Online, and Soul Sacrifice as well.

DaBoss

Toukiden is not really significantly more similar to MH than to other hunting action games, though. It has a mishmash of things from Gods Eater, Phantasy Star Online, and Soul Sacrifice as well.

I feel it is a mish mash of MH and Dynasty Warriors, with a lot more focus on action and larger monsters.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
All right, so after the Direct, we've got Sonic for Wii U/3DS and Yakuza 1 + 2 HD (though oddly none of the other games, so this might be an interest gauge?).

Well, I guess that is at least some third party support.

All right, so after the Direct, we've got Sonic for Wii U/3DS and Yakuza 1 + 2 HD (though oddly none of the other games, so this might be an interest gauge?).

By mere days, Wii U avoided having absolutely zero announced Japanese third-party support. Good timing!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Yakuza 1 + 2 HD is so...random.
But it's history: it's the first Yakuza title coming to a non-Sony platform :lol

Top Bottom