• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 19, 2013 (May 06 - May 12)

I was wondering that too.

Also it was definitely strange to see Yakuza 1 & 2 HD on Wii U. Is the Yakuza story linked or is each game different from the other?
They're linked I think. I've only played 3; it presented the backstory of 1 and 2 in cutscenes. I'm not sure how much 4 and 5 follow on.

I don't really understand the HD collection unless there's intent to release 3-5 as well and then release 6 across both the PS4 and Wii U. It would have made more sense to port the latter, since as mentioned above 3 already details the 1&2 backstory.

Thorgal

Or if they intend to bring next Yakuza game to Wii U.

I don't know if that would be a good idea since most of that series fanbase is already on ps3.

what would be their incentive to switch consoles at this point?

while its true that wii u can use every single game it can get,it needs new unique games instead of just remakes and old ports. HD or not , awesome or not as they may be.

I don't know if that would be a good idea since most of that series fanbase is already on ps3.

what would be their incentive to switch consoles at this point?

while its true that wii u can use every single game it can get,it needs new unique games instead of just remakes and old ports. HD or not , awesome or not as they may be.

PS3 is still strong, but no way Sega can expect 600k/700k sales on PS4 alone, at least not until userbase grows, so next game may be PS3/Wii U.

PS3 is still strong, but no way Sega can expect 600k/700k sales on PS4 alone, at least not until userbase grows, so next game may be PS3/Wii U.
Nagoshi has already indicated that the next installment won't be on PS3, iirc. It could suggest multiplatform PS4/Wii U.

But 1&2 HD doesn't really suggest that 6 will be on Wii U; there's still 3 games absent from the platform. It will also in all likelihood completely bomb; which really won't help the case for a Wii U SKU of 6.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Pikmin 3's preorders just started, and it's already first on Amazon.co.jp. That's something, no? :p

Dalthien

I don't really understand the HD collection unless there's intent to release 3-5 as well and then release 6 across both the PS4 and Wii U. It would have made more sense to port the latter, since as mentioned above 3 already details the 1&2 backstory.

If I had to guess, I'd say it probably has to do with Sega wanting to find another outlet for sales for the series - and they're not expecting the west to provide an adequate outlet - so that leaves...

Yakuza is a series which sold in the 800-900k range on the PS2. It's mostly been down in the 500-600k range on the PS3, despite increased costs. Moving on to the PS4, costs can be expected to rise again, but I don't see any reason to believe that sales will be significantly better than what they've had on the PS3. And I can't imagine that the series has been doing much better than fairly small, but not terribly significant profits with their PS3 iterations.

It's a series that Sega definitely wants to continue in the future, but sales in the 500k range just won't cut it with another bump in dev costs. They need to find another avenue to boost sales. They seem convinced that localizing the game for the west costs more than the potential returns - so that leaves trying to grow the series on the WiiU (or maybe going portable - which seems unlikely) in an attempt to expand the customer base in Japan.

Well, that took some time, lol. I don't think it was the reason, he also admitted to never owning a VITA in NPD thread yet he always target it in every thread.

Still i hope he is around here before E3 so we can hear about his impressions regarding any big VITA announcements.

That's what surprises me as well. Yakuza 6 will be likely shown at TGS and Yakuza 1 & 2 are releasing in August(?). There is just a lot to miss here for Wii U Yakuza fans and then we have got the hardware gap between Wii U and PS4.

Even if they do release Yakuza 6 on Wii U, it won't be as good compared to the PS4 port. Off-TV play is not particularly impressive for Japanese Wii U owners and with VITA, PS4 will be delivering similar experience of Off-TV Play. I don't see what other exclusive features or innovations the Wii U can bring for Yakuza.

Nagoshi has already indicated that the next installment won't be on PS3, iirc. It could suggest multiplatform PS4/Wii U.

But 1&2 HD doesn't really suggest that 6 will be on Wii U; there's still 3 games absent from the platform. It will also in all likelihood completely bomb; which really won't help the case for a Wii U SKU of 6.

More likely they would just port Y3,4,5 to Wii U while keeping 6 on PS4 or doing multiplatform with nextbox

Yakuza is a series which sold in the 800-900k range on the PS2. It's mostly been down in the 500-600k range on the PS3, despite increased costs.

wait, 800k was combining original release, best version, best version reprint...

original release sales increased from PS2 to PS3, and on PS3 every new chapter sold better than the previous one

Spiegel

If I had to guess, I'd say it probably has to do with Sega wanting to find another outlet for sales for the series - and they're not expecting the west to provide an adequate outlet - so that leaves...

Yakuza is a series which sold in the 800-900k range on the PS2. It's mostly been down in the 500-600k range on the PS3, despite increased costs. Moving on to the PS4, costs can be expected to rise again, but I don't see any reason to believe that sales will be significantly better than what they've had on the PS3. And I can't imagine that the series has been doing much better than fairly small, but not terribly significant profits with their PS3 iterations.

It's a series that Sega definitely wants to continue in the future, but sales in the 500k range just won't cut it with another bump in dev costs. They need to find another avenue to boost sales. They seem convinced that localizing the game for the west costs more than the potential returns - so that leaves trying to grow the series on the WiiU (or maybe going portable - which seems unlikely) in an attempt to expand the customer base in Japan.

Yakuza 5 is probably going to be the best selling Yakuza game (original release) or at least it will match Y2, and that's despite the price jump (7140 to 8800Y).

Budget re-releases are also priced much higher 1890 (Y2) vs 3990 (Y3).

kinggroin

Banned
I was always of the mindset that we need to see how the Wii U performs post big game releases and price drop...

...just fucking kill it. Pause production and prepare for a move to a different platform. Offer an apology and then a trade up program.

Only 4 million out there anyway, so the losses wouldn't be as catastrophic as dumping money onto a sunk ship.

Kikujiro

I hope Yakuza goes multiplatform and I mean next XBox too so we'll have more chances to see it in the US and EU, but I doubt it, since the series success is only limited to Japan.

Seriously, if you can't accept reality with Wii U you'd better stay away from posting in sales threads.

Hate? Give me a break. An port of an old Yakuza PS3 HD collection on a Nintendo console will sell almost zero.

I agree, the PS3 version sold less than 100k right? I'd be surprised if it manages 1/5th of that.

I hope Yakuza goes multiplatform and I mean next XBox too so we'll have more chances to see it in the US and EU, but I doubt it, since the series success is only limited to Japan.

So it wouldn't make much sense to bring it on the Xbox then.

wrowa

Wii Fit U was submitted for classification ratings months ago, we know Wonderful 101 has been essentially finished for weeks now from comments out of Platinum and G&W was released in Japan in March, and likely complete much earlier. It's not development issues, Nintendo's strategically holding titles back to bolster the 2nd half.

Well, it's likely both. If Nintendo didn't have development issues there wouldn't have been a reason to hold the games back in the first place. They might have solved these issues by now, but I doubt that the decision to delay Pikmin from launch to Q3 was entirely due to strategic reasons.

DaBoss

I was always of the mindset that we need to see how the Wii U performs post big game releases and price drop...

...just fucking kill it. Pause production and prepare for a move to a different platform. Offer an apology and then a trade up program.

Only 4 million out there anyway, so the losses wouldn't be as catastrophic as dumping money onto a sunk ship.

You're joking right? They sunk the cost in this thing and they're gonna have to deal with it for the next 6 years. Killing it kills consumer confidence a lot.

Alrus

I always laugh at people who calls for companies to kill their platform if it underperforms and try a new one. Like it's the easiest thing in the world to do.

Also Electroplankton is always targeted by people but he's no worse than SmokeyDave or 75% of the people who post in MH/Vita Threads. He's just less subtle about it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Wii Fit U was submitted for classification ratings months ago, we know Wonderful 101 has been essentially finished for weeks now from comments out of Platinum and G&W was released in Japan in March, and likely complete much earlier. It's not development issues, Nintendo's strategically holding titles back to bolster the 2nd half.

And yet Nintendo obviously doesn't get half the furious shit thrown at it that Ubisoft did. People "understand" when its Nintendo playing business tactics.

Also SmokeyDave is jovial with his Vita stuff, its a class clown thing. Electro was pretty damn serious, so theres a pretty big difference. The ghost of Laguna will now find its next vessel.

Durante

Also Electroplankton is always targeted by people but he's no worse than SmokeyDave or 75% of the people who post in MH/Vita Threads. He's just less subtle about it.
That's just not true. SmokeyDave loves his Vita and is very optimistic about it, but he is not wont to write spiteful posts about competing platforms in the manner that Electroplankton was. I don't think you'll find bickering of this kind from him.

It's presumably a combination of trouble transitioning to HD development and holding back certain completed titles.

But it really doesn't seem like sound strategy to intentionally hold back releases contributing to the system selling less than 30K a week globally, for some "relaunch" later. I'm actually not entirely sure what a "relaunch" entails. A massive price cut is seemingly off the cards, and there's not going to be a PS3 Slim / XBOX360 S style redesign this quickly.

EDIT: also realising and stating that Yakuza HD Wii U is going to utterly bomb isn't "hating."

No shit? Chris always talks with a pole up his arse though lol.

No, this guy continues to make posts with no coherent argument whining about people in here complaining about Nintendo. I'll read some youtube comments if I care about that kind of crap. Nirolak literally just made a huge post about ending that shit.

but he is not wont to write spiteful posts about competing platforms in the manner that Electroplankton was.

Are you kidding me?

Nibel

That's just not true. SmokeyDave loves his Vita and is very optimistic about it, but he is not wont to write spiteful posts about competing platforms in the manner that Electroplankton was.

I think Dave neither needs your defense nor is your post accurate; he likes to taunt competing platforms just like anybody else, no need to hide it

Personally, I'm happy to see the Yakuza franchise getting some more exposure - it won't set the world on fire, but I never expected it outside a Sony platform. I wonder if this could mean something for fans from the West since we didn't get a HD re-release (and 5 for that matter!)

zroid

Banned
Personally, I'm happy to see the Yakuza franchise getting some more exposure - it won't set the world on fire, but I never expected it outside a Sony platform. I wonder if this could mean something for fans from the West since we didn't get a HD re-release (and 5 for that matter!)

I could see Nintendo potentially distributing the Yakuza HD collection in the West. Especially if it's an exclusive (simply because Sega doesn't want to publish it themselves), it might do ok. Pretty much anything to get more people interested in the Wii U is worthwhile, at this point, even if it's a port of two old games in a series which hasn't gotten much love in the West lately.

Nekki

Would it be a bad idea for Nintendo to create its own scalable, corporation-wide proprietary engine? Not likely going to happen, but I'm just thinking.

In today's Nintendo Direct they were showing off Game and Wario, Pikmin 3, and The Wonderful 101. All supposed "launch window" games. Wii Fit U fallen even further away from when it was expected. This suggests that Nintendo's been having development issues.

Having all or most of their games run on the same engine should keep budgets down while allowing them to release titles in a more timely way. Having the team that designs the engine collaborate with the team that designs the hardware might also help prevent issues like the Wii U delays.

On top of that, they could offer free use of the engine to Wii U developers, same as their current Unity deal. It wouldn't be appealing to the big companies, but it might be helpful for indie developers.

I don't know why this has been overlooked. I think it's a good idea. It wouldn't solve Nintendo's problems of course, but it probably would work out. One of the problems though is that for big games, they make and tweak the engine on a per-game basis. But I think it would accelerate the process somewhat.

And yet Nintendo obviously doesn't get half the furious shit thrown at it that Ubisoft did. People "understand" when its Nintendo playing business tactics.

Those two situations are very different. For all the criticism that is being laid around here, you write some pretty awful posts yourself.

I imagine Yakuza is born of Nintendo wanting Sega to toss them a Yakuza bone but Sega didn't want to dedicate the resources to porting the latter trilogy. So if Yakuza 1 + 2 HD sell amazingly (it won't), they will port the rest.

I imagine this is being done over Nagoshi's objections, if not without his knowledge. Yakuza always seemed like a personal thing to him and he's been steadfast that Sony helped him cultivate the series so Sony systems are where the series stays. I don't see Yakuza 6 being anywhere but PS4.

Durante

I think Dave neither needs your defense nor is your post accurate; he likes to taunt competing platforms just like anybody else, no need to hide it
I wasn't defending anyone, and I agree there is no need for that. I was simply providing my impression. I do believe that there is a very significant difference between "taunting" a platform in a thread related to some aspect clearly worth taunting (e.g. sales for Vita and specs for 3DS) and doing so in a thread about a game (that is not even for the platform).

Are you kidding me?
This is some grade A bs lol.
It seems you strongly disagree with my impression. I don't want this to be a list war about posters, but a simple way to completely refute my point would be to provide a link to a similarly spiteful dig by Dave at the 3DS in a thread entirely unrelated to it. As I said, I don't remember anything like that, but I could well be wrong.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

I'm really trying to understand who you mean by "people"

Is it one or two posters?

Half the board?

The entire board?

Do you feel that this board is not giving Nintendo proper scrutiny for its business practices?

Are we letting Nintendo off easy?

I'm just really fascinated to find out what message board you are referring to where people are giving Ubisoft more shit than Nintendo.

Is it in the comments section of Go Nintendo?

Spiegel

I imagine Yakuza is born of Nintendo wanting Sega to toss them a Yakuza bone but Sega didn't want to dedicate the resources to porting the latter trilogy. So if Yakuza 1 + 2 HD sell amazingly (it won't), they will port the rest.

I imagine this is being done over Nagoshi's objections, if not without his knowledge. Yakuza always seemed like a personal thing to him and he's been steadfast that Sony helped him cultivate the series so Sony systems are where the series stays. I don't see Yakuza 6 being anywhere but PS4.

Did you not see Nagoshi in the japanese Nintendo Direct presenting all those Sega games?

schuelma

Ah, ok. But I doubt he would be there presenting the games if that's what really happened.

He did seem pretty excited to be showing off rings with Iwata..

On a serious note, Alberto is most likely correct as always, but I just cannot mentally make the leap that either side would think it worthwhile to port a game that will be lucky to sell 25K without some long term plan. I maintain there is a chance this is portending a multi plat for the next game..of course I don't think I have made a correct prediction in years so I'm sure that is wrong.

I feel like Nintendo would have benefitted more overall from an exclusive sequel to a niche bomb (like, say, Binary Domain 2) than they would have a leftover piece of historical kitsch of a popular series.

schuelma

Just throwing this out there since Wii U seems to be the dominant discussion- What hardware number would Wii U have to hit by January 2014 to make people believe a PS3 type of slow recovery is achievable as opposed to designating it to the GameCube trashbin of history?

Just for a bit of perspective-:

-after the holiday last year Vita was at 1.1 million.

-PS3 after holiday 2007 was at about 1.75 million (not an identical week to week comparison since it launched a month earlier than Wii U and Vita).

-GameCube was at about 2 million after holiday 2002, but that is a bit inflated since it launched in September of 2001 so that number represents launch plus 2 holiday seasons.

-For laughs, the original Wii was at 4.8 million after holiday 2007 (!!)

I would say personally if Nintendo can get to around 2 million by next January and show signs of not falling to 10K weekly, that would be an alright sign.

Top Bottom