• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 19, 2013 (May 06 - May 12)

I'm surprised that they didn't put Yakuza 3 in the collection, I know 1&2 was also on PS3, but PS3 already had 3, and GOW had 1, 2 & 3 in one collection and were on the same platforms respectively.

I guess either Yakuza 3 is too big (bigger than GOW3?) or it would've been too much at the moment to port? I doubt it.

Having the first 3 in one exclusively (convenience wise) instead of 2 could've been a draw.

Since if they bring over the others, they'd have to do it one at a time for disc reasons... of course since Wii U discs are 25GB and PS3 discs are 50GB max could play a factor too.

And yet Nintendo obviously doesn't get half the furious shit thrown at it that Ubisoft did. People "understand" when its Nintendo playing business tactics.
What are you talking about? It's an insane strategy, and one that I've been hugely critical of before.

Reign it in Pie.

I imagine this is being done over Nagoshi's objections, if not without his knowledge.
I doubt that to be honest. Nagoshi's now head of all of Sega's consumer GE R&D divisions (not just Yakuza Studio) there's pretty much no way this project could be managed behind his back or without his consent. An equivalent situation would be like Nintendo having EAD port Pikmin 1&2 to 3DS without Miyamoto's knowledge or over his objections, then trotting him out on stage to present the game. It's just extremely unlikely.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I'm really trying to understand who you mean by "people"

Is it one or two posters?

Half the board?

The entire board?

Do you feel that this board is not giving Nintendo proper scrutiny for its business practices?

Are we letting Nintendo off easy?

I'm just really fascinated to find out what message board you are referring to where people are giving Ubisoft more shit than Nintendo.

Is it in the comments section of Go Nintendo?

Well I mean I've yet to see the "boycotting future Nintendo releases since theyre sitting on W101 and others" thread or two, so, I think my comments are pretty bang on? Obviously the difference is Nintendo used nebulous terms like "launch window" and "summer" and theres no extra "loss of exclusive" sting, but is it really out there to discuss just how hypocritical that huge outrage was when the platform owner is engaging in the same squatting on finished games to further their business goals strategy?

Plus the irony of Wonderful 101 being September in NA too. I have to wonder if thats a direct "fuck you"...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Well I mean I've yet to see the "boycotting future Nintendo releases since theyre sitting on W101 and others" thread or two, so, I think my comments are pretty bang on? Obviously the difference is Nintendo used nebulous terms like "launch window" and "summer" and theres no extra "loss of exclusive" sting, but is it really out there to discuss just how hypocritical that huge outrage was when the platform owner is engaging in the same squatting on finished games to further their business goals strategy?

Plus the irony of Wonderful 101 being September in NA too. I have to wonder if thats a direct "fuck you"...

I think you are straining here- plenty of people have expressed outrage at the W101 and Pikmin delays.

I would add that the chief reason for the Rayman outrage was that the game was dated and was going to come out in less than a month when it was delayed for 6 months. You do not see any distinction there?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I see the distinction, obviously, but it really is that brand loyalty at this point that money and probably even 5-6 years of just endless d-sucking couldn't buy. Those mascots have been part of peoples lives since they could form rational thought, and so thats why they can't get angry on the same level they can with a company like Ubisoft since nobody has Rayman pencil cases for school.

Anyway, bit off topic but saw lunch's comment and had to reply. Sitting on games is just how its done for business and PR sake. There are exceptions where it doesnt even make sense business-wise (Anarchy Reigns should have just released as digital only when it was done), but if Nintendo thinks grouping this shit all together will make more of an impact, so be it. They definitely seem more on point in Japan from July on though.

extralite

Do people remember when Square wasn't allowed to bring their games to GBA until they started to support Nintendo home systems again? I don't think the Yakuza case is anywhere near that harsh but obviously Sonic is a good fit for Wii U and Nintendo wants more core games for older players. So they probably asked Sega for another title to go along with Sonic.

Furthermore, Yakuza 1&2 HD should be very easy to port. It's also 2 games at a low budget price, the kind of bargain that tends to do decent digitally. So not only is it low risk to bring it to Wii U, since it will sell in the low 5 digit region a considerable percentage of sales will end up digital with a much higher profit margin.

Anything more high budget with a higher retail price will hardly be able to benefit much from releasing on eShop.

It's presumably a combination of trouble transitioning to HD development and holding back certain completed titles.

But it really doesn't seem like sound strategy to intentionally hold back releases contributing to the system selling less than 30K a week globally, for some "relaunch" later. I'm actually not entirely sure what a "relaunch" entails. A massive price cut is seemingly off the cards, and there's not going to be a PS3 Slim / XBOX360 S style redesign this quickly.

EDIT: also realising and stating that Yakuza HD Wii U is going to utterly bomb isn't "hating."

It's not going to bomb, because expectations are so low that 25k would be considered good sales.

I doubt it will get 25k sales and even if it does is that enough for SEGA to bring the series to the WiiU?
I think it depends on incentives behind the scenes. If Nintendo offers them a sweetheart western publishing/promotion deal for example, I could definitely see Sega going for that to try and raise the franchise profile overseas (a la Layton, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, etc).

I also wonder if this doesn't open the door for the Black Leopard games on 3DS, which would probably have a much greater chance at home market success?

Do people remember when Square wasn't allowed to bring their games to GBA until they started to support Nintendo home systems again? I don't think the Yakuza case is anywhere near that harsh but obviously Sonic is a good fit for Wii U and Nintendo wants more core games for older players. So they probably asked Sega for another title to go along with Sonic.

Furthermore, Yakuza 1&2 HD should be very easy to port. It's also 2 games at a low budget price, the kind of bargain that tends to do decent digitally. So not only is it low risk to bring it to Wii U, since it will sell in the low 5 digit region a considerable percentage of sales will end up digital with a much higher profit margin.

Anything more high budget with a higher retail price will hardly be able to benefit much from releasing on eShop.
That happened? xD

And localization is usually part of Nintendo deals, I can see Y12 selling more here in the west than in Japan. EDIT: Yeah, read post above.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Just throwing this out there since Wii U seems to be the dominant discussion- What hardware number would Wii U have to hit by January 2014 to make people believe a PS3 type of slow recovery is achievable as opposed to designating it to the GameCube trashbin of history?

Just for a bit of perspective-:

-after the holiday last year Vita was at 1.1 million.

-PS3 after holiday 2007 was at about 1.75 million (not an identical week to week comparison since it launched a month earlier than Wii U and Vita).

-GameCube was at about 2 million after holiday 2002, but that is a bit inflated since it launched in September of 2001 so that number represents launch plus 2 holiday seasons.

-For laughs, the original Wii was at 4.8 million after holiday 2007 (!!)

I would say personally if Nintendo can get to around 2 million by next January and show signs of not falling to 10K weekly, that would be an alright sign.

A PS3 recovery isn't possible since Nintendo can't support the system alone.

For Wii U being at 2 million at January next year it means 1 million in 6 months, or averaging 40k per week for 26 weeks. Even with holidays inflation that number has very slim chances to happen and would demand a Wii like huge December.

Even at this scenario that somehow it achieves this number nothing prevents it from dropping below 10k again without heavy hitters following. Basically things are very simple. Unless Nintendo releases an evergreen title every month things won't change.

That would be pretty wild if Yakuza 1&2 Wii U came over exclusively and not the PS3 version.

I'd certainly would love to play it, it's nice to FINALLY HAVE A FUCKING HD COLLECTION ON WII U!

Seriously, even Ubisoft haven't done any, it's no different in effort than on 360 and PS3 since most if not all the games in them were never on those.

Yakuza 1&2 would NEVER have crossed my mind as a possibility, and certainly not as the first collection.

This in retrospect is the biggest shock of the Direct in terms of unpredictability. Sonic isn't so farfetched, but it is the best of course in term of support and original games. :D If you know what I mean.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Despite Yakuza 1&2 HD for Wii U won't sell anything, it still boggles my mind that we're talking about a Yakuza title for a Nintendo console. It's both a low (HD Collection already released on PS3 last December)and a ""high"" (first Yakuza title coming to a non Sony platform)profile announcement. With Nagoshi showing up, and that rings sketch. Just so...random. :lol Seriously, random is the only word I can come up with for all this. At least for now; if there's more Yakuza in Nintendo's future, then we'll know what 1&2 HD for Wii U meant, then.

For Wii U being at 2 million at January next year it means 1 million in 6 months, or averaging 40k per week for 26 weeks. Even with holidays inflation that number has very slim chances to happen and would demand a Wii like huge December.

Even at this scenario that somehow it achieves this number nothing prevents it from dropping below 10k again without heavy hitters following. Basically things are very simple. Unless Nintendo releases an evergreen title every month things won't change.

Exactly. Without the 3rd party support the 3DS has it would have bumbled back down to 20k a few months into 2012.

schuelma

Noted

Jamix012

Because the PS3 had monthly evergreen titles? I don't know about this. I think we'll see the Wii U make somewhat of a recovery, it'll probably do between Gamecube and PS3 numbers lifetime. The console market is smaller in Japan these days, but I'd be honestly surprised if the PS4 beat the Wii U in LTD Japan sales.

Spiegel

Because the PS3 had monthly evergreen titles? I don't know about this. I think we'll see the Wii U make somewhat of a recovery, it'll probably do between Gamecube and PS3 numbers lifetime. The console market is smaller in Japan these days, but I'd be honestly surprised if the PS4 beat the Wii U in LTD Japan sales.

Nintendo needs evergreen titles because the WiiU doesn't have third party support.

PS3 had major third party support. That support brought more third party support. Third party releases sustained the console.

schuelma

Nintendo needs evergreen titles because the WiiU doesn't have third party support.

PS3 had major third party support. That support brought more third party support. Third party releases sustained the console.

I definitely agree, but IIRC the solid consistent flood of software took a long time to really get going, and it was really only after the slim+FF13 that sales really started to stabilize at a decent level.

I definitely agree, but IIRC the solid consistent flood of software took a long time to really get going, and it was really only after the slim+FF13 that sales really started to stabilize at a decent level.

PS3 would have been selling well if it was 30k yen from the beginning. It wasn't the software holding back PS3 by the end of 2008 heading into 2009. It was the price. Wii U is 25k yen in Japan already its not going any lower especially with the depreciated yen. The only chance Nintendo has of a PS3 recovery is to actually acquire one of the major Japanese publishers. Otherwise they will never have the kind of support needed for a true recovery

PS3 would have been selling well if it was 30k yen from the beginning. It wasn't the software holding back PS3. It was the price. Wii U is 25k yen in Japan already its not going any lower especially with the depreciated yen.
PS2 was 40k yen at launch, PS3 was 50k yen. I don't think price was quite the issue in Japan that it was in the west.

PS2 was 40k yen at launch, PS3 was 50k yen. I don't think price was quite the issue in Japan that it was in the west.

Well sure. There is also the fact that Japan became much more handheld focused during last gen which certainly seems to have affected the price people are willing to pay for these devices.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Since it's May, another Nintendo Direct passed, nothing big came out (unless you consider Sonic big) and there is the major E3 Nintendo Direct coming.

Who still believe Nintendo has secret weapons waiting for this year? There is supposed to be an unpredictable strategy that will help them achieve the target they have set for the FY, since they aimed so high for Wii U (and 3DS).

schuelma

Since it's May, another Nintendo Direct passed, nothing big came out (unless you consider Sonic big) and there is the major E3 Nintendo Direct coming.

Who still believe Nintendo has secret weapons waiting for this year? There is supposed to be an unpredictable strategy that will help them achieve the target they have set for the FY, since they aimed so high for Wii U (and 3DS).

The strategy is clear enough- Zelda, 3D Mario, probably Mario Kart all out by this December, along with probably Wii Fit U.

I don' think it gets them to their fiscal year target, but I think it *could* give the platform some momentum.

Nekki

I see the distinction, obviously, but it really is that brand loyalty at this point that money and probably even 5-6 years of just endless d-sucking couldn't buy. Those mascots have been part of peoples lives since they could form rational thought, and so thats why they can't get angry on the same level they can with a company like Ubisoft since nobody has Rayman pencil cases for school.

Same brand loyalty that keeps people waiting for Last Guardian and FF Versus.

And on the other topic, yeah, 2m sounds like a bit of a stretch. I was going to say i expect 1.5m but i have no idea. It's not a good number anyways. We can only hope nintendo can at least gain a very minor profit through this generation, or at least break even.

VAPitts

Seriously, if you can't accept reality with Wii U you'd better stay away from posting in sales threads.

Hate? Give me a break. An port of an old Yakuza PS3 HD collection on a Nintendo console will sell almost zero.

you're right, because it's obvious this thread has turned into a herd of sheep following the ultra biased media and is nowhere near the caliber it was in the past. but let me ask u this one thing Chris. why do you think it's completely over for Nintendo based off of 6 months of not knowing anything? can you explain that to me? because as i've asked b4 but yet you so eloquently didn't answer my question, wasn't this same mindset there for the 3ds? didn't people automatically count it out before change came?

it's not the fact that of what's coming out, it's the fact that you guys automatically go into super negative mode as soon as it's something that you don't think it should be (in this case Yakuza for the Wii U) it's like nothing satisfies you even though YOU don't live in Japan. that's why i say you're hating. don't get mad at me because i'm exposing your true feelings toward the situation. if i was a coward and shrunk back when the going gets tough like most of you, you wouldn't have a problem with me would you? but that's just not me.

Well said. Nintendo cannot support both the WiiU and 3DS at the same time ensuring both have a constant stream of titles. Third party is whats needed and they seem absent.

If the WiiU's LTD is below 1.5 million after the holidays then its in serious trouble.

you're right, because it's obvious this thread has turned into a herd of sheep following the ultra biased media and is nowhere near the caliber it was in the past. but let me ask u this one thing Chris. why do you think it's completely over for Nintendo based off of 6 months of not knowing anything? can you explain that to me? because as i've asked b4 but yet you so eloquently didn't answer my question, wasn't this same mindset there for the 3ds? didn't people automatically count it out before change came?

it's not the fact that of what's coming out, it's the fact that you guys automatically go into super negative mode as soon as it's something that you don't think it should be (in this case Yakuza for the Wii U) it's like nothing satisfies you even though YOU don't live in Japan. that's why i say you're hating. don't get mad at me because i'm exposing your true feelings toward the situation. if i was a coward and shrunk back when the going gets tough like most of you, you wouldn't have a problem with me would you? but that's just not me.

1327121284082.gif

The last line reads like something a shounen hero would say. You wouldn't think the guy is actually arguing about video game console sales on a forum.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
but let me ask u this one thing Chris. why do you think it's completely over for Nintendo based off of 6 months of not knowing anything? can you explain that to me? because as i've asked b4 but yet you so eloquently didn't answer my question, wasn't this same mindset there for the 3ds? didn't people automatically count it out before change came?

All these posts from me in this thread and you still don't get it?

Well said. Nintendo cannot support both the WiiU and 3DS at the same time ensuring both have a constant stream of titles. Third party is whats needed and they seem absent.

If the WiiU's LTD is below 1.5 million after the holidays then its in serious trouble.
Nintendo can focus on Wii U since 3DS has 3rd party support though. Which is exactly what happened for DS/Wii in 2007.

I'm surprised that they didn't put Yakuza 3 in the collection, I know 1&2 was also on PS3, but PS3 already had 3, and GOW had 1, 2 & 3 in one collection and were on the same platforms respectively.

I guess either Yakuza 3 is too big (bigger than GOW3?) or it would've been too much at the moment to port? I doubt it.

Having the first 3 in one exclusively (convenience wise) instead of 2 could've been a draw.

Since if they bring over the others, they'd have to do it one at a time for disc reasons... of course since Wii U discs are 25GB and PS3 discs are 50GB max could play a factor too.

Well the idea is re-releasing games in HD here. I guess I could've seen them including the PSP games under that theme though.

Well the idea is re-releasing games in HD here. I guess I could've seen them including the PSP games under that theme though.

Ahh, shocked I didn't notice that, you're very right, it's advertised as an HD collection. :p

Still, would've been nice to have seen the 3rd in there. :)

Also the PSP games as one mentioned above would be really nice on the 3DS, and would likely be quite successful on it.

Nintendo can focus on Wii U since 3DS has 3rd party support though. Which is exactly what happened for DS/Wii in 2007.

Its a little too late putting their teams on WiiU now right. Its not like the games are going to come from nowhere. It takes years to make such games and this is their first step into HD development.

Rolf NB

The "there's got to be something huge, just you wait" argument has been played many times, and never, ever was it justified in hindsight. And no, this is not exclusively a Nintendo phenomenon. "Playing their cards close to the chest" and "something big at CES" were the top Microsoft fan memes to that extent this generation. Sony's was "wait for TGS". And they always resulted in nothing all the same.

Why?

Because it doesn't even make sense to hold back content. Hardware announcements, price drops, that kind of thing makes sense to hold back. Because it makes people stop buying your current hardware. This actually happens. But holding back a great bulk of content is bad strategy. Even for the biggest conference in the year, there's hardly a benefit in "saving" more than a couple things here and there. By extension, if you appear to hold back all your "important" content, it just proves that you don't have much of it to begin with.

I fully expect this pattern to hold.

Dalthien

wait, 800k was combining original release, best version, best version reprint...

original release sales increased from PS2 to PS3, and on PS3 every new chapter sold better than the previous one

Yakuza 5 is probably going to be the best selling Yakuza game (original release) or at least it will match Y2, and that's despite the price jump (7140 to 8800Y).

Budget re-releases are also priced much higher 1890 (Y2) vs 3990 (Y3).

Yeah, but the series still dropped from a base of 900k customers, and hasn't come close to reaching that on the PS3. Those 900k customers on the PS2 gave Sega a base to work with and hope to transition over to the PS3 - and hopefully most of them would move into buying at full price instead of budget price once they were hooked on the series. That potential increase in revenue made it a no-brainer to keep the series going strong on the PS3, and easily cover the increase in costs with the new generation.

But the PS3 games haven't seen any increases in revenue vs. the PS2 - and the costs have most definitely jumped. The series basically doesn't exist in the west - so the PS3 Japanese sales are pretty much the worldwide sales for the games. Getting into that 500-600k range for worldwide sales starts making the series look a lot more iffy from Sega's vantage point once they start looking at the costs jumping again moving onto the PS4.

Sega wants to keep Nagoshi happy, but they want the games to actually make some money too. Which means they'll need to find some way to boost the game's userbase. I imagine that getting 500k worldwide sales on the PS4 just won't be worth it for Sega to continue the series.

I would say personally if Nintendo can get to around 2 million by next January and show signs of not falling to 10K weekly, that would be an alright sign.

At this point, 2M by the end of the year would be a phenomenal result. That seems out of reach, even in a very optimistic scenario.

Having said that - I will predict that the WiiU will be the 2nd best-selling system in Japan for 2013. Which really just shows that Japan has basically become a one-system country for dedicated gaming at the moment.

That's all true - but has anyone (outside of maybe one or two eternal optimists) really said that they expect the WiiU to meet the FY targets? Honest question - because I haven't seen it.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
That's all true - but has anyone (outside of maybe one or two eternal optimists) really said that they expect the WiiU to meet the FY targets? Honest question - because I haven't seen it.

There aren't many who believe Nintendo can meet the FY targets but you can be sure there are still some who think that there is a plan for them putting the bar so high.

The good with this generation is that many gaming myths have fallen down and unfortunatelly for Nintendo most of them affect in a negative way the specific company.

It doesn't matter whether the Wii U sells 1M or 2M, in the end its how the baseline ends up. Hopefully the Wii U does end up with decent third party support, Nintendo will be all out on Wii U from now on since the 3DS is safe. Let's see how strong they can really be.

There aren't many who believe Nintendo can meet the FY targets but you can be sure there are still some who think that there is a plan for them putting the bar so high.

The good with this generation is that many gaming myths have fallen down and unfortunatelly for Nintendo most of them affect in a negative way the specific company.
Before the DS/Wii explosion I actually was scared of Nintendo going third party. After that gen, I am rather optimistic of them. The biggest negative would be regarding Wii's third party support.

schuelma

At this point, 2M by the end of the year would be a phenomenal result. That seems out of reach, even in a very optimistic scenario.

I dunno. I agree I am being optimistic, but even PS3 in its first full year sold about another 830K from this point until the end of the year, and frankly I suspect Wii U will have a better lineup than PS3 trotted out in 2007.

Dalthien

I dunno. I agree I am being optimistic, but even PS3 in its first full year sold about another 830K from this point until the end of the year, and frankly I suspect Wii U will have a better lineup than PS3 trotted out in 2007.

Actually, looking back at it week-by-week - you're right. I've been expecting (since the beginning of the year) that the WiiU will finish its 2nd calendar year somewhere around where the PS3 finished it - somewhere in the vicinity of 1.65-1.7M. So yeah - an extra 300k on top of that is still optimistic, but it's not out of reach if things go well with their releases in the back half of the year.

The other interesting thing is that the PS3 still sucked ass in 2008 as well. It actually had a worse 2008 than 2007, selling less than 1M for the full year. So really - the WiiU still has a pretty solid shot of matching (or exceeding) the PS3 through the first 3 calendar years, even with this absolutely atrocious start that the WiiU has had.

It's not going to bomb, because expectations are so low that 25k would be considered good sales.
25K? No.

The HD edition of Y1&2 sold like 60K on the PS3 with an 8.5M installed base and generations of audience building amongst the userbase.

Media Create threads have had a greater share of meltdowns with more failing platforms it seems.
Sega wants to keep Nagoshi happy, but they want the games to actually make some money too.
I don't see how an HD port really achieves that. It's going to bomb, and will provide no justification to bring 6 to the Wii U. It would make more sense to port the games over to the 360 and release them globally or something.

I don't see how an HD port really achieves that. It's going to bomb, and will provide no justification to bring 6 to the Wii U. It would make more sense to port the games over to the 360 and release them globally or something.
With the way Sega handles Yakuza globally, late 360 ports wouldn't do any better honestly. It'd bomb harder in Japan than the Wii U port will, and it'd bomb overseas harder than the PS2/PS3 versions have.

The only way this really makes sense is if there's a sweetheart 1st party western publishing deal in the wings. But weirdly, that doesn't seem to be the case.

L Thammy

I'm guessing that Yakuza 1+2 HD was ported over Yakuza 5 because cost was prioritized over growth.
There are two possible motivations I can think of:

- Testing the water. The goal is simply to release a game on a new platform and to watch the reaction. You set some internal bar for sales over a certain period, hopefully taking the full context into account, and then act if that bar can be reached. Data will be received no matter what you do, so you might as well save money.​

- Building an audience. You've already decided to make a game on the platform, but you think that the audience will be hesitant to buy it or too small. So you release a game, cheaper than the "real" game, but meant to have some appeal in its own right to get the audience's attention.​

It seems to fit the former more than the latter.

SEGA doesn't add Yakuza 3 or Yakuza 4 in the collection because they never thought that the game would sell a lot. They just used the combo that already existed and worked with that. If YakUsa passes the "test" - which it almost certainly won't - they can build from there.

Option 3 : Filling a contract obligation cheaply?

Not really sure how these things work but so many of these late ports are games that are just bizare choices. Too early for double dipping or not late enough for looking for a new audience.

Yakuza 1&2 would have been an interesting choice if there wasn't already a ps3 version.

This is much moreso for the western games i suppose like ME, DE, Batman etc.

L Thammy

So it would be part of the Sonic publishing contract? Why not Sonic Generations or something then? There's no precedent for Yakuza being spread across different platforms. Is Yakuza 1+2 the cheapest game they could port or did Nintendo seek out Yakuza specifically, knowing full well what platforms the series has been on?

No idea just random musings because it seems like a weird choice.

Like building an audience i dont see because yakuza 6 would be a couple of years away atleast and this game is going to sell poorly.

A follow up yakuza 5 port following this sometime next year i dont think would sell well either even if it came with a signed declaration that 6 would also be coming to wiiu.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I'm guessing that Yakuza 1+2 HD was ported over Yakuza 5 because cost was prioritized over growth.
There are two possible motivations I can think of:

- Testing the water. The goal is simply to release a game on a new platform and to watch the reaction. You set some internal bar for sales over a certain period, hopefully taking the full context into account, and then act if that bar can be reached. Data will be received no matter what you do, so you might as well save money.​

- Building an audience. You've already decided to make a game on the platform, but you think that the audience will be hesitant to buy it or too small. So you release a game, cheaper than the "real" game, but meant to have some appeal in its own right to get the audience's attention.​

It seems to fit the former more than the latter.

SEGA doesn't add Yakuza 3 or Yakuza 4 in the collection because they never thought that the game would sell a lot. They just used the combo that already existed and worked with that. If YakUsa passes the "test" - which it almost certainly won't - they can build from there.

I am guessing that Capcom's success in moving the MH series to the 3DS have shows that it is also possible for a franchise to find new ground if they wanted to, so they are testing if the Yakuza franchise can be shifted to Nintendo platform(s) too.

Top Bottom