• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 19, 2013 (May 06 - May 12)

Why? I could easily see it being the case. Nintendo had a hard time getting Mario Kart 7 out on time so they team up with Sega to get Mario Kart out for Wii U without having to dig into their own resources and having Sonic in the game doesn't dampen the appeal. The only caveat is that there is no way Nintendo would allow Sega to publish this.
The 3rd game is a Sonic game. Mario Kart won't be a Sonic game, even co-branded.

Zero chance.

zroid

Banned
Right. And we won't be seeing a product like "Mario & Sonic All-Stars Kart" in place of "Mario Kart 8" this holiday. It just isn't going to happen.

It could just be Mario Kart 8 with a Sonic cameo, though. Nintendo might've simply enlisted Sumo to collaborate on the game's development with EAD, like Retro did for MK7.

edit: oh, you're talking about the third Sonic game. Ok, fair enough!

It could just be Mario Kart 8 with a Sonic cameo, though. Nintendo might've simply enlisted Sumo to collaborate on the game's development with EAD, like Retro did for MK7.

edit: oh, you're talking about the third Sonic game. Ok, fair enough!
Yeah, I'm not ruling out the idea of some character crossover, a co-branded game or even Sega collaboration on MK itself, in fact given the Sumo tweets I think something along those lines is pretty likely. I'm just saying there's zero chance the "3rd Sonic title" is this year's Mario Kart game.

Right. And we won't be seeing a product like "Mario & Sonic All-Stars Kart" in place of "Mario Kart 8" this holiday. It just isn't going to happen.

I just don't see why we should completely rule it out. I'm not saying they never make Mario Kart 8, but this would give them time to work on that for later in the gen giving them another evergreen title in the future while they get a big Kart title out for the holiday. It benefits Sega by giving them a big title like Mario and Sonic and Nintendo doesn't have to use all their resources to make it. They were rushed into finishing Mario Kart 7 and needed Retro to help do we really think EAD 1 can get a full HD game out in less than 2 years?

I just don't see why we should completely rule it out. I'm not saying they never make Mario Kart 8, but this would give them time to work on that for later in the gen giving them another evergreen title in the future while they get a big Kart title out for the holiday. It benefits Sega by giving them a big title like Mario and Sonic and Nintendo doesn't have to use all their resources to make it. They were rushed into finishing Mario Kart 7 and needed Retro to help do we really think EAD 1 can get a full HD game out in less than 2 years?
"EAD1" is just the project leads, from a design standpoint I think 2 years is more than enough. The pitfalls would come from the general EAD pool of staff who codes the game and creates assets. Do you think it's less likely than EAD Tokyo getting out a full HD Mario in the same time span, or EAD4 getting out a full HD NSMB in 6 months? Is it less likely than Sumo churning out a full sequel in half the time?

Nintendo's already announced Mario Kart for Wii U, and said it will be playable a month from now. That game won't be the 3rd Sonic title in this deal, yes we safely can rule that out.

"EAD1" is just the project leads, from a design standpoint I think 2 years is more than enough. The pitfalls would come from the general EAD pool of staff who codes the game and creates assets. Do you think it's less likely than EAD Tokyo getting out a full HD Mario in the same time span, or EAD4 getting out a full HD NSMB in 6 months? Is it less likely than Sumo churning out a full sequel in half the time?

Nintendo's already announced Mario Kart for Wii U, and said it will be playable a month from now. That game won't be the 3rd Sonic title in this deal, yes we safely can rule that out.

Well yes I don't think it's actually going to happen myself. EAD Tokyo does have more than 1 team and the entire staff did not work on 3D Land. A new team also worked on NSMB2 while the NSMBW team worked since 2010 to get NSMBU out. I guess I should check how much of the Mario Kart Wii team cross references with 7.

Alrus

I wonder how they're going to handle the Senran Kagura franchise now. Release games on both platform? Focus on the Vita?

Rune Factory 4 did quite well too, best selling RF game I think. Marvelous is doing great this gen.

Nekki

So was Muramasa. I don't see how anyone could argue those aren't good results for Marvelous. Will be interesting to see how they approach Vita in the future.

I find Muramasa to be the better game, but SK's results are way more impressive. Muramasa is alright, not bad by any means of course, but not a knockout like SK has been.

Thorgal

since im still somewat new here .i have a question /

after 2 weeks post golden week do sale numbers continue to drop after the first week drop?

do they stabelize or do they start to rise again?

bassicaly what to expect from next weeks numbers?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
since im still somewat new here .i have a question /

after 2 weeks post golden week do sale numbers continue to drop after the first week drop?

do they stabelize or do they start to rise again?

bassicaly what to expect from next weeks numbers?

Sales in the Summer/late Spring are usually pretty low, but fluctuate primarily with releases as opposed to their position on the calendar during this timeframe.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So was Muramasa. I don't see how anyone could argue those aren't good results for Marvelous. Will be interesting to see how they approach Vita in the future.

I hope they port Arc Rise Fantasia to the Vita though, I think that's the only other Wii game from them that hasn't been ported yet (the other one was LKS but that was done by Konami).

Edit: Also No More Heroes would be nice for Vita.

hiska-kun

I'm reading some retailer blogs and all of them are reporting good Shin Megami Tensei IV pre-orders. I think a +150k opening may be a lock.

Nice promotion in japanese stores too.

Muramasa is the real surprise here, Senran Kaguira was hardly a bet, it was destined to sell well.

Now let's see how Valhalla Knights performs!

Interesting that SCEJA announced a retail Vita release for 2014. Not sure I would have expected that.

On a tangentially related note, Sony will release its corporate strategy presentation here tonight at 2AM EDT/11PM PDT. Probably nothing of substance, but there could be a tidbit or two about the gaming division.

Alrus

So the last Wii Taiko is the second best selling on the platform (according to garaph), this is mighty impressive considering the number of Wii games the series got (and the fact that the Wii is completely dead).

Nice numbers for the 3DS one too, won't reach the DS's entry high but it will still be very high.

Namco must be pretty happy with the 3DS.

squall23

So the last Wii Taiko is the second best selling on the platform (according to garaph), this is mighty impressive considering the number of Wii games the series got (and the fact that the Wii is completely dead).
Honestly, if this one wasn't literally the best console Taiko ever made so far, I'd say it would've gotten 250k at best.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/2...attling-game-in-development-for-nintendo-3ds/

This was just announced for 3DS in Famitsu by Kadokawa, it's a card game called Prisma Illya based on the manga Fate/kaleid Prisma Illya.

So this is the first Fate game that I know of on a Nintendo platform (did DS get any?).

Isn't Aksys bringing over some Fate games (or did one prior)? Would like to see this potentially, if it's any good.

Hey Kadokawa, there's a certain game by the co-creator of Sonic you're sitting on you know...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Summon Night 5 will definitely be #1, the question is just how it'll compare to 3/4 on the PS2 since it's finally the new one. I think it'll be in between both.

wrowa

I find Muramasa to be the better game, but SK's results are way more impressive. Muramasa is alright, not bad by any means of course, but not a knockout like SK has been.

SK already sold well on the 3DS, and the otaku focused userbase of the Vita together with the Anime series that aired at the same time made it a surefire hit on Vita.

Top Bottom