• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 19, 2014 (May 05 - May 11)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Haha, I wish! I've been following comgnet for years and it's fun to look at the charts and the comparisons, but in the end it's hard to know how a title will do based solely on the comgnet numbers.

Too early for me to predict what MK8 will do but I'm looking forward to the predictions for June.

That's not what you said before. You said it will open much lower than Mario Kart 7 even if it gets more points at comgnet.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
ήξεις αφήξεις ουκ εν πολέμω θνήξεις

L~A

Comgnet's retail chain preorder comparison, as of May, 18th 2014

[3DS] Yokai Watch 2 - 169pt + 130pt = 299pt

[Wii] Mario Kart Wii - 192pt
[3DS] Mario Kart 7 - 145pt
[WiiU] Mario Kart 8 - 162pt

[PSV] Persona 4 The Golden - 137pt
[3DS] Etrian Odyssey IV - 55pt
[3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV - 105pt
[3DS] Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl - 52pt
[3DS] Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - 113pt

[PS3] Kamen Rider: Battride War Premium Sound & Movie Edition - 68pt
[PS3] Kamen Rider: Battride War II Premium TV & Movie Edition - 44pt

[PSV] Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2 - 30pt
[PSV] Chō Megami Shinkō Noire: Gekishin Black Heart - 38pt + 22pt = 60pt

Youkai Watch 2 is really out for blood... and there's still a little under 2 months until release!

Looks like Mario Kart 8 hype is there, that means a 200k opening should be a lock.

Persona Q is doing quite well too.

Youkai Watch is at it again!

New Youkai Medal packs were released today and Japan are lining up again. Apparently even young children stayed up all night waiting in line to get them. One place even reported that over 800 people were in line waiting for the store to open!

Nintendo really need to have some Youkai Watch NFC stuff right at launch for their NFC platform on 3DS.

By the way, 1 million for Youkai Watch this month is a pretty much a lock. Really insane... Youkai Watch 2 announcement didn't have any impact on YW sales... quite the opposite, it seems to have fueled it sales even more. At this rate, Level-5's going to need another bigg-*ss shipment.

Completely irrelevant but I thought you guys might find it funny that the Book Off I just visited had more PS4 consoles than PS4 games. 3 copies, 2 of which were MGS GZ.

zeromcd73

Holy shit, I just found out that Japan even has monthly TCG sales charts.

1. Yu-Gi-Oh ARCV OCG The Duelist Advent - 7,717,651

Hmm almost 8 million in a month for a booster pack.. maybe a big budget exclusive Yu-Gi-Oh game could save PS4!

hiska-kun

By the way, 1 million for Youkai Watch this month is a pretty much a lock. Really insane... Youkai Watch 2 announcement didn't have any impact on YW sales... quite the opposite, it seems to have fueled it sales even more. At this rate, Level-5's going to need another bigg-*ss shipment.

Media Create says in his comment, that it should reach the million by the end of the month.

And yeah, YW2 had an impact on the first game. A positive impact. Promotion in shops is like: buy the first game and pre-order the second at the same time (some discounts included).

watershed

Banned
Media Create says in his comment, that it should reach the million by the end of the month.

And yeah, YW2 had an impact on the first game. A positive impact. Promotion in shops is like: buy the first game and pre-order the second at the same time (some discounts included).
Sounds like Level 5 is handling this latest craze well. I remember when the late release of the animals compared to the game's release seemed odd. But it's all working out now.

L Thammy

This doesnt make any sense. A red herring is like a decoy. Perhaps you meant that the JP console market is more like the canary in the mineshaft in terms of metaphors?

I don't see how he's using it incorrectly. What he's saying is that the traditional games are dying, which is the real problem, and console games dying are just a result. The latter is a decoy because people focus on it and thus fail to notice the former.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Nope, I said it's likely that will happen, not that it absolutely will.

Again, look at how it is tracking compared to prior Wii U titles if you think the Wii U userbase is going to hold the numbers down to that extent. If it keeps the MK7 trajectory, MK8 would have about 4.5x the number of SM3D World and Pikmin 3 orders.

RIP in peace, Japanese gaming.

Can you imagine if Sony had followed tradition and released the PS4 there first? Dear oh dear, the sales would have shed such a negative light onto the EU and NA releases that it might have changed the course of this gen hugely.

crinale

Can you imagine if Sony had followed tradition and released the PS4 there first? Dear oh dear, the sales would have shed such a negative light onto the EU and NA releases that it might have changed the course of this gen hugely.

You should have known it when Sony revealed that PS4 is designed with their Western engineers as key personnel. If you have an amount of money and must choose to invest to Western market or Japanese market then the answer is no-brainer at this point.

As for now it is safe to say their decision to de-prioritize Japanese market was a smart choice...

L Thammy

In order for Sony to have made the decision to release the PS4 in Japan first, they'd have to have viewed Japan as one of their most important markets. If they did that, things wouldn't be quite as bad.

Takao

Banned
I don't see how he's using it incorrectly. What he's saying is that the traditional games are dying, which is the real problem, and console games dying are just a result. The latter is a decoy because people focus on it and thus fail to notice the former.

Yep, and in the west the focus is on the decline of handhelds, when in reality nothing is selling great. Hardware can drop but we can still have a healthy software market. Unfortunately software sales are still dropping.

Hopefully Nintendo gets the license for NOA and NOE markets. The series has immense potential.

That only restricts Level-5's potential venues for the future, and builds the wrong idea about it being a Nintendo IP. I suspect both the LBX and Yokai Watch video games will be distributed in the west by Bandai Namco. They're already the licensee for the toys in Japan (globally for LBX) and worked with Level-5 on Nino Kuni PS3.

hiska-kun

Can you imagine if Sony had launched the PS4 with japanese appeal? If GT6 had been a PS4 game instead of PS3, a Hot shots Golf game, the Yakuza game not multi but PS4 exclusive, and after that all the PS3 games had been multi with PS4.

Where do you think the PS4 sales could've been? Over a million for sure.

Instead, Sony launched PS4 with late western games port. The only japanese appeal game was multi with PS3, and after launch another multi game and then the desert.

So, you don't launch games that appeal the japanese, and you expect the market reacts just because?

Don't blame the japanese gaming and blame sony.

Yep, and in the west the focus is on the decline of handhelds, when in reality nothing is selling great. Hardware can drop but we can still have a healthy software market. Unfortunately software sales are still dropping.
The PS3 and 360 are cratering under the weight of their old age, and software is following suit.

The PS4 and XBO are performing well and have healthy software sales. They simply can't make up for the aforementioned cratering yet.

That and there are simply fewer releases this year than last.

I think the issue with the Japanese market is more that handhelds served as suitable substitutes for the console experience, and now mobile is substituting handhelds.
Mobile could end up being a substitution threat for consoles in the West, but we're not there I don't think. And handhelds never managed that either.
I think the greater threat to the console model is probably the (re-)rise of PC gaming due to Valve and Steam improving ease.

crinale

Can you imagine if Sony had launched the PS4 with japanese appeal? If GT6 had been a PS4 game instead of PS3, a Hot shots Golf game, the Yakuza game not multi but PS4 exclusive, and after that all the PS3 games had been multi with PS4.

Where do you think the PS4 sales could've been? Over a million for sure.

Instead, Sony launched PS4 with late western games port. The only japanese appeal game was multi with PS3, and after launch another multi game and then the desert.

So, you don't launch games that appeal the japanese, and you expect the market reacts just because?

Don't blame the japanese gaming and blame sony.

I highly doubt it :(

crinale

The fact is that it sold more than 500k without japanese games. Now release the games and we talk. But there's nothing so we can't.

I didn't disagree that more games will sell more PS4. Actually it's applicable to pretty much any device.
The thing is Hot Shots Golf and such don't have mass Japanese appeal anymore, IMO. The only console games that still have mass appeal (to the point it would move +100K of units) are some Nintendo games, Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. That's all I can think of (I'm not even trying to exaggerate here).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Ohhh I want to know what it means

ήξεις αφήξεις, ουκ εν πολέμω θνήξεις -> you will go you will return you will not die at war
ήξεις αφήξεις ουκ, εν πολέμω θνήξεις -> you will go you will not return you will die at war

Holy shit, I just found out that Japan even has monthly TCG sales charts.

1. Yu-Gi-Oh ARCV OCG The Duelist Advent - 7,717,651

Hmm almost 8 million in a month for a booster pack.. maybe a big budget exclusive Yu-Gi-Oh game could save PS4!

it's coming to 3DS and pushing it back up YoY instead /s

http://garaph.info/softwareindividual.php//gid/665

Super Smash Bros. Melee: 357,101
Hardware LTD: 428,789
Attach % LTD: 83.28

What is 1/3 to 1/4 to Nintendo fanboys?

Melee was just that good :p

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
If you had a GC at that moment in time and didn't buy Smash what the hell is wrong with you.

Same for MK8 and WiiU - since its not like there is much other software coming in the next month and the special promo means you will be able to have access to two other fullprice games as well.

Same for MK8 and WiiU - since its not like there is much other software coming in the next month and the special promo means you will be able to have access to two other fullprice games as well.

are they giving a free game in Japan if you buy MK8? I only saw the NA direct and saw the thread for EU

Japan needs some deals

maxiell

Making Delsin Japanese might have been a smarter choice. Infamous 2 didn't open so terribly (33k) but it hardly did well. it'll be interesting to see if Second Son can beat it on the much smaller install base.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Making Delsin Japanese might have been a smarter choice. Infamous 2 didn't open so terribly (33k) but it hardly did well. it'll be interesting to see if Second Son can beat it on the much smaller install base.

That wouldnt really fix anything truthfully.

Nibel

ήξεις αφήξεις, ουκ εν πολέμω θνήξεις -> you will go you will return you will not die at war
ήξεις αφήξεις ουκ, εν πολέμω θνήξεις -> you will go you will not return you will die at war

That's a pretty neat sentence structure with the emphasis on the comma placement, and of course it puts the post you've "quoted" into a different context, hehe - thanks

Takao

Banned
it's coming to 3DS and pushing it back up YoY instead /s

Yu-Gi-Oh! was once the hot shit in portable video games:

PS1 : Yu-Gi-Oh! Capsule Monster Breed & Battle ( Konami ) { 1998-07-23 } - 80,259 / 255,490
NGB : Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters ( Konami ) { 1998-12-17 } - 683,948 / 1,522,971
NGB : Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters II ( Konami ) { 1999-07-08 } - 401,533 / 984,862
PS1 : Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories ( Konami ) { 1999-12-09 } - 183,295 / 453,034
NGB : Yu-Gi-Oh! Capture Monster GB ( Konami ) { 2000-04-13 } - 36,220 / 129,095
NGB : Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters III ( Konami ) { 2000-07-13 } - 327,686 / 726,519
PS1 : Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories [Konami the Best] ( Konami ) { 2000-07-13 } - 5,014 / 57,770
NGB : Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters IV ( Konami ) { 2000-12-07 } - 1,228,599 / 2,210,163
GBA : Yu-Gi-Oh! Dungeon Dice Monsters ( Konami ) { 2001-03-21 } - 61,325 / 145,354
GBA : Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters 5: Expert 1 ( Konami ) { 2001-07-05 } - 221,654 / 410,534
PS2 : Yu-Gi-Oh! The Duelists of the Roses ( Konami ) { 2001-09-06 } - 39,730 / 76,248
GBA : Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters 6: Expert 2 ( Konami ) { 2001-12-20 } - 139,947 / 264,056
GBA : Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters 7: The Sacred Cards ( Konami ) { 2002-07-04 } - 128,343 / 238,112
NGC : Yu-Gi-Oh! The Falsebound Kingdom ( Konami ) { 2002-12-05 } - 13,312 / 35,463
GBA : Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters 8: Hametsu no Daijashin ( Konami ) { 2003-03-20 } - 53,944 / 118,122
GBA : Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters: International ( Konami ) { 2003-04-17 } - 21,300 / 58,798
GBA : Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters: Expert 3 ( Konami ) { 2004-02-05 } - 29,929 / 73,870
PS2 : Yu-Gi-Oh! Capsule Monster Colosseum ( Konami ) { 2004-07-29 } - 8,166 / 17,080
GBA : Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters: International 2 ( Konami ) { 2004-12-30 } - 30,791 / 67,205
GBA : Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters: Beginner's Pack 2005 ( Konami ) { 2005-04-28 } - - / 21,561
NDS : Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters: Nightmare Troubadour ( Konami ) { 2005-07-21 } - 39,016 / 102,249
GBA : Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters GX ( Konami ) { 2005-10-13 } - 37,483 / 89,862
GBA : Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters: World Championship 2006 ( Konami ) { 2006-02-23 } - 22,186 / 71,644
PSP : Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters GX: Tag Force ( Konami ) { 2006-09-14 } - 20,491 / 47,761
NDS : Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters GX: Spirit Summoner ( Konami ) { 2006-11-30 } - 20,521 / 98,502
NDS : Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters: World Championship 2007 ( Konami ) { 2007-03-15 } - 18,025 / 57,322
PSP : Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters GX: Tag Force 2 ( Konami ) { 2007-09-27 } - 30,168 / 121,285
NDS : Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters: World Championship 2008 ( Konami ) { 2007-11-29 } - 38,563 / 146,945
PS2 : Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters GX: Tag Force Evolution ( Konami ) { 2007-12-06 } - 7,300 / 7,300
PSP : Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters GX: Tag Force 3 ( Konami ) { 2008-11-27 } - 63,885 / 161,878
NDS : Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's World Championship 2009: Stardust Accelerator ( Konami ) { 2009-03-26 } - 36,491 / 91,895
WII : Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Wheelie Breakers ( Konami ) { 2009-03-26 } - 7,700 / 32,234
PSP : Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 4 ( Konami ) { 2009-09-17 } - 52,235 / 111,136
NDS : Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's World Championship 2010: Reverse of Arcadia ( Konami ) { 2010-02-18 } - 24,538 / 60,636
PSP : Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 5 ( Konami ) { 2010-09-16 } - 53,380 / 98,423
NDS : Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's World Championship 2011: Over The Nexus ( Konami ) { 2011-02-24 } - 22,401 / 55,167
WII : Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Duel Transer ( Konami ) { 2011-04-21 } - 4,088 / 13,743
PSP : Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 6 ( Konami ) { 2011-09-22 } - 66,007 / 122,800
3DS : Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal: Gekitotsu! Duel Carnival ( Konami ) { 2013-12-05 } - 38,451 / 68,766

hiska-kun

are they giving a free game in Japan if you buy MK8? I only saw the NA direct and saw the thread for EU

Japan needs some deals

In Japan if you buy Mario Kart 8 from it's release till the 30th of June, you can download two games for free and play it for a limited time, 30 days. After that you can not play the games anymore.

These games are:

NSMBU
Nintendo Land
Game & Wario
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
Zelda Wind Waker HD

Then extra info in streetsahead post.

XDDX

Again, look at how it is tracking compared to prior Wii U titles if you think the Wii U userbase is going to hold the numbers down to that extent. If it keeps the MK7 trajectory, MK8 would have about 4.5x the number of SM3D World and Pikmin 3 orders.
Yeah, that is a much better comparison. It's too early for me to judge right now but it will be interesting to see how it goes.

In Japan if you buy Mario Kart 8 from it's release till the 30th of June, you can download a game for free and play it for a limited time, 30 days. After that you can not play the game anymore.

These games are:

NSMBU
Nintendo Land
Game & Wario
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
Zelda Wind Waker HD

1) You can download 2 games free for the month trial, not 1.
2) You can buy the full versions of the games you trialed from the eShop for 40% off.
3) Buying one allows you to download another game from the 6 for the month trial (downloadable between August 1st ~ October 31st).
4) Any additional trial games you download can be bought with the 40% discount.
5) You can use this system to trial/buy all six games, if you please.

watershed

Banned
2) You can buy the full versions of the games you trialed from the eShop for 40% off.
3) Buying one allows you to download another game from the 6 for the month trial (downloadable between August 1st ~ October 31st).

This sounds much better than what you quoted.

hiska-kun

Oh yeah it was two games ( I edit that part). I read it like one week ago and i forgot.

Thanks for the extra info.

Shurayuki

can you guys in Japan tell us who these guys are in the MK8 CMs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxFtO_JbWds

I'm guessing a Jpop group?

I don't like these commercials at all, the other ones were fine

Kanjani 8.

You do the math why they used them.

^curses

I posted this on my blog yesterday over an Alpha Version of Fossil Fighters: Infinite Gear available through Corocoro but having a few translation issues (as in please help!). Thanks!

http://www.pal-shop.jp/user_data/kaseki.php

Right while I'm getting ninja'd might also reply to this. I mean it's not really all that much new content is it?

- You have the two new "Reviver" (whatever you may call it) models of the T-rex and the Zuniceratops.
- 8 other models available for use (they seem to already have been in the game albeit only usable in special sections?)
- The 2 CoroCoro based vehicles for use right from the start.

If you have the basic version and play coop with the Coro-version you can excavate and use the stuff from the special version too.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
That only restricts Level-5's potential venues for the future, and builds the wrong idea about it being a Nintendo IP. I suspect both the LBX and Yokai Watch video games will be distributed in the west by Bandai Namco. They're already the licensee for the toys in Japan (globally for LBX) and worked with Level-5 on Nino Kuni PS3.

Why distributing it under Bandai, having also the toy line with Bandai logo, would be better for L5 than having it translated and published/distributed by Nintendo, that can guarantee (look at Layton and Inazuma) good localization and distribution deals without having a Nintendo branded toy line on the shelves?
Plus, isn't Nintendo a very good deal for kids-oriented brand such as this one?

In any case, to me the important thing is getting it, localized.

Takao

Banned
Compile Heart's Moero Chronicles (PSV) has shipped over 50k. There have been sell outs, with the next shipment expected for May 21st. The game launched last week and is the followup to Monster Monpiece. http://www.compileheart.com/news/?num=20140519

Why distributing it under Bandai, having also the toy line with Bandai logo, would be better for L5 than having it translated and published/distributed by Nintendo, that can guarantee (look at Layton and Inazuma) good localization and distribution deals without having a Nintendo branded toy line on the shelves?
Plus, isn't Nintendo a very good deal for kids-oriented brand such as this one?

In any case, to me the important thing is getting it, localized.

Because you can easily cross-promote products with each other if they're under the same company. Because if Level-5 wants to make iOS/Android games they haven't created the impression that it's a Nintendo series? It's not like Bandai Namco is a niche publisher or something. Their games are almost always carried in major stores.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Because you can easily cross-promote products with each other if they're under the same company. Because if Level-5 wants to make iOS/Android games they haven't created the impression that it's a Nintendo series? It's not like Bandai Namco is a niche publisher or something. Their games are almost always carried in major stores.

but I can't understand how having the same well known company that makes also the toys would be better than Nintendo, if you were saying that being published by Nintendo would make the game perceived as "nintendo" and not "Level5".
wouldn't that be even worst, pushing the game being perceived as Bandai even more?

if you say that it would be more cohesive to have the same company promotiong toys and videogame, I could agree

$h@d0w

Compile Heart's Moero Chronicles (PSV) has shipped over 50k. There have been sell outs, with the next shipment expected for May 21st. The game launched last week and is the followup to Monster Monpiece. http://www.compileheart.com/news/?num=20140519

iS0qZnFptK0LD.gif

sörine

Banned
Nintendo handling Layton didn't keep Layton Brothers off iOS. That said I still feel like the toy cross-promotion with Namco Bandai would be beneficial, they're a strong western 3DS publisher already and with the success of Ni No Kuni I can see them being eager to work more with Level 5. Plus I don't think Nintendo is at all interested in LBX and Yo-kai Watch might be a little too close to Pokémon for them to schedule in.

I'd still rather see Nintendo pick up Fantasy Life anyway personally.

Top Bottom