• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 19, 2014 (May 05 - May 11)

Level 5's best selling game is Inazuma Eleven 2 at 1,145,388 according to Famitsu. Looks like Youkai Watch has a fair chance at topping that. Crazy.

Japan has nothing to play unlike the west .
It's rather telling that you can't name any PS4 software for months to come .

NA alone can make up PS3 sales numbers for PS4 in the west .

I actually think in the long term, the sales trend for all consoles is going to be slower then last generation in North America. A lot more competition for "entertainment time" for the masses.

Shengar

So, what's with 3DS number lately? I thought the hardware is already saturated. Maybe it's really because of Youkai Watch?

mclem

Vita and 3DS.

But I already have those!

(And given region-locking, Vita might be the smarter choice of the two... but I generally find the 3DS titles more appealing. Gnngh.)

As far as I'm concerned, I'll pick up all platforms in due course; it's the way I do things. But I can see things being a bit tricky for someone who isn't an obsessive collector.

I remember it differently. At least as far as media create threads go.

I think he is talking about general PS4 sales threads. There was talk of PS4 being the next PS2 with tons of mid-level Japanese games from some folks. Was just fantasy for the folks who were caught in the hype.

L Thammy

Does Nintendo own Yo-kai Watch? What are the chances of it ever showing up on the Vita?

Level-5 owns Yo-kai Watch. I don't think they'd be opposed to releasing a Vita game, but I don't think they gain much advantage from it. Nintendo did some international publishing for Nintendo's Inazuma Eleven.

Oemenia

Banned
Level-5 owns Yo-kai Watch. I don't think they'd be opposed to releasing a Vita game, but I don't think they gain much advantage from it. Nintendo did some international publishing for Nintendo's Inazuma Eleven.
This is what I don't understand, why on Earth have Sony not courted Level-5, could the fallout from WKC been that bad?

All they need is one killer hit for the Vita from them.

Spiegel

So, what's with 3DS number lately? I thought the hardware is already saturated. Maybe it's really because of Youkai Watch?

Free (popular) game promotion is esentially a ~3-4000Y pricedrop for the 3DS XL. And the renewed advertisement push thanks to the promotion surely is helping.

TheChaos0

There is a range of opinions between "PS4 will save Japan" an "Japan is fucked". We know that there are heavy hitters coming to the PS4 and we shouldn't forget them, just as we shouldn't assume that the console can stay in the tomb until 2015 with no ill effect.

Pretty much this. It's hard to ignore the big games that will come out on the PS4, however the road to all these games seems to be a very long one and the longer PS4 has these apathetic sales the worse the situation will get.

I highly doubt PS4 will sell as well as the PS3

Well it's still impossible to say but PS3 had also very very slow start.

2006: 500k
2007: 1.2 m
2008: 1 m

Then in 2009 it sold about 1.8 million with Slim and FFXIII. Both have same problems (no software at first) but also same advantages (some big third party franchises that will come eventually now matter how bad the sales are).

prag16

Banned
The PS4 has a bigger potential for a comeback though.

True, but even launch aligned it's still losing ground. I still think it's likely PS4 will beat Wii U's LTD in the region, but I don't think that happens until well after Nintendo either has a successor out or discontinues it (or both). I mean, at this rate it won't even catch Wii U launch aligned until late next year probably..

Let's see next week who of that 8000 club blinks...

Freeman

Banned
Level 5 owns this so as popular as it has become maybe they will spread the IP to other platforms
They don't but either Inazuma or Layton... lots of sequels always on Nintendo.
Thanks for the answer, its an interesting thing. If its only a matter of incentive Sony is doing a poor job to convince them to also release their games on the Vita, how much can a port of a 3DS game cost?

I can see PS4 and WiiU continue to drop. I don't see much changing that until the Mario Kart bump. Not even sure if the PS4 has anything that can change its course in 2014. Curious to see if the streams will get crossed before Mario Kart already.

phanphare

Banned

Then in 2009 it sold about 1.8 million with Slim and FFXIII. Both have same problems (no software at first) but also same advantages (some big third party franchises that will come eventually now matter how bad the sales are).

correct me if I'm wrong but even with that slow start for PS3 isn't the PS4 still tracking behind it? and the PS3 launched at a ridiculous price.

L Thammy

This is what I don't understand, why on Earth have Sony not courted Level-5, could the fallout from WKC been that bad?

All they need is one killer hit for the Vita from them.

They released Little Battlers Xperience W for the Vita, so I don't think they have any bad blood with Sony or the system. They probably just don't have any interest.

Third parties are ultimately seeking their own benefit, and will pursue audiences and relationships based on that. A lot of Level-5's IPs are all-ages sort of things. The Vita has more of a niche appeal, so the 3DS is probably a better fit for these. These are the same sort of titles that I could easily see moving to mobile, however. Not sure how Level-5's done on that front.

vareon

Thanks for the answer, its an interesting thing. If its only a matter of incentive Sony is doing a poor job to convince them to also release their games on the Vita, how much can a port of a 3DS game cost?

3DS audience seems to fit L5-'s target market better, so I don't see them porting it even if the cost isn't that high. A spinoff maybe, but even then I reckon they'll rather make a smartphone version.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
To be very honest, two things

1) The list lacks the recent Idea Factory announcement, coming this September
2) Mayyyyyyyyyyyybe Watch Dogs could do decent enough to bring the console over 10,000 units for one week

Still, awful. I'm starting wondering if Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate will debut worse than Hyper (the Wii U launch version).

2006 was less then 2 months of sales, and as we all know, after 10 weeks, is currently outselling the PS4.

prag16

Banned
correct me if I'm wrong but even with that slow start for PS3 isn't the PS4 still tracking behind it? and the PS3 launched at a ridiculous price.

You are correct, launch aligned, those streams already crossed a week or two ago. This week puts PS4 farther behind.

Does anybody have PS4 vs. PS3 vs. Wii U numbers, launch aligned?

Freeman

Banned
3DS audience seems to fit L5-'s target market better, so I don't see them porting it even if the cost isn't that high. A spinoff maybe, but even then I reckon they'll rather make a smartphone version.
I meant Sony stepping in and paying for the cost, their audience won't be on the Vita if their games never release there. A Pokemon-esque game would be a great addition to Vita's library.

TheChaos0

To be very honest, two things

1) The list lacks the recent Idea Factory announcement, coming this September
2) Mayyyyyyyyyyyybe Watch Dogs could do decent enough to bring the console over 10,000 units for one week

Still, awful. I'm starting wondering if Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate will debut worse than Hyper (the Wii U launch version).

Good point, considering how well GTA5 did, there might be some movement.

2006 was less then 2 months of sales, and as we all know, after 10 weeks, is currently outselling the PS4.

PS3 launched during holiday season though so it's little unfair to make straight comparison. PS3 too was doing pretty horrible numbers already in April 2007. Still I guess my main point is that the PS3 also had very slow start and yet it went to sell about 10 million. Sure PS4 could do million or two less but no GC numbers.

Top Bottom