• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 19, 2014 (May 05 - May 11)

test_account

XP-39C²
so...by the time PS4 catches up to Wii U (if it ever does) Nintendo could have their next home console on the market. ouch.
Yeah, its definitelly a possibility for that. But regarding PS3 vs Gamecube, despite it taking the PS3 about 3 years to catch up to what the Gamecube sold in the same time, the Gamecube LTD ended up at about 4 million, while the PS3 LTD will end up at 10+ million. Its hard to say how things will end up in the long run.

Those franchises will surely come to PS4 because of Western sales possibility.
But...what if they come to other consoles as well, like...I don't know...next Nintendo handheld and Vita?
You mean as separate entries? Or mainline entries?

I don't see the latter. I don't think any of them are willing to sacrifice western sales for the likes of FF or MGS or RE.

They've already been doing the former though.

darkwing

Mind boggling how Sony didn't get any Japanese software lined up after launch. That release list posted earlier means nothing on the horizon till November onwards. We might be looking at a Vita year 1 situation again.

yup, Sony dropped the ball by launching in Japan without games, I really see the PS4 going 5k on some of this year's weeks

EGM1966

I have the feeling that the Wii U is going to sell more than the PS4 (New console) this year (2014) in Japan.

It's possible. Sony are clearly more interested in securing West right now. They'll let PS4 slowly pick up with games for Japanese market but they're clearly in no rush to get said games to the market.

vareon

Mind boggling how Sony didn't get any Japanese software lined up after launch. That release list posted earlier means nothing on the horizon till November onwards. We might be looking at a Vita year 1 situation again.

They need developers to do so, and those developers are either content with their games on 3DS/PS3/Vita, mobile, or dead. And with costs rising, the bigger developers can't churn out titles like they used to.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
You mean as separate entries? Or mainline entries?

I don't see the latter. I don't think any of them are willing to sacrifice western sales for the likes of FF or MGS or RE.

They've already been doing the former though.

I meant the former. Not all the series of course, but some of them could make the jump, if sales continue like this. Especially the ones relying more on Japanese sales. Again, I'm talking about titles coming to BOTH PS4 and Nintendo next handheld/Vita, not titles coming only on Nintendo next handheld/Vita and not PS4 anymore, since West can't be ignored.

RiggyRob

So what I'm getting from these console numbers is that Xbox One still has a chance?

Oh-Wait-Your-Serious-Let-Me-Laugh-Even-Harder-On-Futurama.gif

jeremy1456

ps4 and Wii u about to cross streams? Who'd have thunk? Remember before the ps 4 launch some of us were saying Japan is f***ed and sony fans were all "Nothing to see here every thing is fine! It's just that the Wii u is an 'undesirable product'"

It wasn't that hard to predict that Wii U and PS4 would cross streams. Come on, people.

It has been obvious for a good long while.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
If Japanese publishers want to sell their games in the West, they will have to put it on the PS4,. The only other alternative is to leave the console market altogether.

I'm not saying third parties won't eventually hop on the ps4 train. You're right they have no choice because of the west. I'm just wondering what kind of state the ps4 will be in by the time in gets 3rd party support considering its down to 8k a week already.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
jesus - these figures - had a chat with the Japanese guys i work with today and we were talking about MH5 and the opinions for it's destination were , to a man, "Lol, Iphone/Mobile"

btw - Tokyoites - if you want a cheap PS4? 32,000 with out camera until tomorrow in Traders Shinjuku, 34,000 with.

They also have a sign up saying , translated, "WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF 1080P!" ... rooflez?

TheChaos0

I'm not saying third parties won't eventually hop on the ps4 train. You're right they have no choice because of the west. I'm just wondering what kind of state the ps4 will be in by the time in gets 3rd party support considering its down to 8k a week already.

Limping hard, unless things pick up. I hope I'm wrong or some notable titles will come out sooner than I expect them to.

prag16

Banned
It's been obvious since the line up was announced. The surprised posts are really baffling.

This strikes me as a little bit revisionist. Perhaps a few people were predicting it to drop below Wii U on a weekly basis this soon, but it couldn't have been many. That certainly wasn't the consensus, even after the lineup was known.

This is ridiculous. Sony and Nintendo are at each other's throat, kicking and punching each other on the deck of the Titanic. Do they really want cell phone providers to take over the industry they've helped to build and sustain?

prag16

Banned
A lot of sales-age regulars predicted that PS4 would be going sub 10k shortly after launch.

Off topic, but where did the term "sales-age" come from? "Sales" isn't an age as in a time period. What does it mean? Is it just a strange term that 'stuck'? I've literally never seen it used anywhere else.

RalchAC

This strikes me as a little bit revisionist. Perhaps a few people were predicting it to drop below Wii U on a weekly basis this soon, but it couldn't have been many. That certainly wasn't the consensus, even after the lineup was known.

There wasn't a consensus, but there was quite some people that expected the PS4 to do bad numbers during its first year. People discussed it here.

Outside this thread (there were some other where people talked about JP PS4 sales before it launched) there was more optimism though.

Off topic, but where did the term "sales-age" come from? "Sales" isn't an age as in a time period. What does it mean? Is it just a strange term that 'stuck'? I've literally never seen it used anywhere else.

GAF gaming age forums this was the name before NEOGAF was created this was gaming age thus sales age came from there many years ago

SS

ßig

Unconfirmed Member

the -age is from gaming-age (the GA in NeoGAF)

EDIT: 2slow

prag16

Banned
Outside this thread (there were some other where people talked about JP PS4 sales before it launched) there was more optimism though.

That could be; I probably was in the non media create threads more than the media create threads before PS4 launch.

GAF gaming age forums this was the name before NEOGAF was created this was gaming age thus sales age came from there many years ago

I see; thanks!

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
This is ridiculous. Sony and Nintendo are at each other's throat, kicking and punching each other on the deck of the Titanic. Do they really want cell phone providers to take over the industry they've helped to build and sustain?
Post brought to you by a member named "The Horror the horror" (sorry, couldn't resist).

Gaming won't go away from TVs, don't worry about that, it's just that Nintendo and Sony have failed to make a compelling product for gamers that want games on a TV. Both companies need to adapt to the new era of gaming; but if both fail, some other company with better ideas will take up that space.

Nintendo is planning on releasing a console with a new OS, so they can bring new consoles faster (every 1 or 2 years) and is compatible with all games previously released, like Android or iOS games. Sony bought Gaikai, I wouldn't be surprised if they make a gaming channel on platforms like Fire TV or Chromecast and see how the market reacts. Both companies are worried and will change in the future.

E-phonk

Banned
I really don't see how in the long run PS4 will continue to sell WiiU like numbers. Unlike WiiU it will have actual third party support. Big Japanese franchises like RE, MGS, FF, KH and Tales of will come eventually and then there is the ever growing western production (COD pulls over 200k these days and well with GTAV GTA has become a big franchise even in Japan). WiiU has only Nintendo and considering how dead it is everywhere I can't see Nintendo supporting it as long as publishers support PS4.

And still most nintendo firstparty games sell more than these games in Japan. There aren't a lot of million sellers in that list of third party games.

phanphare

Banned
Post brought to you by a member named "The Horror the horror" (sorry, couldn't resist).

Gaming won't go away from TVs, don't worry about that, it's just that Nintendo and Sony have failed to make a compelling product for gamers that want games on a TV. Both companies need to adapt to the new era of gaming; but if both fail, some other company with better ideas will take up that space.

Nintendo is planning on releasing a console with a new OS, so they can bring new consoles faster (every 1 or 2 years) and is compatible with all games previously released, like Android or iOS games. Sony bought Gaikai, I wouldn't be surprised if they make a gaming channel on platforms like Fire TV or Chromecast and see how the market reacts. Both companies are worried and will change in the future.

it already has though

Sucks the Vita has been slowly dropping in sales -

Youkai Watch is simply amazing to follow each week.
Once I get a 3DS probably the first game I buy.

Sword Online , I'm surprised it's doing this well.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
3DS doing good.

Nintendo is keen on no price-cuts for FY15 and the 3DS LL promotion seems to be working to some extent.

Yokai keeps trucking, Mario Golf sales are a disappointment.

Metallix87

Sony was very lucky with PS4 in the West. Hype drove sales, despite a lack of worthwhile killer exclusives. In Japan, the situation is much more dire for them, especially since the content they do have isn't appealing to that region. Wii U will cross streams with PS4 within the next two weeks, and I'm not sure if and when they cross back.

RM8

Are Mario Golf sales really that bad compared to previous games? I think someone said they were on par with other Mario Golf games :x

Also, 3DS keeps owning Japan even after market saturation :p We need a redesign soon.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Could a Definitive Edition of something a) happen and b) sell? I'm thinking Dark Souls 2 primarily, but there might be other games that'd fit the bill (I don't really see TLOU having the required impact, though)

I don't really imagine so.

Japan doesn't seem super interested in upgraded cross-gen versions, especially no where near the way next-gen versions of cross-gen games have taken over in the West.

Given the market primarily plays on smartphones and the 3DS, this makes sense.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
How did the GBA mario golf sell?

3DS: Mario Golf World Tour ( Nintendo ) { 2014-05-01 } - 58,745 / 82.829
GBA : Mario Golf: Advance Tour ( Nintendo ) { 2004-04-22 } - 28,581 / 88,904
NGC : Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour ( Nintendo ) { 2003-09-05 } - 63,263 / 192,802
N64 : Mario Golf 64 ( Nintendo ) { 1999-06-11 } - 126,108 / 470,778
NGB : Mario Golf GB ( Nintendo ) { 1999-08-10 } - 92,760 / 219,830

The sales are disappointing to my eyes but the series has experienced drops with each new iteration, 3DS seems to be breaking that trend though.

Top Bottom