• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 19, 2014 (May 05 - May 11)

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
it already has though
No it hasn't, it's just that gaming for TVs that's being offered today is not compelling to consumers. Consoles have become awkward, with long installation times, AWFUL OS, need to pay for online gaming, long loading times, need for external storage and really uncompetitive prices for games, compared to what's being offered on alternatives.

But the TVs are still there, people are still there; so when someone offers a better device for gaming on TVs, people will buy them.

AdanVC

PS4 now on the 1k digit number sales... And without decent game launches for PS4 on the horizon Wii U will surpass it pretty comfortably the next few weeks (months?) thanks to MK8.

Go 3DS and Vita! You're literally the only ones who can save gaming in Japan :'(

I think it ranged from tepid to market-saving. But I don't think anybody was foolhardy enough to even consider final PS4 < Wii U LTD prelaunch. That it's even a possibility now is a little jarring, after how the Wii U has struggled.

That's definitely an eye-opener.

I think there needs to be more innovation on the console front as it appears the industry might not survive if it maintains the status quo.

RM8

Unlike most people, I'm okay with Japan being handheld-land. Other regions seem to like handhelds less now, but despite Japan's huge crush on mobile, 3DS has done pretty well in Japan. So yeah, I like seeing 3DS and Vita in first and second place, I just wish WiiU wouldn't sell so miserably :p

Sony was very lucky with PS4 in the West. Hype drove sales, despite a lack of worthwhile killer exclusives. In Japan, the situation is much more dire for them, especially since the content they do have isn't appealing to that region. Wii U will cross streams with PS4 within the next two weeks, and I'm not sure if and when they cross back.

Once something good comes out for the ps4 over there im sure it will change. I really hope MK8 sparks the Wii U to selling at 3DS levels until Smash comes out to carry the torch.. But I doubt that will happen... Im sure it will have somewhat of an improved SM3DW impact that lasts a tad longer. The Wii U averages around 7-8k on NPDs .. im sure that will increase to 10 to 15 range while it's hot.

AniHawk

i'm super curious as to when ps4 sales will pick up. gt 7 prologue would be a big seller in the short term that could possibly be out in 2014. other than that...? i guess we'll see some stuff at tgs and e3. final fantasy xv is at least a year away. the phantom pain may be as well.

the ps4 may actually have a difficult time cracking a million units sold this year. i just don't see what turns it around.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Comgnet's retail chain preorder comparison, as of May, 14th 2014

[3DS] Yokai Watch 2 - 155pt + 118pt = 273pt

[Wii] Mario Kart Wii - 159pt
[3DS] Mario Kart 7 - 129pt
[WiiU] Mario Kart 8 - 136pt

[PSV] Persona 4 The Golden - 129pt
[3DS] Etrian Odyssey IV - 51pt
[3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV - 94pt
[3DS] Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl - 44pt
[3DS] Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - 100pt

[PSV] Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2 - 27pt
[PSV] Ch&#333; Megami Shink&#333; Noire: Gekishin Black Heart - 38pt + 19pt = 57pt

AniHawk

Sony was very lucky with PS4 in the West. Hype drove sales, despite a lack of worthwhile killer exclusives. In Japan, the situation is much more dire for them, especially since the content they do have isn't appealing to that region. Wii U will cross streams with PS4 within the next two weeks, and I'm not sure if and when they cross back.

luck had nothing to do with it. sony positioned the system mainly as something for adult males and really made it feel like they were catering to the western market in particular. they had killzone and knack at launch, with drive club and infamous to be waiting in the wings. there were no attempts to grab the japanese market- nothing like hot shots or a gran turismo demo. for the time being, they basically xboxified the playstation console.

luck had nothing to do with it. sony positioned the system mainly as something for adult males and really made it feel like they were catering to the western market in particular. they had killzone and knack at launch, with drive club and infamous to be waiting in the wings. there were no attempts to grab the japanese market- nothing like hot shots or a gran turismo demo. for the time being, they basically xboxified the playstation console.

Smart move IMO.. They recognized just like MSFT did that you don't need Japan to win with a console. As long as they can garner sales from Europe then Japan would be irrelevant really.. Consoles just don't perform there so the focus isn't going to be there for them.. at least for now.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Is there really any reason the Wii U wont dominate the home console market in Japan
for the next two weeks
? lol

Metallix87

They should have forced Gran Turismo 6 as a PS4-exclusive at launch.

Also, I say luck because the lineup you just listed is very weak even by Western standards, IMO.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

[PSV] Ch&#333; Megami Shink&#333; Noire: Gekishin Black Heart - 38pt + 19pt = 57pt

Seems like a Mario 8 debut above 200k is a strong possibility.

Persona Q is doing great as well, more Persona to come to Nintendo platforms ;)

PS4 sub-10k, soon to cross with Wii U it looks like

Vita down which is a bit disappointing

3DS holding a bit I guess?

Hopefully the Wii U baseline is raised with kart and its not just a temporary bump when it comes out

phanphare

Banned
No it hasn't, it's just that gaming for TVs that's being offered today is not compelling to consumers. Consoles have become awkward, with long installation times, AWFUL OS, need to pay for online gaming, long loading times, need for external storage and really uncompetitive prices for games, compared to what's being offered on alternatives.

But the TVs are still there, people are still there; so when someone offers a better device for gaming on TVs, people will buy them.

I'm looking at what's actually happening not hypothetical situations

Those seem like good numbers for MK8.

Also it would be wise to switch over to mobile gaming right now. It'll save you anguish in he long run.

And to be honest, it's hard to fault Sony for that move. Nintendo aimed at a younger audience with the Wii U and it hasn't helped them much (though it's probably worth waiting a few months to see just how far below the Wii U the PS4 drops LTD). The Japan-centric stuff, I dunno if Nintendo's done as much but hey, Mario games, right? (I'm not really counting Monster Hunter because that feels so 3DS-centric.)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Seems like a Mario 8 debut above 400k is a strong possibility.

Persona Q is doing great as well, more Persona to come to Nintendo platforms ;)

Fixed ;)

No, seriously, I think there's a good chance to see MK8 having a debut > 400,000 copies. On Comgnet, it's tracking around what MK7 did, and MK7 debuted with over 400,000 copies.

Exile20

Hope to see 3ds, Wii U combo in the top 3 when MK8 is released.

Come on Wii U, hold on until Mk8, then hold on till B2, then hold on till X, then hold on till Smash. lol

I hope Nintendo does a huge MK8 push just the week before and during Mk8 release.

Exile20

Fixed ;)

No, seriously, I think there's a good chance to see MK8 having a debut > 400,000 copies. On Comgnet, it's tracking around what MK7 did, and MK7 debuted with over 400,000 copies.

How does this Comgnet work? How do you read it?

AniHawk

I kind of see Microsoft having won the US with the PS2 Playbook. Now Sony have basically taken market leadership back by being as much like the 360 as possible. So, circle of life I guess.

i... guess? i'm not sure i see how the 360 and the ps2 are very similar, at least at the start. the 360 sort of became the everybody console later in its life, but it had no widespread immediate appeal like the ps2 did.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Fixed ;)

Now now Iwata, conservative numbers remember ;)

RalchAC

How does this Comgnet work? How do you read it?

It could give you a general (not accurate) vision about how a game will perform. Most of the time that general vision will be true, sometimes not (Soul Sacrifice had shitty COMG points but a decent opening).

Can somebody compare how is Freedom Wars doing on COMG compared to Toukiden / God Eater (1 preferably) / Soul Sac? Seeing how some people post the info they may have a database I don't know.

i... guess? i'm not sure i see how the 360 and the ps2 are very similar, at least at the start. the 360 sort of became the everybody console later in its life, but it had no widespread immediate appeal like the ps2 did.
It was basically the lowest cost "core" system, offering a discernible upgrade from the previous gen, and MS brought on-board a critical mass of third party content.

That's basically the gist of what the PS4 has done now too.

I don't think the formula has been dramatically reworked.

Also wasn't it only really later in the PS2 cycle where it started focusing on things like SingStar and Eyetoy from memory?

Bad sales all around.

This thread is like the last refuge for good Nintendo sales, Japan is really in a world of its own when it comes to hardware sales.

Bad sales all around.

This thread is like the last refuge for good Nintendo sales, Japan is really in a world of its own when it comes to hardware sales.

they seem to change their minds easily too, other places once a hardware is dead it stays dead but in Japan look at Vita's return to health while on NPD Sony hardly releases the numbers

so you can't ever count out a platform unless the company ends production

Frodo

Fixed ;)

Not that I'm doubting you, but I'll be pretty impressed by that when everything debuted very poorly on the console so far. On the other hand, there seems to be some actual hype surrounding MK8...

Nibel

Consoles are dying a slow death

2YuooN0.jpg

Disgusting.

Top Bottom