• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 19, 2014 (May 05 - May 11)

I'm really surprised a sequel hasn't been announced. I'm personally wanting a dancing Kuma Tomo game after the Waku Waku Channel videos.

Likely just riding it out, hell I'm shocked they announced Dragon Ball Heroes Ultimate Mission 2 as soon as they did, I guess maybe the first slowed down enough. It's been quite a while since it was seen in the Top 50.

Wonder where Kuma Tomo is at now.

I'm super happy Arika has a definite positive income here, I don't think any of their other games do all that well.

I'd love to see Arika actually do a DB fighting game on 3DS, but also see if they can put out that Fighting Sample game they had a prototype of on 3DS.

Actually, Crafts & Meister (fucking love that name for some reason) also did Mushibugyo on 3DS, so both have 3DS experience, why not Fu-sion-HA both of them on another DB project, this time on 3DS?

BriBri

Likely just riding it out, hell I'm shocked they announced Dragon Ball Heroes Ultimate Mission 2 as soon as they did, I guess maybe the first slowed down enough. It's been quite a while since it was seen in the Top 50.

Wonder where Kuma Tomo is at now.

I'm super happy Arika has a definite positive income here, I don't think any of their other games do all that well.

I'd love to see Arika actually do a DB fighting game on 3DS, but also see if they can put out that Fighting Sample game they had a prototype of on 3DS.

Actually, Crafts & Meister (fucking love that name for some reason) also did Mushibugyo on 3DS, so both have 3DS experience, why not Fu-sion-HA both of them on another DB project, this time on 3DS?
Have you actually played Mushibugyo? I'm scared to bite...

And Kuma Tomo has to have sold well over 100,000 now. As in a lot over.

Have you actually played Mushibugyo? I'm scared to bite...

And Kuma Tomo has to have sold well over 100,000 now. As in a lot over.

Nah, only have a NA 3DS and don't import, so all JP-only games are a no-go for me. XD

DB Heroes UM did 285k, fucking crazy.

What will happen if the new DB game just announced for PS4/PS3/360 does low numbers like Battle of Z did and DBHUM2 does another 200k+? Bandai Namco can't ignore that if it happens.

I also wonder how a DB on 3DS would do in the west if it's a good one, like Shin Budokai 3.

BoZ did surprisingly well at 600k total WW on 3 platforms (after the really poor JP numbers) so the bulk was obviously in the west, but when DBHUM did close to half in JP alone on one platform, you have to wonder.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
first day sellthrough {2014.05.15}

[PS3] The Idolmaster: One for All <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥8.208) > 80%
[PSV] Genkai Totsuki Moero Chronicle [Limited Edition] <RPG> (Compile Heart) (¥9.504) - 60%
[PS3] Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed <RCE> (Sega) (¥7.538) - 20%
[WIU] Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed <RCE> (Sega) (¥7.538) - 20-30% (lowest sales for the week by far)

new releases {2014.05.22}

[3DS] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014: Samurai Blue Challenge <SPT> (Konami) (¥5.119)

[PSV] To Love Ru Trouble: Darkness - Battle Ecstasy # <ADV> (FuRyu) (¥7.538)
[PSV] To Love Ru Trouble: Darkness - Battle Ecstasy [Limited Edition] <ADV> (FuRyu) (¥9.698)
[PSV] Amnesia World # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.264)
[PSV] Amnesia World [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.424)

[PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014: Samurai Blue Challenge <SPT> (Konami) (¥3.067)

[PS4] Infamous: Second Son <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥7.452)
[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014: Samurai Blue Challenge <SPT> (Konami) (¥8.208)

[360] Cave Shooting Collection Kan <STG> (Cave) (¥26.784)

BriBri

Nah, only have a NA 3DS and don't import, so all JP-only games are a no-go for me. XD

What will happen if the new DB game just announced for PS4/PS3/360 does low numbers like Battle of Z did and DBHUM2 does another 200k+? Bandai Namco can't ignore that if it happens.

I also wonder how a DB on 3DS would do in the west if it's a good one, like Shin Budokai 3.

BoZ did surprisingly well at 600k total WW on 3 platforms (after the really poor JP numbers) so the bulk was obviously in the west, but when DBHUM did close to half in JP alone on one platform, you have to wonder.
Damn region lock!

I'd love to see a list of anime franchises from the Famicom era to today and how they compare. It's amazing for instance how much Doraemon once meant.

Mory Dunz

Not sure if this has been posted but KOEI's CEO mentioned in a recent interview that he is expecting more than 1 million copies of Hyrule Warriors to be sold worldwide.

He also mentioned that KOEI are working on collaboration titles, one coming later this year (could be Fatal Frame?) and another one which targets the Western market but this may come a bit later.

It could sell over a million. It could also sell less than 400K.
It all depends on if they advertise it at all. That's pretty much it. Yoshi's Island has showed that IMO.

And heh, Brawl still in the top 50.

To be honest, the more than catastrophically PS4 sales are a relief.

I had the fear that japanese gamers don't like good games anymore and therefore don't think about buying the Wii U. I had the fear that japanese gamers, like westen gamers, only want bombastic graphics, but PS4 ist not selling there too.

So the truth is: Japanes gamers LOVE the 3DS so much that they don't need another lover.

Takao

Banned
The last time a Dragon Ball home console game was made for the Japanese market was back in 1997. Since then, they've always been made for international audiences. It's just that they were successful domestically too. Ever since Bandai Namco dumped Dimps, and Spike Chunsoft started pumping out poor rehashes sales have dropped.

Dragon Ball Heroes is its own separate thing, so I'm really not sure success there would imply a traditional game's success.

I had the fear that japanese gamers don't like good games anymore and therefore don't think about buying the Wii U. I had the fear that japanese gamers, like westen gamers, only want bombastic graphics, but PS4 ist not selling there too.

So the truth is: Japanes gamers LOVE the 3DS so much that they don't need another lover.

The truth is: the traditional games industry is dying and Japan's home console decline is acting as a red herring for everything.

L Thammy

That's an... interesting take on things. I think that the Japanese audience isn't particularly attracted to consoles, and that they can find gaming experiences that satisfy them elsewhere. Moreover, the industry is slow-moving and risk-averse, so the support that consoles need isn't there as it used to be.

RalchAC

I think this case is quite similar to Naruto games. They show their strongest performance in the West so they're worth the investiment. Main difference is that Naruto games sell decently on PS3 in Japan while DBZ doesn't do that well. So it definitely make sense for Bamco to release a 3DS game to appeal that audience.

I think that if they do release it in the West they'd pull a One Piece Unlimited World Red (making it multiplatform). Well, if it has a good performance, I mean.

It could sell over a million. It could also sell less than 400K.
It all depends on if they advertise it at all. That's pretty much it. Yoshi's Island has showed that IMO.

And heh, Brawl still in the top 50.

Well, at least the game is a risk-free project for Tecmo. Nintendo has probably paid most (or the whole) development. And they're probably localizing and publishing the game in the West. So even if it doesn't do that well worldwide they won't lose any money.

And, to be honest, the game looks quite cool.

What if their secret project is a Gozilla musou? xD

Is this another, why are people liking and buying what I don't like?

The PS4 has plenty of beloved games in the West, in fact its got the biggest franchises. The equivalent in Japan would be PS4 coming out worth the biggest JP franchises which it clearly didn't.

Theres also the obvious reason that the console industry in Japan is nearly nothing compared to it in the West.

Didn't DBZ BOG just sell 600k?

I think, just like Naruto, its clear that the Western audience is more important here. Putting it on the PS4 is also a wise choice imo since the PS4 is clearly a big hit in the West and cross gen software sales have been surprisingly good. Maybe it does exceedingly well Namco will port Naruto and maybe even Tales on it. Hopefully. As much as I like my PS3 and will never sell it till I play ToZ and Persona 5, fi those games were available on PS4, I would ditch it immediately. It seems all my friends have moved to PS4 incredibly quickly and I would like to as well.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Comgnet's retail chain preorder comparison, as of May, 18th 2014

[3DS] Yokai Watch 2 - 169pt + 130pt = 299pt

[Wii] Mario Kart Wii - 192pt
[3DS] Mario Kart 7 - 145pt
[WiiU] Mario Kart 8 - 162pt

[PSV] Persona 4 The Golden - 137pt
[3DS] Etrian Odyssey IV - 55pt
[3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV - 105pt
[3DS] Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl - 52pt
[3DS] Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - 113pt

[PS3] Kamen Rider: Battride War Premium Sound & Movie Edition - 68pt
[PS3] Kamen Rider: Battride War II Premium TV & Movie Edition - 44pt

[PSV] Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2 - 30pt
[PSV] Ch&#333; Megami Shink&#333; Noire: Gekishin Black Heart - 38pt + 22pt = 60pt

Comgnet's retail chain preorder comparison, as of May, 18th 2014

[3DS] Yokai Watch 2 - 169pt + 130pt = 299pt

[Wii] Mario Kart Wii - 192pt
[3DS] Mario Kart 7 - 145pt
[WiiU] Mario Kart 8 - 162pt

[PSV] Persona 4 The Golden - 137pt
[3DS] Etrian Odyssey IV - 55pt
[3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV - 105pt
[3DS] Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl - 52pt
[3DS] Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - 113pt

[PS3] Kamen Rider: Battride War Premium Sound & Movie Edition - 68pt
[PS3] Kamen Rider: Battride War II Premium TV & Movie Edition - 44pt

[PSV] Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2 - 30pt
[PSV] Ch&#333; Megami Shink&#333; Noire: Gekishin Black Heart - 38pt + 22pt = 60pt

What are the last day pre-orders of SMT4, P4G, MK7 and MKWii?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
What are the last day pre-orders of SMT4, P4G, MK7 and MKWii?

Last day, you say?

[3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV - 162pt
[PSV] Persona 4 The Golden - unknown: that day, Comg didn't release the daily chart
[3DS] Mario Kart 7 - 297pt
[Wii] Mario Kart Wii - 450pt

Last day, you say?

[3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV - 162pt
[PSV] Persona 4 The Golden - unknown: that day, Comg didn't release the daily chart
[3DS] Mario Kart 7 - 297pt
[Wii] Mario Kart Wii - 450pt

Wow MK7 had a big boost over the current day as did MKWii, I assume the days you post are the same number of days prior to each launch?

Think PQ and MK8 will really get a boost and maybe get close or overtake their peers? MK8 is just two weeks from release with PQ next month. Also what was the last recorded number for P4G?

Mory Dunz

Hm, MK8 appears to be pulling away from MK7. Wonder if it'll last.

MkWii pulling away from all.
Wonder what their FWs were...

Fake Edit:
01./00. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800) - 423.619 / NEW
01./00. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 593,576 / NEW

Hmmm....if the Comget remains between those two, can we predict an opening between those two? I guess we'll see.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Fake Edit:
01./00. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800) - 423.619 / NEW

Hmmm....if the Comget remains between those two, can we predict an opening between those two? I guess we'll see.

That'd be a pretty massive success if it manages that. Granted even then It likely wouldn't move that many systems.

XDDX

Fake Edit:

That's not how comgnet works. It'll likely be much lower than 7 even if it gets more points.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
That's not how comgnet works. It'll likely be much lower than 7 even if it gets more points.

It certainly isn't perfect, but in addition to the franchise comparison, MK8 is also tracking significantly higher than any other Wii U title (already 2x the total amount of pre orders SM3D World and Pikmin 3 garnered, for example)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Yeh if Mario Kart 8 opened anywhere near MK7 or MKWii, it'd be a massive success. It'd also have to move some systems imo. Otherwise it'd mean 1/3 to 1/4 of the Wii U current install base went and bought MK8 in the first week, which would be insane....

zeromcd73

Youkai Watch is at it again!

New Youkai Medal packs were released today and Japan are lining up again. Apparently even young children stayed up all night waiting in line to get them. One place even reported that over 800 people were in line waiting for the store to open!
0YgQMAq.jpg

mBuMIsB.jpg

aCIlMtf.jpg

Anth0ny

New Youkai Medal packs were released today and Japan are lining up again. Apparently even young children stayed up all night waiting in line to get them. One place even reported that over 800 people were in line waiting for the store to open!

Insane.

Is Youkai Watch selling out every week? From what I heard on 8-4 Play, there seems to be supply constraints. Or maybe that was just the toys?

first day sellthrough {2014.05.15}

[PS3] The Idolmaster: One for All <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥8.208) > 80%
[PSV] Genkai Totsuki Moero Chronicle [Limited Edition] <RPG> (Compile Heart) (¥9.504) - 60%
[PS3] Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed <RCE> (Sega) (¥7.538) - 20%
[WIU] Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed <RCE> (Sega) (¥7.538) - 20-30% (lowest sales for the week by far)

new releases {2014.05.22}

[3DS] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014: Samurai Blue Challenge <SPT> (Konami) (¥5.119)

[PSV] To Love Ru Trouble: Darkness - Battle Ecstasy # <ADV> (FuRyu) (¥7.538)
[PSV] To Love Ru Trouble: Darkness - Battle Ecstasy [Limited Edition] <ADV> (FuRyu) (¥9.698)
[PSV] Amnesia World # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.264)
[PSV] Amnesia World [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.424)

[PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014: Samurai Blue Challenge <SPT> (Konami) (¥3.067)

[PS4] Infamous: Second Son <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥7.452)
[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014: Samurai Blue Challenge <SPT> (Konami) (¥8.208)

[360] Cave Shooting Collection Kan <STG> (Cave) (¥26.784)

why so little love for Sonic Racing?

What is a Youkai medal pack?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

Hopefully Nintendo gets the license for NOA and NOE markets. The series has immense potential.

zeromcd73

So you can't use them with the game?
This is like the Pokemon Cards

Nintendo you need to grab Level 5 before someone else scoops in

I don't know much about them but I'm pretty sure they don't go with the game.

It seems you buy the separate Youkai watch (the actual watch!) and you put the medals in it and it makes noise. Most likely they're just for collecting and for kids to spend loads of money on.

Here's a video which might interest you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSwGyAdg_WE

NomarTyme

Just googled it... omg. I can see this as huge hit in America.

I don't know much about them but I'm pretty sure they don't go with the game.

It seems you buy the separate Youkai watch (the actual watch!) and you put the medals in it and it makes noise. Most likely they're just for collecting and for kids to spend loads of money on.

Here's a video which might interest you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSwGyAdg_WE

when I first saw the first footage of the game before we even knew the platform for it I thought it would be special but have not even seen to Anime

might want to if its good but yeah from that video watch + medals wow they are eating kids up those poor parents

this is the new king of fads

hope they are smart and can keep it alive for more than 3 years

Yagharek

The truth is: the traditional games industry is dying and Japan's home console decline is acting as a red herring for everything.

This doesnt make any sense. A red herring is like a decoy. Perhaps you meant that the JP console market is more like the canary in the mineshaft in terms of metaphors?

Soriku

Dem system numbers. Everyone's at where they should be. The gaps in between are about right too.

ohlawd pls

If you're happy about high handheld numbers and (relatively) low console numbers, it's been the case for a long time now :x

ohlawd

ohlawd pls

If you're happy about high handheld numbers and (relatively) low console numbers, it's been the case for a long time now :x

more like when 3DS dropped to insanely super shit numbers, numbers so shit it tied with Vita and was outsold like... once? Iunno, maybe twice? I gotta look back.

Console numbers. Ahh man I couldn't give a fuck even if I tried. They should all be doing like sub 5k or some shit.

MK should open up at 300k at the minimum, 400k seems to be more inline with the general hype and push that Nintendo is giving it. Its all about the legs anyway, I hope it doesn't suffer too much from low Wii U sales, especially when I don't see the game pushing the console sales much further than its already selling.

XDDX

That means you know how comgnet works. How much lower will it open then? 200k?
Haha, I wish! I've been following comgnet for years and it's fun to look at the charts and the comparisons, but in the end it's hard to know how a title will do based solely on the comgnet numbers.

Too early for me to predict what MK8 will do but I'm looking forward to the predictions for June.

MK should open up at 300k at the minimum, 400k seems to be more inline with the general hype and push that Nintendo is giving it. Its all about the legs anyway, I hope it doesn't suffer too much from low Wii U sales, especially when I don't see the game pushing the console sales much further than its already selling.

I would be so damn happy if it beat MKWii I know it has no chance but damn I want to see it

Japan does not seem to be in a software buying mood for consoles

600k first week would be an insane number, that is why I want it muhahahaha

Top Bottom