• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 19, 2015 (May 4 - May 10)

duckroll

As I just said, an X drop was inevitable given that it sold through 70% of it's first shipment week 1, unless they shipped more immediately afterwards

You realize this doesn't mean anything right? If there is retail demand, retailers will order more, and they will be restocked. This isn't a cart game which could have manufacturing issues when undershipped. It also wasn't undershipped. Shipment numbers are merely an indication of demand.

You realize this doesn't mean anything right? If there is retail demand, retailers will order more, and they will be restocked. This isn't a cart game which could have manufacturing issues when undershipped. It also wasn't undershipped. Shipment numbers are merely an indication of demand.

I mean that's true, but how fast would it take to restock? Especially over a holiday like goldenweek?

5 Wii U games in the top 20 (when does that happen?). Yet little effect on hardware. This is why Nintendo needs to focus on the west, and I think Splatoon will be a hit in the west that they need. Of course, it will bomb in Japan just like everything on the Wii U does besides Smash and Mario Kart.

duckroll

Look on the bright side guys, the Xbox One outsold Bayonetta 2. That's not too bad right? Given the circumstances...

Look on the bright side guys, the Xbox One outsold Bayonetta 2. That's not too bad right? Given the circumstances...

See, I feel like I'm being made fun of, but the thing is that by no metric is the Xbox one doing well, whereas Xenoblade X is still doing better than I feel anyone could reasonably expect.

Busaiku

07./13. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.937) - 8.557 / 2.618.841
10./15. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.12.13} (¥4.968) - 6.163 / 2.603.483
RIP in pieces Level 5.

DrWong

All things considered, I think Xbox One is selling really well in Japan given the circumstances.

All things considered, it's not a good parody as Xbox Only One is doing 10x worst this generation when Xeno X will do, at worst, 70% of the previous entry.

All things considered, it's a backward point to have: everything is doing worst than last gen', even more on Wii U.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
See, I feel like I'm being made fun of, but the thing is that by no metric is the Xbox one doing well, whereas Xenoblade X is still doing better than I feel anyone could reasonably expect.

Really?

It's performing like an Xbox 360 JRPG last gen (and not even like the best performing ones) and the Wii U has a 2.3 million userbase.

The system is certainly a limiter, but it's not a font of sheer anathema.

All things considered, it's not a good parody as Xbox Only One is doing 10x worst this generation when Xeno X will do, at worst, 70% of the previous entry.

All things considered, it's a backward point to have: everything is doing worst than last gen', even more on Wii U.
Exactly. Xeno X is doing really well for pretty much any console game in Japan, let along a barely established IP on the Wii U. Success is very much relative.

duckroll

I definitely do not feel that there is any case for the game doing better than anyone can reasonably expect. At best it's doing exactly what any reasonable person expects.

Really?

It's performing like an Xbox 360 JRPG last gen (and not even like the best performing ones) and the Wii U has a 2.3 million userbase.

The system is certainly a limiter, but it's not a font of sheer anathema.

The Japanese market is doing much, much worse in general though compared to the beginning of the xbox 360. Nothing is selling gangbusters there right now, except for an incredibly small amount of games from gigantic IPs

Jamix012

I keep seeing weeks of decent selling software for the Wii U. Well...decent as far as the Wii U goes, but the hardware never seems to go up. The attach rate must be getting pretty ok at this point at least?

I definitely do not feel that there is any case for the game doing better than anyone can reasonably expect. At best it's doing exactly what any reasonable person expects.
It's doing a fair bit better than the original xenoblade did on a console with a fraction of the userbase in a market that is less favorable than ever to console games

Vamphuntr

Xenoblade Wii U is behaving like ToV 360. That can't be good.

Code:
2008-08-04	101,272	101,272
2008-08-11	18,904	120,176
2008-08-18	8,028	128,204

crinale

I'm actually thinking Xeno X's performance isn't that bad, so I'm with you on that one (only thing I won't say is it performed well).
I think Nintendo didn't expect Xeno X to sell much from the first place. This is because Wii version had rather huge ad (and had celebs advertising the thing on TV), while this time they didn't do TV ads much..

In this regard Xeno X's performance lines up with what Nintendo expected IMHO, and same goes to XB1 sales expected by Microsoft.

Code:
2008-08-18	8,028	128,204

Tales of is a well established franchise though, and the Japanese market has gone even further away from consoles since that time

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Exactly. Xeno X is doing really well for pretty much any console game in Japan, let along a barely established IP on the Wii U. Success is very much relative.
The Japanese market is doing much, much worse in general though compared to the beginning of the xbox 360. Nothing is selling gangbusters there right now, except for an incredibly small amount of games from gigantic IPs
Here I grabbed a few recent console games with similar debuts. Two of them are even Western FPS games and one a new IP.

01./00. [PS4] Bloodborne # <RPG> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.26} (¥7.452) - 152.567 / NEW

03./00. [PS4] Battlefield: Hardline <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2015.03.19} (¥7.884) - 68.823 / NEW
07./00. [PS3] Battlefield: Hardline <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2015.03.19} (¥7.884) - 28.976 / NEW

02./00. [PS4] Destiny # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.09.11} (¥8.532) - 91.277 / NEW <74,87%>
03./00. [PS3] Destiny <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.09.11} (¥8.532) - 49.503 / NEW <87,37%>

I'm actually thinking Xeno X's performance isn't that bad, so I'm with you on that one (only thing I won't say is it performed well).
I think Nintendo didn't expect Xeno X to sell much from the first place. This is because Wii version had rather huge ad (and had celebs advertising the thing on TV), while this time they didn't do TV ads much..

In this regard Xeno X's performance lines up with what Nintendo expected IMHO, and same goes to XB1 sales.

Honestly, I expect that Xbone is doing worse than even MS expected, if only because I can't understand the justification for even releasing in Japan if that's the best they could do. Even late lifespan 360 did better.

Ridley327

Code:
2008-08-18	8,028	128,204

The JRPG audience is firmly on Sony platforms, outside of stalwarts like Dragon Quest. No matter how well received those games may be on other systems, they practically do not exist if they're not on a Playstation.

duckroll

It's doing a fair bit better than the original xenoblade did on a console with a fraction of the userbase in a market that is less favorable than ever to console games

Xenoblade:
Week 1: 82,952
Week 2: 20,810 / 103,762 (-75%)

Xenoblade X:
Week 1: 85,586
Week 2: 11,689 / 97,275 (-86%)

It is?

Console shooter in Japan?

What could go wrong!

COD BO2 - 540k
BF4 - 355k

Splatoon is just what the WiiU needs. Watch, this will be a break out hit, I just have this feeling it will be....oh btw breakout hit means 70-100k FW given the circumstances

okay I'll stop now ;___;

Here I grabbed a few recent console games with similar debuts. Two of them are even Western FPS games and one a new IP.

01./00. [PS4] Bloodborne # <RPG> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.26} (¥7.452) - 152.567 / NEW

03./00. [PS4] Battlefield: Hardline <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2015.03.19} (¥7.884) - 68.823 / NEW
07./00. [PS3] Battlefield: Hardline <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2015.03.19} (¥7.884) - 28.976 / NEW

02./00. [PS4] Destiny # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.09.11} (¥8.532) - 91.277 / NEW <74,87%>
03./00. [PS3] Destiny <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.09.11} (¥8.532) - 49.503 / NEW <87,37%>
Bloodborne didn't do that much better, and the souls franchise has had more games to establish a userbase. And as for the other two, Japan hasn't actively hated FPS for a while, and you're including sales on PS3 as well to make one of them do better (And remember that PS3 has a much larger userbase than Wii U and Ps4 combined)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Bloodborne didn't do that much better, and the souls franchise has had more games to establish a userbase. And as for the other two, Japan hasn't actively hated FPS for a while, and you're including sales on PS3 as well to make one of them do better (And remember that PS3 has a much larger userbase than Wii U and Ps4 combined)

Yeah feel free to look at just the PS4 numbers on those two if you like. You'll see that Destiny still had a higher debut.

Takao

Banned
I was going to make a quip about Xenoblade New 3DS catching up to X eventually but then I noticed the top 20 ends at 3k units. Eek.

Nibel

OK, so Wii U is back on earth again.

On earth?

5i5s8epjge.png

Top Bottom