• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 19, 2017 (May 08 - May 14)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
How can you be so sure when the chart update every hour? Are you saying that no niche game has never charted within the top 3 of the hourly chart on Amazon? Well, since there is no archive of it, i dont think it can be proven now either way. I'm pretty sure i've seen it at least. Shouldnt be too hard in certain cases, it could be a limited edition or something and if the orders in general of that one hour is low, i dont think it would take all that to get within the top 3 :) And with niche game, i was thinking of games that maybe can do 20k-30k.

This used to happen a couple of time for 360 games - but tbh i check quite often and i dont think it happened for the One outside of the launch....there also werent many exclusive One games to begin with that could chart highish even if its just for the initial announcement.

Doeant mean your general point is wrong though....but the XBO is probably a bad example.

test_account

XP-39C²
I don't see notice that Splatoon 2 bundle is a limited release.

When Splatoon Wii U bundle launched it was almost impossible to find a standalone Wii U and Nintendo made the bundle the standard SKU. It's not very different with stock situation this time and it will be a big change at strategy in Japan if they follow a similar model so early.

Because nothing like this has happened every time I check them all these years and if it has it's the exception not the rule.
I think you misunderstood in that case. This wasnt a comparison saying that this is normal. I said in another post that this is uncommon, same way that its uncommon to have that many SKUs and related items to a game :) The mention of limited edition was just to show which SKUs that sometimes chart high for niche games. My points was just that you cant really use Amazon's hourly chart to gauge how much something is going to sell in more specific, because even niche games sometimes charts high in these charts close after pre-orders have started.

This used to happen a couple of time for 360 games - but tbh i check quite often and i dont think it happened for the One outside of the launch....there also werent many exclusive One games to begin with that could chart highish even if its just for the initial announcement.

Doeant mean your general point is wrong though....but the XBO is probably a bad example.
Yeah, i didnt say that it happened often. I might be remembering wrong about Xbox One too, but i think i saw Halo 5 or Master Chief Collection within the top 3. But my point was just that i dont think that one can use this chart to gauge that it will sell more specific numbers (like at least 2 million).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Yeah, i didnt say that it happened often. I might be remembering wrong about Xbox One too, but i think i saw Halo 5 or Master Chief Collection within the top 3. But my point was just that i dont think that one can use this chart to gauge that it will sell more specific numbers (like at least 2 million).

Oh, no disagreement there.

goldage

Banned
as i said before, it is obvious nintendo is holding back some stock for game release weeks, since they're needed in those weeks more

either way, whether nintendo ships them now or later, they will get sold, all this overreaction is getting a little tiring

so why they just shipped 25k when usually they shipped 40k ?

those shortages are fake, same as happened with famicom mini
real shortages were during DSL time, the more nintendo shipped the more they sold; now they just make "fixed" shipments to keep the hype among the consumer cause the line-up is so modest that without those "shortages" the hype would have been already vanished
shortages "might" create a little artificial demand but to say without these shortages the hype would be gone is ridiculous

more consoles in more people's hands would only create more word of mouth because the system itself is appealing

MK8D is one game, with more games available that attach rate will fall. I hope I'm wrong, after all I'm a huge Zelda fan but imo it will be a surprise if BOTW broke a million in Japan. How many Zelda game had done that ?

Good point, but usually (3D) AAA single player games come just short of breaking a million in Japan and I fear BOTW might follow.

Again I hope I'm wrong but looking at the history of the franchise and the state of the Japanese market, I'm skeptic about it.
no zelda has been a system seller the way botw has been

1 million will happen, only a matter of time

Perhaps the 10m forecast isn't just them being conservative. Maybe they know it's going to take several months for the increased production to show up on store shelves? Doubling production isn't instant, after all. If supply is going to be constrained longer than we expected, like past July, 10-13m might not be that far off.

The report stated that their plan was to produce 16 million units in FY17, meaning from April 2017 to the end of March 2018. If this is true, that would already account for the inherent delay involved in increasing production to being able to ship those new units, right?

There's also an inherent delay between production and the ability to ship in general, so while they may be producing 16 million this FY, they might only be able to ship 13-15m like you said. But the bottom line is, if they are planning to produce 16 million in the stated time period, they will undoubtedly have accounted for the time necessary to ramp up production.

I hope we see the effects of this increased production by July because that Splatoon 2 bundle is going to fly.

Salvadora

That Splatoon bundle is going to send Switch into the stratosphere.

Very smart to pair the release with new accessories and coloured Joy-Cons too.

Serious bank is going to be made there if they have a handle on the stock situation.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I have seriously never seen anything like that.
Splatoon is heading to be this generation's Monster Hunter. Since it's at the phase it goes from a million to a multimillion seller initial interest is very high.

If Switch is close to 1,5m by the time Splatoon 2 launches we could see a 1m opening, after all it's the game every Switch owner in Japan waits.

antibolo

Banned
I'm genuinely surprised that Nintendo is doing a bundle so soon considering how they still can't meet demand for the hardware.

I'm genuinely surprised that Nintendo is doing a bundle so soon considering how they still can't meet demand for the hardware.

Hopefully the bundle is a sign that we'll start seeing a lot more units shipped. It could certainly take 5 months for them to really ramp up production and start shipping double the units.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
That Nintendo has supposedly doubled Switch production for Fiscal Year doesn't mean it goes from one to two immediately. The peak will be close to holidays where the big shipments are heading. It's more likely weekly shipments will see a rise closer to 50% than 100% with additional stock for big releases.

That Nintendo has supposedly doubled Switch production for Fiscal Year doesn't mean it goes from one to two immediately. The peak will be close to holidays where the big shipments are heading. It's more likely weekly shipments will see a rise closer to 50% than 100% with additional stock for big releases.

Yeah that makes sense. I'd expect the three peaks this year (globally) to be March, July for Splatoon and the holiday season, with the latter being the largest.

Holy crap. I guess they really like the game.

Weren't we laughing at Nintendo freaking about how it could make a shooter game a few years ago?

I think the quote was from Reggie saying they wanted Splatoon to be the Mario Kart of shooters or something, and he was ridiculed for that. Well, it turns out he was probably right.

Splatoon is heading to be this generation's Monster Hunter. Since it's at the phase it goes from a million to a multimillion seller initial interest is very high.

If Switch is close to 1,5m by the time Splatoon 2 launches we could see a 1m opening, after all it's the game everyone in Japan waits.

Fixed. :p

goldage

Banned

If Switch is close to 1,5m by the time Splatoon 2 launches we could see a 1m opening, after all it's the game every Switch owner in Japan waits.
switch will be closer to a mil than 1.5m by the time splatoon launches going by how they're managing stock

even with 1.5m sold, i dont think splatoon will open at 1m, attach rates would be insane if that happened

i suppose a big restock during the week it launches can help make that happen

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Even with only 30k shipments from now until the week before Splatoon 2, Switch will be at 1,2m+. How exactly will it be closer to 1m than 1,5m when Splatoon 2 comes out?

goldage

Banned
Even with only 30k shipments from now until the week before Splatoon 2, Switch will be at 1,2m+. How exactly will it be closer to 1m than 1,5m when Splatoon 2 comes out?
technically 1.2m is still closer to 1m but ok

main point though is that even with 1.5m splatoon will need an insane attach rate to sell 1m, mk8 and zelda has shown it is possible but even then splatoon would have to surpass those games in attach rates to achieve 1m fw

andthebeatgoeson

I think the quote was from Reggie saying they wanted Splatoon to be the Mario Kart of shooters or something, and he was ridiculed for that. Well, it turns out he was probably right.
I think it was Miyamoto and i remember the criticism surrounding his comments. Done people were incredulous that Nintendo could make a shooter and i think it dwelled on Nintendo believing they could make a better shooter.

This comment was about miyamoto not having enough time to make a shooter. But I thought there was a comment about how they wanted to make a shooter better.

http://www.zeldainformer.com/miyamoto-wants-to-make-an-fps/

I don't care about if Splatoon is better than ***. But it's something to remember. They say a lot and usually back it up, game wise.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
1,2m is estimating very low shipments and without Splatoon week. If you think Zelda and Mario Kart are at the same league Splatoon is right now we agree to disagree.

goldage

Banned
1,2m is estimating very low shipments and without Splatoon week. If you think Zelda and Mario Kart are at the same league Splatoon is right now we agree to disagree.
its sales will be limited by how many switch consoles is out not how big the property is

splatoon is obviously a tier above zelda/mk

Jigorath

Banned
What was the Destiny 2 stream supposed to confirm?

You mean from this?

60fps which clearly isn't happening.

Cross save which wasn't announced.

And optimization for another PS4 upgrade which, again, obviously isn't happening.

I think we can file this one under fake.

jnWake

I think it was Miyamoto and i remember the criticism surrounding his comments. Done people were incredulous that Nintendo could make a shooter and i think it dwelled on Nintendo believing they could make a better shooter.

This comment was about miyamoto not having enough time to make a shooter. But I thought there was a comment about how they wanted to make a shooter better.

http://www.zeldainformer.com/miyamoto-wants-to-make-an-fps/

I don't care about if Splatoon is better than ***. But it's something to remember. They say a lot and usually back it up, game wise.

People also mocked Aonuma a lot for the "see that mountain? you can go there" when talking about Breath of the Wild.

L~A

Aren't the joycon colors just the red and blue ones with the pink and green ones not releasing until Autumn. Maybe for Smash Bros they will release a purple and orange joycon similar shades to the GameCube.

It's only Europe that gets the Neon Green/Pink colour in Autumn (no idea about NA since nothing was announced at all regarding the Splatoon 2 accessories/bundle).

They're also releasing them separately from the bundle on July 21st in Japan.

And as hiska-kun pointed out, the bundle is different from the EU bundle: it has the Neon Green/Pink Joy-Cons (and a physical copy unlike EU and its digital-only bundle, he he).

And that's without taking ARMS into account. Nintendo clearly wants the game to succeed (and they even announced a Global Testfire Testpunch, finally), so it's safe to assume they won't just ship 20-30k for that week. Probably something closer to 50-60k for launch week (maybe not 75k like MK8D, unless production has ramped up quickly enough).

noshten

Arms still not gaining any traction on COMG, doing a bit better on Amazon after the direct. I'm still unsure where it would end up in Japan - I think the demo might help a lot. Still it is a bit more difficult for me to grasp how popular the game will be in Japan. I think it will do well once summer vacation and December roll in - so I'm not entirely pessimistic about Arms chances to be a million seller for the Switch in Japan this year.

Splatoon 2 is probably going to be at 400 points by the end of the weekend on COMG, despite pre-orders being open for a while on COMG there were 21 new ones today.
DQXI on PS4 closing in on the 3DS version. Combined both versions lead Splatoon 2 by 100 points:

Splatoon 2 - 380
DQXI 3DS - 246
DQXI PS4 - 241

I'm feeling pretty good about the discussion we had a few weeks ago about Splatoon 2 outselling both versions combined total by the end of the year.

Sterok

When did Splatoon's pre-orders take off, after the Direct or the Testfires? The Testpunches are definitely the best time for interest to rise now.

goldage

Banned
How much do you expect Splatoon 2 to sell LTD in Japan?
4m minimum

whether it sells 5m+ or not depends on when a sequel comes out, it is probably going to be this generation's biggest seller either way, i don't see anything topping it other than AC and DQXI or some new ip becomes a mega hit the way splatoon did

Shizuka

27./22. [PSV] Dungeon Travelers 2-2: The Maiden Who Fell into Darkness and the Book of Beginnings # <RPG> (Aqua Plus) {2017.04.20} (¥5.800) - 1.436 / 40.186 <80-100%> (-48%)

That's good for a Vita exclusive five (six?) years into its life.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21./20. [PSV] Dungeon Travelers 2-2: The Maiden Who Fell into Darkness and the Book of Beginnings # <RPG> (Aqua Plus) {2017.04.20} (¥5.800)
22./18. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition # <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.400)
23./19. [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot <ACT> (Nintendo) {2016.04.28} (¥4.700)
24./28. [PS4] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 <SPT> (Konami) {2016.04.28} (¥7.980)
25./25. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn # <RPG> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2017.03.02} (¥6.900)
26./29. [WIU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2016.06.23} (¥3.600)
27./22. [NSW] Super Bomberman R <ACT> (Konami) {2017.03.03} (¥4.980)
28./27. [3DS] Miitopia <SLG> (Nintendo) {2016.12.08} (¥4.700)
29./36. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2017 [Konami the Best] <SPT> (Konami) {2017.04.13} (¥3.980)
30./30. [NSW] Dragon Quest Heroes I & II for Nintendo Switch <Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below \ Dragon Quest Heroes II> <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.03.03} (¥8.800)
31./24. [3DS] Cube Creator DX <ADV> (Arc System Works) {2017.04.27} (¥2.800)
32./35. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.11.29} (¥8.800)
33./26. [3DS] Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.01.19} (¥4.700)
34./34. [NSW] Puyo Puyo Tetris <PZL> (Sega) {2017.03.03} (¥4.990)
35./38. [PSV] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 <SPT> (Konami) {2016.04.28} (¥6.980)
36./39. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.12.03} (¥2.400)
37./00. [PSV] Owaru Sekai to Birthday # <ADV> (Entergram) {2017.05.11} (¥4.980)
38./31. [PS4] PaRappa the Rapper Remastered <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2017.04.20} (¥1.800)
39./32. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Mura o Tsukurundesu <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2016.07.21} (¥4.800)
40./33. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 ReMIX <Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 ReMIX <Kingdom Hearts \ Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories> \ Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX <Kingdom Hearts II \ Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+ \ Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep>> <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.03.09} (¥6.800)
41./41. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 # <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥5.700)
42./00. [PSV] Starry Sky: Summer Stories <ADV> (Honeybee) {2017.05.11} (¥5.800)
43./50. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.11.06} (¥7.900)
44./44. [PS4] Resident Evil 7: biohazard # <ADV> (Capcom) {2017.01.26} (¥7.990)
45./37. [3DS] Kawaii Pet to Kurasou! Wan Nyan & Mini Mini Animal <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2017.04.06} (¥4.800)
46./48. [WIU] Splatoon # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥5.700)
47./40. [NSW] Minna de Wai Wai! Spelunker <ACT> (Square Enix) {2017.04.20} (¥4.980)
48./43. [PS4] LEGO Worlds <ADV> (Warner Entertainment Japan) {2017.04.06} (¥2.980)
49./47. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.09.13} (¥5.200)
50./00. [PS4] The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition <The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt \ The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Hearts of Stone \ The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine> <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft) {2016.09.01} (¥6.480)

Top 50

3DS - 18
PS4 - 16
NSW - 7
PSV - 5
WIU - 4

SOFTWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+
|System |  This Week |  Last Week |  Last Year |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    233.000 |    471.000 |    347.000 | 10.844.000 | 10.983.000 |

L~A

Nintendo eShop Sales: Week 19, 2017 (May 08 - May 14)

Nintendo 3DS

(=) 01. The Battle Cats POP (Ponos) [31.5.2015]
(+1) 02. Monster Hunter XX (Capcom) [18.3.2017]
(-1) 03. Cube Creator DX (Arc System Works) [27.4.2017]
(=) 04. Ice Station Z (Wobbly Tooth) [06.4.2017]
(=) 05. Neko Atsume (Hit Point) [26.4.2017]
(+1) 06. Kirby Fighters Deluxe (Nintendo) [23.7.2014]
(N) 07 Neko Neko Nipponshi: Rekishi Hakken Puzzle (FuRyu) [10.5.2017]
(B) 08. Alphadia (Kemco) [09.12.2015] (was on sale that week)
(B) 09. Legna Tactica (Kemco) [21.12.2016] (was on sale that week)
(B) 10. Bye-Bye! Box-Boy (Nintendo) [02.2.2017]

Wii U

(=) 01. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo) [03.3.2017]
(+1) 02. Minecraft: Wii U Edition (Microsoft) [17.12.2015]
(-1) 03. Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo) [29.5.2014]
(=) 04. Kirby Super Star (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [01.5.2013]
(=) 05. Splatoon (Nintendo) [28.5.2015]
(+1) 06. Super Mario World (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [27.4.2013]
(+1) 07. Bomberman '94 (Konami, Virtual Console) [19.11.2014]
(B) 08. PixelMaker (Rainy Frog) [19.4.2017]
(B) 09. Super Mario 64 (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [08.4.2015]
(B) 10. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Nintendo) [06.12.2014]

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/b822e066-3936-11e7-8f53-063b7ac45a6d.html

LOCK

SOFTWARE
Code:
|System |  This Week |  Last Week |  Last Year |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    233.000 |    471.000 |    347.000 | 10.844.000 | 10.983.000 |

Is this the lowest week we know of for software? Wow. I know 2015 was low but this is still shocking.

hiska-kun

First Day Sell-through {2017.05.18}

[PS4] Danganronpa 1 + 2 Reload <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥3.800) - 20%

[PS4] Prey <ADV> (Bethesda Softworks) (¥7.980) - 30%

____

This week won't be better, the only hope is if Switch's shipments increase.

ggx2ac

Roughly one more month until the end of Spring and I've still heard nothing about the mobile version of Everybody's Golf.

Again, Forwardworks lists a scheduled date of Spring 2017 but it still hasn't changed to an exact date.

Delay incoming?

Passose

Banned

____

bombaronpa :p

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

____

I suppose there are no early tidbits on the upcoming shipment's size, are they? IIRC, it's slated for tomorrow.

zeromcd73

Went to a small Joshin yesterday about 2 hours after the Splatoon Switch bundle went live. They said they were still taking orders, but would definitely sell out by the end of the day. And today went to the massive Yodobashi in the city where the Splatoon bundle was already sold out. Regular Switch units of course didn't exist as usual ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Arzehn

I guess this is a clear indication without knowing how the series sales in japan, that vita fans are not the same as ps4 fans

Or... they are in fact the same fans because they have already purchased the game on the Vita.

Then again we're talking about sellthrough.

casiopao

Roughly one more month until the end of Spring and I've still heard nothing about the mobile version of Everybody's Golf.

Again, Forwardworks lists a scheduled date of Spring 2017 but it still hasn't changed to an exact date.

Delay incoming?

Sony mobile team is as competent as l-5 there lol.

saichi

I'm feeling pretty good about the discussion we had a few weeks ago about Splatoon 2 outselling both versions combined total by the end of the year.

Good luck with that. Even if DQXI only sells 3 millions (which would be low end of recent series numbers), Splatoon 2 would need insane attach rate to outsell it since Switch is likely sell 4-5 mil this year in Japan.

Top Bottom