• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 19, 2017 (May 08 - May 14)

BriBri

This list is only Nintendo platforms right? The all platform list would look different.
Yeah, it's copied and pasted from my blog. I play by the 80's Vince McMahon rules and pretend the opposition doesn't exist;-)

Edit 1: only just found time to look at the full numbers - Vita is scary low. Is there any 100,000+ sellers left? 3DS should be fine for the rest of the year with Dragon Quest and I assume a new Pokémon title.

Edit 2: I can see Gunvolt being the worst selling JP Switch retail game to date.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
But it was also a console that people didn't really buy games for unless it had the word Mario in it.

I remember how badly Wind Waker, Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 did on first week in Japan.

Are you sure you do? Pikmin 3 had one of the better openings on Wii U. It opened at 102K and eventually sold about 232K. The opening was similar to Pikmin 1 (lower than 2), but the legs were cut severely short by being on Wii U. Wonderful 101 just flopped worse than Gaist Crusher, and WWHD was the worst selling Zelda entry ever (TP on GameCube only sold through the Nintendo store sold more lol). Pikmin 3 isn't in the same league at all as W101 & WWHD...

NGC Pikmin 101.299 502.996 Nintendo 10/26/2001
NGC Pikmin 2 161.930 483.027 Nintendo 4/29/2004
WIU Pikmin 3 102.188 232.313 Nintendo 7/13/2013

WIU The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD 31.154 66.445 Nintendo 9/26/2013

WIU The Wonderful 101 6.663 27.028 Nintendo 8/24/2013 (it honestly fell out of the charts at 10K sales, so it must have sold a decent bit behind the scenes at low prices or something).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, it's copied and pasted from my blog. I play by the 80's Vince McMahon rules and pretend the opposition doesn't exist;-)

Edit 1: only just found time to look at the full numbers - Vita is scary low. Is there any 100,000+ sellers left? 3DS should be fine for the rest of the year with Dragon Quest and I assume a new Pokémon title.

Edit 2: I can see Gunvolt being the worst selling JP Switch retail game to date.

It'll be a good fight with the ROTKXIII + PUK port that came out on March 30th :p

Calm Mind

I Am Setsuna would like a word.

ggx2ac

Are you sure you do? Pikmin 3 had one of the better openings on Wii U. It opened at 102K and eventually sold about 232K. The opening was similar to Pikmin 1 (lower than 2), but the legs were cut severely short by being on Wii U. Wonderful 101 just flopped worse than Gaist Crusher, and WWHD was the worst selling Zelda entry ever (TP on GameCube only sold through the Nintendo store sold more lol). Pikmin 3 isn't in the same league at all as W101 & WWHD...

NGC Pikmin 101.299 502.996 Nintendo 10/26/2001
NGC Pikmin 2 161.930 483.027 Nintendo 4/29/2004
WIU Pikmin 3 102.188 232.313 Nintendo 7/13/2013

WIU The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD 31.154 66.445 Nintendo 9/26/2013

WIU The Wonderful 101 6.663 27.028 Nintendo 8/24/2013 (it honestly fell out of the charts at 10K sales, so it must have sold a decent bit behind the scenes at low prices or something).

So it did only as good as the first Pikmin with half the LTD and worse than the second.

It was better off releasing on the Wii like they originally planned to.

So basically your point was that it wasn't disastrous but it is still the worst ever selling Pikmin in the series that released after a long software drought on the Wii U.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
So it did only as good as the first Pikmin with half the LTD and worse than the second.

It was better off releasing on the Wii like they originally planned to.

So basically your point was that it wasn't disastrous but it is still the worst ever selling Pikmin in the series that released after a long software drought on the Wii U.

Pretty much. Apart from Splatoon and maybe Mario Maker, pretty much everything on Wii U was a disappointment/disaster because the Wii U was a totally bungled product. I'm just saying relatively speaking Pikmin 3 was a disappointment, whereas WWHD & Wonderful 101 were disasters sales-wise in Japan. While both are bad, they are at very different levels.

Looking at how well stuff like Bomberman and 1-2 Switch are selling, i have a hard time seeing any Nintendo game selling less than 300k on the Switch right now.

Are bundled sales of games tracked as well? Like when Media Create reports Splatoon 2 first week sales, will the bundled copies count towards its sales or be excluded?

fahr

Everyone expecting gunvolt to sell astronomically poorly make me soooo sad.

Sad that fun, stylish old school platformers are completely out of favor in the country that perfected them. Not to mention everywhere else.

And anyone that does buy them are likely over the age of 30.

Soon megaman and it's ilk will fade into obscurity, never to be heard from again, except upon the mouths of the elderly in their nursing homes.

Oregano

Vita might have God Eater 3.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Gunvolt will surely sell better than the Yakuza Wii U port.

And Wonderful 101

At retail? That's not guaranteed. It'll probably be more profitable though.

3DS Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack 8.096 8.096 Inti Creates 8/25/2016
WIU Yakuza 1 & 2 HD for Wii U 7.753 SEGA 8/8/2013
WIU The Wonderful 101 6.663 27.028 Nintendo 8/24/2013

How well has the punch-out series done in Japan?

WII Punch-Out!! 5.582 24.151 Nintendo 7/23/2009

SalvaPot

At retail? That's not guaranteed. It'll probably be more profitable though.

3DS Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack 8.096 8.096 Inti Creates 8/25/2016
WIU Yakuza 1 & 2 HD for Wii U 7.753 SEGA 8/8/2013
WIU The Wonderful 101 6.663 27.028 Nintendo 8/24/2013

WII Punch-Out!! 5.582 24.151 Nintendo 7/23/2009
...it sold less tha W101 in Japan? Damn.

Good thing the west loved it.

Thanks.

Mory Dunz

What if the game sold like 5 million plus in the west? Whilst I'm sure they would be expecting more than 200K in Japan I think they probably have more expectations WW considering the genre.

Well yeah, but we were talking about Japan. And they will at least care some about it's performance there.
I think it will do a good amount better in the west personally. I see 1+ million in NPD LTD alone.

This should be a thing, dammit. I fear that with ARMS coming they wouldn't do it, at least for quite a while :(

Given the extra characters, the game not existing is still one of the weirder things this generation.

If Pokken Switch really isn't coming, then give the Wii U owners the characters in DLC. Like, wtf? That's bad form for a console exclusive imo. Really bad.

duckroll

Everyone expecting gunvolt to sell astronomically poorly make me soooo sad.

Sad that fun, stylish old school platformers are completely out of favor in the country that perfected them. Not to mention everywhere else.

And anyone that does buy them are likely over the age of 30.

Soon megaman and it's ilk will fade into obscurity, never to be heard from again, except upon the mouths of the elderly in their nursing homes.

Oh please quit the drama nonsense. What you described is not Gunvolt. It's Shovel Knight. And Shovel Knight sells fine. Gunvolt is not a "fun, stylish old school platformer" but a boring trashy speedrunning game filled with annoying populist pandering the represents all the turn offs of modern Japanese entertainment. It deserves the lack of interest it sees because it's an artificial and insincere promise of being an "oldschool" game. It's nothing like Megaman or Megaman Zero. It's just some new otaku animu garbage game Inti-Creates made and tried to sell to the Megaman audience. I honestly feel it's no better than Gal Gun.

Passose

Banned
Oh please quit the drama nonsense. What you described is not Gunvolt. It's Shovel Knight. And Shovel Knight sells fine. Gunvolt is not a "fun, stylish old school platformer" but a boring trashy speedrunning game filled with annoying populist pandering the represents all the turn offs of modern Japanese entertainment. It deserves the lack of interest it sees because it's an artificial and insincere promise of being an "oldschool" game. It's nothing like Megaman or Megaman Zero. It's just some new otaku animu garbage game Inti-Creates made and tried to sell to the Megaman audience. I honestly feel it's no better than Gal Gun.
Gunvolt isn't that bad in my opinion

Calm Mind

Oww right in the feels.

If Pokken Switch really isn't coming, then give the Wii U owners the characters in DLC. Like, wtf? That's bad form for a console exclusive imo. Really bad.
I can only speculate, but I'm guessing that arcade operators got some timed exclusivity deal on the extra characters. Namco do this kind of thing a lot with their arcade games.

I'm going to call Pokken Switch and/or DLC for Wii U for end of July, 12 months from Darkrai's arcade release.

Kanann

Beside of edgy animu cringe trip, Gunvolt is a really good game.

We, 2D side scrolling fans need like 10 more Shovel Knight and 20 more Gunvolt in the market.

Eolz

Lol at that Vita successor rumor coming up once again!

On Pokken topic, I could an enhanced port or a sequel happening next year. I think it mostly depends on Namco being free (they just delayed AC7 and are probably working on a Smash 4 enhanced port), and Nintendo already got a game per month up until this fall, + probably two big WiiU ports already. If there was one coming this year, they would have announced it for the pokken tournaments this summer imo.

ggx2ac

Random thought:

Is Twintelle going to be more popular than Rosalina?

That's the last Nintendo character aside from Inkling Girl that I could think of that became popular among the fandom. She ended up being featured in Mario Kart 7 and 8 and Smash Bros for 3DS/Wii U as a playable character even though it's a character Miyamoto didn't like but had to deal with it since he couldn't ignore her popularity.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Random thought:

That's the last Nintendo character aside from Inkling Girl that I could think of that became popular among the fandom. She ended up being featured in Mario Kart 7 and 8 as a playable character even though it's a character Miyamoto didn't like but had to deal with it since he couldn't ignore her popularity.

Depends entirely how popular arms is. If it bombs there not going to give a shit about her popularity within the game and at most she'll make tertiary level cameos.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Just like Samus.

Samus was at least "popular" at a time and is old in enough to considered part of the core group of Nintendo characters. Arms would have to do Splatoon ballpark level to see herself in Smash brothers etc and even then she's not the face of the franchise and thus could be shafted like Tharja (though she's more P.G friendly than tharja is).

Eolz

Random thought:

That's the last Nintendo character aside from Inkling Girl that I could think of that became popular among the fandom. She ended up being featured in Mario Kart 7 and 8 and Smash Bros for 3DS/Wii U as a playable character even though it's a character Miyamoto didn't like but had to deal with it since he couldn't ignore her popularity.

I don't think so.
Rosalina came from Mario, was a good excuse to push another princess (Daisy was never popular) and was pushed as an important part of Mario Galaxy.

For Twintelle, while she gets more fanart than other Arms characters (for obvious reasons...), the game still has to show what it's capable of, and Nintendo has already chosen mascots for it.
Maybe she'll be pushed later on, but there's no reason to believe she'll become as popular as a Mario character. Nor a Splatoon one.

Passose

Banned
Random thought:

Twintelle for Smash pls

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I don't think so.
Rosalina came from Mario, was a good excuse to push another princess (Daisy was never popular) and was pushed as an important part of Mario Galaxy.

For Twintelle, while she gets more fanart than other Arms characters (for obvious reasons...), the game still has to show what it's capable of, and Nintendo has already chosen mascots for it.
Maybe she'll be pushed later on, but there's no reason to believe she'll become as popular as a Mario character. Nor a Splatoon one.

TBF though it's not like she just gets more fanart the youtube views for her videos are a substantial amount higher then everyone elses same with everything else (twitter likes retreets news articles etc. She could very well be the Lucina of her franchise but her fate is tied with the game. I do feel like her or minmin could usurp's ribbon's place going forward if it succeeds though. Ribbon girl is dead last female wise in almsot all metrics and seems a prime Chrom candidate.

ggx2ac

I don't think so.

Au contraire, Rosalina was pushed in Mario Galaxy because of Koizumi since it was his creation but Miyamoto didn't like her taking the spotlight.

It was because of her popularity that she got put into games like Smash Bros and Mario Kart despite Miyamoto being a salty Pete.

Edit: http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/super-mario-3d-world/0/3

The following is from an Iwata's ask interview for Super Mario 3D World.

Koizumi
Um, you probably think it was me! (laughs) But Motokura-san came to me and said he wanted to put her in.

Iwata
Motokura-san, why Rosalina?

Motokura
I was thinking about what would be pleasing after the ending and wanted to bring in another female character in addition to Princess Peach. Rosalina has a following among the Super Mario Galaxy fanbase, and she's appeared in Mario Kart recently, so I think she's well known.

Miyamoto
When Super Mario Galaxy first came out, I was a little hung up on why Rosalina was showing up when Princess Peach was already there. I thought it was fine as long as it was only Super Mario Galaxy, and we made her design so she's a little bigger. But all of a sudden she was a regular character in Mario Kart as just a regular girl, even her size turned to normal.

Iwata
As they say, time solves all things.

Miyamoto
If I think about it now, I'm like, "What was I so hung up on?!" I guess I was still green. (laughs)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Au contraire, Rosalina was pushed in Mario Galaxy because of Koizumi since it was his creation but Miyamoto didn't like her taking the spotlight.

It was because of her popularity that she got put into games like Smash Bros and Mario Kart despite Miyamoto being a salty Pete.

It's pretty funny how low key his stay at Nintendo considering the dude litterally came up with the Z targetting for Zelda which has been used in action games ever since.

Edit: I'm trying to find the source for this quote, looks like it was from an Iwata's Ask:

Miyamoto

If I think about it now, I'm like, "What was I so hung up on?!" I guess I was still green. (laughs)

gHmcvz4.jpg

It was Miyamoto all along!

Top Bottom