• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 2, 2013 (Jan 07 - Jan 13)

Oersted

ivxqYpEZWpQZ6.gif

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
It's becoming abundantly clear that Nintendo's policy of not revealing future in production titles, no matter how extensive it is, is a complete failure.

Announce compelling software and move heaven and earth to get a robust schedule of games in the next few quarters, or Wii U is in huge trouble worldwide.

Forget announced, games needs to be here before the middle of the year.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Right now, we're looking at an almost DSlike dominatio hardware and software wise...with no Wii/PSP-like actors involved. So, it's even stronger compared to the others. This will probably bring a lot of third party big titles in 3DS in the next future.

Probably AC suffered too much from sold out this week...and still it didn't lose so much.

Nintendo needs to act fast on the terrible Wii U sales. Best move would be lots of good games. Announce them already! If there are any out there...

I wonder if Animal Crossing can cross the 3 million unit line. It seems very likely as long as it has long legs and sells well next holiday.

Wii U slowly falling to the wayside even in Japan.

Dystify

When did that happen?

They announced Pokemon X&Y for 3DS. And that's coming in october.

I don't actually believe there is an announcement policy. If Nintendo wanted to announce something, they would. No one's stopping them (except that there might not be any games to announce).

GAF in everything or nothing mode.

Numbers aren't good for the Wii U, but Nintendo holds 70% of the japanese market.

They'll take actions for the system.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Wii U is in trouble. I wonder if the Wii U is a miscalculation on Nintendo's part or just further proof that Japan is becoming a portable only (3ds only really) gaming country.
Miscalculation. As far back as last E3, it was clear that the stage was set for a clusterfuck.

watershed

Banned
I guess when PS4 launches that will be the test.

Either that or when Nintendo decides to let us know what games are coming out for it. That'd be nice...

True PS4 launch will be interesting. I think the Wii U is just bad hardware in terms of providing what consumers what. Its a current gen console with one hook that isn't very novel. Its not selling now and aside from the possibility of great games in the future, I don't see anything "future proof" about it either.

Kacho

"I don't think there's much point comparing the weekly numbers to the Wii, or the weekly numbers themselves. Worrying and rejoicing each week is something we can't avoid. On the subject of the reaction to the Wii U, there are still things we must do, things we must overcome. That's what we're waiting on."

Do those things, Iwata.

liger05

No retail wii u games is one thing but knowing this the eshop should be filled with content and be getting new content weekly to help fill the gap.

Its crazy to see such little content on there.

Hasney

I know this sentiment gets brought up in all the threads I've witnessed while I've been lurking and awaiting activation, but I really hope we do get some ambassador things out of this. It will make the Wii U the luckiest purchased console ever for me.

1) Got the deluxe pre-ordered for £200

2) Amazon didn't have Nintendo Land in the box, so got a digital code which added to my digital deluxe promotion too, so I got an extra £50 purchase that I never made to add to those sweet sweet vouchers

3) Nice selection of retro ambassador games maybe?

PaulLFC

Idiot question - from looking at this week and last week's numbers, it seems Famitsu have higher numbers for Nintendo consoles and handhelds than Media Create do (by quite some way with 3DS), and Media Create have higher numbers for PS3/Vita than Famitsu do. I'm not sure if that's usually the case in other weeks, but why is that? Is it because they sample different numbers of retailers, or different locations or something?

Numbers aren't good for the Wii U, but Nintendo holds 70% of the japanese market.

Lots of people are praising the 3DS' performance in software and hardware. Everyone is aware that it curb stomps the competition. Anyone criticizing Nintendo is doing it via the Wii U which is doing actually not doing so hot. It's not black and white like you seem to think.

:/

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
What's the next major Wii U title coming out?

I imagine Vita might get a pretty small boost soon with PSO2 and Soul Sacrifice coming out.

3DS data is just the stuff that is in the OP, no point in just repeating it again. For simplicity sake, all handheld number will not include DS in 2012. Shouldn't really matter as we go further along, amounted to a non relevant % of total sales last year.

PSP+PSV(2012 YTD)=154,847
PSP+PSV(2013 YTD)=116,339(-24.9%)

Looking ahead to week 3, PSP+PSV did 32,400 in 2012.
Looking ahead to week 3, 3DS did 80,960 in 2012.

All Handhelds(2012 YTD)=496,334
All Handhelds(2013 YTD)=488,259(-1.6%)

Nintendo needs to act fast on the terrible Wii U sales. Best move would be lots of good games. Announce them already! If there are any out there...

I don't know if they even can. I don't see Sales pick up before the second half of this year. The release schedule is barren, and unless they've been sitting on a huge pile of unannounced games ready to go (hint, they aren't) nothing will change.

The WiiU is destined to share the Vitas fate for the foreseeable future in 2013.

EDarkness

I don't actually believe there is an announcement policy. If Nintendo wanted to announce something, they would. No one's stopping them (except that there might not be any games to announce).

This may be potentially the problem. My feeling is that they couldn't get enough companies to jump on board and the ones who did jumped on late so they're gonna be in a bad place until content gets finished. The lack of hype in the dev community seems to suggest they just can't get companies to be bothered with the Wii U.

Bruno MB

Is sticker star the best selling paper mario there?

It'll probably need 4 more weeks.

Paper Mario series:

[N64] Paper Mario (Nintendo) {2000.08.11} - 118.322 / 425.609
[GCN] Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (Nintendo) {2004.07.22} - 137.750 / 398.218
[Wii] Super Paper Mario (Nintendo) {2007.04.19} - 156.055 / 505.491
[3DS] Paper Mario: Sticker Star (Nintendo) {2012.12.06} - 130.009 / 464.432

Anth0ny

It's becoming abundantly clear that Nintendo's policy of not revealing future in production titles, no matter how extensive it is, is a complete failure.

Announce compelling software and move heaven and earth to get a robust schedule of games in the next few quarters, or Wii U is in huge trouble worldwide.

Thank fucking god.

Who's idea was it to begin this policy? And to use bi-monthy Nintendo Directs to do nothing but remind us that these same 10 or so titles exist, and will be available soon?

Ridiculous. The Wii sure as hell got away with revealing games that were more than a year away. I know people who pre-ordered a unit as soon as they saw that Brawl trailer in 2006.

The handheld market basically.

Not that this is bad, Japan is becoming Handheld land.
No, the market.

Handheld market = probably 90%

Lots of people are praising the 3DS' performance in software and hardware. Everyone is aware that it curb stomps the competition. Anyone criticizing Nintendo is doing it via the Wii U which is doing bad.

:/
That's what I wrote in the second part of my post:

"(...)

They'll take actions for the system."

orioto

Good Art™

That's also in part cause of their portable domination that there isn't any room for a nintendo home console in Japan. Their demographic market has all it needs with a 3ds.

Nibel

I love my Wii U, but damn

Wii U is fucked right now - they need to act quick; I expect a ND sooner than usual. Can't wait for all sensationalist headlines that will appear in the next 24 hours!

#BelieveInIwata

liger05

I wonder what Japanese third parties are on board and who is sitting on the fence waiting to see what happens with sales?

God damn 3DS. Amazing sales week after week. I wonder at what price I will finally impulse buy one of these. Any rumors on hardware redesign yet?

True PS4 launch will be interesting. I think the Wii U is just bad hardware in terms of providing what consumers what. Its a current gen console with one hook that isn't very novel. Its not selling now and aside from the possibility of great games in the future, I don't see anything "future proof" about it either.

I still think the big struggling point for console sales in Japan is that all the major franchises are mainly handheld, or sell best on handhelds.

Monster Hunter
Pokemon
Animal Crossing
Mario
Dragon Quest

I mean Sony is going to have to tie up one of the big franchises in order to get PS4 off the ground in Japan. Either that or hope maybe Final Fantasy returns to its previous glory.

It's going to be an uphill fight for them I think.

Cheech

I welcome Japan's new 3DS overlord.

Hopefully things pick up for it outside Japan too.

I'm sure it will. As long as consoles succeed in at least one major territory, that ensures a stream of games and a decent life for the system.

That is the main issue with the Vita and Wii U, which are just dead everywhere. That said, I can still see myself buying a Wii U, once Nintendo puts some stuff out there my household wants. Yet another 2D Mario ain't gettin' er dun. Wii U is just way too young to eulogize yet. Nintendo will always bring the goods eventually.

The Vita, OTOH, Media Create might as well just stop bothering putting up numbers. It's dead, Jim.

Anth0ny

I love my Wii U, but damn

Wii U is fucked right now - they need to act quick; I expect a ND sooner than usual. Can't wait for all sensationalist headlines that will appear in the next 24 hours!

#BelieveInIwata

"Please look forward to Pikmin 3, coming Q2 2013"

"Please look forward to The Wonderful 101, coming Q2 2013"

"Please look forward to Wii Fit U. *Detailed information, release date and 20 minute video*"

Top Bottom