• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 2, 2013 (Jan 07 - Jan 13)

MrT-Tar

ivxqYpEZWpQZ6.gif

I actually lol'd, I really wish this was the first post

Nibel

"Please look forward to Pikmin 3, coming Q2 2013"

"Please look forward to The Wonderful 101, coming Q2 2013"

"Please look forward to Wii Fit U. *Detailed information, release date and 20 minute video*"

No more long ND videos about already announced titles please..

Open that fucking war chest and get some heavy hitters out there; make people care about Wii U and not just 3DS

CassSept

Oh hell. I thought it was all overreaction. WiiU seriously seemed to follow typical launch pattern but that right there is a disaster. Seriously this is really bad.

rockx4

I'm still surprised Nintendo is letting this happen, especially after their claim of "learning" from the 3DS launch.

LOCK

Next week should show just how much AC and NSMB2 are selling new systems.

As for the Wii U, the Nintendo silence is sort of puzzling.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
There lies the problem

But the thing is Nintendo announced games last year that were supposed to be out by this March that are decent to large selling titles, and there is absolute radio silence from Nintendo. It's like they decided what is the absolute worst job we can do to launch a console and said sounds great!

Whatever Nintendo does to try and fix this can't really fix Nintendo Land or NSMBU's situations, right? What was the LTD for NSMB Wii in Japan? I can't see the U version coming close to that at all.
That's what I wrote in the second part of my post:

"(...)

Numbers aren't good for the Wii U, but Nintendo holds 70% of the japanese market.

They'll take actions for the system."
I follow you now.
That's also in part cause of their portable domination that there isn't any room for a nintendo home console in Japan. Their demographic market has all it needs with a 3ds.
It's kind of ironic that so much went into the system for the sake of Japan specifically and they still aren't biting. Oh well, I'm sure some Smash, MKU and 3D Mario will alleviate this issue a bit.

BadWolf

Wonder if they will do an Ambassador thing for the WiiU, would be a pretty terrible pattern to set for their new systems.

I don't actually believe there is an announcement policy. If Nintendo wanted to announce something, they would. No one's stopping them (except that there might not be any games to announce).

You seriously don't think games on the distant horizon like 3D Mario or even a 3DS Zelda have enough to show even a vertical slice of gameplay to build hype? Nintendo has quite clearly changed its policy since 3DS and Wii launches; I believe Iwata's said as much.

Pokémon doesn't count in this discussion, BTW. The Pokémon Company has always handled the franchise differently to everything else in Nintendo's stable.

Cheech

Fuck them for this shit. Games should've been there at launch, not 6 months later. Fucking bullshit. Then we'd have even less in the upcoming months. Unbelievable.

They should've done that a lot earlier. E3 was a fucking disgrace. I still remember my meltdown.

Oh, come on. Weren't any of you guys around for the N64? All we had was like Mario 64 for the first YEAR. In hindsight, nobody is calling that console a failure. It ended up having some of the best games in the history of the medium.

Nibel

They should've done that a lot earlier. E3 was a fucking disgrace. I still remember my meltdown.

Yeah, a part inside me died that day - couldn't even think clear in university because of my meltdown

But you know what they say: HYPE or die

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
According to MC, Vita sold around 18.300 units in Week 2, 2012. So, Wii U is almost doing Vita numbers despite a 2D Mario at launch. Horrible.

watershed

Banned
I still think the big struggling point for console sales in Japan is that all the major franchises are mainly handheld, or sell best on handhelds.

Monster Hunter
Pokemon
Animal Crossing
Mario
Dragon Quest

I mean Sony is going to have to tie up one of the big franchises in order to get PS4 off the ground in Japan. Either that or hope maybe Final Fantasy returns to its previous glory.

It's going to be an uphill fight for them I think.

Yeah Japanese gamemakers have really steered themselves towards handheld dominance. I'm kind of hoping things continue this way for Nintendo and they will have to take some radical action and shake up the industry once again. Maybe going handheld only is that action with the 3ds' successor being something completely new, not just another twist on 2 screens with some new features added.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wasn't obvious to anyone. Hindsights 20/20.

I was very bullish on Wii U in Japan, but I also assumed that titles that were supposed to come by March would actually come by March.

orioto

Good Art™
I'm still surprised Nintendo is letting this happen, especially after their claim of "learning" from the 3DS launch.

That's pretty surprising indeed.
It seems they really weren't ready for that launch and forced the thing to keep that early start... It may hurt them more than it benefits them.

I also wonder, sometimes, if they just didn't pull a reverse sony, by actually dropping the ball on their console resources cause of the portable money they do.

According to MC, Vita sold around 18.300 units in Week 2, 2012. So, Wii U is almost doing Vita numbers despite a 2D Mario at launch. Horrible.

Handhelds sell more than consoles in Japan so the relative performance isn't quite as bad but the absolute numbers definitely don't look good right now.

I just don't get that Nintendo doesn't SEEM to invest in more games. Not just first party, they are pretty good at making enough first party games (especially since they have both Wii U and 3DS to support), but I don't know, buy a few more second party studios, and invest in partnerships with 3rd parties. Hell, even buy some exclusive third party games here and there.

Point is, they should've done this last year and the year before, to ensure Wii U had a solid first year of software. To get the ball rolling.

I'm a HUGE Nintendo fan and proud owner of a Wii U but to be honest I can understand the lack of enthousiasm 3rd parties have. I mean, what's the point? Your game is going to sell tons more on X360 and PS3 anyway, and if you make a next gen game it's probably too expensive and too much of a gamble to make a Wii U downport.

I love Nintendo not just because of the awesome games they make but also because they have balls like a motherfucker. They make gambles. Wii U is another gamble but I think there's a fair chance this gamble will be a miss. I hope not, cause I want all game platforms to be succesful, but I honestly think the Wii U is in a far worse spot than the Wii. More like GameCube-levels, or worse, considering the Cube got a fair amount of decent ports.

Oh, come on. Weren't any of you guys around for the N64? All we had was like Mario 64 for the first YEAR. In hindsight, nobody is calling that console a failure. It ended up having some of the best games in the history of the medium.
It was a good Mario game. You don't need much else after that. :p

EDarkness

I'm starting to think that having a Mario didn't really help. It's not a system seller, but a game that keeps people around. They needed that killer game that people simply had to have. Since they recently released a Mario for the 3DS did anyone really need the Wii U version right now?

Taker666

And not a single Wii U was given that day.

Going to quickly approach Vita status in Japan.

Seems that way....although if it would take around 20 weeks of selling 0 units to match the badness of Vita last year.

...but they certainly need to get Pikmin, Wario and Wii Fit U out pretty fast...especially as Vita will have a strong March.

It's pretty much the same strategy as the N64:

---------------------------------

Nintendo 64 Super Mario 64 06/23/96 Japan
Nintendo 64 Pilotwings 64 06/23/96 Japan

(6 months later)

Nintendo 64 Mario Kart 64 12/14/96 Japan

(3 months later)

Nintendo 64 Blast Dozer 03/21/97 Japan

---------------------------------

Wii U Nintendo Land 12/08/12 Japan
Wii U Nintendo x Joysound Wii Karaoke U 12/08/12 Japan
Wii U New Super Mario Bros. U 12/08/12 Japan