• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 2, 2013 (Jan 07 - Jan 13)

As a side note, Sony really should drop the price of both Vita and PS3 now when christmas season is over. Especially that plastic new slim PS3 must have insane margins with so strong yen.

MarkusRJR

Holy shit @ that Wii U drop.

I was expecting 40k-45k assuming the system was going to be a semi-bomba. This makes me worried for the next 6 months where there's pretty much no blockbuster games coming to the system. It's all downhill from here folks.

SmokeMaxX

Wii U below PS3 is pretty damning.

I can see it getting uglier, consistent 10k levels in the future?

And imo, Japan was the only place this thing even had a chance.

How bad will this disaster get? Stay tuned.

No way it gets consistent 10k levels. Nintendo is in a very bad spot right now, but people really forget how easily they can turn it around.

Pokemon MMO for the console. BAM 10 billion units sold.
WiiU Fit. BAM 10 billion units sold (although they should've released that this past holiday season so people could buy it for their New Year's Resolutions).
Super Smash Brothers. BAM. 10 billion units sold.

Nintendo doesn't even really have to dig that deep to sell the console. They just have to do it. I still expect them to do well- but they have to provide a new experience. They don't necessarily have to convince other companies to help them provide new experiences, but it'd certainly help with consumers.

SmokyDave

Sales-wise (being this a sales thread), most of them are irrelevant. Last year Vita had 12 retail games from January to March despite having over 20 titles in the launch week. This year Vita comes from an holiday period where it basically had one game.

So, YoY the number of titles being released in this period has nearly doubled? That's crazy!

fahr

Does anyone know if fantasy life is supply constrained or has interest in it tapered off?

That game is looking like a surprise hit, I hope it finds its legs.

The majority of those titles are very minor games though, and it also includes three versions of the same game.
Edit: beaten

Just look at all of these "system selling" titles that will surely save the Vita:

01/24 Japan Demon Gaze
01/24 Japan Genkai Totsuki Monster Monpiece
01/31 Japan PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
01/31 Japan Sengoku Hime 3: Tenka o Kirisaku Hikari to Kage
01/31 Japan WRC 3
02/07 Japan NextRev: Chuushoukigyou Shindanshi Shiken 1
02/07 Japan NextRev: Chuushoukigyou Shindanshi Shiken 2
02/07 Japan San Goku Shi 12
02/14 Japan Sakura-Sou no Pet na Kanojo
02/14 Japan Silent Hill: Book of Memories
02/21 Japan Ciel Nosurge RE:Incarnation
02/21 Japan NextRev: Sharoushi Shiken
02/28 Japan Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus
02/28 Japan Phantasy Star Online 2
02/28 Japan Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus: Otome Shoujotachi no Shoumei
03/07 Japan Soul Sacrifice
03/07 Japan Tales of Hearts R
03/14 Japan Steins;Gate
03/14 Japan Steins;Gate Double Pack
03/14 Japan Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Darling
03/20 Japan Dead or Alive 5 Plus
03/20 Japan Meruru no Atelier Plus: Arland no Renkinjutsushi 3
03/20 Japan One Piece: Kaizoku Musou 2
03/28 Japan Oboro Muramasa
03/28 Japan Sei Madou Monogatari

With that kind of drop off, Wii U will be sub 10k consistently through February at least. Wii U Fit will give a temporary few week modest boost.

So, YoY the number of titles being released in this period has nearly doubled? That's crazy!

That's pretty poor given that last year was a post-launch period, and this year is the second one in the market for Vita; never seen such an abysmal performance software-wise. 360 had a better line-up in the same period 6 years ago.

Does anyone know if fantasy life is supply constrained or has interest in it tapered off?

That game is looking like a surprise hit, I hope it finds its legs.

It is.
Level-5 apologizes for the lack of supply.

Bruno MB

Code:
----------------------------------------------
|    |   [B]AC: Wild World[/B]  |   [B]AC: New Leaf[/B]    | 
|    | [NDS] (2005/11/23)| [3DS] (2012/11/08)|
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |  
|  1 |  335.425|  335.425|  721.786|  721.786|
|  2 |  142.869|  478.294|  315.317|1.037.103|  
|  3 |  116.965|  595.259|  237.823|1.274.926|  
|  4 |  192.571|  787.830|  118.898|1.393.824| 
|  5 |  381.927|1.169.757|  115.556|1.509.380|  
|  6 |  169.795|1.339.552|  213.329|1.722.709|  
|  7 |  152.339|1.491.891|  400.320|2.123.029|  
|  8 |   64.242|1.556.133|  163.948|2.286.977|  
|  9 |   89.892|1.646.025|  135.971|2.422.948| 
| 10 |   93.443|1.739.468|   86.926|2.509.874|  
| 11 |   69.401|1.808.869|         |         |  
| 12 |   55.169|1.864.038|         |         |  
| 13 |   53.594|1.917.632|         |         | 
| 14 |   57.383|1.975.015|         |         |  
| 15 |   88.709|2.063.724|         |         |  
| 16 |   93.508|2.157.232|         |         |   
| 17 |   88.292|2.245.524|         |         |   
| 18 |  101.839|2.347.363|         |         |  
| 19 |   95.034|2.442.397|         |         |  
| 20 |   68.889|2.511.286|         |         |   
| 21 |   49.596|2.560.882|         |         |   
| 22 |   40.608|2.601.490|         |         |  
| 23 |        -|        -|         |         |  
| 24 |        -|2.713.688|         |         |  
| 25 |   30.887|2.744.575|         |         |  
| 26 |   31.802|2.776.377|         |         |  
| 27 |   36.245|2.812.622|         |         |  
| 28 |   30.319|2.842.941|         |         |   
| 29 |   29.343|2.872.284|         |         |  
| 30 |   29.525|2.901.809|         |         |  
| 31 |   24.808|2.926.617|         |         |   
| 32 |   23.200|2.949.817|         |         |  
| 33 |   20.480|2.970.297|         |         |   
| 34 |   17.968|2.988.265|         |         |   
| 35 |   25.361|3.013.626|         |         |   
| 36 |   21.083|3.034.709|         |         |   
| 37 |   21.501|3.056.210|         |         |  
| 38 |        -|        -|         |         | 
| 39 |        -|3.115.414|         |         |   
| 40 |   21.492|3.136.906|         |         |  
| 41 |   22.565|3.159.471|         |         |  
| 42 |   18.772|3.178.243|         |         |   
| 43 |   20.634|3.198.877|         |         |   
| 44 |   20.447|3.219.324|         |         |   
| 45 |   19.713|3.239.037|         |         |  
|Year|   YTD   |   LTD   |   YTD   |   LTD   |
|  1 |1.169.757|1.169.757|2.286.977|2.286.997|
|  2 |2.485.264|3.665.021|  222.897|2.509.874|
|  3 |  858.501|4.513.522|        -|        -|  
|  4 |  338.531|4.852.053|        -|        -|  
|  5 |  258.996|5.111.049|        -|        -| 
|  6 |   46.432|5.157.481|        -|        -|
|  7 |   37.181|5.194.662|        -|        -|        
| LTD|        -|5.194.662|        -|2.509.874|      
----------------------------------------------

SmokyDave

Just look at all of these "system selling" titles that will surely save the Vita:

Who are you quoting?

I swear, this thread is ridiculous. One minute it's OK to bring up the EU / US Vita release schedule for no reason, the next minute you can't be surprised at the number of titles being released for a system because they aren't system sellers.

Look, the Vita is doomed. Everyone knows it's doomed. Nothing can or will save it. Your narrative is not in any danger so you don't need to step to every (slightly) positive comment like it spat in your face.

Kenka

Actually, I am delighted by the situation: Nintendo will have to finally pull the big guns, and we will enjoy their efforts to please us. That is, unless they give directions to their business that are foreign to my interests.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Come one, come all, and bare witness to The Final Nintendo Home Console.

All in on handhelds from the next junction point, theres just nothing they have to bring to the home box market any longer.

test_account

XP-39C²
Weren't certain people predicting just last week that Vita would consistently stay in the 15-20K range for the next few months? Whoops. With no significant exclusives on the way before (or after, for now) Soul Sacrifice, it's not likely to stay in five figures.

The real story, of course, is the Wii U numbers, but how much more is there to say? Nintendo really screwing the pooch here.
Yeah, i think it was maybe 2 persons saying that. It wont happen potentially before a price drop. In comparison, i think more people expected the WiiU to be a slaughter (in a good way) in Japan and get the main share of 3rd party support. Whoops there as well :/ But nothing wrong about being wrong though, in my opinion. These things are mostly based around guesses afterall, and unexpected things (for better or worse) can happen.

Nintendo really seems to have no feel on the market right now.

Guess NSMB isn't as huge as I (or Iwata it seems) thought in terms of system selling power.

Think they can still turn it around if they start making casual hits again, but they haven't had many recently and Sony and Microsoft will be competing against them in that space in this generation so it's going to be even harder than before.

Hasney

2 bungled launches in a row? Unless they fix this very quickly, someone is losing their jobs. Wii U is having one of the slowest console performances ever in the UK.

Based on a Japan sales thread, no-one is losing their job at Nintendo over this just yet unless they are really short-sighted. They recovered the 3DS and DS. Then Wii was a hit we all know it was so they'll give this time. Not even the most short-sighted of companies would kick people out after a few short weeks.

Worldwide, someone needs to do something with NoE. They are just horrible.

Nintendo's game announcement policy is a joke.

They think they're still in the 90s and early 2000s again, surrounded by plagiarizing competitors looking to undercut Nintendo on its own ideas, so they keep the lid on the news until the last possible minute. Newsflash Nintendo: No one cares, and even if they did, with the current development cycles it would take them at least a year to copy.

All in on handhelds from the next junction point, theres just nothing they have to bring to the home box market any longer.
More likely we'll see a convergence between the handheld and console market. 4DS able to function as a Wii U pad?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I think you're forgetting just how absolutely abysmal the 3DS's launch actually was 1st-party wise:

3DS Nintendogs + Cats 02/26/11 Japan
3DS Pilotwings Resort 04/14/11 Japan
3DS Steel Diver 05/12/11 Japan

vs.

Wii U Nintendo Land 12/08/12 Japan
Wii U Nintendo x Joysound Wii Karaoke U 12/08/12 Japan
Wii U New Super Mario Bros. U 12/08/12 Japan

...Yeah. No comparison here.

The 3DS momentum picked up eventually with Zelda 3D, Star Fox, Mario Kart and Mario 3D Land though, all of which were announced prior 3DS launch. The Wii U has nothing except for probably Pikmin 3.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Why do I have a feeling Pie and Beans orgasms every time there's a bad Wii U news? Did a Wii U kill your dog or what? :lol

Taker666

Well to be honest there's a strong chance this will be the last gen of home consoles by Nintendo,Sony or Microsoft...certainly in the form we have come to know them.

Based on a Japan sales thread, no-one is losing their job at Nintendo over this just yet unless they are really short-sighted. They recovered the 3DS and DS. Then Wii was a hit we all know it was so they'll give this time. Not even the most short-sighted of companies would kick people out after a few short weeks.

Worldwide, someone needs to do something with NoE. They are just horrible.

I wasn't suggesting that they will all be fired in a few weeks or even a few months. The true impact of this will need to be measured. Oh, but yeah NoE is screwed either way, they couldn't even have the first couple of weeks be mediocre.

Kacho

Gold Member
2 bungled launches in a row? Unless they fix this very quickly, someone is losing their jobs. Wii U is having one of the slowest console performances ever in the UK.

Yeah, the consecutive poor launches aren't good, but they've managed to turn things around with the 3DS. I'm sure Iwata and company will be given some time to turn things around in all the markets with the Wii U.

Who are you quoting?

I swear, this thread is ridiculous. One minute it's OK to bring up the EU / US Vita release schedule for no reason, the next minute you can't be surprised at the number of titles being released for a system because they aren't system sellers.

Look, the Vita is doomed. Everyone knows it's doomed. Nothing can or will save it. Your narrative is not in any danger so you don't need to step to every (slightly) positive comment like it spat in your face.

Why do I have a feeling Pie and Beans orgasms every time there's a bad Wii U news? Did a Wii U kill your dog or what? :lol

It looks like some people can't take it when billion-dollar-companies get criticized and ridiculed.

Kimawolf

Well, I think this about puts the final nail in the coffin of their strategy of not announcing games early. They need to scrap that idea completely and begin announcing games even if they are just names and titles. The public needs something to look forward to to show that making the investment in the Wii U is worth it.

Is it really that different to the way you guys shouted "Apocalyptic Scenario!", "Sony should discontinue the Vita" and would boo everytime the vita didn't sell under 10k?

The 3DS momentum picked up eventually with Zelda 3D, Star Fox, Mario Kart and Mario 3D Land though, all of which were announced prior 3DS launch. The Wii U has nothing except for probably Pikmin 3.

3DS picked up with Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7 and Monster Hunter 3G, along with the price cut. And two of those 3 games were announced after the 3DS launch.

Nintendo's game announcement policy is a joke.

They think they're still in the 90s and early 2000s again, surrounded by plagiarizing competitors looking to undercut Nintendo on its own ideas, so they keep the lid on the news until the last possible minute.

The fact is that they do have games for these months: Game and Wario, Wii Fit U, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101; the problem is that they are not announcing any release date, which is far beyond any stupid strategy.

Well, I think this about puts the final nail in the coffin of their strategy of not announcing games early. They need to scrap that idea completely and begin announcing games even if they are just names and titles. The public needs something to look forward to to show that making the investment in the Wii U is worth it.

The next Nintendo Direct and investors meeting should be fun.

Somnid

Nintendo really seems to have no feel on the market right now.

Guess NSMB isn't as huge as I (or Iwata it seems) thought in terms of system selling power.

Think they can still turn it around if they start making casual hits again, but they haven't had many recently and Sony and Microsoft will be competing against them in that space in this generation so it's going to be even harder than before.

NSMB has selling power but realistically how much can we expect 2D Mario to push a $300+ console? I think that's what it boils down to.

But as far as "casuals" Sony and Microsoft's competition is laughable. Even if it's not really true you'd be better off saying iOS killed it because it has plausibility.

The fact is that they do have games for these months: Game and Wario, Wii Fit U, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101; the problem is that they are not announcing any release date, which is far beyond any stupid strategy.

Everything except W101 is a "launch" delay. That's why they don't have dates.

extralite

Sales-wise (being this a sales thread), most of them are irrelevant.

I don't think they're completely irrelevant though. Sony presumably doesn't lose money on Vita hardware but gets royalties for every game sold. Even though they won't sell much individually, their rising number is positive for Sony, as even little profits do add up.

Sure, Sony should most certainly prefer to sell just more of everything but the Wii strategy of selling hardware at a non loss making price and selling lots of shovelware (in Vita's case cheap otaku games) still does work to some extent for Vita.

I don't think it needs 'saving', it's just a disappointment. A sustainable disappointment, with some chance for minor growth.

I don't think they're completely irrelevant though. Sony presumably doesn't lose money on Vita hardware but gets royalties for every game sold. Even though they won't sell much individually, their rising number is positive for Sony, as even little profits do add up.

Sure, Sony should most certainly prefer to sell just more of everything but the Wii strategy of selling hardware at a non loss making price and selling lots of shovelware (in Vita's case cheap otaku games) still does work to some extent for Vita.

I don't think it needs 'saving', it's just a disappointment. A sustainable disappointment, with some chance for minor growth.

Yes, royalties will help; but the situation is still worrying. It's one of the worse lineup ever for a platform in its second year in the market.

Mr Swine

Banned
Looking back at the previous media create sales during the years, it's really impressive that the 3DS has almost sold as much as PSP LTD in 2009. It took 4 years for vita to reach 11 million and 3DS is soon there in 2 years and probably 3 months!

But yeah I predicted that sales would drop this week :p

iV26B3jrgAeUT.png

Could you please add dreamcast to this graph too? ;)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Nintendo's arrogance has just long required being taken down a peg or two. Underpowered systems, region locking, no account tied downloads, refusal to bring their A-game from the start of a systems life due to penny pinching and moronic oversights (no 2nd stick on 3DS, tiniest battery possible in WiiU GamePad), slow software house expansion despite sitting on billions in profit, and more are all stuff as a consumer and avid follower of the industry I have been gradually becoming absolutely sick of.

I know every system has its exclusives, thats why I get round to buying each and every single one along the generations way. But whenever it comes to having to pick up a Nintendo system, theres always just these unforgivable flaws and arrogance on show that makes it a begrudging buy. Them getting an ass whoopin' in markets all around the world is going to be good if it forces them to change some of their shitty ways and thus good for consumers. And thats what I am, not an employee or a shareholder.

Top Bottom