• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 2, 2013 (Jan 07 - Jan 13)

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
That's irrelevant when you consider the capital that the corporations can invest into a project. Nintendo only has games. The other players are major corporations that can afford to take the hit if their console fails.

I have yet to see Nintendo make a Halo 4 or an Uncharted 3. Until then, I will assume they are stifled by limited resources.

Considering the hardware,twilight princess and skyward is as big of an investment as the games you mentioned. Shit I think the qa alone needed for those Zelda games dwarfs that of halo/uncharted. Also speaking from experience making assets for a zelda style game is just as time consuming as realistic styled games. Most that stuff is hand painted, and hand animated.

extralite

Isn't around 2 games a year normal for many people?

For casual players, yes. You can buy core games and still play them casually. Anyway, if you're fine with 2 games per year then Nintendo and 3rd parties provided enough to satisfy your needs as an expanded audience fan.

I think Wii Fit + was 2010 (edit: or late 2009, sorry), wasn't it? Same as Wii Motion, although that bombed. So much for Nintendo abandoning that audience.

True, Brain Training is DS but so are most of the expanded audience titles. Their success was shared among platforms and so would be their demise, I'd assume.

Anyway, Wii Fit U should be one of the better performing titles given how Wii Fit always was expensive. Let's see if the U is too expensive even for that audience.

One thing I honestly don't get is the "Nintendo need to announce some games!" thing. Like, really? You'd go out and buy a console that currently and obviously doesn't have enough to tempt you because they said that a new Mario Kart would come in Q4 2013? Most rational people would just wait until Mario Kart actually turned up.

I know a bunch of people who flipped their shit over Pokémon X and Y and said they'd buy a 3DS for it. But not a single person has plans to go buy a 3DS any time soon.

Announcements won't save shit.

The golden rule of economics is that something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. It's obvious that people aren't seeing the value in the current Wii U RRP. Drop it by US$50 and just send everyone who already has one registered against their Club Nintendo that much in eShop credit. (I doubt they'll get emulation working in time to get an ambassador program out as fast as they need it.)

One thing I honestly don't get is the "Nintendo need to announce some games!" thing. Like, really? You'd go out and buy a console that currently and obviously doesn't have enough to tempt you because they said that a new Mario Kart would come in Q4 2013? Most rational people would just wait until Mario Kart actually turned up.

I know a bunch of people who flipped their shit over Pokémon X and Y and said they'd buy a 3DS for it. But not a single person has plans to go buy a 3DS any time soon.

The golden rule of economics is that something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. It's obvious that people aren't seeing the value in the current Wii U RRP. Drop it by US$50 and just send everyone who already has one registered against their Club Nintendo that much in eShop credit. (I doubt they'll get emulation working in time to get an ambassador program out as fast as they need it.)

Didn't the 3DS increase after the Nintendo Direct where MonHun 4 was announced?

maverick40

This is 100% true unfortunately. Nintendo has nothing short term that could boost sales significantly and no pikmin will be lucky to break a million sales.

Anth0ny

they need a price drop and good games that will sell.

right now they have neither.

maverick40

The hyperbole in this thread is hilarious.

I wouldn´t, they were shut down for a reason.

XwHmk.gif

Laguna

Banned
Hope dies last. A pity that we can´t say the same about F-Zero.

F-Zero:
It made a prominent cameo in Nintendoland,

Wipeout:
while StudioLiverpool was shut down.

The least I can say is that a new F-Zero is more likely than a new Wipeout.

An F-Zero made by the disbanded SCE Studio Liverpool/Wipeout team would be something I'd buy a Wii U for.

But Nintendo...
I wouldn't. F-Zero isn't WipEout, they have a totally different focus on handling, design and mechanics. Pretty much all they share in common is their basic genre (racing) and a superficial setting/theme (future) but even those are totally different when you look deeper.

I'm sure the corpse of Psygnosis could make a great Tube Sliders 2 or something though.

A stream of games will sell systems in the long run.
How'd that work out for Xbox 360?

That´s one series against multiple back in the day.
Hardly. Even on it's deathbed Wii sold casual and crossover games pretty damn well in 2012:

010 Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsusu no Shuzoku Online (633,827)
011 Mario Party 9 (622,266)
020 Wii Sports Resort (351,688) 3,084,343
030 Taiko Drum Master Wii: Chougoukaban (308,684)
037 Wii Party (237,243) 2,361,016
039 Mario Lart Wii (232,483) 3,612,831
043 Just Dance Wii (226,014) 653,888
044 Kirby's Dream Collection: Special Edition (225,772)
046 Just Dance Wii 2 (223,628)
055 Kirby's Return to Dream Land (197,036) 695,464
056 Taiko Drum Master Wii: Ketteiban (188,939) 320,770
064 Go Vacation (167,902) 348,704
076 New Super Mario Bros. Wii (148,957) 4,518,492
088 Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (115,748) 217,264
093 Fortune Street (109,547) 199,092
097 PokéPark 2: Wonders Beyond (106,914) 318,523

And honestly, Wii U's not exactly doing terrible in that regard either for several weeks out:

018 New Super Mario Bros. U (381,315)
050 Nintendo Land (214,374)

The notion that this audience has rejected consoles in Japan is a complete fabrication. Wii Fit U might not reach the dizzying heights of Wii Fit/Plus, but it's still probably going to outsell every PS3, PSP or Vita game released this year in Japan.

Foshy

You're manipulating numbers a bit here.

That was week 3 for the Vita. This is Week 4 for Wii U.

It's not a huge deal, but for comparison Week 3 of the Wii U was over 60k so the Wii U is doing better at this point.

Weren't Vita's weekly numbers at launch 300k-70k-50k-40k-20k or something like that?

I'm pretty sure Vita wasn't doing 18k in it's 3rd week.

EDIT:
iV26B3jrgAeUT.png
Found a nice graph

Takao

Banned
With a strong lineup featuring heavy hitters like Dark Souls II, Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMix, Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes, Metal Gear Rising, Project Versus J, and One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 I'm sure Wii U's momentum will continue for the majority of 2013.

Laguna

Banned
I wouldn't. F-Zero isn't WipEout, they have a totally different focus on handling, design and mechanics. Pretty much all they share in common is their basic genre (racing) and a superficial setting/theme (future) but even those are totally different when you look deeper.

I'm sure the corpse of Psygnosis could make a great Tube Sliders 2 or something though.

How'd that work out for Xbox 360?

Hardly. Even on it's deathbed Wii sold casual and crossover games pretty damn well in 2012:

010 Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsusu no Shuzoku Online (633,827)
011 Mario Party 9 (622,266)
020 Wii Sports Resort (351,688) 3,084,343
030 Taiko Drum Master Wii: Chougoukaban (308,684)
037 Wii Party (237,243) 2,361,016
039 Mario Lart Wii (232,483) 3,612,831
043 Just Dance Wii (226,014) 653,888
044 Kirby's Dream Collection: Special Edition (225,772)
046 Just Dance Wii 2 (223,628)
055 Kirby's Return to Dream Land (197,036) 695,464
056 Taiko Drum Master Wii: Ketteiban (188,939) 320,770
064 Go Vacation (167,902) 348,704
076 New Super Mario Bros. Wii (148,957) 4,518,492
088 Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (115,748) 217,264
093 Fortune Street (109,547) 199,092
097 PokéPark 2: Wonders Beyond (106,914) 318,523

And honestly, Wii U's not exactly doing terrible in that regard either for several weeks out:

018 New Super Mario Bros. U (381,315)
050 Nintendo Land (214,374)

The notion that this audience has rejected consoles in Japan is a complete fabrication. Wii Fit U might not reach the dizzying heights of Wii Fit/Plus, but it's still probably going to outsell every PS3, PSP or Vita game released this year in Japan.

To put things in perspective these are PSVs 2012 top sellers according to Famitsu.

PSV Persona 4 Golden 229,044
PSV Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA f 200,131
PSV Gravity Rush 80,597

Lol. Game materialize out of no where just because Nintendo go into panic mode.

When people began to whine (or opine), that Nintendo needed miraculous instantaneous reveals and deals, this scene scene played out in my mind (typed on iPad, sorry for errors):

Its morning time in Japan. As the sun begins to rise, something (more than a mouse) is stirring from within the confines of Nintendo Co. limited. It seems Satoru Iwata has not been happy with the numbers of the Ultra Wii U2, which went on sale 16 minutes ago. To combat these low sales, Iwata has assembled a crack team of 5 Reggie Fils Ame clones, one Shigeru Miyamoto and a miniaturized, real life Nintendog.

As the 17th minute begins, murmurs of "Nintendoomed" are beginning their crescendo across the Internet, particularly within NeoGaf. You see, the sales are lower than expected (for a system that has been on sale for 17 minutes), especially from the perspective of many arm chair analysts.

Things feel so bad - so dirty, that the Nintendo elite core (a fun, colorful and loving bunch), are now beginning to soil themselves by the 18th minute. Their pleas for "panic mode", "release a trailer?!?" are not in vain. Iwata can hear them, for he has a magic pickle.

20 minutes have passed. Iwata and his sleuth team - clad in all black ninja attire, board their MarioPartyKart. The team, now desperate to prevent more fan soilings, are speeding at warp 5 through the many streets of Kyoto. They arrive by the 21st minute at an undisclosed developer compound. There is silence in the air, as everything inside is very top secret.

23 minutes have now passed, since the UltraWiiU2 has been on sale. Iwata can reassure all fans, that he and Nintendo has heard their cries, through use of his magic pickle. With great pride, Iwata takes the stage of a Nintendo Direct, proudly announcing an unprecedented partnership:

He will release a new game in 15 seconds, which was developed 12 seconds ago (in 12 seconds). Using the power of HD, this game will revolutionize the console world. You will use the new Gamepad to build Popsicle stick houses, while preventing fudge rain from destroying your creations. Think Jenga meets Minecraft, but developed in 12 seconds.

The world cheers! All is well! Everyone is pleased! (especially Hideki Kamiya, who can use his own brain)

The end.

---

It's so funny when people are hyperbolic about a system which launched 1-2 months ago. The trajectory can be changed. The Internet has a way of warping human perception of time and occurrence. It's not that bad. Enjoy the system, as stuff will unveil in due time.

With a strong lineup featuring heavy hitters like Dark Souls II, Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMix, Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes, Metal Gear Rising, Project Versus J, and One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 I'm sure Wii U's momentum will continue for the majority of 2013.
DS2 and maybe MGSV aren't 2013 I thought (as well as possibly being "cross-gen")?

Whatever, NSMBU alone will still likely outsell all those games. NSMBU+NLand might even outsell them all combined.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
A bit surprised to see the staying power of the AC franchise. I'm not really very familiar with it but to a casual observer, all the different AC games seemed way too similar, thought that people would be a bit tired of them by now.

Kacho

Gold Member
A bit surprised to see the staying power of the AC franchise. I'm not really very familiar with it but to a casual observer, all the different AC games seemed way too similar, thought that people would be a bit tired of them by now.

They made a lot of meaningful changes to New Leaf.

Majmun

DS2 and maybe MGSV aren't 2013 I thought (as well as possibly being "cross-gen")?

Whatever, NSMBU alone will still likely outsell all those games. NSMBU+NLand might even outsell them all combined.

But the games Takao mentioned appeal to more different people, instead of just Nintendo fans.

Nintendo needs to broaden their market. Wii success was just luck. Wii U will probably only reach Gamecube or N64's numbers if they don't do anything about third party support...

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
It's so funny when people are hyperbolic about a system which launched 1-2 months ago. The trajectory can be changed. The Internet has a way of warping human perception of time and occurrence. It's not that bad. Enjoy the system, as stuff will unveil in due time.

At some posts you just have to replace Wii U with Vita one year ago.

wii u is the new VITA, he he..
In 4 weeks:
001 WIU New Super Mario Bros. U (381,315)
002 WIU Nintendo Land (214,374)
003 WIU Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (166,908)

In 52 weeks:
001 PSV Persona 4 Golden (229,044)
002 PSV Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA f (200,131)
003 PSV Gravity Rush (80,597)

But the games Takao mentioned appeal to more different people, instead of just Nintendo fans.

Nintendo needs to broaden their market. Wii success was just luck. Wii U will probably only reach Gamecube or N64's numbers if they don't do anything about third party support...
I'd say NSMBU and NL have broader appeal than all those games. That's why they'll sell much more.

Wii wasn't just "luck". Not anymore than Famicom, Game Boy, PlayStation or Nintendo DS were.

extralite

I think their options are a bit limited in that regard. I don't feel that they absolutely needed a considerable jump in graphics but it would certainly have helped in securing multiplatform titles. Their best bet right now is to make the strategy work they seem to be pursuing: have NSMBU, DQX and an online MH4 for Wii U, assuming that's in the work, succeed early in the life cycle to pave the way for more core games.

Since they can't easily get multiplatform games they really need to become the dominant force that can get huge exclusives. This isn't exactly easy.

Kosma

Banned
The hyperbole in this thread is hilarious.

I wouldn´t, they were shut down for a reason.

And whats that reason?

Please tell me.

Definitely not the amazing quality of the game that while not even a full price title pretty much shits on all Nintendo has done in the last 10 years technically.

Please name one Nintendo game that is as impressive technically as wipeout on ps3.

And please dont answer me in 2015.

Row

Banned
I'm positive the Wii U would be doing much better had it just been a more powerful Wii with no tablet controller and of course a better name like Wii 2.

extralite

I'm not saying Wipe Out is a bad series (I also don't care enough for racing games to be able to judge them) but I never got the same sense of speed from Wipe Out that I got from F-Zero. So I agree that a F-Zero by Psygnosis wouldn't be the same thing or even authentic. They took inspiration from Nintendo and made their own game. Wipe Out doesn't qualify them for making an F-Zero at all.

I'm positive the Wii U would be doing much better had it just been a more powerful Wii with no tablet controller and of course a better name like Wii 2.

It already is a more powerful Wii, I don't think taking away the gamepad and changing the name would have done much. Besting the last gen HD consoles might have though.

Thank god for 3DS. I couldn't even begin to imagine how pressure Iwata would be getting from investors if even that wasn't doing as well as it is in Japan.

ohlawd

And whats that reason?

Please tell me.

Definitely not the amazing quality of the game that while not even a full price title pretty much shits on all Nintendo has done in the last 10 years technically.

Please name one Nintendo game that is as impressive technically as wipeout on ps3.

lololol.

ctrl-f "gameplay" 0 results found.

Kosma

Banned
Well thats my fav too, but the gx is the most critically acclaimed.

Some posters here are obviously enotionally upset about low sales of wii u and lashing out on amazing games like wipeout, which is sad. Especially since Nintendo canned f zero long ago due to sales.

The last f zero game was what, 10 years ago?

Laguna

Banned
And whats that reason?

Please tell me.

Please, Sony shut them down, that´s your answer.

extralite

The best F Zero was made by Sega.

How were they qualified?

That one was faster than Wipe Out too, yes. After the fact Sega certainly were qualified (and obviously Nintendo deemed them to be beforehand already). Maybe Psygnosis can make a good F-Zero too. But it would be nothing like Wipe Out then. Which I think is why people are so opposed to an F-Zero by them. Too different in game design.

Top Bottom