• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 2, 2014 (Jan 06 - Jan 12)

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I have just watched the first episode of Youkai Watch, it's amazing! It's my second anime so I can't make comparisons.

The concept is so cool, get money Hino! I recommend, Level-5 did a great job with the first episode, a perfect introduction to the series.

Waiting for Episode 2 now! When will Pokémon? *-*

I watched it too! I loved it! Hopefully we will see a stateside release
plz Nintendo!

You have insider info? That's it, I'll have to ring out the aqua info from your marine towel! XD

Ahh just foolin', don't be a wet blanket. ;)

That's just creepy mate lol.

You do know her name is derived from a semiprecious gemstone right.

Anyway, all the players are now in position. I'm just giddy with anticipation, it's gonna be a long wait for the cheers, jeers and tears.

Didn't the government step in and stop Nintendo's acquisition of Bamco?
Not to my knowledge. Aquamarine would be the better person to answer.

Nintendo did invest in Bandai prior to the merger of Namco-Bandai Holdings; however, talks of Nintendo and Bandai becoming one did not bear fruit.

I made a post about their history a few months ago:

Thank you. If you're curious, here is an explanation of the relationship between the two:

Nintendo's Corporate History with Bandai / Namco Bandai

August 19th, 2003: Bandai management refuses to agree on a potential Nintendo buyout, settles for Nintendo purchasing a minority stake instead

September 16th, 2003: Nintendo purchases 1,280,000 shares of Bandai (260,000 shares from Mattel, the rest from financial institutions) (2.6%)

September 29th, 2005: Nintendo's shares of Bandai transfer to the new company, NAMCO BANDAI Holdings; Nintendo gets 1.49% of the company

May 1st, 2007: Namco Bandai sells 80% of Monolith Soft to Nintendo, keeps 16%

May 30th, 2011: Nintendo owns 3,845,700 shares of Namco Bandai (1.63%)

2011: Namco Bandai sells the remaining 16% of Monolith Soft to Nintendo, Nintendo now owns 2,320 shares (96.7%) of the company

March 31st, 2012: Nintendo owns 1.73% of Namco Bandai

May 28th, 2012: Nintendo owns 3,845,700 shares of Namco Bandai (1.75%)

March 31st, 2013: Nintendo owns 3,845,700 shares of Namco Bandai (1.73%)

June 3rd, 2013: Nintendo owns 3,845,700 shares of Namco Bandai (1.75%)

Nintendo's current deal with Namco Bandai to have Monolith Soft work with Banpresto on new games, the fact that Nintendo continues to be a shareholder in the company, the collaboration with Smash Bros. U + 3DS, and NBGI's large amount of 3DS support define the close relationship between the two companies.

Anyway, all the players are now in position. I'm just giddy with anticipation, it's gonna be a long wait for the cheers, jeers and tears.

*wiki search*
brb gonna start calling Aquamarine Emerald instead, for the actual precious gemstone of beryl :p

Unintended. XD

Just a way of "sqeezing out info", and as a pun of her name (ringing out water from a towel). :p Sorry, my apologies! :)

But yeah, it is a gem, thought it as a color mainly.

hiska-kun

I've checked Bic Camera and Yamda Denki in Ikebukuro and it seems the stock problems finally ended. Everything has stock, and a good amount (Kirby, FFX, Zelda, Disney).

There's only one game that is still facing stock problems... and this game is Attack on Titan. Chunsoft can't meet the demand.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I've checked Bic Camera and Yamda Denki in Ikebukuro and it seems the stock problems finally ended. Everything has stock, and a good amount (Kirby, FFX, Zelda, Disney).

There's only one game that is still facing stock problems... and this game is Attack on Titan. Chunsoft can't meet the demand.

Makes me wonder what would've happened if a bigger company got the license and gave it a bigger initial run.

AniHawk

Nintendo PDS. A 3DS with phone features included. Easy tools for porting from iOS and Android, renewed eShop, Miiverse, more RAM, 16,900 Yen. With many cross-deals with phone operators for selling it with subscriptions. Let's-a-go.

hm. you know, with the console market in japan dying and dedicated handhelds struggling, i wonder if nintendo would try their hand a two handhelds.

one would have wii u level graphics, be a larger system, have more traditional games like monster hunter and mario and zelda and whatnot. it could also hook up to the tv and play stuff. market it at $200 (for the american crowd mostly).

also have a handheld line. something like the game boy micro. inexpensive, with inexpensive software. doubles as some sort of lifestyle thing (put the wii fit u stuff into it- that's timetokill's idea).

instead of console/handheld it would be hybrid/handheld.

Anth0ny

I still think they'd be fine if they just made:

- a handheld that's aimed at Japanese audiences
(they are doing it right now. extremely successful in Japan, and decently successful overseas)

-a console that's aimed at the Western audience
(they are currently aiming their console to the Japanese audience, which has less and less interest in a console by the day. making it small/consume little power/more expensive for that reason is dumb as fuck, and seems like a really Japanese-centric idea. Japanese audience, because it has no games and is a fucking console, couldn't care less about the Wii U. Western audience, since they are not being catered to, couldn't care less about the Wii U. LOSE LOSE SITUATION)

Shengar

hm. you know, with the console market in japan dying and dedicated handhelds struggling, i wonder if nintendo would try their hand a two handhelds.

one would have wii u level graphics, be a larger system, have more traditional games like monster hunter and mario and zelda and whatnot. it could also hook up to the tv and play stuff. market it at $200 (for the american crowd mostly).

also have a handheld line. something like the game boy micro. inexpensive, with inexpensive software. doubles as some sort of lifestyle thing (put the wii fit u stuff into it- that's timetokill's idea).

I've heard that it is possible that the next Nintendo console will be a hybrid. But if they release two handhelds at a time, even if both of them have clear power difference, wouldn't that confuse the market? They can market the former as a portable "console" in order to avoid such confusion nonetheless.

AniHawk

I've heard that it is possible that the next Nintendo console will be a hybrid. But if they release two handhelds at a time, even if both of them have clear power difference, wouldn't that confuse the market? They can market the former as a portable "console" in order to avoid such confusion nonetheless.

depends on branding. they could call the hybrid something else. maybe go straight for the nostalgia and call one the famicom/nes [something] and the other a game boy [something].

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

In your model, would the "gamer handheld" play the "casual handheld"'s games, too? Because otherwise I'd then need to carry around three handhelds, two Nintendo ones, and the PSP 3. Quite annoying ;).

AniHawk

In your model, would the "gamer handheld" play the "casual handheld"'s games, too? Because otherwise I'd then need to carry around three handhelds, two Nintendo ones, and the PSP 3. Quite annoying ;).

the bigger one would operate as one of their traditional consoles and the smaller one would be more like the game boy (instead of the things that have launched at $250 since 2005). it keeps their console teams from growing even larger next gen and maybe even allocates some more to them if the handheld requires less manpower to develop games.

i'm thinking of something like an ipad/iphone sort of thing. two similar devices supported by the same company that have different purposes.

Nintendo PDS. A 3DS with phone features included. Easy tools for porting from iOS and Android, renewed eShop, Miiverse, more RAM, 16,900 Yen. With many cross-deals with phone operators for selling it with subscriptions. Let's-a-go.

With Nintendo knowledge of modern OSes, online , connectivity, etc. it would more resemble Nokia 3210 hybrid with gameboy.

And the final result would make Xperia Play look like tremendous success.

IMHO best format for next gen machine would be Wii U gamepad form factor that works stand alone and accesory in form of receiver that connects to your tv.

So a reversed Wii U concept where the main part is in portable part.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
the bigger one would operate as one of their traditional consoles and the smaller one would be more like the game boy (instead of the things that have launched at $250 since 2005). it keeps their console teams from growing even larger next gen and maybe even allocates some more to them if the handheld requires less manpower to develop games.

i'm thinking of something like an ipad/iphone sort of thing. two similar devices supported by the same company that have different purposes.

I got that much, but if I wanted to play both device's games, would it be sufficient to get the bigger one ^^?

Hybrid is a terrible idea, profits wise. Nintendo needs to release a smartphone as a "third pillar" kind of thing.

Hybrid doesn't cut into profits when their console isn't making them money anyway. It consolidates all their resources behind a single stronger platform, and they get to make more software sales instead of watching game after game bomb.

As for a phone, they really don't have any expertise in the space.

zsidane

depends on branding. they could call the hybrid something else. maybe go straight for the nostalgia and call one the famicom/nes [something] and the other a game boy [something].
Good luck in PAL land were the NES was called/known as Nintendo...

Log4Girlz

Maybe Nintendo should target a sub $200 console next time around. Going by the lessons of Gamecube, well they'll have no problem simply recycling the Wii U hardware.

AniHawk

I got that much, but if I wanted to play both device's games, would it be sufficient to get the bigger one ^^?

i was thinking another benefit would be to push differences between the two. despite being a far better game, 3d land and 3d world resemble each other quite a lot. i would expect smaller games for the smaller handheld- something made for price all-around. hell they could try pulling a mega man 9 and make 'super mario bros. 4' (i know, japan), with nes/snes level sprites.

in the west, i think the analog stick is really confusing for a lot of nongamers. one of the better parts about the ds was the d-pad is easy to understand and use, and it made it difficult to pull off 3d gameplay (so it forced more accessible design choices).

In Spain it was " la Nintendo".

shouldn't it have been 'el nintendo'?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Nobody would buy a Nintendo smartphone. The people who'd do it are the same already buying their hardware.
Games aren't really a deciding factor in which phone the vast majority of people choose.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
they should totally stay away from smartphone.
they should create two accessible Nintendo boxes, increasing the stream of games (especially to recove the home market, while the portable are at least ok)

RalchAC

No because videogame console is a femenine name in spanish (videoconsola). Then it uses a femenine article.

La videoconsola, la Nintendo, la Play, la 360, la Vita, etc.

Yep. It seems Spain is considers game consoles femenine and South America masculine. I had the discussion in the Vita thread a few months ago.

DrWong

A twitter campaign with the wrestler "Danshoku Dino (google translated as "Sodomy Dino", lol), an overly exaggerated homosexual character, giving Dreamcast and Wii U systems as gifts - or something like that - for the release of the F2P RPG Angel Master (IOS/Android).

http://i.angelmaster.jp/

Wii U saved.
camp_intro.jpg
camp_info_01.png

camp_attention.png

Shahed

Does Nintendo owning just under 2% of Namco Bandai make any real difference? Seems like an insignificant number. I mean Sony own around 8% of Square Enix and it doesn't appear to really get them anywhere

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
No because videogame console is a femenine name in spanish (videoconsola). Then it uses a femenine article.

La videoconsola, la Nintendo, la Play, la 360, la Vita, etc.

In Italian it's even more hilarious because even tho console is feminine, each model/brand also had a conventional gender when referred to it directly, which was usually decided by the general public (sometimes after forum/playground's debates, lol).

It usually goes like this:

il Nintendo (NES), il Super Nintendo, il Megadrive, il Master System, la Play 1/2/3/4, la Wii, il Neo-Geo, la 360, il 3/DS/i, la PSP, la PS Vita, il Gamecube, il PC-Engine, il Nintendo 64, il Game Boy etc...

Neverending debate: il/la Dreamcast. I find myself calling it both ways.

AniHawk

Does Nintendo owning just under 2% of Namco Bandai make any real difference? Seems like an insignificant number. I mean Sony own around 8% of Square Enix and it doesn't appear to really get them anywhere

i think they still have the biggest stake in the company or one of the biggest stakes in the company. namco bandai is divided among a lot of groups/people.

Albo

A twitter campaign with the wrestler "Danshoku Dino (google translated as "Sodomy Dino", lol), an overly exaggerated homosexual character, giving Dreamcast and Wii U systems as gifts - or something like that - for the release of the F2P RPG Angel Master (IOS/Android).

http://i.angelmaster.jp/

Wii U saved.

I wouldn't be surprised if nintendo's PR team was in on this.

Foshy

In Italian it's even more hilarious because even tho console is feminine, each model/brand also had a conventional gender when referred to it directly, which was usually decided by the general public (sometimes after forum/playground's debates, lol).

It usually goes like this:

il Nintendo (NES), il Super Nintendo, il Megadrive, il Master System, la Play 1/2/3/4, la Wii, il Neo-Geo, la 360, il 3/DS/i, la PSP, la PS Vita, il Gamecube, il PC-Engine, il Nintendo 64, il Game Boy etc...

Neverending debate: il/la Dreamcast. I find myself calling it both ways.
I know a lot of Nintendo fans who get angry when you say "la Wii", lol. I say it too myself, it flows much better than "il Wii" imo.

Silly thing to get riled up about.

Top Bottom