• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 2, 2014 (Jan 06 - Jan 12)

Foshy

Sony and Microsoft are feminine, Nintendo and Sega are masculine, that's the rule. Or at least in Italy.
The feminine Wii is wrong and shows how successful it was with the unwashed masses.
I'll keep saying la Wii and la Wii U because it sounds better to me, sorry

If I recall correctly, even some official commercials on italian television used the feminine article. There's really no right or wrong here.

How do you determine what gender to use for a console?

It's El for every console for me. El playstation, el Wii, el 3DS etc.

The gender varies by language and region I suppose. Personally, I speak spanish. The gender of words is something that comes naturally. La Wii, for example, sounds so incredibly wrong and weird to me but it could be completely natural for someone else

Shengar

The great console masculine-feminine debate begin again lol
Glad we don't have such confusion here :p
Top 10 (2013 sales only, through December 29th, 2013)

1) Pokemon X / Y - 3,976.829

2) Monster Hunter 4 - 3,923,312

3) Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 1,730,182

4) Friend Collection: New Life - 1,580,067

5) Dragon Quest VII Remake - 1,227,377

6) Puzzles and Dragons Z - 1,005,697

7) Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - 982,737

8) Grand Theft Auto V - 605,882

9) New Super Mario Bros. U - 584,479 (including bundles)

10) Wii Party U - 518,776 (including bundles)

CajOs3D.gif

Astounding performance, GTA V for being the only non-nintendo platform game on Famitsu top ten.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The great console masculine-feminine debate begin again lol
Glad we don't have such confusion here :p

Astounding performance, GTA V for being the only non-nintendo platform game on Famitsu top ten.

Best-selling console game in Japan. Crazy times.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Very few and low profile releases this Thursday That site didn't bother to give first day sellthrough for neither title. Further hw drops incoming likely.

Spiegel

I'm curious about something. Why does Famitsu add the two Pokemon SKU and not the two GTAV SKUs in the Top 10 2013 games?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Sony and Microsoft are feminine, Nintendo and Sega are masculine, that's the rule. Or at least in Italy.
The feminine Wii is wrong and shows how successful it was with the unwashed masses.

There's no rule really, and no right or wrong definitions either. Also, it's "La Wii" for Nintendo Italia itself, so no :p
What the hell would it have to do with the console's success and its audience of "unwashed masses"... lol, elitism is such a bad beast, I guess I'll stick with being part of the plebs. ;)

~

Anyway, back on topic, what was Wii's best selling RPG? Did the Last Story or Xenoblade enjoy a budget rerelease like our own "Nintendo Select" line?

RalchAC

It's El for every console for me. El playstation, el Wii, el 3DS etc.

The gender varies by language and region I suppose. Personally, I speak spanish. The gender of words is something that comes naturally. La Wii, for example, sounds so incredibly wrong and weird to me but it could be completely natural for someone else

Spain -> Femenine.
South America -> Masculine.

It sounds incredibly weird for me when I've read "el PlayStation". It's all about what you've heard when you're little and your mind is fixing patterns and structures for the lenguage. If you've heard "la Atari", "la NES" or whatever, you'll start calling every console that way. Our minds love to use those patterns, especially when you're a kid and you haven't learned grammar. Most mistakes they have while speaking are precisely because they're using logic (like saying sweeped instead of swept, or "cabo" instead of "quepo" in spanish) instead of rules.
___

When we'll get shipments for next week and first day sell throughs? Or there isn't anything releasing next week?

Shengar

Anyway, back on topic, what was Wii's best selling RPG? Did the Last Story or Xenoblade enjoy a budget rerelease like our own "Nintendo Select" line?

Last time I checked Play-Asia, no. I don't think they'll receive budget rerelease whatsoever in any form.

There's this guy who loves to call the 3DS "la tridies". So annoying.

On topic:
I was expecting the Wii U to have a more gentle drop but without software I guess the struggle will continue. Vita is pretty much out of the coma, which is amazing news since the better the vita does in japan, the more possibilities we will have of getting Persona 4 part II :p.

There's this guy who loves to call the 3DS "la tridies". So annoying.

On topic:
I was expecting the Wii U to have a more gentle drop but without software I guess the struggle will continue. Vita is pretty much out of the coma, which is amazing news since the better the vita does in japan, the more possibilities we will have of getting Persona 4 part II :p.

229722-box.jpg

RalchAC

They could drop Persona 4 Arena 2 for the 360 and make it for the Vita instead. In Japan it makes more sense (I don't know sales numbers in the West), but Ark System Works last BlazBlue and Guilty Gear games are PS3 exclusive (well, the latter will have a PS4 version). Since the Persona fanbase is already on the Vita, it won't be a bad move.

BTW, that Ultimate Suplex whatever is the original game + expanded story characters and stuff, right?

They could drop Persona 4 Arena 2 for the 360 and make it for the Vita instead. In Japan it makes more sense (I don't know sales numbers in the West), but Ark System Works last BlazBlue and Guilty Gear games are PS3 exclusive (well, the latter will have a PS4 version). Since the Persona fanbase is already on the Vita, it won't be a bad move.

BTW, that Ultimate Suplex whatever is the original game + expanded story characters and stuff, right?

You know P4A2 for Vita is not a bad idea considering the Vita has a notable amount of Persona fans.Though the fighting community is not that large on the Vita iirc.

hiska-kun

I guess it's a South American thing. In Portuguese, in Brazil, it's masculine (console), while in Portugal, it's feminine (consola).

Still no prediction league's results? :(

On topic: still impossible to find Attack on Titan. What's going on?

Mario007

Before Comgnet gets posted here's my predictions for this week re our favourite underdogs:

Vita down to 18k
Wii U down to 9k

I think the 18k will be the new baseline for Vita till March (I don't really see any hardware selling games in February despite a healthy amount of games being released for the platform). Wii U might fall down to 6k before any games hit the platform.

L~A

Still no prediction league's results? :(

On topic: still impossible to find Attack on Titan. What's going on?

May be a bit farfetched, but maybe they're planning some sort of relaunch? Like, go all-out with a huge ad campaign or something, maybe to coincide with something (new Book for the manga?)

One thing's for sure : they're aware of the situation, since they recently extended the free DLC offer. I seriously doubt the factories are so busy they can't make new cartridges at the moment, and it's not like the game uses a special cartridge (like AC:NL).

Shengar

May be a bit farfetched, but maybe they're planning some sort of relaunch? Like, go all-out with a huge ad campaign or something, maybe to coincide with something (new Book for the manga?).

Maybe announcement for season two of the anime? A new tankobon have higher chance though.

Maybe it's selling well on the eShop, and Spike probably make more money off digital than retail copies (don't have to pay for cards, manuals, shipping, etc).

I feel like Youkai Watch could face some stock problems too, right now it's #7 on Amazon (wow) and Yodobashi is rapidly running out of copies.

By the way, we know Hino is working on a new entry of the series, I hope he doesn't officially announce it anytime soon, Youkai Watch has a lot of potential left.

12./21. [3DS] Youkai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 10.905 / 314.222 <80-100%> (-35%)

Coming for Inazuma Eleven (401,820) in a few months.

Oemenia

Banned
Before Comgnet gets posted here's my predictions for this week re our favourite underdogs:

Vita down to 18k
Wii U down to 9k

I think the 18k will be the new baseline for Vita till March (I don't really see any hardware selling games in February despite a healthy amount of games being released for the platform). Wii U might fall down to 6k before any games hit the platform.
Hopefully some of the older titles start getting a sales boost, God Eater 2 is holding on pretty well it seems.

Dunno if it'll include the original story but at the very least there is a brand new story that continues where P4A1 left off. Every character in the game (besides Labrys, I think) gets a Shadow variant as well, and there are three new characters (with hints of a fourth? not sure about that one though).

AmanoBuff

I guess it's a South American thing. In Portuguese, in Brazil, it's masculine (console), while in Portugal, it's feminine (consola).

Here in SouthAmerica I have always called consoles in masculine because I refer to them not as "consoles" (la consola), but as "video game system" (el sistema de videojuegos)

So:

- el (sistema de videojuegos) PlayStation 4
- el (sistema de videojuegos) PlayStation Vita
- el (sistema de videojuegos) Nintendo WiiU

Maybe announcement for season two of the anime? A new tankobon have higher chance though.

Right. But I hope it is the 2nd season, the first one was so good (although not the best animation). I'm sure an announcement of the second season could push the game to even higher sales.

Shengar

Right. But I hope it is the 2nd season, the first one was so good (although not the best animation). I'm sure an announcement of the second season could push the game to even higher sales.

1. SnK game out of stock everywhere
2. Don't restocked it
3. Wait for new tankobon releases
4. Announce second season of the show with the new tankobon
5. Restock the game
6. ????
7. PROFIT!!

This one could rake a massive profit for Spike Chunsoft if they really did it.

Takao

Banned

Dragon Quest X - 649,412
Dragon Quest 25th Anniversary Collection - 387,114
Tales of Graces - 212,769
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World - 212,408
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - 171,924
Xenoblade Chronicles - 163,442
The Last Story - 157,359

2. Don't restocked it
5. Restock the game
6. ????
7. PROFIT!!

I'm sure all of the used game stores would love Spike Chunsoft for doing that.

L~A

2. Don't restocked it
5. Restock the game
6. ????
7. PROFIT!!

Yeah, but no. When I meant 'something special', I meant something that'd happen in the next few days, not in several weeks (I have to admit, I don't follow Attack on Titan news that much). That's waaaaay too risky, and so many potential sales being lost would be really dumb.

Sure, there's probably a good amount of DL sales, but the game is quite pricey... and lots of people really don't wanna go near digital-only games, so I don't think Spike-Chunsoft is really pushing for eShop sales.

For the inevitable sequel, I hope Spike-Chunsoft will be better prepared.

I totally agree with you Sammy. Youkai Watch has quite the potential, and the anime seems to be helping sales nicely. I really hope Level-5 won't get greedy and annulise the shit out of the series........ ah, who am I kidding, it's exactly what's going to happen. Or maybe they'll be a bit mroe clever and do an expansion, like Fantasy Life?

Prelude.

I'll keep saying la Wii and la Wii U because it sounds better to me, sorry

If I recall correctly, even some official commercials on italian television used the feminine article. There's really no right or wrong here.
Commercials are irrelevant, the Nintendo website and Wii/U OSes use the masculine. But if we ignore the "rule" it's still grammatically incorrect. Foreign terms that have no direct translation (Wii) use the masculine.

There's no rule really, and no right or wrong definitions either. Also, it's "La Wii" for Nintendo Italia itself, so no :p
What the hell would it have to do with the console's success and its audience of "unwashed masses"... lol, elitism is such a bad beast, I guess I'll stick with being part of the plebs. ;)
Good job at catching the irony.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow at GTA 5. Easily shows the weakness in Japanese HD game development.

Seriously. Console gaming is practically dead over there. Not a single million-selling title this year. Not even close.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Seriously. Console gaming is practically dead over there. Not a single million-selling title this year. Not even close.

The only expected home console million sellers for this generation will be very few

Mario Kart 8
Super Smash Bros. 4
Final Fantasy XIV / ...

And DQXI will likely outsell these 3 combined.

Mario007

The only expected home console million sellers for this generation will be very few

Mario Kart 8
Super Smash Bros. 4
Final Fantasy XIV / ...

And DQXI will likely outsell these 3 combined.
Did you mean FFXV? Because I doubt FF XIV will get up to a million. Also KH3 is missing from that list, as is RE7.

I deeply apologize...I'm in a crucial corporate meeting with other management at my company and I can't devote the time to Comgnet / Tsutaya numbers at the moment.

I will do them as soon as I have free access to my laptop...again, I apologize for the wait.

Madouu

I deeply apologize...I'm in a crucial corporate meeting with other management at my company and I can't devote the time to Comgnet / Tsutaya numbers at this specific time.

I will do them as soon as I have free access to my laptop again...again, I apologize for the wait.

Please Understand.

Come on Aquamarine, no need to apologize for this

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Please Understand.

Come on Aquamarine, no need to apologize for this

Nono, this is negligence. It's unacceptable.
Lady, you're out. OUT!!! O-U-T!!!

Go on with your meeting, I'll do the Comgnet chart this time

Nono, this is negligence. It's unacceptable.
Lady, you're out. OUT!!! O-U-T!!!

Go on with your meeting, I'll do the Comgnet chart this time

Let me do Tsutaya though...I want to add it to the archive and compute accuracy calculations...please? *stares with puppy dog eyes*

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Code:
[B][U]Comgnet Software Sales Rankings: Week 3, 2014 (Jan 13 - Jan 19)[/U][/B]

[b]1. [3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe &#8211; 131pt[/b]
2. [3DS] PazuDora Z: Puzzle & Dragons Z &#8211; 101pt
3. [3DS] Battle For Money Sentouchuu: Densetsu no Shinobi no Survival Battle! &#8211; 46pt
4. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds &#8211; 41pt
5. [PS3] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster &#8211; 36pt
6. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 &#8211; 34pt
7. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto 5 &#8211; 33pt
8. [PSV] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster Twin Pack &#8211; 19pt
9. [PS3] New Dynasty Warriors: Gundam &#8211; 18pt
10. [3DS]  Run For Money Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-Tachi Kara Nigekire! &#8211; 18pt
11. [WIU] Super Mario 3D World &#8211; 17pt
12. [3DS] Pokémon Y &#8211; 17pt
13. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 &#8211; 17pt
14. [PSV] New Dynasty Warriors: Gundam &#8211; 16pt
15. [3DS] Pokémon X &#8211; 16pt
16. [3DS] Kuma-Tomo &#8211; 15pt
17. [PSV] God Eater 2 &#8211; 14pt
18. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf &#8211; 14pt
19. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 &#8211; 14pt
20. [PS3] Battlefield 4 &#8211; 11pt
[B]* New releases are in bold
* 1 pt = 1 sale
3DS - 12
PS3 - 4
PSV - 3
WIU - 1[/B]

Here it is.

Let me do Tsutaya though...I want to add it to the archive and compute accuracy calculations...please? *stares with puppy dog eyes*

Tsutaya is all yours. No need of puppy dog eyes :D

Code:
[B][U]Comgnet Software Sales Rankings: Week 3, 2014 (Jan 13 - Jan 19)[/U][/B]

[b]1. [3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe – 131pt[/b]
2. [3DS] PazuDora Z: Puzzle & Dragons Z – 101pt
3. [3DS] Battle For Money Sentouchuu: Densetsu no Shinobi no Survival Battle! – 46pt
4. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds – 41pt
5. [PS3] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster – 36pt
6. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 – 34pt
7. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto 5 – 33pt
8. [PSV] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster Twin Pack – 19pt
9. [PS3] New Dynasty Warriors: Gundam – 18pt
10. [3DS]  Run For Money Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-Tachi Kara Nigekire! – 18pt
11. [WIU] Super Mario 3D World – 17pt
12. [3DS] Pokémon Y – 17pt
13. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 – 17pt
14. [PSV] New Dynasty Warriors: Gundam – 16pt
15. [3DS] Pokémon X – 16pt
16. [3DS] Kuma-Tomo – 15pt
17. [PSV] God Eater 2 – 14pt
18. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 14pt
19. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 – 14pt
20. [PS3] Battlefield 4 – 11pt
[B]* New releases are in bold
* 1 pt = 1 sale