• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 2, 2015 (Jan 05 - Jan 11)

hiska-kun

First day sellthrough

[3DS] Kenka Bancho 6 - 40-50% An okish start, but as you expect, the shipment is low

It seems the blog is complaining somehow about Majora's Mask release date. Just one month to accomulate pre-orders... it will be very difficult to guess the correct shipment

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The twitter also said 5m in Japan itself?

Isn't 3:1 ratio and 15m dl oversea a really good number for Brave Frontier.

Is there a difference between Brave Frontier and Brave Frontier RPG? Or are they different products altogether? Just asking since I'm looking at AppAnnie and there are different versions.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21./26. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2015 <SPT> (Konami) {2014.11.13} (¥8.208)
22./18. [3DS] Tomodachi Life # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.04.18} (¥4.800)
23./19. [WIU] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker <ADV> (Nintendo) {2014.11.13} (¥3.996)
24./20. [3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.01.11} (¥4.800)
25./24. [3DS] Mario Party: Island Tour <ETC> (Nintendo) {2014.03.20} (¥4.800)
26./22. [WIU] Taiko no Tatsujin: Tokumori! # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.11.20} (¥5.627)
27./32. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Don to Katsu no Jikuu Daibouken <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.06.26} (¥5.119)
28./33. [PSV] Phantasy Star Nova <RPG> (Sega) {2014.11.27} (¥6.458)
29./35. [PS3] Resident Evil HD Remaster # <ADV> (Capcom) {2014.11.27} (¥4.309)
30./34. [PS3] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2014.12.04} (¥8.424)
31./28. [WIU] Super Mario 3D World <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.11.21} (¥5.985)
32./30. [3DS] 12-Sai. Honto no Kimochi <ADV> (Happinet) {2014.12.18} (¥5.480)
33./23. [3DS] One Piece: Super Grand Battle! X <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.11.13} (¥6.145)
34./25. [3DS] Derby Stallion Gold <SLG> (Kadokawa Games) {2014.12.04} (¥6.264)
35./38. [3DS] Samurai Warriors: Chronicles 3 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.12.04} (¥6.264)
36./45. [PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.04.24} (¥6.664)
37./27. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.07.28} (¥4.800)
38./29. [3DS] Yoshi's New Island <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.07.24} (¥4.936)
39./00. [3DS] Mario Golf: World Tour <SPT> (Nintendo) {2014.05.01} (¥4.937)
40./48. [PS3] Dragon Age: Inquisition # <RPG> (Electronic Arts) {2014.11.27} (¥7.884)
41./36. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800)
42./43. [3DS] Dragon Quest X Online <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} (¥4.104)
43./00. [PS3] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Subtitled Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2014.11.13} (¥8.424)
44./00. [PSV] Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Out of Order # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.12.25} (¥6.664)
45./00. [PS3] Yakuza 1 & 2 HD Edition [PlayStation 3 the Best] <ADV> (Sega) {2014.12.11} (¥1.944)
46./46. [PS3] Assassin's Creed: Rogue <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2014.12.11} (¥7.992)
47./00. [PS3] Nobunaga's Ambition: Creation with Power-Up Kit # <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.12.11} (¥10.584)
48./00. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed Edition [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} (¥3.024)
49./00. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800)
50./41. [3DS] Style Savvy: Trendsetters - Tokimeki Up! <ETC> (Nintendo) {2014.04.17} (¥4.936)

Top 50

3DS - 28
PS3 - 12
WIU - 5
PSV - 4
PS4 - 1

SOFTWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    510.000 |  1.209.000 |    811.000 |  1.719.000 |  2.346.000 |

50./41. [3DS] Style Savvy: Trendsetters - Tokimeki Up! <ETC> (Nintendo) {2014.04.17} (¥4.936)

Now you understand why Girls Mode 3.

hiska-kun

Pre-orders of Majora's Mask started very strong in GamesMaya.
It's because it will be released very soon.
&#36817;&#12356;&#12379;&#12356;

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
http://www.serkantoto.com/2015/01/16/silicon-studio-japan-ipo/

Silicon Studio is having an IPO in February. They have over 300 employees between Japan and Thailand.

You will know them best for their large array of mobile titles such as Age of Ishtaria, Monster Takt, Fantastica (this one was actually pretty successful), Three Kingdoms Card Battle, and Muramasa: Princess Commander, along with their middleware businesses.

They also worked on 3D Dot Heroes and some handheld game I just can't remember. Mrgrgr.

Silicon Studio is having an IPO in February. They have over 300 employees between Japan and Thailand.

You will know them best for their large array of mobile titles such as Age of Ishtaria, Monster Takt, Fantastica (this one was actually pretty successful), Three Kingdoms Card Battle, and Muramasa: Princess Commander, along with their middleware businesses.

They also worked on 3D Dot Heroes and some handheld game I just can't remember. Mrgrgr.

Oh! You stubborn, contrary, crystal-headed mod, WHY MUST YOU REFUSE TO UNDERSTAND!?

MRGRGR!!!

Oregano

You can't remember it? Unacceptable!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Bravely Default did a lot better in the US than in Japan, I wonder if SE or Nintendo would consider them.
Generally you don't announce an IPO if you have an acquisition coming, since you only IPO if you think it will be better for you than an acquisition.

Buying a 300 person studio for a game made by like 30-50 people and only did around 1 million copies is also overkill.

Fularu

Banned
WiiU sold 500k last year....the year it got Smash and Mario Kart. I think we all know the WiiU is a dead system.
No, it sold 500k between april 1st and now

which is about the same as the PS4 within its release window

Both systems are dead and the only reason the ps4 has any future in Japan is thanks to the west

Both systems are dead and the only reason the ps4 has any future in Japan is thanks to the west
What?

It is not like there is no upcoming Japanese support for PS4? The support is slowly making its way there and 2015 looks good so far.

Oregano

Generally you don't announce an IPO if you have an acquisition coming, since you only IPO if you think it will be better for you than an acquisition.

Buying a 300 person studio for a game made by like 30-50 people and only did around 1 million copies is also overkill.

There's probably also next to no chance that Silicon Studio won't want to keep working on the series anyway.

Busaiku

I didn't even realize they were so big.
Wow, they're bigger than Atlus.

But I guess I was looking at them more through the lens as a game developer, rather than middleware.

crinale

It will be interesting to see where the PSV support goes if there's no successor.

I think the niche devs like NIS, D3, GUST will stick to PS4. Falcom has a sizeable audience on PS3/V and are delving into PS4.
All the big anime games, Naruto, DBZ, One Piece, SAO? will remain on PS4.
You have your monster hunting genre like God Eater, Tokiden Phantasy Star with several of them getting PS4 ports now (presumably for the West). I don't see the audience for those types of games going to PS4 so they will move to the 4DS.
What else is there? VN's? I don't know.

SaGa is a very interesting case. Its a big seller (relative to PSV's library) and is SE's first real push on the system, though I would not be surprised if this got a PS4 port.

Speaking of Falcom, the Japanese Stock Research Center's report (based on hearing from Falcom), their primary focus will be PS4/Vita..

Support is there thanks to the western sales

Otherwise the PS4 is a disaster in Japan

PS4 doing so well in the West is a good thing for Japanese devs. Many of their franchises (FF,KH,MGS,RE) accumulate the majority of sales in the West.

WiiU's YTD 2014 is 605k. PS4 YTD 2014 970k.
What are you trying to say?

Speaking of Falcom, the Japanese Stock Research Center's report (based on hearing from Falcom), their primary focus will be PS4/Vita..

Yeah thats what I'm expecting.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
ALTTP2 launch was quite unfortunate, though. It might have sold north to 500-550k units in launched a week earlier with enough stock.

Stock is not an excuse. If demand was really there it would sell. Launching one week earlier would mean something like 50k most at best.In theory OoT and MM are at worse position since both launched at "dead holiday" period.

Stock is not an excuse. If demand was really there it would sell. Launching one week earlier would mean something like 50k most at best.In theory OoT and MM are at worse position since both launched at "dead holiday" period.

I don't know. Stock matters as long as demand might fade over time because of other releases, or the general post-launch hype drop. I feel there were some cases where lack of stock affected sales, which were not eventually recouped because of gamers moved their attention somewhere else (i.e. Strange Journey on DS). Releasing ALTTP2 on week earlier would have meant having Week 51 AND Week 52, plus Week 1; more stock under holidays might be essential. Of course, OOT 3D and MM 3D are (are going to be) very popular. But that's only my opinion.

Kid Ying

This twitter got the top 10 for the 3ds, wiiu, ps4 and xone till now (famitsu)
https://mobile.twitter.com/oscarlemaire
In the end, Taiko wiiu sold 164k copies and the number ten of wiiu best sellers till now. Tokumori is actually following the usual pattern for a taiko game, which is selling less than the last, but i think it would be different since i was expecting for mario kart to bring more of an audience, which happened, but not by much.

I guess tokumori also got a bit of bad luck by being in a holiday which it had more competition for attention than the last. The last taiko on the Wii broke the pattern when it had no other releases on the system, so it was the only one people with the system would get if they wanted a new game. Captainbtoad and smash killed a couple of sales taiko could've had, i guess.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Nintendo went the opposite route with Majora's Mask this time. Cheaper than Ocarina of Time on N64, more expensive on 3DS.

Fularu

Banned
PS4 doing so well in the West is a good thing for Japanese devs. Many of their franchises (FF,KH,MGS,RE) accumulate the majority of sales in the West.

WiiU's YTD 2014 is 605k. PS4 YTD 2014 970k.
What are you trying to say?.

That without the first two weeks (launch weeks), PS4 is barely above the WiiU as far as sales go and is tracking significantly behind the WiiU launch aligned so.. what exactly are YOU trying to say?

You do realise that they prety much sold the same amount of units overall since april right? So if the WiiU is dead (which it is), what does that say about the PS4?

Sony should be thankfull that the PS4 is selling so well in the west, otherwise they'd have a serious problem as far as japanese third party support goes (which has prety much dwindled to franchises that sell well if not better in the west than in Japan now).

Digimon (PSV) and Seven Deadly Sins (3DS) showed up in COMG today, for anyone interested (meaning that Bandai Namco now take up half the SKU slots on the chart).

Legend of Legacy is doing pretty well on there too.

Mory Dunz

Sony should be thankfull that the PS4 is selling so well in the west, otherwise they'd have a serious problem as far as japanese third party support goes (which has prety much dwindled to franchises that sell well if not better in the west than in Japan now).

thankful.jpg

Colombo

It's sad how bad home consoles sell in Japan nowadays. The Wii U won't reach 3 million LTD in 2015 and the PS4 may be upwards of 2m LTD by the end of the year if it manages 1 millon sales. 1 million consoles sold a year is now a big number. Amazing that the Wii and PS3 sold over 22 million systems between them.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
It's sad how bad home consoles sell in Japan nowadays. The Wii U won't reach 3 million LTD in 2015 and the PS4 may be upwards of 2m LTD by the end of the year if it manages 1 millon sales. 1 million consoles sold a year is now a big number. Amazing that the Wii and PS3 sold over 22 million systems between them.

Honestly the PS3 on average sold a bit more than 1M (around and a bit above 1.5M in its better years) each year, so it was slow but steady.

KtSlime

I don't think of it as sad, I think it is pretty awesome how gaming has exploded in popularity and accessibility here by portable systems becoming increasingly capable.

That without the first two weeks (launch weeks), PS4 is barely above the WiiU as far as sales go and is tracking significantly behind the WiiU launch aligned so.. what exactly are YOU trying to say?

You do realise that they prety much sold the same amount of units overall since april right? So if the WiiU is dead (which it is), what does that say about the PS4?

The Wii U sold what it sold in the presence of two of the biggest games it will get in the cycle. It has saturated most of its market potential. Those are the distinctions.

The PS4 is overall going to do poorly in Japan. It will probably top out at around 5M or thereabouts. But it has yet to receive much in the way of locally appealing software, it is still set to receive software support beyond that of the hardware vendor, and has not shown as yet that it is reaching product saturation that would lead one to ascribe dead system status.

Vena

If I may ask, what is ALTTP2? I can't place the abbreviation and its confusing me as to what people are discussing on this page, lol.

Top Bottom