• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 20, 2014 (May 12 - May 18)

CassSept

Next week. Mario Kart is coming.

Mario Kart is coming, so probably next week.

I know, I'm just wondering if this will happen in next MC (current week) or the one after that. I know how the console are trending but I wonder if Mario Kart on the horizon will be enough to push WiiU over PS4.

PS4 is in freefall though I guess. 0 is the limit.

The Wii U won't overtake the PS4; the PS4 will undertake the Wii U.

Fair enough.

JP gaming industry is becoming a joke for dedicated gaming. In terms of software output and sales.

They still make some of the best games though ;__;

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
The next "big" release will be on the 6th of June. Well more just because its Persona Q and am curious to see how that drives 3DS sales.

Well there is the 29th also with Mario Kart 8 on the WiiU.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
When was the last Ps4 game released? Feels like its been at least six weeks.

I wonder what Sony was thinking. Did they expect the console to sell without any games?
I mean there is literally nothing. It not like releases are few and far apart. There is just nothing.
I wonder how long it'll take for software support to kick in on Ps4.

Sony obviously thought it would sell on hype alone. Dat serious misreading of the market

thefro

With only a 51 unit spread in the Famitsu tracker I wonder if Wii U might be ahead of the PS4 in the Media-Create tracker.

cacildo

Gonna take advantage of this depressing moment and ask

What does YTD | Last YTD | LTD means?

When i think i understand they somehow appear to mean something else

(i also have trouble with stuff like IMO, IDK, LTTP. Been searching google every time these kind of stuff pops up)

2633175-b00dc7g2w8_finishline_lg.jpg

Dont worry Japanese games industry, they're coming to save you !

L~A

Gonna take advantage of this depressing moment and ask

What does YTD | Last YTD | LTD means?

When i think i understand they somehow appear to mean something else

(i also have trouble with stuff like IMO, IDK, LTTP. Been searching google every time these kind of stuff pops up)

YTD : Year to Date (total sales for the year)
Last YTD : total sales for the year, but up until the same week (here, total sales in 2013 up until week 20.)
LTD : Life to Date. (total sales since console launch)

Yagharek

This is so bad it's compulsive viewing. PS4 was never expected to flail like this, surely?

When does it get a meaningful software release?

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Damn at those PS4 numbers. What's the next big game on the horizon for PS4 in Japan?

cacildo

YTD : Year to Date (total sales for the year)
Last YTD : total sales for the year, but up until the same week (here, total sales in 2013 up until week 20.)
LTD : Life to Date. (total sales since console launch)

Thanks. Was gonna ask about the Last YTD before i saw your edit

So the WiiU is almost beating last year sales, and we are still in may

Last year was really terrible

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
serious question, Can the PS4 beat the Wii U LTD by the end of the year?

I higlhy doubt it
It should sell 1.2 million (more or less: 1.7 - 500k) with the Wii U selling zero.
Actually they are selling almost similar qeekly quantities; Wii U is getting MK8 and SMash (I presume) within the year (two big sellers, potentially), and even last year the console saw a Christmas holiday effect. PS4 to me has much more potential, but up to now it seems that for 2014 it will have few Japanese heavy sellers (considering how PS3 is still getting exclusive interesting games, like Tales of).
So, if we imagine to see PS4 selling better than the Wii U because of more games incoming, but the Wii U having a slighlty stronger holiday bump and two "system sellers" (compared to the Wii U usual weekly sales) I'd say that it will be hard for PS4 to match the Wii U LTD by the end of the year

This is so bad it's compulsive viewing. PS4 was never expected to flail like this, surely?

When does it get a meaningful software release?

I think this is the issue

At least overseas the system is getting a steady stream of software from Indies/AAA with E3 on the horizon

Though we all bought the PS4 on launch hype alone it seems (there are several great games)

Until Japan gets on board with making games people want I am not sure it will take off at all.

Not gonna lie I kind of like having Vita leading the Sony charge in the region even if it isn't spectacular. Really hoping Vita gets some big jumps for Freedom Wars and whatever else is in the pipeline

orioto

Good Art™
So yeah, we knew all that.

_Japan doesn't like overpriced heavy tech new consoles full of fps.
_3DS is at the end of its life
_Vita could (i think) be the new thing to refresh the market but it's just not supported enough..

Basically i think what Japan needs is something to refresh the portable market to be alive again. That should be from Nintendo (or sony.. with a PS3 compatible gamepad like tablet ?)

Evenflow

So....

Do people think the PS4 will end this generation having sold more units then the Wii U in Japan?

After Kart, Smash, and X this year vs. absolutely nothing for PS4, Wii U should dominate especially this holiday. The gap will be huge, I don't see the PS4 catching up untill 2017 at the earliest, if ever, and only then because Nintendo has launched a new system. Western games are not gonna sell PS4's and it could be years before we see Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, MGS, etc. That said I don't expect a ltd of more than 5-6 million for either so it really is a race to the bottom.

Taker666

1 week to go before MK8. I wonder if WiiU will reach below 5k next week.

Unlikely. There's no Mario Kart 8 hardware bundle in Japan (for some bizarre reason) so sales will likely boost a bit this week.

They really should have made a bundle for Japan/dropped the hardware price (I don't think Japan has had a price cut since launch..just more stuff bundled).

Top Bottom