• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 20, 2014 (May 12 - May 18)

ZhugeEX

Banned
Anyone else been following the sales of Samurai Warriors 4.

KOEI sold in 340,000 units during release week so that's fairly good seeing as Samurai Warriors 3 for the Wii sold in 270,000 in the first week and 320,000 units lifetime and Samurai Warriors 3Z for the PS3 sold in 350,000 units.

According to Famitsu it's already at 325k physical sales and 335k with digital sales so it's fairly safe to say that KOEI have probably shipped more copies to retail.

I can see this game eventually getting to over 370,000 units sold through which would make it the most successful Samurai Warriors game of the generation.

Kodaman

LaGP1Q3.png

Came here expecting this.

Gaf never disappoints.

What do people think the PS4 will even be selling once games like MGS5 and FF15 release? I think it's getting to the point where it's obvious that the PS4 is not going to sell as much as the PS3, hardware and especially software. Also I wouldn't be surprised if it takes the PS4 a very long time to outsell the WiiU.

NeonZ

Hey, I am not doubting there is alot of RPG's on PSP and DS. What I am stating is the quality of the JRPG's. When was the last time we got an actual good final fantasy? You can look at Atlus and its cool they made SMT IV, but looking at Nocturne to me its a step back. Nothing like Digital Devil Saga or any of the usual stuff they used to make. The quality in RPG's are average or slightly above average and I think the Japanese gamers see this as well. No one is going to go out of there way to get an average or "great" game all the time. People want quality.

SMTIV sold better than Nocturne though, both in Japan and North America... If anything, it's Nocturne's sales, in spite of its higher production values, that hurt the future of the franchise back then.

I am not saying there was not any great jrpgs. But to call them the best games is okay for this generation at this moment in time, yes they are the best. But if this is the best, what do you call the games back from snes, ps1 and ps2 days? Great is exactly that good no more no less. The people in Japan feel that way too, which is probably way the output is declining. The people have spoken they are not getting what they want over there software-wise.

PS1/SNES has so many jrpgs and so its expected they would have more high quality ones.

Personally, my favourite jrpgs of this gen stand up with my favourites of the PS1/SNES era.

Sales have never shown quality, and with pretty much every franchise declining since Ps1 I don't declining sales is a testament to declining quality.

Japan is simply moving towards smartphones it seems.

RalchAC

What do people think the PS4 will even be selling once games like MGS5 and FF15 release? I think it's getting to the point where it's obvious that the PS4 is not going to sell as much as the PS3, hardware and especially software. Also I wouldn't be surprised if it takes the PS4 a very long time to outsell the WiiU.

My god. The console has been in the market for 3 months... do you really think you can see how it'll do during the next 4 years based on so little information?

There is no software, so there is no interest. News at eleven. The PS3 already had a shitty start. And even if it wasn't as shitty, when you're selling less than 10k units, it doesn't matter if its worse week it sold 7 or 6 thousand units. Both results are shit.

At this point, we don't have the necesary samples to predict its results IMO. MGS5 won't do that much though, since Konami has already said it's cross-gen. So we should expect a similar split to Ground Zeroes (which was around 70/30 iirc) or something slightly better if by then some more people has migrated.

pixelbox

Well the PS4 is the most expensive console on the market over there. Coupled with the fact that all of the games released were cross platform. But I was wondering, isn't all forms of media in the decline in Japan like anime?

pixelbox

The point was that you were drooling on Nintendo's failure while your platform got trashed.

Where in that post was I drooling? I'll make it easier for you and quote it for you, k?

"Im referring to members putting vita in the hot seat for selling so poorly when the wii u is selling much worse, and after the wii at that. Then have the nerve to complain at my goal post comment when if this were last gen, the 3ds would've been the a "failure". The 3ds would be lucky to get psp's numbers after all is said and done. As smokey said, vita is not doing great but it's not going anywhere either. The revisions and vita tv are indicators.

Truth is handhelds are doing poorly in general and if Sony or Nintendo wants it to prevail, they need to do something drastic. Pokemon and Mon Hun are not enough to stop or even slow the plunge but atleast what sony is doing with making the vita a companion and stream box could breath new life in the way handhelds are viewed."

gngf123

Why are people acting like they knew the ps 4 would be selling the way it is (or isn't for that matter)?
People have been saying this would happen for years now. Japan is very much handheld and mobile centric. It is not new or surprising, just sad to see sales constantly decreasing.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
My god. The console has been in the market for 3 months... do you really think you can see how it'll do during the next 4 years based on so little information?

There is no software, so there is no interest. News at eleven. The PS3 already had a shitty start. And even if it wasn't as shitty, when you're selling less than 10k units, it doesn't matter if its worse week it sold 7 or 6 thousand units. Both results are shit.

At this point, we don't have the necesary samples to predict its results IMO. MGS5 won't do that much though, since Konami has already said it's cross-gen. So we should expect a similar split to Ground Zeroes (which was around 70/30 iirc) or something slightly better if by then some more people has migrated.

TBF it's not a crazy prediction or analysis. PS3 was much more expensive than the PS4 and still sold better. It's doesn't take a genius to see where the wind is blowing in the Japanese market.

Type-Zero

SMTIV sold better than Nocturne though, both in Japan and North America... If anything, it's Nocturne's sales, in spite of its higher production values, that hurt the future of the franchise back then.

Well you have to remember when Nocturne came out, almost no one knew what Shin Megami Tensei even meant. SMT IV is blessed with the fact the brand is new relatively well known due to infamous difficulty of Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, Persona 3 and 4. Plus you even had a few on the DS Strange Journey and Devil children, the DS had a huge userbase and just seeing two SMT games on the wall can do wonders.

When you go from this:

SMT 1

Shin%20Megami%20Tensei%20(Japan)%20[En%20by%20Aeon%20Genesis%20v1.0]001.png

SMT 2

SNES--Shin%20Megami%20Tensei%20II_Oct1%2017_19_34.png

To this :

SMT 3 aka Nocturne

611526-582958_20041012_010.jpg

Back to this:

SMT 4

battle.jpg

That is a downgrade.

PS1/SNES has so many jrpgs and so its expected they would have more high quality ones.

Personally, my favourite jrpgs of this gen stand up with my favourites of the PS1/SNES era.

Sales have never shown quality, and with pretty much every franchise declining since Ps1 I don't declining sales is a testament to declining quality.

Japan is simply moving towards smartphones it seems.

Ok your favorite rpgs this gen stand up to the old ones. But how about instead of standing up it actually walk past or possibly run past what you once liked, No one is gonna jump up for joy and pay $300 + for something to be able to stand up to something. they already had. Even if they buy it I'm sure they know they want better.

"Japan is simply moving towards smartphones it seems"

No one simply does something for no reason. You don't leave your home and simply go live in a cardboard box. They are leaving for a reason, they are not getting what they want, they go somewhere else. Not as much of a mystery as people make it out to be.

I'm talking about the other bolded parts.

Where in that post was I drooling? I'll make it easier for you and quote it for you, k?

"Im referring to members putting vita in the hot seat for selling so poorly when the wii u is selling much worse, and after the wii at that. Then have the nerve to complain at my goal post comment when if this were last gen, the 3ds would've been the a "failure". The 3ds would be lucky to get psp's numbers after all is said and done. As smokey said, vita is not doing great but it's not going anywhere either. The revisions and vita tv are indicators.

Truth is handhelds are doing poorly in general and if Sony or Nintendo wants it to prevail, they need to do something drastic. Pokemon and Mon Hun are not enough to stop or even slow the plunge but atleast what sony is doing with making the vita a companion and stream box could breath new life in the way handhelds are viewed."

Deflecting seems to be something that you like to do. I mean, if mine is not doing fine, everything is bad, right? Keep the same quote that you said there and add this one

But I was wondering, isn't all forms of media in the decline in Japan like anime?

With that, you can easily negate any bad news, after all like some people on this threads would joke "It were the heat waves".

pixelbox

People have been saying this would happen for years now. Japan is very much handheld and mobile centric. It is not new or surprising, just sad to see sales constantly decreasing.

I would Imagine people thought PS4 was going to INVIGORATE the industry with ease of use kits and overall improvements to hardware and OS. Everyone is too scare to take a risk anywhere.

pixelbox

Deflecting seems to be something that you like to do. I mean, if mine is not doing fine, everything is bad, right? Keep the same quote that you said there and add this one

One, I wasn't wrong in my assessments. Two, you pull one post from a thread that was derailled anyway. You're taking that post out of context, which is what people like you often do to prove your points.

With that, you can easily negate any bad news, after all like some people on this threads would joke "It were the heat waves".

The reason for this post was to move on from this banter and discuss the matter at hand, which is the terrible state Japan seems to be in.

Fularu

Banned
@Pixelbox

There's an "Edit" button next to your post, can you please use that instead of double posting all the time, it makes it difficult to follow the thread.

I'm honestly not so sure the PS4 will have outsold the WiiU by the time the next Nintendo home system comes out.

I mean the PS4 is already selling below the PS3 and got to 6k faster than the WiiU

That's incredibly bad news for Sony in Japan.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
ItIt's not justifiable anywhere. Both situations are not the same so it's not comparable. The Wii U was release holiday season, PS4 was not. Wii U had games that catered to the Japanese (Nintendo titles as well), PS4 has little to none. PS4 costs more than the Wii U. You simply can't compare situations other than both being next Gen hardware.
And whose fault is all of that?

By all means we should compare PS4 and WiiU.

StoopKid

I wonder about Sony's decision to launch outside of Japan first. Japan's losing interest in the console space and instead of trying to drum up some excitement, they treat their home territory like a red-headed stepchild. If I was a Japanese gamer, I'd be pissed.

It's simple the ps4 sales are more important in the us and Europe than japan to sony. Ms sold 80 million without japan.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
@Pixelbox

There's an "Edit" button next to your post, can you please use that instead of double posting all the time, it makes it difficult to follow the thread.

I'm honestly not so sure the PS4 will have outsold the WiiU by the time the next Nintendo home system comes out.

I mean the PS4 is already selling below the PS3 and got to 6k faster than the WiiU

That's incredibly bad news for Sony in Japan.

But the holidays!

Fularu

Banned
It's simple the ps4 sales are more important in the us and Europe than japan to sony. Ms sold 80 million without japan.

Sony sold 135 million PS2 without Japan, that doesn't mean the japanese gaming industry didn't contribute for most of those sales
But the holidays!

The PS2 and the PS4 were released roughly at the same time (calendar wise), that never prevented the PS2 from selling. It's a weak argument used by people who don't have anything else to try and explain the situation. Nevermind the fact that the 3DS, the DS Lite and the PS2 all released during the winter and sold insane amounts (I mean the PS4 is still behind the 3DS when it was at week 2)

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Sony sold 135 million PS2 without Japan, that doesn't mean the japanese gaming industry didn't contribute for most of those sales

The PS2 and the PS4 were released roughly at the same time (calendar wise), that never prevented the PS2 from selling. It's a weak argument used by people who don't have anything else to try and explain the situation. Nevermind the fact that the 3DS, the DS Lite and the PS2 all released during the winter and sold insane amounts (I mean the PS4 is still behind the 3DS when it was at week 2)

I wasn't being serious when I threw out 'the holidays!' Just parroting some people's excuses

Times have changed though. HD consoles sold about 150 million systems outside of Japan last gen and input of Japanese industry to that was pretty minimal.

I don't think anyone thinks that holiday launch would have somehow made PS4 sell like 3DS, PS2 or other other highly succesful systems. It's just that comparisons to other failed systems like PS3 and WiiU are harder because of different launch periods. PS3 was also selling sub 10k numbers back in May 2007 and WiiU sold sub 10k numbers last May. Spring is a lot slower period for the market compared to January/February (eleventh week for PS3 was in January and for WiiU in February).

I wonder how big the used game market is in Japan these days. There has to be some truth to the notion that Japanese people didn't just move to handhelds because handhelds. When the PS3 failed to carry the 3rd party torch of a constant stream of quality games and devs moved to handhelds to continue producing games at a manageable scale, of course people weren't going to drop a ton of money on a console with no games (PS3). And while the Wii was a huge success, stores that sold used games must have been chock full of an incredible backlog of PS2 games, waiting for people who had just come off the PS2 to play. It's too bad there's no real way to measure or track the sale of used games.

Sony's failure to prepare for the drought that would befall the console on Japan is completely ridiculous. It's as if the company has already completely given up on the PS4 and is throwing all of its weight behind the Vita. Which just may be the case. If anything, Sony should be working with SEGA and Namco to ensure Tales and Persona receive a PS4 ver. this year. Of course, it's probably too late for that (and perhaps the hardware is too different). BC support could have possibly helped Sony out in Japan.

Fularu

Banned
Times have changed though. HD consoles sold about 150 million systems outside of Japan last gen and input of Japanese industry to that was pretty minimal.

That's discarding the Wii which sold 100 million units on the sole strenght of japanese software, or the DS/PSP which sold, combined, more than 230 million units, again on the sole strenght of japanese software.

I don't think anyone thinks that holiday launch would have somehow made PS4 sell like 3DS, PS2 or other other highly succesful systems. It's just that comparisons to other failed systems like PS3 and WiiU are harder because of different launch periods. PS3 was also selling sub 10k numbers back in May 2007 and WiiU sold sub 10k numbers last May. Spring is a lot slower period for the market compared to January/February (eleventh week for PS3 was in January and for WiiU in February).
The PS4 launched with system launches like numbers then died prety fast (faster than even the WiiU), launching in december wouldn't have changed any of that.

Also it took what, 22 weeks for the PS3 to reach sub 10k? Compared to less than 9 for the PS4?

Yagharek

I just hope this is the low point for the Japanese console market, because if things are going to get worse it is unthinkable what that might mean.

StoopKid

The point is you can still get great console sales without japan. I don't think it's as Important to have great japan sales now then it was during the ps2 days.

Fularu

Banned
The point is you can still get great console sales without japan. I don't think it's as Important to have great japan sales now then it was during the ps2 days.

You missed the point. During the PS2 generation, sony sold less than 15% of its consoles in Japan. For the PS3 it's again, about the same. Japan's strenght was never in the numbers of units sold but in its hability to move hardware/software on a global scale.

This never stopped beeing true, the software just switched plateform/focus (going from "state of the art" hardware to mostly PS2 gen/handheld hardware).

If not for its software, then why are people buying the 3DS?

Tripon

19./00. [PS3] Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed <RCE> (Sega) {2014.05.15} (¥7.538) - 2.724 / NEW <20-40%>

24./00. [WIU] Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed <RCE> (Sega) {2014.05.15} (¥7.538) - 2.242 / NEW <20-40%>

What the heck was Sega thinking releasing these two versions at ¥7.538 and two weeks before Mario Kart 8?

StoopKid

You missed the point. During the PS2 generation, sony sold less than 15% of its consoles in Japan. For the PS3 it's again, about the same. Japan's strenght was never in the numbers of units sold but in its hability to move hardware/software on a global scale.

This never stopped beeing true, the software just switched plateform/focus (going from "state of the art" hardware to mostly PS2 gen/handheld hardware).

If not for its software, then why are people buying the 3DS?

Not really sure what your talking about ? I never said anything about ps4 software in japan. All I said was the us and uk were more important to sony then japan and that they can still have great sales without japan.

pixelbox

And whose fault is all of that?

By all means we should compare PS4 and WiiU.

Why are total worldwide sales being mentioned in a Japanese sales thread? Further-more the DS, 3DS, PS2, and Wii release with compelling software out the gate. But your point is definitely valid. So it seems to be software then?

BlackJace

Well you have to remember when Nocturne came out, almost no one knew what Shin Megami Tensei even meant. SMT IV is blessed with the fact the brand is new relatively well known due to infamous difficulty of Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, Persona 3 and 4. Plus you even had a few on the DS Strange Journey and Devil children, the DS had a huge userbase and just seeing two SMT games on the wall can do wonders.

When you go from this:

SMT 1

Shin%20Megami%20Tensei%20(Japan)%20[En%20by%20Aeon%20Genesis%20v1.0]001.png

SMT 2

SNES--Shin%20Megami%20Tensei%20II_Oct1%2017_19_34.png

To this :

SMT 3 aka Nocturne

611526-582958_20041012_010.jpg

Back to this:

SMT 4

battle.jpg

That is a downgrade.

You're making a mistake here. Aeana made a good point in that SMT 4 is an evolution of what 1 and 2 did to the series. You can even see it in the pictures with the whole first person battles angle. It's still very noticeable how different 3 is in comparison. Downgrade is an absolutely poor word to use imo.

That's discarding the Wii which sold 100 million units on the sole strenght of japanese software, or the DS/PSP which sold, combined, more than 230 million units, again on the sole strenght of japanese software.

Wii sold on motions controls and how Nintendo was able to utilize them. That market has long gone. I don't think I have to say anything about state of current handheld market outside of Japan... Traditional home console market is dominated by western publishers and Japanese publishers have very little input to that.

The PS4 launched with system launches like numbers then died prety fast (faster than even the WiiU), launching in december wouldn't have changed any of that.

Also it took what, 22 weeks for the PS3 to reach sub 10k? Compared to less than 9 for the PS4?

It would have definitely made a small difference. It's different to have your launch in november/december and then slow period than in february and then slow period. Even without games your baseline sales are higher during first quarter of the year. Well I guess it's kinda pointless to debate about this as the numbers for all three are so horrible.

pixelbox

And this is what I was referring to. If PS4 launched in November/December the numbers would have stayed higher, longer and dropped like a rock around this time. Atleast, that's what I believe.

It would have definitely made a small difference. It's different to have your launch in november/december and then slow period than in february and then slow period. Even without games your baseline sales are higher during first quarter of the year. Well I guess it's kinda pointless to debate about this as the numbers for all three are so horrible.

This.

We knew the wii U was going to fail before it even released, you can see things coming ahead of time. It's not just 3 months of data either, we already know the PS4 software line-up for some time and it's not like things are going to get any better. This is basically the worst start we have ever seen for a home console and the future SW line-up looks bleak. It's easy to just say 'wait for the games' but what games are we even waiting for this gen?

It's still a big loss. Sure you can still sell a lot but it sucks to basically lose all your sales from what was once a pretty big region.

That plus there is also the impact this has in terms of developer support. Japanese devs are going to have no choice but to basically go to handheld/mobile completely (probably a lot more mobile actually). Surely this loss of developer support will have some impact on home consoles going forward. It's easy to say that western devs will back up the slack but if anything they have been dying off and scaling back as well last gen.

Edit: With the release of the Wii U, PS4, xbone, 3DS and vita we have had to listen to the same old 'just wait for the games line'. Even in the western markets the line-up is pretty barren for all of these consoles (though it hasn't had as big an impact on sales admittedly). Maybe it's time to realise that there simply isn't as many games being made for dedicated consoles anymore.

Soriku

Hey, I am not doubting there is alot of RPG's on PSP and DS. What I am stating is the quality of the JRPG's. When was the last time we got an actual good final fantasy? You can look at Atlus and its cool they made SMT IV, but looking at Nocturne to me its a step back. Nothing like Digital Devil Saga or any of the usual stuff they used to make. The quality in RPG's are average or slightly above average and I think the Japanese gamers see this as well. No one is going to go out of there way to get an average or "great" game all the time. People want quality.

SE slumped but they're one company. Atlus made a lot of good handheld RPGs.

pixelbox

Here are the launch titles for some platforms. You can clear see a decline in Japanese software and quality. I mean...

DS LAUNCH TITLES
Daigasso! Band Brothers (Nintendo)
Chokkan Hitofude (Polarium) (Nintendo)
Cool104 Joker & Setline (Aruze)
Kimi no Tame Nara Shineru (literally "I Would Die for You"; aka Feel the Magic: XY/XX aka "Project Rub") (Sega)
Kensy&#363;i "Dokuta Tendo" (Spike)
Mahjong Taikai (Koei)
Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits (Namco)
Pokémon Dash (Nintendo)
Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)
The Urbz: Sims in the City (Electronic Arts)
WarioWare: Touched! (Nintendo)
Zoo Keeper (Success)

3DS LAUNCH TITLES
Nintendogs & Cats
Winning Eleven Soccer 3D
Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
Samurai Warriors: Chronicle
Puzzle Bobble 3D
Ridge Racer 3D
Battle of the Giants: Dinosaurs 3D
Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle

Wii U LAUNCH TITLES
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
New Super Mario Bros. U
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition,
Nintendo Land
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge,
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
Assassin's Creed III
Zombie U
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition.

Wii LAUNCH TITLES
Crayon Shin-chan: Saikyou Kazoku Kasukabe King Wii
Elebits
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Red Steel
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
Tamagotchi: Party On!/Tamagotchi's Sparkling President
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Wii Play
Wing Island
Ennichi no Tatsujin
Kororinpa: Marble Mania
Necro-Nesia
SD Gundam G Breaker
Super Swing Golf
WarioWare: Smooth Moves
Wii Sports

PS4 LAUNCH TITLES
assassin's Creed 4
Battlefield 4
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Doki-Doki Universe
Dream Club: Host Girls on Stage
Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends
FIFA 14
Hohokum
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Knack
Natural Doctrine
Puzzle 4 Sudoku
Tottemo E Mahjong Plus
Resogun
Strider
Yakuza: Restoration

LOCK

I wonder how MK8 will affect hardware, and it's lasting effects.

Plus the release schedule is better:

MK8 - May 30
One Piece Unlimited World Red - June 12
PAC World - June 25
Kamen Rider - June 26
Monster Hunter Frontier G5 - July 23
Wii Sports Club digital/retail - July 26
Hyrule Warriors - August 14

Yes some of these games will only sell 10k LTD (MH), the schedule is better. I think Wii Sports can do 100k or more. Hyrule Warriors probably 200k. If Nintendo would finally announce Bayo 2's release date, we could be in for a good summer.

AniHawk

MK8 - May 30
PAC World - June 25
Kamen Rider - June 26

Yes some of these games will only sell 10k LTD (MH), the schedule is better. I think Wii Sports can do 100k or more. Hyrule Warriors probably 200k. If Nintendo would finally announce Bayo 2's release date, we could be in for a good summer.

that's actually a fairly decent schedule, even if not a lot of those are going to set the charts aflame. i mean, in the sense that there's an actual schedule of games coming out, unlike last year.

DaBoss

I believe Bayonetta 2 is coming out in the summer as well. Could be a July release or early-mid September. I doubt they would want to put it in August along with Hyrule Warriors.

Mory Dunz

MK8 - May 30
PAC World - June 25
Kamen Rider - June 26

I'd probably cut those in half, but I hope I'm wrong.

Top Bottom