• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 20, 2014 (May 12 - May 18)

Wii U will get a big boost from MK8 I think. Forget the game but it got a massive boost in the past from a big release.

Sony just has to weather this storm till 2015. It is only going to get uglier.

2015 will hit, there will be big releases quite often and things will start to pick up.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
that's actually a fairly decent schedule, even if not a lot of those are going to set the charts aflame. i mean, in the sense that there's an actual schedule of games coming out, unlike last year.

Plus you have 3D World, Just Dance Wii U and Famicom Remix 1 & 2 Retail still at the bottom of the charts. Those games might get a boost along w/ MK8 (especially 3D World imo).

LOCK

Plus you have 3D World, Just Dance Wii U and Famicom Remix 1 & 2 Retail still at the bottom of the charts. Those games might get a boost along w/ MK8 (especially 3D World imo).
There is usually a delayed effect for some games. They decrease on major title weeks, but then pick back up above average once that major title has been out a few weeks. People buy a console for a game, beat that game, then look for more games to try. Of course this could be totally opposite for people.

But yeah I hope we see same week improvements for SM3DW and DCTF in particular.

(For discussion from few pages ago) Are there a substantial portion of people buying the systems and not buying any games?

This comes back to an older discussion on system sellers and tipping points for purchase. The cross-gen software has been sufficient to tip the balance to a purchase, it has sold systems now, even if the consumer is really more interested in software yet to come.

So no, the new consoles aren't just selling "on hype."

LOCK

(For discussion from few pages ago) Are there a substantial portion of people buying the systems and not buying any games?

This comes back to an older discussion on system sellers and tipping points for purchase. The cross-gen software has been sufficient to tip the balance to a purchase, it has sold systems now, even if the consumer is really more interested in software yet to come.

This is doubly hard to tell with PS4 because of F2P games. Though I do agree with your assessment.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Right, the PS4 in Japan versus the rest of the world is a great example of this.

In Japan no one is buying a PS4 because the games that really appeal to the region are years out and there's almost nothing interesting to play now.

In the West, you can get games in the majority of major franchises right now and they're notably better on the new systems than the old ones, with more on the way.

There's also several notable titles only on PS4/XB1 (Assassin's Creed: Unity, Arkham Knight) coming in the near future, along with some out or almost out for more "niche" (by modern standards) interests (UFC, Infamous, Dead Rising 3, Forza, Killzone).

Beyond that anyone who has ever experienced a generation transition knows that there's even more on top of that. If you experienced the PS2 -> PS3 shift in Japan, you would likely not be nearly as happy with the early lifecycle or the prognosis the announced line-up suggests for PS4.

It's really a combination of what's out now (because why buy something you're not using) and what's in the immediately future. Without the former though, people don't pick up the box in the first place and just wait until there's something to do.

KtSlime

There is usually a delayed effect for some games. They decrease on major title weeks, but then pick back up above average once that major title has been out a few weeks. People buy a console for a game, beat that game, then look for more games to try. Of course this could be totally opposite for people.

But yeah I hope we see same week improvements for SM3DW and DCTF in particular.

The try two games buy at 40% off deal shouldn't hurt either.

Takao

Banned
Sega has filed a trademark for Shenmue in Japan:
6R0jpnH.gif

http://blog.hokanko-alt.com/archives/38960284.html

Bandai Namco trademarked XUCCESS HEAVEN (Gundam game?).

Capcom got MH4G.

Sony and iOSquare Enix also trademarked some things. I don't know what those ones are, so no thread.

Fularu

Banned
Wii sold on motions controls and how Nintendo was able to utilize them. That market has long gone. I don't think I have to say anything about state of current handheld market outside of Japan... Traditional home console market is dominated by western publishers and Japanese publishers have very little input to that.

That software was thought of and made in Japan. You don't sell 35 million Mario Kart Wii because it has motion control, you sell them because they appeal to people and they want to play the game. Same with prety much every non motion game Nintendo released for the Wii. Also don't forget that Wii Sports (a japanese game) is what sold people on the Wii, they wanted to play that game, not the simple notion of motion controls (which the PS3 also had from day one).

It would have definitely made a small difference. It's different to have your launch in november/december and then slow period than in february and then slow period. Even without games your baseline sales are higher during first quarter of the year. Well I guess it's kinda pointless to debate about this as the numbers for all three are so horrible.
Hardly, the PS3 tanked and that released in a november (as a matter of fact, the PS3 had a slow start and a slow descent into irrelevancy before the redesign).

Unfortunately, those games are all also on systems consumers already own, so while the games will sell gangbusters, it's unlikely that the consoles will.

Some gaffers said the same thing last year, and look how well the PS4/Xbone and the games on them are selling. The matter of the fact is people in the west are moving on to next gen much more quickly then previous gens and it shows. COD/AC etc.... will sell truckloads of games on next gen consoles, and sell consoles to their audience.

Tripon

Some gaffers said the same thing last year, and look how well the PS4/Xbone and the games on them are selling. The matter of the fact is people in the west are moving on to next gen much more quickly then previous gens and it shows. COD/AC etc.... will sell truckloads of games on next gen consoles, and sell consoles to their audience.

We already got some evidence that cross gen games just split the userbase instead of driving overall sales in Japan.

Look at the sales of Yazuka: Ishin, and Metal Gear 5 Demo. Publishers haven't done a good job convincing people they need to upgrade.

We already got some evidence that cross gen games just split the userbase instead of driving overall sales in Japan.

Look at the sales of Yazuka: Ishin, and Metal Gear 5 Demo. Publishers haven't done a good job convincing people they need to upgrade.
That was the conversation. It was about these franchises in the western market, who's consumers are upgrading to play these games on a shiny new console.

RalchAC

TBF it's not a crazy prediction or analysis. PS3 was much more expensive than the PS4 and still sold better. It's doesn't take a genius to see where the wind is blowing in the Japanese market.

It was one of the first Blu-Ray players, it was backwards compatible and it came from a more succesful console, so brand awareness was bigger.

Now Blu-Ray players are not new anymore, it isn't bakwards compatible and it doesn't have software on its own. We already see the PS3 having a slow start. We saw the Vita having a slow start. I still think it's early and I'll keep thinking it.

Doesn't seem Japanese fans are happy about Agito though.

https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/467588094573559809

I don't get why anybody will like to play an action game with touchscreen controls. But if it has invasive IAP... good luck

You're making a mistake here. Aeana made a good point in that SMT 4 is an evolution of what 1 and 2 did to the series. You can even see it in the pictures with the whole first person battles angle. It's still very noticeable how different 3 is in comparison. Downgrade is an absolutely poor word to use imo.

Well, visually it seems like a downgrade. SMT4 looks less complex than Nocturne. That said you're right when you say SMT4 looks more like an evolution of older games than 3.

Edit: With the release of the Wii U, PS4, xbone, 3DS and vita we have had to listen to the same old 'just wait for the games line'. Even in the western markets the line-up is pretty barren for all of these consoles (though it hasn't had as big an impact on sales admittedly). Maybe it's time to realise that there simply isn't as many games being made for dedicated consoles anymore.

The precedent is that Japan kept doing PS2 games when the PS3 launched and PSP games when the Vita launched. We're seeing the same pattern.

The PS4 is fucked short-term wise. It'll probably do worse than the PS3 mainly to a likely shorter generation (5-6 years is my bet). I'm not denying that. But we can't say software sales are going to get worse when we haven't seen any key software bombing.

That's what I'm trying to say. There is no sample to predict software sales because we haven't seen significant software on the PS4 yet (I don't think cross-gen games count).

KtSlime

Doesn't seem Japanese fans are happy about Agito though.

https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/467588094573559809
I haven't seen many complaints about IAP in its reviews in the AppStore, and perhaps I'm not far enough in, but have not been bothered by IAP at all, and doubt I will for a while, I've already collected 14 hyper potions which recharge your ACT (stamina). I see many complaints about load time, and it is indeed ridiculously slow, to even start up the game it takes 1 to 2 minutes, and there are load times between everything. There is also a bug (which I had not been effected by) people should be upset about that, but those get fixed and are bound to be in any F2Ps launch.

As to gameplay complaints, I really only see one, and that's that the game is very automatic. It is true, compared to Type-0, you have less control, the character auto runs, and melee attack is automatic after the ATB charges. However, I don't feel it is that much less than some of the older FF games where you couldn't move the characters at all, and the releases on the iphone that auto battle for grinding purposes.

Everyone I've spoken to seems to be pretty happy by the item creation/ability editing/crystarium (not sure what it was called in English). Hopefully they will work out the kinks soon enough, because sofar I'm enjoying it.

/rant

Well you have to remember when Nocturne came out, almost no one knew what Shin Megami Tensei even meant. SMT IV is blessed with the fact the brand is new relatively well known due to infamous difficulty of Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, Persona 3 and 4. Plus you even had a few on the DS Strange Journey and Devil children, the DS had a huge userbase and just seeing two SMT games on the wall can do wonders.

That is a downgrade.

Ok your favorite rpgs this gen stand up to the old ones. But how about instead of standing up it actually walk past or possibly run past what you once liked, No one is gonna jump up for joy and pay $300 + for something to be able to stand up to something. they already had. Even if they buy it I'm sure they know they want better.

"Japan is simply moving towards smartphones it seems"

No one simply does something for no reason. You don't leave your home and simply go live in a cardboard box. They are leaving for a reason, they are not getting what they want, they go somewhere else. Not as much of a mystery as people make it out to be.

What? I just said a couple of the jrpgs this gen have become my all time favourites in gaming. That is something anyone would buy a system for. In fact I will be buying a PS4 for the spiritual successor to one of those franchises. I'm not one of those people who puts one game suddenly in front of the others because at the top, the creme de la creme, everything is amazing and hence difficult to rank.

I don't think people are leaving to smartphones to get their fix of great jrpgs.

Right, the PS4 in Japan versus the rest of the world is a great example of this.

In Japan no one is buying a PS4 because the games that really appeal to the region are years out and there's almost nothing interesting to play now.

In the West, you can get games in the majority of major franchises right now and they're notably better on the new systems than the old ones, with more on the way.

There's also several notable titles only on PS4/XB1 (Assassin's Creed: Unity, Arkham Knight) coming in the near future, along with some out or almost out for more "niche" (by modern standards) interests (UFC, Infamous, Dead Rising 3, Forza, Killzone).

Beyond that anyone who has ever experienced a generation transition knows that there's even more on top of that. If you experienced the PS2 -> PS3 shift in Japan, you would likely not be nearly as happy with the early lifecycle or the prognosis the announced line-up suggests for PS4.

It's really a combination of what's out now (because why buy something you're not using) and what's in the immediately future. Without the former though, people don't pick up the box in the first place and just wait until there's something to do.

Exactly my point. People are buying the PS4 in the West for the games whether its the ones currently released or will be in the short term.

It'll be interesting to see how the Xbox One performs when it releases there this September.

There will be nothing interesting about it unless you want to play how low can it go.

It is a low barrier indeed but there still charted more WiiU games rather than PSV titles and not a single PS4 game this week (Famitsu Top30) despite the low barrier.

yes, with 2 titles bundled with the console and a new release, it's easy to get 3,4 titles in a top30....

FYI : PSV sw sales : 45k, WiiU sw sales : 20k

m0t0k1

Interesting to see Idolmaster One for all did better during launch week then 2

03./00. [PS3] The Idolmaster 2 # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2011.10.27} (¥7.980) - 65.512 / NEW <89,46%>

01./00. [PS3] The Idolmaster: One for All # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.05.15} (¥8.208) - 83.395 / NEW

Great game this deserves all the sales it can get.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm quite interested by a specific aspect of Zelda Musou: the game is published by Tecmo Koei in Japan, not Nintendo. So much that the official site is on Gamecity portal, which is TK's games portal. It's basically a third party game with a Nintendo IP. What I'm wondering is what will be the revenue share between TK and N? What kind of agreement they have?

I'm quite interested by a specific aspect of Zelda Musou: the game is published by Tecmo Koei in Japan, not Nintendo. So much that the official site is on Gamecity portal, which is TK's games portal. It's basically a third party game with a Nintendo IP. What I'm wondering is what will be the revenue share between TK and N? What kind of agreement they have?

I would love to know, it seems the special editions are charting on Amazon.jp

I wish both companies success with this game, hope the sales are better than expected

plufim

After all this time, the PS3 STILL hasn't sold 10M in Japan. Man. Hasn't even reached half the PS2 install base of 21M.

Although it's not that much worse than the worldwide trend - 80M as opposed to 155M

duckroll

Of course it'll be a revenue share. Even if Nintendo published it there would be a revenue share. Musou is a Tecmo-Koei brand, not a Nintendo one. Zelda is a Nintendo brand, not a Tecmo-Koei one. The moment the game was announced, it was obvious. Do you think Tecmo Koei doesn't pay royalties for doing stuff like Hokuto Musou and One Piece Musou? :p

Nothing surprising about this at all really.

I would love to know, it seems the special editions are charting on Amazon.jp

I wish both companies success with this game, hope the sales are better than expected

They are expecting over a million. There is no way sales will be better than expected. Lol.

Mpl90

Of course it'll be a revenue share. Even if Nintendo published it there would be a revenue share. Musou is a Tecmo-Koei brand, not a Nintendo one. Zelda is a Nintendo brand, not a Tecmo-Koei one. The moment the game was announced, it was obvious. Do you think Tecmo Koei doesn't pay royalties for doing stuff like Hokuto Musou and One Piece Musou? :p

They are expecting over a million. There is no way sales will be better than expected. Lol.

That's obvious, and of course there's going to be a revenue share. But my question is what kind of revenue share will be? Will it present differencies compared to other Musou collaborations? In theory, this seems to be a little different from both One Piece and Gundam Musou, since both series are published by Bandai Namco, not by Tecmo Koei themselves.

extralite

Esp with what we know of how nintendo loves to abandon their consoles which has happened since the N64 days.

Even though Nintendo has a massive software output for one company it isn't enough to sustain a console all by themselves, even less two since they also have a portable to support. It has often been commented how this is a big problem for them.

3rd party support is needed to fill in and after SNES, it just wasn't there anymore on consoles (to some degree even with the Wii) so the N64 late years felt even more barren. Following their usual pattern Nintendo will likely move towards the U now and leave the 3DS to 3rd parties, who are still bringing many great games to the platform so the portable side doesn't face the same problem as you're suggesting the Wii U again will.

But Iwata has made several comments on exactly these issues. To summarize, the next Nintendo portable system will be like a brother to the console. To avoid the usual software draughts after launching a new system they will try to emulate the model on iOS and Android, where a new device can just use the same software previous hardware was able to run. And that they will do some new things that break previous patterns.

DS used modified (in many ways downgraded) tech from the N64, a console. The 3DS uses the same architecture used in the GC, Wii and Wii U, but again, in some ways downgraded and not fully compatible with either of them. What if the next Nintendo portable will share the exact same architecture with the Wii U? That way it has a great library right from the start and they can fully support the new system without abandoning the old one.

Consoles before the Wii U were lacking the second screen with its touch functionality that Nintendo handhelds had introduced with the DS. Adding it in the U allows for DS VC on Wii U. It also allows to make the same kind of games on portables and consoles again.

Iwata also said they want to strengthen DD and reward customers who invested in the Wii U. If they allow buyers of the next handheld to use all their digital Wii U purchases on the new portable, either by moving them to the new device (like DS to 3DS or Wii to Wii U) or even introducing a real shared account between Wii U and the let's call it DSU, allowing to play the same games on both devices with one purchase, imagine the positive hype by satisfied Wii U owners this would create for both the DD model and the new handheld.

3rd parties satisfied by their sales results on 3DS would have no reason not to support the 'DSU' and all games released for it on cart could also be released on disc for Wii U. Software problem solved on both devices. Also keeps the spirit of Miyamoto's design method to solve several issues at once.

Edit: This would also create the opportunity for Japanese devs to make games they can sell on the portable popular in Japan and on a console in the West, which doesn't share Japan's love for handhelds.

3DS can't match PS2 in visuals.

I am pretty sure the 3DS is more powerful, than the PS2 was. On a feature level, the 3DS has shaders and the device features more and faster RAM, which leads to better visuals. Games like RE Revelation, Kid Icarus or DKC wouldn't have been possible on a PS2 and on a 3DS they are rendered in 3D which means twice the ammount of frames.

duckroll

That's obvious, and of course there's going to be a revenue share. But my question is what kind of revenue share will be? Will it present differencies compared to other Musou collaborations? In theory, this seems to be a little different from both One Piece and Gundam Musou, since both series are published by Bandai Namco, not by Tecmo Koei themselves.

Doesn't really seem all that different to me.

Hokuto Musou - Developed & published by Tecmo-Koei, Characters owned by Shueisha

One Piece Musou - Developed by Tecmo-Koei, Published by Namco Bandai, Characters owned by Shueisha

Gundam Musou - Developed by Tecmo-Koei, Published by Namco Bandai, Characters owned by Namco Bandai

Zelda Musou - Developed & published by Tecmo-Koei, Characters owned by Nintendo

Bonus:

Pokemon Conquest - Developed by Tecmo-Koei, Published by Nintendo, Characters owned by Nintendo/Pokemon Company

There's a whole range there. Nothing makes this particularly challenging business-wise compared to what they've done in the past. The only remotely interesting thing about this collaboration is that Nintendo probably thinks it will be such a bomb that they're not interested in publishing it themselves.

Yeah I was thinking it would sell 2 million worldwide! I know, I know but I am feeling good about this game :)

depends on marketing I guess and it already has paid DLC customs and lots of playable characters expected

first week of Japan sales should be interesting at least

duckroll

Yeah I was thinking it would sell 2 million worldwide! I know, I know but I am feeling good about this game :)

depends on marketing I guess and it already has paid DLC customs and lots of playable characters expected

Dude...

Zelda Musou is sort of interesting from a sales potential standpoint, in that it's not a cross-media license.

With something like One Piece Musou, essentially TK is rely on it's musou fanbase, and then a portion of the fanbase of the popular manga/anime to care enough about the franchise to get a game with the characters in it, regardless of the type of game or quality of game. They may not even normally buy games regularly.

With Zelda though, it's already an established game franchise. The fanbase is really after a specific experience from LoZ games that Zelda Musou won't necessarily provide. I've seen some people pose that it may be able to attract both the dedicated Zelda fanbase and the musou fanbase, synergistically. But I'm wondering whether the former is much more selective about the nature and quality of the game they're willing to buy than the audiences TK manages to attract with their other licenses.

Maybe there are as many Link fanatics as there are Luffy fanatics though, I guess.

Nibel

iUs13akrH5ME5.gif

You're overestimating the Musou + Zelda + Wii U brands

Mpl90

@ duckroll: I guess it's a concrete possibility that Nintendo said "Nope, this ain't sell a thing! Let's abandon da ship as fast as possible" and that's why they're not publishing it, not deniying it. Heck, I'm very doubtful about the chances of it reaching 1 million WW.

Amazon.co.jp, @ 10:34 GMT

Zelda Musou
Premium Box - 8th
Regular - 38th

...But maybe there's still (little) hope.

iUs13akrH5ME5.gif

You're overestimating the Musou + Zelda + Wii U brands

:( goes back to playing The Wonderful 101. <== would have sold 2 million if Impa was playable

yeah this combo is a great idea but yes being on Wii U and the lackluster sales in Japan these days + the west is not a hot musou land are all against TK's 1m LTD

I'm still hyped!

Top Bottom