• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 20, 2014 (May 12 - May 18)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I still want another game in the Soma Bringer world. :(

i remember that game, was actually pretty good!

*edited from the DP below.

Zelda mosou will sell 10x what Orochi3 sold on wiiu so DAT IMPROVEMENT

LOL

in the US maybe. I seriously cant see Zelda musou selling all that much in Japan. As mentioned before folks here dont really give a shit about Zelda anymore.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
One Piece is probably the biggest manga/anime property in Japan

The gap between One Piece and no.2 is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge; no expert on that field, but One Piece is crazy succesful

Probably? That thing sells 10 million more volumes normally per year than it's closet competition normally. It outsold the culmination of the rest of the top 10 a few years back time. One piece is far and away the biggest IP in japan currently It's not even close. It's lessened a bit now but it's still the biggest.

Lexxism

Probably? That thing sells 10 million more volumes normally per year than it's closet competition normally. It outsold the culmination of the rest of the top 10 a few years back time. One piece is far and away the biggest IP in japan currently It's not even close. It's lessened a bit now but it's still the biggest.

Yup. The gap between #1 and #2 were pretty damn huge before 2013. Attack on Titan was able to close the gap last year with just around 2-3 million difference.

OP volumes sales definitely dropping big since 2012.

Volume sales:

2013: 18,151,599
2012: 23,464,866
2011: 37,996,373
2010: 32,343,809
2009: 14,721,241
2008: 5,956,540

Metallix87

Don't be silly.

I don't think it's all that silly. I think it's crazy to assume that, over a year after launch, Sony can cast a magic spell and revive interest in the platform in that region. At least Nintendo is putting out some relevant content every few months on their platform.

sörine

Banned
in the US maybe. I seriously cant see Zelda musou selling all that much in Japan. As mentioned before folks here dont really give a shit about Zelda anymore.
I see this sentiment thrown around a lot and it perplexes me given Zelda on it's top platform outsells traditional Musou on it's top platform. Franchise wise Musou's the weaker link both inside and outside Japan.

Takao

Banned
Wii U could actually be first in Japan this gen. Yikes.

That reign will be known as the Death Of An Industry.

sörine;113050636 said:
I see this sentiment thrown around a lot and it perplexes me given Zelda on it's top platform outsells traditional Musou on it's top platform. Franchise wise Musou's the weaker link both inside and outside Japan.

Dynasty Warriors 8 on PS3 sold ever so slightly more than Skyward Sword did on Wii.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
I don't think it's all that silly. I think it's crazy to assume that, over a year after launch, Sony can cast a magic spell and revive interest in the platform in that region. At least Nintendo is putting out some relevant content every few months on their platform.
Because that has never happened before, right? Not with a price drop and the latest Final Fantasy coming out, for example? Not for games like MGS and Kingdom Hearts?

These threads are like Groundhog Day.

The point is that despite the low barrier not a single PS4 game charted this week (Famitsu Top30).

the point is : tell me when the last FULL game for PS4 was released

answer : Natural Doctrine, one month ago

oh my gosh, that's incredible, not a single PS4 game in top30 after 4 weeks since a multiplatform release !!!!!!!!!1111

if only Sony kept Knack bundled as Nintendo is doing with New Mario and Wii Party.........

Principate

Saint Titanfall

oh my gosh, that's incredible, not a single PS4 game in top30 after 4 weeks since a multiplatform release !!!!!!!!!1111

if only Sony kept Knack bundled as Nintendo is doing with New Mario and Wii Party.........

What is this argument about?

PS4 has no games?

PS4 has no games that sell?

I don't get it what's the point in pointing that out.

sörine

Banned

FFXIV was the last "full" release, unless you count Child of Light retail.

Metallix87

Because that has never happened before, right? Not with a price drop and the latest Final Fantasy coming out, for example? Not for games like MGS and Kingdom Hearts?

The stuff you've mentioned is coming in 2015 or 2016. The system will have stagnated so much by then, that those games won't do nearly as much as you think they will.

prag16

Banned

These threads are like Groundhog Day.

When are those games coming out, hmm? By that time the PS4 will be so far behind both launch aligned and especially LTD (with so little mindshare) that the climb uphill will be daunting (even if Wii U is almost out of gas by then).

I think it'll probably eventually pass Wii U, but the wait could end up being VERY lengthy, and we can by no means dismiss out of hand the possibility it never happens as "silly".

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I kind of wonder what the Wii U's LTD will be by the end of this year. I guess we'll get a better idea after Mario Kart 8's release, E3, and several weeks of its sales.

I kind of wonder what the Wii U's LTD will be by the end of this year. I guess we'll get a better idea after Mario Kart 8's release, E3, and several weeks of its sales.

Approaching 2.5 million seems likely. I really forgot how low Wii U's LTD was right now. Once Smash Bros and Mario Kart's effect wear off it will be back to sub 10k land for most of the rest of the time Wii U is out. I'm starting to doubt the Wii U matches the GCN is Japan.

Alrus

Both the Wii U and PS4 are fucked in Japan, they'll most likely sell much less than their predecessor. Doesn't really matter who "wins".

When are those games coming out, hmm? By that time the PS4 will be so far behind both launch aligned and especially LTD (with so little mindshare) that the climb uphill will be daunting (even if Wii U is almost out of gas by then).

I think it'll probably eventually pass Wii U, but the wait could end up being VERY lengthy, and we can by no means dismiss out of hand the possibility it never happens as "silly".
PS3 was tracking behind GameCube for years. See how that turned out. With WiiU tracking like GameCube and having even less third party support I really don't see how it's going to sell that much more (4 million). It's living with only Nintendo games just like GameCube. Now do you really believe there will be drop from 10 million to less than 4 million with PS3->PS4 transition?

L Thammy

What is this argument about?

PS4 has no games?

PS4 has no games that sell?

I don't get it what's the point in pointing that out.

If PS4 doesn't have any games that sell, than it isn't its fault and it shouldn't feel bad. It doesn't need to keep beating itself up like this.

jeremy1456

I'm guessing that MK week the Wii U will do 50k.

I'm also predicting that in the weeks that follow the Wii U YTD will surpass that of the PS4 due to MK. It might take like 2 months though, and the PS4 won't pass the Wii U's YTD.

PS3 was tracking behind GameCube for years. See how that turned out. With WiiU tracking like GameCube and having even less third party support I really don't see how it's going to sell that much more (4 million). It's living with only Nintendo games just like GameCube. Now do you really believe there will be drop from 10 million to less than 4 million with PS3->PS4 transition?

No, but the drop will be significant enough that it will be a very slow ride before the PS4 outsells the Wii U barring some explosion in support. A few AAA titles a year won't cut it. The writing has been on the wall for a long time. Mobile is not done growing in Japan either. It's going to continue to cut into the market.

No, but the drop will be significant enough that it will be a very slow ride before the PS4 outsells the Wii U barring some explosion in support. A few AAA titles a year won't cut it. The writing has been on the wall for a long time. Mobile is not done growing in Japan either. It's going to continue to cut into the market.

Well I agree that it will be rather slow ride but I really just don't see a situation where WiiU will have higher ltd than PS4 like some posters are here already predicting. I am still kinda hoping that PS4 will have similar life as PS3 (Big AAA games bring also med sized devs to the platform) but mobile could indeed eat away even that market. Hopefully western games will continue to grow in japan like last gen. That would seriously help PS4.

jeremy1456

guys, there's like no PS4 games out in Japan.

Those are pretty good numbers to me.

That's what they used to say about the Wii U.

The PS4 will probably be pulling those numbers for quite some time.

Just because the Nintendo 64 didn't have many games doesn't mean it did 'pretty good numbers."

jeremy1456

Well I agree that it will be rather slow ride but I really just don't see a situation where WiiU will have higher ltd than PS4 like some posters are here already predicting. I am still kinda hoping that PS4 will have similar life as PS3 (Big AAA games bring also med sized devs to the platform) but mobile could indeed eat away even that market. Hopefully western games will continue to grow in japan like last gen. That would seriously help PS4.

The PS3 was pulling better numbers with a less market centric library.

Come on.

Mory Dunz

No one is really predicting that. From what I've seen, the farthest they've gone is to say that the Wii U won't be surpassed by the time a successor comes out for it.

Someone did the math earlier, but if I remember correctly, to pass it by the end of 2015, it needs to outsell the Wii U by a weekly average of ~30,000. And to do it by 2016, it needs to sell more by an average of ~10,000.

I should check. I'm not even positive it was this thread though.

KtSlime

I have very little to no interest in western games. If I have a console and there happens to be a very popular western game like GTA or Uncharted, I might pick it up and try it but I would never buy a system for those games.

Frankly I don't care if anything helps the PS4, I just want games I enjoy to be released on something, then I will buy that something to play them.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
So if you had to order the sales of Nintendo's known Wii U titles releasing this year in Japan, how do you think their sales in Japan will be from highest to lowest?

My prediction:
1. Mario Kart 8
2. Smash Bros. Wii U
3. Zelda Musou
4. Bayonetta 2
5. X
6. DKC: Tropical Freeze
7. Fatal Frame Wii U?
8. Just Dance Wii U

Keep in mind I'm thinking Bayo & X will be a bit below or above 100K. Musou might hit like 150-200K. Smash & MK8 should be much bigger.

What has Tropical Freeze done LTD again?

I don't know whether there's enough audience for games like Bayonetta or X to necessarily top that...

DaBoss

I don't know whether there's enough audience for games like Bayonetta or X to necessarily top that...
Was going to say it is probably around 90K, but then I realized we have Dengeki!

As of Week 19:
[WIU] Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze (Nintendo) {2014.02.13} - 93.588

Thanks to 1st Course for translating them each week.

And yea, unless the core audience grows larger, I find it hard to think that DKCTF would be beaten by those games.

Tripon

Less than 100K I believe. It wasn't a good sign that Nintendo didn't include LTD figures for TP at their financial reports.

How much are we expecting X to do?

I'm guessing 200K max. A range of 100K-125K LTD is probably more realistic.

Xenoblade did 140K (garaph). I really wouldn't expect those kinds of sales for X, given how inactive the installed base seems to be.

Bayonetta managed about 300K on the 360 and PS3 combined. But I just don't expect there to be enough people who absolutely need to play a sequel that they would get a Wii U for it, while I don't think the people who have gotten a Wii U are necessarily Bayonetta's target.

heidern

PS2->PS3 was already a drop from around 20M to 10M. If low hardware sales combined with increased development costs kills off Japanese mid-tier support for PS4 then a drop to something like 5M isn't unreasonable. If we have a shorter generation then that would also hurt sales.

KtSlime

Maybe this was discussed earlier, or in another thread, is Nintendo releasing a new Wii U bundle soon? Checking on Yodobashi, Bic, and Amazon (well, it's still there but has gone up in price) it looks like the Wii U Play right away Family Set with NSMBU and Wii Party has been discontinued and can only find the set with Wii Sports Club. Is this the case?

RalchAC

Yup. The gap between #1 and #2 were pretty damn huge before 2013. Attack on Titan was able to close the gap last year with just around 2-3 million difference.

OP volumes sales definitely dropping big since 2012.

Volume sales:

2013: 18,151,599
2012: 23,464,866
2011: 37,996,373
2010: 32,343,809
2009: 14,721,241
2008: 5,956,540

I don't pay much attention to that stuff anymore but during its peak years old volumes were selling a lot, which meant there was still new people starting the series. If sales of volumes has decreased, I think it has more to do with the fact that there isn't as many new people coming anymore.

I've just checked 2013 vs 2011 and this is how new OP volumes sold:

1 3,147,224 One Piece 69 (2013/03)
2 3,039,487 One Piece 70 (2013/06)
3 2,890,263 One Piece 71 (2013/08)
4 2,354,005 One Piece 72 (2013/11)

01 – One Piece Volume 61: 3,382,588 copies
02 – One Piece Volume 62: 3,207,568 copies
03 – One Piece Volume 63: 3,073,175 copies
04 – One Piece Volume 64: 2,652,700 copies

The difference is not that big between those 2 years. So the difference is how well old stuff was selling.

For what I've seen Attack of Titans is The Shit right now. Just wow.

KtSlime

Lol no. WiiU will have an LTD of 4-5 million (the latter if its lucky), If PS4 doesn't do that then we can admit that home consoles are truly dead in JP.

Why is this question of the market being alive or dead still debated? It's clearly been dying for years now.

Why is the PS4 the gold standard in determining if the market is dead or not?

Top Bottom