• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 20, 2015 (May 11 - May 17)

Comgnet Weekly Ranking:

1. (PS4) Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - 176pts
2. (LOL) PS2 Software - 108pts
3. (PSV) Minecraft - 26pts
4. (PSV) Phantasy Star Nova - 25pts
5. (3DS) Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition - 25pts
6. (3DS) Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Unchi - 23pts
7. (PSV) Lovely x Cation 1 & 2 (LE) - 21pts
8. (3DS) Style Savvy 3: Kira Kira Code - 18pts
9. (3DS) Ansatsu Kyoushitsu: Korosensei Daihouimou!! - 14pts
10. (PSV) Lovely x Cation 1 & 2 (ST) - 13pts
11. (3DS) Yo-kai Watch 2: Honke - 12pts
12. (3DS) Bravely Second - 10pts
13. (PS4) Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD - 9pts
14. (PS3) Minecraft - 8pts
15. (Wii) Dragon Quest X: Inishie no Ryuu no Denshou Online - 7pts
16. (3DS) Dragon Ball Heoes: Ultimate Mission - 7pts
17. (PS3) 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Tengoku Hen - 6pts
18. (3DS) Future Card Buddy Fight - 6pts
19. (PSV) God Eater 2: Rage Burst - 5pts
20. (PS4) Borderlands Collection - 5pts

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Seeing Bravely Second in that list reminds me.

06./05. [3DS] Bravely Second: End Layer <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.04.23} (¥6.458) - 6.683 / 140.856 <60-80%> (-42%)

Bravely Default launched at 144,909 so Bravely Second should surpass the first game's debut week either next week or the week after.

So that's either the fifth or sixth week.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How's Terra Battle doing on the mobile charts?

The content is helping, but they'll need a pull event if they want to really spike.

terra2jkye9.png

Mory Dunz

So Splatoon ranks only behind Kart, Smash, and NSMBU in the Comget thing?

Seems good on that front.
Wonder how they'll translate into sales. Is 150k FW possible?

crinale

So Splatoon ranks only behind Kart, Smash, and NSMBU in the Comget thing?

Seems good on that front.
Wonder how they'll translate into sales. Is 150k FW possible?

It's being advertised crazily over here (currently amount of ad is ranked at 9th among all products (not games) advertised in Japan). Personally it's been a while since last time I've seen Nintendo dumping such marketing money for a game, let alone WiiU game..

Mory Dunz

It's being advertised crazily over here (currently amount of ad is ranked at 9th among all products (not games) advertised in Japan). Personally it's been a while since last time I've seen Nintendo dumping marketing money for a game, let alone WiiU game..

...Is 180-200k possible...gulp

-Horizon-

It's being advertised crazily over here (currently amount of ad is ranked at 9th among all products (not games) advertised in Japan). Personally it's been a while since last time I've seen Nintendo dumping such marketing money for a game, let alone WiiU game..
I want to believe.

when are we going to get numbers...for the advertising budget

:p

Seriously this is Sega's most successful app at the moment.

14.) Monster Gear
25.) Hortensia Saga
38.) Ange Vierge 2: Waifu Harder
42.) PuyoPuyo Quest
62.) Chain Chronicle
64.) Griffon... something
86.) Soccer
106.) Baseball

It's also #3 on the top downloads list behind LINE and some kind of... I think it's a dating app.

Well, at least there's clear demand for something Monster Hunter related on mobile...
whats the new mh game gonna be like? the previous mobile game or is it gonna be more fleshed out?

Seeing Bravely Second in that list reminds me.

06./05. [3DS] Bravely Second: End Layer <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.04.23} (¥6.458) - 6.683 / 140.856 <60-80%> (-42%)

Bravely Default launched at 144,909 so Bravely Second should surpass the first game's debut week either next week or the week after.

So that's either the fifth or sixth week.
legs look pretty bad on top of the bad debut, what happened here?

the market in general?

Alrus

whats the new mh game gonna be like? the previous mobile game or is it gonna be more fleshed out?

They posted a video showing gameplay, it's a very streamlined version of MH pretty much. I personally think it looks pretty meh gameplay wise but some effort has been put into making the game playable with one hand and it looks more interactive that stuff like Brave Frontier and other similar mobile games.

It also looks pretty good graphics wise.

They posted a video showing gameplay, it's a very streamlined version of MH pretty much. I personally think it looks pretty meh gameplay wise but some effort has been put into making the game playable with one hand and it looks more interactive that stuff like Brave Frontier and other similar mobile games.

It also looks pretty good graphics wise.
are these games pretty mh on mobile (the ones that aren't from capcom)? or are their gameplay different (i haven't played any besides the mh one)

Vena

tbh worldwide it probably will be billions...of yen :p

Ehh. That'd be a mighty budget for a game from Garage and a dev cycle of a little over a year and half or whatever.

I mean, that's, what, 8 million USD? That'd be a hell of a marketing budget comparatively speaking.

Somnid

The Sega you once knew has been dead and buried for months. The Sega that currently exists is just a pretender to the throne

Sega has had some lucky breaks but they've always had major problems. Still, that they'd be allowed to subsist on this is just cruel to their fans. Let something end them.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
YSO predictions

Week 22, 2015 (May 25 - May 31)

[WIU] Splatoon < 150k
[3DS] Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai Deluxe < 50k
[PSV] Cross Ange: Tenshi to Ryuu no Rondo tr. < 15k

[WIU] Hardware 15-20k

random25

Pretty good and optimistic for Splatoon. Hope it really do well and maybe go beyond 150k FW, but nonetheless >100k opening still pretty good for a Wii U game.

This may destroy a bit of GAF monthly prediction numbers lol.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay, so this one can be a bit confusing, so let me break it down.

The existing Monster Hunter games on iOS come in one of two forms.

1.) Straight ports of Monster Hunter games like Monster Hunter 2G. These are one time purchase games with touch controls and also controller support, but they're not an exact fit for making big money in the market since you make one time purchases for 2000 yen, sell a couple hundred thousand copies, and call it a day.

2.) Social games with the Monster Hunter brand name, but almost nothing to do with the actual series. For example, a town building game about Monster Hunter cats or an Infinity Blade type game about fighting Monster Hunter monsters. Monster Gear is actually pretty similar to this category, but Sega is just much more successful/better at making these kinds of games than Capcom.

Monster Hunter Explore is neither a regular Monster Hunter nor something totally divorced from the series. It's more akin to the similarities and differences between a sidescrolling auto runner with a platforming focus versus a regular platformer. The game lets you play four player co-op and fight monsters in a style that resembles the regular series, but it's simplified quite a bit and optimized for one handed touch controls. Looking at the gameplay video, I suspect they've simplified it a bit too much, but we'll find out soon.

legs look pretty bad on top of the bad debut, what happened here?

the market in general?

It's a mix of two main things.

The first is that the game basically looked like a totally half assed sequel to the first game, so the people buying it are the fans who finished the first game and went "I would be fine with buying what's largely more of the same, potentially even at a lower quality." What they really needed to do instead was make something that looked like it was taking the series to the next level instead of making the equivalent of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood/Revelations.

The other is that it's pretty late in the generation, so 3DS owners have all sorts of options in terms of what they can play. Bravely Default launched early, and really stood out the in crowd. Bravely Second has to contend with the entire back catalog of the system on top of anything else coming out now or in a few months, plus everything on any other platform that has been receiving games. It doesn't have any of that shiny game-on-a-new-system benefit.

If they wanted I think they could actually revive the series pretty easily by making the Bravely Second game that looks like it kicks things into overdrive in the mold of Assassin's Creed 1 -> Assassin's Creed 2 or Uncharted 1 -> Uncharted 2 instead, but I'm not sure if they'd be interested given what they greenlit here.

We've seen what happens when you taking a dying series like Fire Emblem and crank things up, and I think we'll see it again with Fire Emblem If when you keep striving to deliver something that takes things to the next level instead of letting them stand.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
a 130K opening week for Splatoon with 18k Wii U sales would be pretty interesting. Looking at other "iconic" Wii U games Nintendo launched (such as Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Game&Wario, Kirby Rainbow, Mario Party...) and their respective HW bump, I'd argue that Spaltoon reception (if not totally flopping in the West) could lead them to support this kind of game (new IP, "new" genre", younger developers, and so on)

Bruno MB

Pretty good and optimistic for Splatoon. Hope it really do well and maybe go beyond 150k FW, but nonetheless >100k opening still pretty good for a Wii U game.

This may destroy a bit of GAF monthly prediction numbers lol.

A +100.000 opening for a game like Splatoon would be a great result regardless of the platform it was released.

Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition and Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster have already killed our predictions :p

I have also noticed that our The Witcher 3 predictions are probably quite low too.

[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition <RPG> (GungHo Online Entertainment) {2015.04.29} (¥4.320) - 17.876 / 246.259 <60-80%> (-65%)

[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. (33 days) - 666.666
[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. (33 days) - 650.000
[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. (33 days) - 594.000
[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. (33 days) - 585.000
[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. (33 days) - 555.000
[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. (33 days) - 550.000
[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. (33 days) - 520.000
[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. (33 days) - 516.000
[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. (33 days) - 505.000
[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. (33 days) - 500.000
[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. (33 days) - 445.983
[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. (33 days) - 444.444
[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. (33 days) - 433.000
[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. (33 days) - 425.000
[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. (33 days) - 420.000
[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. (33 days) - 417.000
[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. (33 days) - 400.000
[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. (33 days) - 380.000
[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. (33 days) - 232.000

GAF Average - 487.576

[PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster <Final Fantasy X Final Fantasy X-2> <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.05.14} (¥7.344) - 17.972 / NEW <60-80%>

[PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (18 days) - 125.012
[PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (18 days) - 101.000
[PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (18 days) - 90.000
[PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (18 days) - 75.000
[PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (18 days) - 75.000
[PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (18 days) - 70.000
[PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (18 days) - 69.000
[PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (18 days) - 67.000
[PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (18 days) - 65.000
[PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (18 days) - 64.000
[PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (18 days) - 56.411
[PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (18 days) - 55.000
[PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (18 days) - 53.000
[PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (18 days) - 50.000
[PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (18 days) - 44.444
[PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (18 days) - 40.000
[PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (18 days) - 39.000
[PS4] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (18 days) - 30.000

GAF Average - 62.803

[WIU] Splatoon (4 days) - 80.000
[WIU] Splatoon (4 days) - 80.000
[WIU] Splatoon (4 days) - 71.070
[WIU] Splatoon (4 days) - 63.000
[WIU] Splatoon (4 days) - 63.000
[WIU] Splatoon (4 days) - 57.000
[WIU] Splatoon (4 days) - 55.000
[WIU] Splatoon (4 days) - 53.000
[WIU] Splatoon (4 days) - 51.111
[WIU] Splatoon (4 days) - 50.000
[WIU] Splatoon (4 days) - 46.000
[WIU] Splatoon (4 days) - 45.000
[WIU] Splatoon (4 days) - 45.000
[WIU] Splatoon (4 days) - 44.444
[WIU] Splatoon (4 days) - 41.365
[WIU] Splatoon (4 days) - 40.000
[WIU] Splatoon (4 days) - 38.500
[WIU] Splatoon (4 days) - 38.000
[WIU] Splatoon (4 days) - 25.000

GAF Average - 52.214

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
In general, even if it bombs, I would consider Splatoon to be one of the best thought out new IPs they've made in ages.

It's in a popular genre that Nintendo sorely lacks. It's seemingly made by people who both like the genre and spent a lot of time thinking about what design decisions/mechanics actually make the genre fun and engaging. They thought through what sorts of mechanics they could add to make the game feel unique and like something people would consider playing despite having other shooters. And on top of all that, they put a lot of effort into making a title that evokes a strong feeling of being a "Nintendo game" despite being in a genre Nintendo doesn't really work in.

It's like a game from an alternate universe where Nintendo was really on top of things coming into this generation.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
In general, even if it bombs, I would consider Splatoon to be one of the best thought out new IPs they've made in ages.

It's in a popular genre that Nintendo sorely lacks. It's seemingly made by people who both like the genre and spent a lot of time thinking about what design decisions/mechanics actually make the genre fun and engaging. They thought through what sorts of mechanics they could add to make the game feel unique and like something people would consider playing despite having other shooters. And on top of all that, they put a lot of effort into making a title that evokes a strong feeling of being a "Nintendo game" despite being in a genre Nintendo doesn't really work in.

It's like a game from an alternate universe where Nintendo was really on top of things coming into this generation.

Indeed. If this is the mentality Nintendo follows in the future, especially considering how this is one of the results of the current Garage initiative, it would be great for them and for us. While Nintendo games are usually great if not fantastic, I think many were asking for them to do something outside their classic franchises/genres, increasing the amount of kind of games they can cover. This generation, we already got a Musou-Nintendo published game, we got the resurrected Bayonetta 2, and soon we'll get another resurrected project (Devil's Third). Now, here's a brand new important IP (in terms of how much effort they're putting in it) in the shooter genre. I hope these kind of initiatives (collaborations/projects resurrected/expansion of the lineup both IP-wise and genre-wise) continue.

Also, at this point, I wonder, with a much better marketing/demo (yeah, I'm going there), if The Wonderful 101 could've sold much better than what it did (despite still being a difficult title to sell in today's market).

random25

A +100.000 opening for a game like Splatoon would be a great result regardless of the platform it was released.

Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition and Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster have already killed our predictions :p

I have also noticed that our The Witcher 3 predictions are probably quite low too.

Those numbers...damn P&D and FFX/X-2 HD Remaster let us down big time lol. And yeah, The Witcher 3 looks to be bigger than most expected. Guess being a Western game makes people apprehensive to make larger predictions.

And wow at those Splatoon predictions. I swear I made that 80k prediction lol. Really went out of our radar if it really turns out to sell more than 100k in the numbers next week.

Splatoon with a W101, Fatal Frame 5, Bayonetta 2 marketing campaign would have sold as W101, Fatal Frame 5, Bayonetta 2

Splatoon with a MK8 marketing campaign will sell much better, and that what's actually happening in Japan : it's already 3 weeks they are pushing the game everywhere, specific Direct, different CM's on tv, train stations, advertising on magazines (just 14 pages on latest Famitsu issue)
without those efforts unlikely we would have seen a 100-150k debut, and unlikely they will put such those efforts for every their releases in the future

How much marketing has the Witcher 3 had? I am curious because this seems like a potentially huge opening(>100K) for a WRPG. Interestingly, I can see how Witcher 3 would actually be a fairly good candidate for such a push, especially towards a PS4 audience that already is open to western games.

Splatoon with a W101, Fatal Frame 5, Bayonetta 2 marketing campaign would have sold as W101, Fatal Frame 5, Bayonetta 2

Splatoon with a MK8 marketing campaign will sell much better, and that what's actually happening in Japan : it's already 3 weeks they are pushing the game everywhere, specific Direct, different CM's on tv, train stations, advertising on magazines (just 14 pages on latest Famitsu issue)
without those efforts unlikely we would have seen a 100-150k debut, and unlikely they will put such those efforts for every their releases in the future

Nintendo is looking to make this game another big series and also its very colorful and family game instead of being hardcore shooter title so it can attract more audience but it depends on reviews for legs i guess.

crinale

Yeah they got to make priorities of which IPs to push, and it is now clear they really want to make Splatoon a new IP that lasts for a few more iterations (I wouldn't be surprised if ad budget alone blows the project profit. It still should be strategically right move anyway).
There's really a stark contrast between how this and Xeno are treated, as for marketing push. This also shows Nintendo wasn't putting too much hope in Xeno from the first place, at least in Japan..

hiska-kun

How much marketing has the Witcher 3 had? I am curious because this seems like a potentially huge opening(>100K) for a WRPG. Interestingly, I can see how Witcher 3 would actually be a fairly good candidate for such a push, especially towards a PS4 audience that already is open to western games.

The Witcher 3 is a potentially >100k LTD seller, but there's no way to reach >100k first week.

DrWong

I disagree: even with less marketing Splatoon would have done better than those 3 titles. Because it's in a more popular genre, because mechanically it works better, it's more intuitive, casual friendly, innovative, looks fresh. I mean, when I tested Splatoon for the first time, after 10 mn I knew it was a "playing is believing" game.

I read a lot of "Splatoon is succeeding because big marketing, why Nintendo didn't push the other games the same way...?"Nintendo is pushing Splatoon big way because they know it can click with a bigger audience contrary to the other - great but - more niche titles.

I'm even seeing a lot of ads here in the UK. I guess Nintendo wants to make this into a franchise considering the amount of marketing money they are spending on it.

I disagree: even with less marketing Splatoon would have done better than those 3 titles. Because it's in a more popular genre, because mechanically it works better, it's more intuitive, casual friendly, innovative, looks fresh. I mean, when I tested Splatoon for the first time, after 10 mn I knew it was a "playing is believing" game.

I read a lot of "Splatoon is succeeding because big marketing, why Nintendo didn't push the other games the same way...?"Nintendo is pushing Splatoon big way because they know it can click with a bigger audience contrary to the other - great but - more niche titles.

you might be right, but if you check Amazon and COMG before massive marketing campaign (started with the Direct iirc) you will see preorders were very low
you can have a great gameplay, be family oriented, but if anyone knows your release date you will never sell like hot cakes

Colombo

Sounds like a good start for Splatoon especially for a new IP but the hardware increase must be like is icing on the cake for Nintendo, though slightly less than what XCX managed! I look forward to the full chart.

Okay, so this one can be a bit confusing, so let me break it down.

The existing Monster Hunter games on iOS come in one of two forms.

1.) Straight ports of Monster Hunter games like Monster Hunter 2G. These are one time purchase games with touch controls and also controller support, but they're not an exact fit for making big money in the market since you make one time purchases for 2000 yen, sell a couple hundred thousand copies, and call it a day.

2.) Social games with the Monster Hunter brand name, but almost nothing to do with the actual series. For example, a town building game about Monster Hunter cats or an Infinity Blade type game about fighting Monster Hunter monsters. Monster Gear is actually pretty similar to this category, but Sega is just much more successful/better at making these kinds of games than Capcom.

Monster Hunter Explore is neither a regular Monster Hunter nor something totally divorced from the series. It's more akin to the similarities and differences between a sidescrolling auto runner with a platforming focus versus a regular platformer. The game lets you play four player co-op and fight monsters in a style that resembles the regular series, but it's simplified quite a bit and optimized for one handed touch controls. Looking at the gameplay video, I suspect they've simplified it a bit too much, but we'll find out soon.

It's a mix of two main things.

The first is that the game basically looked like a totally half assed sequel to the first game, so the people buying it are the fans who finished the first game and went "I would be fine with buying what's largely more of the same, potentially even at a lower quality." What they really needed to do instead was make something that looked like it was taking the series to the next level instead of making the equivalent of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood/Revelations.

The other is that it's pretty late in the generation, so 3DS owners have all sorts of options in terms of what they can play. Bravely Default launched early, and really stood out the in crowd. Bravely Second has to contend with the entire back catalog of the system on top of anything else coming out now or in a few months, plus everything on any other platform that has been receiving games. It doesn't have any of that shiny game-on-a-new-system benefit.

If they wanted I think they could actually revive the series pretty easily by making the Bravely Second game that looks like it kicks things into overdrive in the mold of Assassin's Creed 1 -> Assassin's Creed 2 or Uncharted 1 -> Uncharted 2 instead, but I'm not sure if they'd be interested given what they greenlit here.

We've seen what happens when you taking a dying series like Fire Emblem and crank things up, and I think we'll see it again with Fire Emblem If when you keep striving to deliver something that takes things to the next level instead of letting them stand.
thanks for the info, so these monster clones are actually just monster games and have nothing to do with traditional mh?

regarding bd, thats a shame they went that route i thought the decent review in famitsu meant the game was good quality wise

thefro

you might be right, but if you check Amazon and COMG before massive marketing campaign (started with the Direct iirc) you will see preorders were very low
you can have a great gameplay, be family oriented, but if anyone knows your release date you will never sell like hot cakes

The Global Testfire demo was the big thing that spiked preorders worldwide.

All of the other ads, etc have all played into that.

It's also been very smart for Nintendo to bring the game demo to various conventions. In Japan they brought it to Tokaigi Game Party Japan and NicoNico Chokaigi. Both those showings seemed to be very successful and I think were a big factor in more people from Japan playing the first Testfire demo.

Sounds like a good start for Splatoon especially for a new IP but the hardware increase must be like is icing on the cake for Nintendo, though slightly less than what XCX managed! I look forward to the full chart.

it's just a prediction ;)

Splatoon and other games will be released the incoming thursday

thanks for the info, so these monster clones are actually just monster games and have nothing to do with traditional mh?
The COG developed games basically just use the IP and nothing else. Monster Gear tries to pretend to be a traditional MH game except boiled down to three buttons (guard/attack/heavy attack), and plays like what you'd expect from MH boiled down to three buttons.

HGH

Banned
Was the Nintendo price "discrimination" issue brought up here? I figured it'd be relevant what with all the recent releases:
Japanese gamer outrage at Nintendo's "reprehensible" price discrimination

While Nintendo's WiiU and 3DS catalog typically list prices with "tax included," it has recently been called into attention that Nintendo lists its own first-party titles "without tax," making them appear cheaper than they really are.

For example, Xenoblade X is 8,316 yen with tax, but is listed as "7,700 (tax excluded)"
Rorona 3DS, published by KT, gets no such treatment and is listed as "6,264 (tax included)"

The practice, seen as discrimination against third party developers, has been met with widespread scorn and derision.
Source:http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/8188210.html
Translation Source: Various other forums, can't tell

Could this have been a contributor to bad sales?

Top Bottom