• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 20, 2015 (May 11 - May 17)

Splatoon release = May 28, 2015 @ 12:00 AM JST
Next Comgnet pre-order update = May 28, 2015 @ 8:00 AM JST

I guess it has to do with when the store opens up or something, then? Or am I missing something.

Ugh, I'm tired and I completely mixed my days up with it technically being Wednesday now (27th). My fault, sorry.

Splatoon releases on Thursday, 28th. COMG page is updated the day after at 8.00 (so it was updated on the 27th), but shows the ranking for the day before (this is the part I was confused on because of the days - and also wrong about, but let's ignore that :p).

If you look at the top of the chart, it says:

"It is a ranking of at closing time May 26, 2015"

So it's the ranking at close of play on Tuesday. There will be another one tomorrow which will be its ranking at close of play on Wednesday, and that'll be its final ranking.

It's too bad people care more about which platform the game will end up on than actually buying it and playing it.

well if i have the choice i would rather play a Dragon Quest game on Consoles with beautiful Cell Shading Graphics on a big screen (like ni no kuni)
Also it would definetely give the Ps4 a huge push in Japan

They inferred too much from the statement.

Which can easily happen with PR. Not to say this won't end up being the case.

Yeah thats probably the case, because Siliconera is the only site claiming this

Xbro

Splatoon release = May 28, 2015 @ 12:00 AM JST
Next Comgnet pre-order update = May 28, 2015 @ 8:00 AM JST

I guess it has to do with when the store opens up or something, then? Or am I missing something.

Yes. From 8:00 AM May 27th to 8:00 AM May 28th is when this final day is.

sörine

Banned
The games were not very popular because of the platform they were on, not because of themselves as Vesperia and Graces proved it after their initial failure on 360 & Wii.

Tales of Hearts DS is a very good mothership title and is highly regarded by those who played it
(Anime Edition not Cg of course)
, Tales of Innocence well not so much.

Regarding Radiant Mythology 4 this is what Makoto Yoshizumi said back in Summer 2012

So I think they were in a "wait & see" situation, last year they quickly dropped one shitty mega low budget spin off on 3DS to see how it would go, and last time we heard about it it had a very hard time to sell through its first shipment (~100k) despite the bomba bin, but at the same time Innocence R and Hearts R sold exactly the same on Vita and were most likely higher effort...

So how do they compute these informations to decide whether or not to do a 4th Radiant Mythology and on which platform is really up to them in the end, I just can't see anything else than a spin-off being announced at the next Tales of Festival (PS4 version of Zestiria asides of course).
Namco should do a TotW on both; 3D Radiant Mythology on Vita and 2.5D Narikiri Dungeon 4 on 3DS. I think there's room and a market for each although they'd have to stagger the releases.

They should do more ports to 3DS also. I don't know why they stopped with Abyss when it sold pretty well both domestically and overseas. A Symphonia 3DS port probably would've sold better than it did on PS3.

FluxWaveZ

If you look at the top of the chart, it says:

"It is a ranking of at closing time May 26, 2015"

So it's the ranking at close of play on Tuesday. There will be another one tomorrow which will be its ranking at close of play on Wednesday, and that'll be its final ranking.
Yes. From 8:00 AM May 27th to 8:00 AM May 28th is when this final day is.

I see. That makes sense.

COMG ranking of May 26, 2015

01. [3DS] Youkai Watch Busters (combined) - 308pt
02. [PSV] Kan Colle (combined) - 150pt
03. [3DS] Fire Emblem if (combined) - 146pt

04. [WiiU] Splatoon - 142pt
05. [3DS] Hatsune Miku Project mirai Deluxe - 88pt
06. [PSV] Persona 4 Dancing All Night (combined) - 58pt
07. [3DS] Dragon Ball Z ultra Ultimate Fighter - 52pt
08. [PS4] Devil May Cry 4 (Special Edition) - 29pt
09. [3DS] Stella Glow - 28pt
10. [3DS] Dragon Quest VIII - 25pt
11. [PSV] IA / VT -COLORFUL- - 24pt
12. [PS4] FINAL FANTASY XIV - 21pt
13. [3DS] PoPoLoCrois Harvest Moon - 19pt
14. [PSV] Cross Ange - Rondo of angel and dragon without a quest - 19pt
15. [PSV] Makai Shin Trillion (Limited Edition) - 18pt

DQ8 debuted 3 days ago, preorders seems slow at the moment, doesn't they ?

COMG ranking of May 26, 2015

01. [3DS] Youkai Watch Busters (combined) - 308pt
02. [3DS] Fire Emblem if (combined) - 185pt
03. [PSV] Kan Colle (combined) - 150pt

04. [WiiU] Splatoon - 142pt
05. [3DS] Hatsune Miku Project mirai Deluxe - 88pt
06. [PSV] Persona 4 Dancing All Night (combined) - 58pt
07. [3DS] Dragon Ball Z ultra Ultimate Fighter - 52pt
08. [PS4] Devil May Cry 4 (Special Edition) - 29pt
09. [3DS] Stella Glow - 28pt
10. [3DS] Dragon Quest VIII - 25pt
11. [PSV] IA / VT -COLORFUL- - 24pt
12. [PS4] FINAL FANTASY XIV - 21pt
13. [3DS] PoPoLoCrois Harvest Moon - 19pt
14. [PSV] Cross Ange - Rondo of angel and dragon without a quest - 19pt
15. [PSV] Makai Shin Trillion (Limited Edition) - 18pt

DQ8 debuted 3 days ago, preorders seems slow at the moment, doesn't they ?

fixed ;)

is the special pack counted as 2 units ?

I don't remember what happened for ORAS, but I clearly remember that Famitsu didn't count Soul Sacrifice or EDF2 and EDF3 for Vita as 2 units for the special edition with 2 copies of the game
Same for FFX remake : FFX, FFX-2 and FFX + FFX-2 were counted as separate games

iirc of course (about FFX, cause i'm 100% sure about SS and EDF), but usually if the price is the same (Pokemon, Youkai Watch, Rockman EXE, Inazuma 11) the sales are cumulative, if price changes they split the sales (GTAV and GTAV bargain edition, the game is the same, everything, even the cover, but different price and counted as 2 games)

is the special pack counted as 2 units ?

I don't remember what happened for ORAS, but I clearly remember that Famitsu didn't count Soul Sacrifice or EDF2 and EDF3 for Vita as 2 units for the special edition with 2 copies of the game
Same for FFX remake : FFX, FFX-2 and FFX + FFX-2 were counted as separate games

iirc of course (about FFX, cause i'm 100% sure about SS and EDF), but usually if the price is the same (Pokemon, Youkai Watch, Rockman EXE, Inazuma 11) the sales are cumulative, if price changes they split the sales (GTAV and GTAV bargain edition, the game is the same, everything, even the cover, but different price and counted as 2 games)

The LE won't be counted as 2 units. It will likely be its own SKU similar to FFX+FFX-2 and Ico+SotC.
How was the pricing on those?

Anyway we could just go back to talking about mobile or something... :p

crinale

I hope FEif gets the same promotion as Splatoon. >.>

Decent promotion? Absolutely. However the same promotion as Splatoon is asking way too much IMHO (I don't think Nintendo will do it anyway either).

Yup. I wonder what SE's sales target were.

Game should thrive on mobile if ever there is a new one, but a re-skin will not suffice and I think that's what happened here. Many thought Bravely Second was a re-skin of the first, and the marketing felt they were going in that direction too - much like to what you implied in some of your earlier posts.

Recently our super secret source posted a small entry saying people should be aware of difference between games with legs and games retailers are dumping stocks (they both look like to have legs just by looking at sales figures). He said MK8, YW and Minecraft are former, and Theatrhythm DQ, P&D Mario and BD are later. This kinda explains how much SE stuffed the retailer channel by so many copies of BD.

duckroll

Mistwalker's ASH is one of the most memorable overshipped bomba bin game to me. 58k debut, 151k LTD, on paper it looks like it could be a cult hit with amazing word of mouth like Demon's Souls (36k debut, 168k LTD), but in reality Nintendo managed to overship a ton of copies and no one wanted the game so it was dumped at something like 900yen by a bunch of retailers.

Mistwalker's ASH is one of the most memorable overshipped bomba bin game to me. 58k debut, 151k LTD, on paper it looks like it could be a cult hit with amazing word of mouth like Demon's Souls (36k debut, 168k LTD), but in reality Nintendo managed to overship a ton of copies and no one wanted the game so it was dumped at something like 900yen by a bunch of retailers.

nah you wanna know something even more absurd? some guy tried to pass off W101's Japanese sales as an example of a game with legs

I was like :lol

Avabel, a Monster Hunter style rpg or something similar has CM running on trains, yesterday watched on Yamanote, now on Chuou

never heard of it, is it popular?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
nah you wanna know something even more absurd? some guy tried to pass off W101's Japanese sales as an example of a game with legs

I was like :lol

Well to hit 27K or so (according to MC?) it must have hit bargain bins lol. Are there examples of games don't even move units in bargain bins?

L~A

Interesting tidbit about the new N3DSXL colour. Checked regularly in the past few months, and the White 3DSXL was always listed as "production stopped", but not "discontinued" (meaning they were still shipping units to retailers).

Now, there's no more mention of production beign stopped. Really curious, I thought they were discontinuing it too (especially since the new N3DSXL is white).

hiska-kun

Media Create will have it as separate SKU but Famitsu won't. It wasn't clear with OR/AS if double pack was counted as 1 or 2 sales.

Famitsu Sales: Week 47, 2014 (Nov 17 - Nov 23)

01./00. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.937) - 1.534.593 / NEW <60-80%>

Dengeki Sales: Week 47, 2014 (Nov 17 - Nov 23)

01./00. [3DS] Pokemon Alpha Sapphire (Pokemon) {2014.11.21} - 801.829 / NEW <80%>
02./00. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby (Pokemon) {2014.11.21} - 700.494 / NEW <80%>
Total: 1.502.323

Media Create Sales: Week 47, 2014 (Nov 17 - Nov 23)

01./00. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.937) - 1.327.671 / NEW
02./00. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby/Pokemon Alpha Sapphire: Dual Pack <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥9.874) - 90.497 / NEW
Total: 1.418.168

Media Create's comment

“Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire” sold 1.509 million copies mainly to returning users

&#12539; Due to the release of popular title “Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire,” total software sales amounted to 1,854,058 copies (290.87% of last week).
They didn’t reach, however, the weekly sales in the second week of October (total software sales: 1,854,220 copies) when “Monster Hunter 4G” was released, placing the second largest weekly sales in this year.

&#12539; Top-ranked “Pokémon Alpha Sapphire” (714 thousand copies) and second-ranked “Pokémon Omega Ruby” (614 thousand copies) sold 1.328 million copies in total.
If we include “Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire Double Pack” as 2 copies per 1 unit, they were 1.509 million copies.
The latest installment was a remake of “Pokémon Ruby/ Sapphire” released in November 2002, and they didn’t reach initial weekly sales of 1.867 million copies of “X” (961 thousand copies) and “Y” (906 thousand copies) released in October 2013.
But, they were almost the same as total sales of 1.443 million copies of past remake title “Soul Silver” (723 thousand copies) and “Heart Gold” (720 thousand copies), although a single comparison is impossible because an estimating period in the latest installment in the first week is a day longer.

&#12539; According to our data about purchasers, as for age of purchasers of “Alpha Sapphire” in initial week, the highest was around twenties, so it seems that it was purchased mainly by the returning users who had played its previous installment, “Ruby/ Sapphire”.
Meanwhile, the proportion of 15 and under was significantly lower than that of “X” and “Soul Silver,” so it is noteworthy whether they will attract young users in the end of the year selling season, when the demand for a gift will go up.

For me it's clear. Famitsu and Dengeki counted as two copies. Media Create as different SKUs and one copy. But later in the comment they noted that could be counted as two (and it's close enough to Famitsu and Dengeki)

crinale

Mm? How do you get 60k?
I really don't get anything from today's update.

The anagram he put can be re-arranged as "megaman", and it is Rock-Man (or synonym for 60,000) in Japanese.

Edit: Oh he updated the link and now it blatantly shows Megaman. Now it is more obvious lol.
And I also see 1K copies of XB1 version.

hiska-kun

The anagram he put can be re-arranged as "megaman", and it is Rock-Man (or synonym for 60,000) in Japanese.

Edit: Oh he updated the link and now it blatantly shows Megaman. Now it is more obvious lol.

Ah now I see Megaman with the new update

So Puzzle Leaks:

[PS4] The Witcher 3 ~60000
[XB1] The Witcher 3 ~1000

SmokyDave

The hints on that blog make me want to learn Japanese. I like the guys style.

I was wondering why Nintendo is pushing Splatoon so hard instead of Xenoblade - then I realised that Xenoblade has near zero potential for Amibo sales while Splatoon can sell tons of little DLC unlock figurines.

Oregano

I was wondering why Nintendo is pushing Splatoon so hard instead of Xenoblade - then I realised that Xenoblade has near zero potential for Amibo sales while Splatoon can sell tons of little DLC unlock figurines.

Pfft Mechamiibos could do killer business.

DrWong

Not the reason I think: Splatoon can become a "mega" IP, Xenoblade can not (to "hardcore", too much systems).

Now give me my Doll amiibo...

you didn't think about the mech amiibos, did you?

Splatoon has just much more broad appeal than Xenoblade.

Bruno MB

I had already forgotten about ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat lol

Your comment made me check how many units were shipped to see how big of a bomba it was, and it was a big one indeed.

[Week 40, 2007] [NDS] ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat (Nintendo) {2007.10.04} - 58.102 / NEW <34,2%> [169.643 units shipped]
[Week 41, 2007] [NDS] ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat (Nintendo) {2007.10.04} - 23.944 / 82.046 <47,7%>
[Week 42, 2007] [NDS] ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat (Nintendo) {2007.10.04} - 9.834 / 91.880 <53,1%>

[Week 52, 2007] [NDS] ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat (Nintendo) {2007.10.04} - * / 126.543
[Week 52, 2008] [NDS] ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat (Nintendo) {2007.10.04} - * / 151.240

It only lasted 3 weeks in the weekly charts, and the last known units shipped number was 172.974 (it got a tiny additional shipment after launch). By the end of 2008 there were still around 20.000 unsold copies left.

I always get sad when I think about Mistwalker, so many hopes shattered.

Fisico

I had already forgotten about ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat lol

Your comment made me check how many units were shipped to see how big of a bomba it was, and it was a big one indeed.

I remember picking up the game for 100¥ in 2012, that explains why :p

I still didn't touch it lol

L~A

Media Create:

PS4 12,096
Vita 11,352
New3DS LL 10,134
Wii U 7,611
New3DS 3,609
PS3 2,627
3DS LL 827
3DS 687