• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 20, 2017 (May 15 - May 21)

Passose

Banned
Takashi Tokita has been in charge of mobile games for a long time. His Switch project is probably just a port.
7bf6a8bc092cf2be51adda90554ec1da.jpg

edit: but I want Chrono Trigger Remake

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Man, in hindsight, Nintendo really fucked up. They'll be leaving a lot of money on the table this year, I can't see them satisfying the demand at all. I couldn't even imagine the insane rush if Pokemon released this year. There's no way.

Ehh. The fact that Splatoon and Monster Hunter are back to back and both have hardware bundles tells me Nintendo is planning on drastically upping supply by July.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Ehh. The fact that Splatoon and Monster Hunter are back to back and both have hardware bundles tells me Nintendo is planning on drastically upping supply by July.

And the fact that Nintendo is in position to do a new 2DS revision launch at the same time.

Quick question for anyone here.
Since I'm assuming Splatoon 2 will follow with the free content like its predecessor, will this content last longer such as the whole of Switch life?(since Splatoon released towards the end of an already dead console and Splatoon 2 is at the beginning of what will likely be a big hit)

DrWong

Since I'm assuming Splatoon 2 will follow with the free content like its predecessor, will this content last longer such as the whole of Switch life?(since Splatoon released towards the end of an already dead console and Splatoon 2 is at the beginning of what will likely be a big hit)
They already confirmed the free updates. Don't know for how long they'll do that but I'm at least expecting for an entire year like for the first Splatoon. Probably more though.

Hellraider

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they do just that. In fact it makes a lot more sense to support it as an evergreen title instead of just spreading the game's content throughout its first year.

random25

The content update would probably last just about the same as the first one, but the events like Splatfest and other tournaments will probably last much longer. That team will still work on other games after all.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Not to complain about free things, but this is why I think having a business model would actually be better for these titles.

If the trade off here is 1 year of free content in somewhat content light games versus them selling vanity skins or loot boxes with 5 years of content, I'd take the latter every time.

If they're doing 5 years of free content and view their annual sub fee as paying for it, sure, but I'm not convinced that's the case.

If they intend to roll out Splatoon 3 in 2019, that's also a different scenario, but I'm not convinced of that either.

Eolz

I know I've said that before, but I'm really curious to know what the deal is with that version. Makes you wonder when Squeenix would've announced it in the first place if not for Horii being Horii.

I think you quoted the wrong person :p

It will be the interesting to see if ARMS is going to be able to ignite some interest of Japanese gamers or it will flop here.^^

I thought it would do like Pokken, but seems that the testpunch was a great strategy. I don't think it will do some fantastic numbers though.

edit:

I'm expecting Nintendo to do one Splatoon per console, not more than that. So long term support for Splatoon 2.
edit 2: we also don't know what future hardware plans will be for the Switch tbh. If it's a new Switch every 4 years with BC...

noshten

Splatoon 2 will be the reason for paid subs especially in Japan. There is also merchandise, marketing via Splatfests and potentially companion apps or mobile games.
I have no doubt that there is at least two years worth of support planned for the game.

Hellraider

Not to complain about free things, but this is why I think having a business model would actually be better for these titles.

If the trade off here is 1 year of free content in somewhat content light games versus them selling vanity skins or loot boxes with 5 years of content, I'd take the latter every time.

If they're doing 5 years of free content and view their annual sub fee as paying for it, sure, but I'm not convinced that's the case.

If they intend to roll out Splatoon 3 in 2019, that's also a different scenario, but I'm not convinced of that either.

Have there been no hints at all of Nintendo introducing a service-like microtransactions model with Splatoon 2? This, combined with the annual online multiplayer fee and judging by the fact they go hard with dlc with franchises like Fire Emblem, I'd expect them to go that way with Splatoon 2 sooner rather than later.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Have there been no hints at all of Nintendo introducing a service-like microtransactions model with Splatoon 2? This, combined with the annual online multiplayer fee and judging by the fact they go hard with dlc with franchises like Fire Emblem, I'd expect them to go that way with Splatoon 2 sooner rather than later.
It's a bit harder to say because Nintendo offers IntSys a lot of leeway in determining their business models, even if Nintendo wouldn't do the same thing for internally developed titles.

Like IntSys had been wanting to make a Fire Emblem mobile gacha game for a while, and when Nintendo announced they were going mobile, IntSys went to Nintendo and proposed making Fire Emblem Heroes. IntSys even put the Awakening/Fates team on it, including the same senior staff and director, whereas Nintendo outsourced a lot more work to DeNA. Nintendo has noted that they themselves are less comfortable with that mobile monetization model, though have softened up a bit in the face of Super Mario Run's underperformance, and Fire Emblem's over performance.

But so far they've said nothing of Splatoon post launch monetization unless I've missed something. They do have DLC for a lot of their games, but microtransactions are a step further.

Sterok

Given how Nintendo tends to follow industry trends about 5 years late, I expect Mario Kart 9 and Splatoon 3 to introduce loot boxes or whatever. They'll get to it eventually long after everyone else has made billions on them.

For some reason Mochizuki...

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/868466467062206464

posted the link to his article from last year when the CEO of Pokémon said they would make Pokémon games for the Switch.

Probably just a reminder and not much of a hint since it's probably the next big thing to announce after Monster Hunter for Switch.

Edit: A reminder that he does get insider info like when he first reported the NX Dev kits.

That does sound like a hint to me, but I guess we'll see soon enough.

Eolz

@Sterok: Well, you basically have lootboxes already in ARMS.
I just don't think they want to focus on a single business model, which is great. One working for a game is not necessarily the best idea for another.

Ōkami

Famitsu Digital Estimates (May 27 - April 30th)

01. [SWI] Snipperclips: Cut it Out, Together! - 58.078 / 97.804 (Nintendo) {03/03/2017}
02. [PS4] Wolfenstein: The New Order - 38.364 / 39.639 (Bethesda Softworks) {05/06/2014}*
03. [SWI] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 26.997 / 26.997 (Nintendo) {28/04/2017}
04. [3DS] Monster Hunter XX - 18.222 / 101.040 (Capcom) {18/03/2017}
05. [PS4] How to Survive 2 - 17.532 / 17.532 (Spike Chunsoft) {25/04/2017}
06. [PS4] God of War III: Remastered - 16.174 / 58.737 (SCE) {16/07/2015}*
07. [3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - 13.710 / 13.710 (Nintendo) {20/04/2017}
08. [PS4] Warriors Stars - 11.689 / 11.689 (Koei Tecmo) {30/03/2017}
09. [PS4] LEGO Worlds - 8.488 / 8.488 (Warner Interactive Japan) {06/04/2017}

10. [SWI] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 8.197 / 41.697 (Nintendo) {03/03/2017}
11. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition - 8.185 / 277.170 (SCE) {25/12/2014}*
12. [PS4] Nier: Automata - 7.839 / 57.708 (Square Enix) {23/02/2017}
13. [PS4] PaRappa the Rapper Remastered - 7.542 / 7.542 (SCE) {20/04/2017}
14. [PSV] Dungeon Travelers 2-2: The Maiden Who Fell into Darkness and the Book of Beginnings - 7.057 / 7.057 (Aqua Plus) {20/04/2017}
15. [PS4] Blue Reflection: Maboroshi ni Mau - Shoujo no Ken - 5.937 / 5.937 (Koei Tecmo) {30/03/2017}

16. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands - 4.429 / 34.373 (Ubisoft) {09/03/2017}
17. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn - 4.301 / 51.780 (SIE) {02/03/2017}
18. [PS4] Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades Edition - 3.941 / 3.941 (From Software) {20/04/2017}
19. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X - 3.544 / 3.544 (Bandai Namco) {27/04/2017}

20. [SWI] 1 2 Switch - 3.022 / 8.839 (Nintendo) {03/03/2017}
21. [3DS] Mario Sports Superstars - 2.892 / 2.892 (Nintendo) {30/03/2017}
22. [PSV] Blue Reflection: Maboroshi ni Mau - Shoujo no Ken - 2.481 / 2.481 (Koei Tecmo) {30/03/2017}
23. [PSV] Warriors Stars - 2.338 / 2.338 (Koei Tecmo) {30/03/2017}
24. [3DS] Pro Baseball Famista Climax - 2.216 / 2.216 (Bandai Namco) {20/04/2017}

25. [WIU] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 1.863 / 8.563 (Nintendo) {03/03/2017}
26. [3DS] Pokémon Sun / Moon - 1.817 / 92.965 (Pokémon Co.) {18/11/2016}
27. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 ReMIX - 1.796 / 9.530 (Square Enix) {09/03/2017}
28. [SWI] Super Bomberman R - 1.565 / 5.387 (Konami) {03/03/2017}
29. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS - 834 / 18.424 (Nintendo) {08/12/2016}
30. [PSV] Re:Zero - Kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - Death or Kiss - 711 / 711 (5pb.) {30/03/2017}

*LTD is incomplete month(s) of data may be missing

Top Downloads of 2017

01. [PS4] Assassin's Creed: Unity - 169.273 (Ubisoft) - {20/11/2014}**
02. [PS4] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - 159.885 (Ubisoft) - {22/02/2014}**
03. [3DS] Monster Hunter XX - 101.040 (Capcom) - {18/03/2017}
04. [SWI] Snipperclips: Cut it Out, Together! - 97.804 (Nintendo) - {03/03/2017}
05. [PS4] Let it Die - 63.675 (Gung Ho) - {02/02/2017}**
06. [PS4] God of War III: Remastered - 58.737 (SCE) - {16/07/2015}**
07. [PS4] Nier: Automata - 57.708 (Square Enix) - {23/02/2017}
08. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn - 51.780 (SIE) - {02/03/2017}
09. [PS4] Nioh - 47.683 (Koei Tecmo) - {09/02/2017}**
10. [SWI] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 41.697 (Nintendo) - {03/03/2017}

**YTD incomplete, months(s) of data may be missing

Mory Dunz

That..... does not sound a lot when MH4G hit 1.4 mil outside of jpn too with much smaller budget too.

That's the jumping off point I said.

MH isn't suddenly going to sell 3 million in the United States alone. But it definitely would need to do at least 1 million there to signal that growth Capcom wants.

the question of course, could it?

But eventually if Capcom was going PS4 for that western growth they'd want it be a multimillion seller in NPD at least.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Switch retail release slate in Japan:

05/26 Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers
06/01 Seiken Densetsu Collection
06/16 Arms
06/29 LEGO City Undercover
07/20 Cars 3: Shouri e no Michi
07/20 Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star (Limited Edition)
07/21 Splatoon 2
08/24 One Piece: Unlimited World Red - Deluxe Edition
08/25 Monster Hunter XX
09/19 NBA 2K18
09/21 Dragon Quest X: All in One Package

Other 2017 Titles
2017 Fire Emblem Warriors
2017 Super Mario Odyssey
2017 Xenoblade Chronicles 2
2017 Nights of Azure 2
2017 Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2

Ōkami

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe first week on digital were twice as high as the original game on Wii U.

That, Snipperclips and Zelda show a good start for digital sales on Switch.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Unlike 3DS, Switch demographics so far give increased digital sales.

Minecraft estimates next month will be telling.

Wii U Edition did 77k in the 3 weeks of December 2015.

casiopao

I thought it would do like Pokken, but seems that the testpunch was a great strategy. I don't think it will do some fantastic numbers though.

Doing like Pokken is a bad number as ARMS and Pokken had totally different hype level, marketing push and different platform situation where Switch had more active owners right now vs Wii U during Pokken release.

I am really interested to see how far Pokken can go here.^^

That's the jumping off point I said.

MH isn't suddenly going to sell 3 million in the United States alone. But it definitely would need to do at least 1 million there to signal that growth Capcom wants.

the question of course, could it?

But eventually if Capcom was going PS4 for that western growth they'd want it be a multimillion seller in NPD at least.

Then.....that is a terrible business decision there as not only it will lose that 3 million sales in Japan but it will only hit 1 million sales in US.....with the budget much much more than 3DS release.

Eolz

Doing like Pokken is a bad number as ARMS and Pokken had totally different hype level, marketing push and different platform situation where Switch had more active owners right now vs Wii U during Pokken release.

I am really interested to see how far Pokken can go here.^^

It's still a fighting game.

Mory Dunz

Then.....that is a terrible business decision there as not only it will lose that 3 million sales in Japan but it will only hit 1 million sales in US.....with the budget much much more than 3DS release.

Well, obv it'd be a bad decision as it stands.

That's why I brought up numbers. So we can actually get specific when we say "growth in the west on PS4". Cause "growth" doesn't mean much by itself. I want numbers on how much would it need to be selling to do right.

If MH5 were exclusive to PS4, you'd have to think it'd be ~1.5m in Japan. So to make up lost portable sales, overcome western 3ds sales, and overcome budget, MH would have to turn into a genuine chart topper. i.e. >2 million NA, >2 Million Europe, <1m ROTW.

and even then we're still looking at ~6.5 million. Well, it'd be growth at least.

EDarkness

That's why I brought up numbers. So we can actually get specific when we say "growth in the west on PS4". Cause "growth" doesn't mean much by itself. I want numbers on how much would it need to be selling to do right.

If MH5 were exclusive to PS4, you'd have to think it'd be ~1.5m in Japan. So to make up lost portable sales, overcome western 3ds sales, and overcome budget, MH would have to turn into a genuine chart topper. i.e. >2 million NA, >2 Million Europe, <1m ROTW.

and even then we're still looking at ~6.5 million. Well, it'd be growth at least.

Has Monster Hunter ever sold over 1 million on a console in Japan?

casiopao

1.5 million in Japan...... even FFXV is not able to reach that FFXIII number on Japan right now bro. Especially if the rumor that this is a bastardized version for the West audience. I would not even able to see it reach 1 million.

It's still a fighting game.

Then Nintendo wasted Mario Kart team into making a game which had small audience pool then.

sinonobu

Banned

It won't sell over 1.5 million copies. I can see it barely making 1 mil especially since it's 'westernized' version of the game and there's still original version of the game coming out in Switch.

Eolz

Then Nintendo wasted Mario Kart team into making a game which had small audience pool then.

I'm not saying it won't be a million seller WW. The fact that it's developed as a service will help for its popularity over time.
I just don't see it being a huge success in Japan. Doesn't mean that it won't find its niche there and be successful in its own right. But it's a specific genre.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
It's a bit harder to say because Nintendo offers IntSys a lot of leeway in determining their business models, even if Nintendo wouldn't do the same thing for internally developed titles.

Like IntSys had been wanting to make a Fire Emblem mobile gacha game for a while, and when Nintendo announced they were going mobile, IntSys went to Nintendo and proposed making Fire Emblem Heroes. IntSys even put the Awakening/Fates team on it, including the same senior staff and director, whereas Nintendo outsourced a lot more work to DeNA. Nintendo has noted that they themselves are less comfortable with that mobile monetization model, though have softened up a bit in the face of Super Mario Run's underperformance, and Fire Emblem's over performance.

But so far they've said nothing of Splatoon post launch monetization unless I've missed something. They do have DLC for a lot of their games, but microtransactions are a step further.

How much revenue has Fire Emblem mobile made Wordwide va Mario Run?

Ōkami

First month of digital

[PS3] Minecraft: 28.589 (1 week)
[PSV] Minecraft: 79.576 (4 weeks)
[PS4] Minecraft: n/a
[WIU] Minecraft: 77.233 (3 weeks)

The difference between Mario Kart and Zelda is of 20k with digital, Mario Kart will outsell it within 3 weeks, both games will be above 500k by the end of June.

Minecraft Switch will likely be the best selling digital game of the year, Snipperclips won't be far behind.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
[PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Mojang AB) {2014.12.25} (¥1.904) - 49.479 (5 weeks)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How much revenue has Fire Emblem mobile made Wordwide va Mario Run?

Nintendo only specified that it was more revenue for Fire Emblem despite having less than 1/10th the downloads, but working out their numbers and Fire Emblem's continued success, we're looking at something over $100 million so far for Fire Emblem versus the $50-$70 million range for Super Mario Run. That'll grow a lot larger in deficit over time too, since Fire Emblem is still earning big, while Mario is not making much at all.

Mind, obviously Super Mario Run still made a lot of money for what it is, so they're still considering more paid apps, but they noted it was below expectations, and that they will use varying business models going forward.

Datschge

The wildcard in play there is paid online. With paid online Nintendo has an increased interest in keeping their online multiplayer games popular. "Free content" like done with Splatoon on Wii U can go a long way making the online fee acceptable for a bigger audience.

LOCK

06/16 Arms
07/21 Splatoon 2
08/25 Monster Hunter XX
09/19 NBA 2K18
2017 Super Mario Odyssey
The only noticeably gap is between Splatoon and MH.

Of course Japan will be rocking the 3DS and PS4 with DQ 11.

Eolz

The only noticeably gap is between Splatoon and MH.

Of course Japan will be rocking the 3DS and PS4 with DQ 11.

Guess there might be some small nintendo announcements at E3 for that?
Even VC and more indie games might be enough to make players happy until then, while past stock issues will still bring more new players.

Oregano

Guess there might be some small nintendo announcements at E3 for that?
Even VC and more indie games might be enough to make players happy until then, while past stock issues will still bring more new players.

For Japan they don't need anything for a while after Splatoon or they could let smaller third parties fill in the gap and possibly reap the rewards.

For the west Skyrim has to launch some time and I'm sure Nintendo wants to make something of a big deal of it.

KtSlime

06/16 Arms
07/21 Splatoon 2
08/25 Monster Hunter XX
09/19 NBA 2K18
2017 Super Mario Odyssey

You forgot Xenoverse 2 and Yoru no nai Kuni 2.

VLQ

I know I've said that before, but I'm really curious to know what the deal is with that version. Makes you wonder when Squeenix would've announced it in the first place if not for Horii being Horii.

What if Nintendo is WW publisher of DQXI for Switch?

Top Bottom