• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 21, 2014 (May 19 - May 25)

That and the fact Microsoft has a surprising amount of Japanese developers still "loyal" to them after the last generation. I mean what it's getting close to or more Japanese games than the PS4 has right now supposedly (which is all kinds of sad).

I guess Microsoft treated them well because their games certainly didn't sell.

It's not like it's going to last long, if previous generations are an indicator.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Ah yes, I definitely wasn't saying that Wii U would not break 15k. I just don't think that because this is now a big game Wii U is guranteed to shoot up. I actually think Wii U will sell over 20k, and then stay there for a few weeks instead of a large boost to 30-40k in a week.

Oh, I agree!

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It's not like it's going to last long, if previous generations are an indicator.

Eh the mere fact they stuck them with means it did last long. Otherwise they wouldn't be here right now.

Since it's obvious as hell XB1 has no chance of succeeding in japan. 5pb sold X360 games through it's lifetime supposedly. So yeah.

No doubt it was probably a profitable venture for them hence why they're trying again.

Eh the mere fact they stuck them with means it did last long. Otherwise they wouldn't be here right now.

Since it's obvious as hell XB1 had no chance of succeeding in japan.

It lasted that long because they established a niche market for a few genres.
We had franchises that started as 360 exclusives, moved on to multiplatform releases and ended up as ps3 exclusives in this previous generation.
I'm pretty sure the same will happen again.

DaBoss

You guys can stop pouncing on Psycho_Mantis. He was talking about this post which mentioned 20K as a prediction.
Ah yes, I definitely wasn't saying that Wii U would not break 15k. I just don't think that because this is now a big game Wii U is guranteed to shoot up. I actually think Wii U will sell over 20k, and then stay there for a few weeks instead of a large boost to 30-40k in a week.
I would imagine that more people would buy a Wii U at launch week since there are bundles which would help sales significantly. I think it will have a sharp drop after that and then slowly down.

I imagine that many people who would buy MK8 already own a Wii U.

That and the fact Microsoft has a surprising amount of Japanese developers still "loyal" to them after the last generation. I mean what it's getting close to or more Japanese games than the PS4 has right now supposedly (which is all kinds of sad).

Girls-gif-08.gif

PS4 Japanese games announced/released 2014:

Yakuza Ishin
FF14
DW7wm
Nobunagas Ambition
Natural Doctrine
Dragon Ball Z game
Samurai Warriors 4
Akiba Trip 2
Omega Quintet
Lily Bergamo
Deep Down
Guilty Gear Xrd

But it hasn't sold that yet. Easy tiger.

Err why are you pointing out the obvious? I don't get it.

20k seems low but it is the WiiU and it doesn't seem MK moved the Wii that much.

L Thammy

I feel like there isn't enough room left for two dedicated gaming systems to be successful in Japan. They're already a niche market as a whole.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Girls-gif-08.gif

Yakuza Ishin
FF14
DW7wm
Nobunagas Ambition
Natural Doctrine
Dragon Ball Z game
Samurai Warriors 4
Akiba Trip 2
Omega Quintet
Lily Bergamo
Deep Down
Guilty Gear Xrd

20k seems low but it is the WiiU and it doesn't seem MK moved the Wii that much.

But have you seen 5pb's games yet? Conversation over.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
We had franchises that started as 360 exclusives, moved on to multiplatform releases and ended up as ps3 exclusives in this previous generation.

And now they're Xbox titles again funny how that works. The point is whatever they did clearly lasted because there' no other reasons some of them continued to support the x360 long after it died, and support its successor (that's going to die a horrible death).

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Girls-gif-08.gif

Yakuza Ishin
FF14
DW7wm
Nobunagas Ambition
Natural Doctrine
Dragon Ball Z game
Samurai Warriors 4
Akiba Trip 2
Omega Quintet
Lily Bergamo
Deep Down
Guilty Gear Xrd

I see cross gen port city. Of not particular large PS3 games at that. It's pretty obvious the Japanese public doesn't care for ports of games they can play on their ps3. Which ps4's biggest issue.

I'd imagine the developers that "stayed loyal" to Xbox were approached by MS going into this generation.

It's not like they'd have any reason to expect XB1 versions of their games to outperform theoretical PS4 versions. Even the genres most closely associated with the 360 early on were performing better on ps3 by the end, iirc.

The question is why is Sony mostly ignoring third parties in Japan. Given how many have moved to mobile or are inclined to stick with last generation consoles, it's clear waiting for them to come to you will leave you with a paltry line up. You need to give them incentives, which is what I assume MS is doing with 5pb.

And now they're Xbox titles again funny how that works. The point is whatever they did clearly lasted because there' no other reasons some of them continued to support the x360 long after it died, and support its successor (that's going to die a horrible death).
The only series I remember specifically going 360 exclusive > multiplat > ps3 exclusive was Tales. I doubt that'll be returning to Xbox.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Go on show us these games. Stop dodging the question at hand here......or are you *gasp* making stuff up.

6 games that may be exclusive would be more than what the ps4 has right now don't you think?

Also the PS4 has been out for since February which makes the comparison even more sad.

We're also talking about the XB1 here, the XB1. The mere fact this is even an argument is what's sad about it.

I didn't say you weren't right, I just said that most of this initial support will dry up, as it did in previous generation, because the difference in install base against the WiiU or PS4 will be too big to ignore, as it did in previous generations.

Opiate

Who else feels that come december WiiU's YTD will be higher than PS4's?

It's plausible, but it seems like a fight to be the world's tallest midget.

A general comment not specifically directed to Fularu: I sometimes feel like console wars will continue to wage even as the whole continent they fight on sinks in to the ocean.

6 games that may be exclusive would be more than what the ps4 has right now don't you think?

Also the PS4 has been out for since February which makes the comparison even more sad.

We're also talking about the XB1 here, the XB1. The mere fact this is even an argument is what's sad about it.

lose to or more Japanese games than the PS4 has right now supposedly (which is all kinds of sad).

Oh so now we are moving goalposts to exclusives. Gotcha.

Are those 5pb games even exclusives?

There is no argument. See the PS4 list I posted and how you decided not to post an XB1 list. That is where this "argument" ended.

RalchAC

PS4 has "untitled Gundam game" and "untitled IdolMaster game". Since you aren't talking about facts but posibilities we could add those two games to the list.

And Yakuza Ishin, despite being on the PS3 too, will do a lot more for the system that those 3 Visual Novels 5bp "may" release exclusively for the Xbox One.

Regarding Infamous sales:

Infamous: 14.829
(PS3 install base: 3,786,719)

Infamous 2: 33.474
(PS3 install base: 6,737,420)

Infamous: Second Son: 34.801
(PS4 install base: 581,182)

I still maintain that PS4 software is doing pretty well given the circumstances; the problem is mostly the dearth of Japanese software combined with a small install base (which is caused by the former).

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Oh so now we are moving goalposts to exclusives. Gotcha.

Are those 5pb games even exclusives?

There is no argument. See the PS4 list I posted and how you decided not to post an XB1 list. That is where this "argument" ended.

I'm moving goal posts because that's a comment I made in jest which you clearly took fairly seriously.

I will never joke again sorry mam.

Also do the words close to mean anything to you Jesus Christ.

Fularu

Banned

A general comment not specifically directed to Fularu: I sometimes feel like console wars will continue to wage even as the whole continent they fight on sinks in to the ocean.
I find console wars prety stupid. Even back in the Amiga/ST days I owned both.

Still back in february few people would have predicted such an outcome. I mean I knew Japan was giving up on home consoles but this is beyond sad.

PS: come back to D3, we miss you :(

DrWong

Because it's console wars, not mobile wars. Not yet.

I'm moving goal posts because that's a comment I made in jest which you clearly took fairly seriously.

I will never joke again sorry mam.

Also do the words close to mean anything to you Jesus Christ.

Oooooh its all a joke now hahaha I see.

Also do the words, post an XB1 list and lets see if it's close mean nothing to you Jesus Christ.

L Thammy

I still have bitter Genesis fanboys ranting at me about how all SNES games suck. Not even time can end the console wars.

EDIT: Time is also unable to stop list wars

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Oooooh its all a joke now hahaha I see.

Also do the words, post an XB1 list and lets see if it's close mean nothing to you Jesus Christ.

Now? Plz don't tell me you honestly thought I was seriously the whole time...

plz....

I mean I thought the mocking tone would have given it away....

I don't see how say 25k sales would be bad (for Wii U) next week if it maintains a consistent level of sales for the next couple of weeks. Anyone truly expecting some miraculous recovery for Wii U with its horrible lineup based on one game was fooling themselves anyway. The software sales are more important anyway.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I don't see how say 25k sales would be bad (for Wii U) next week if it maintains a consistent level of sales for the next couple of weeks. Anyone truly expecting some miraculous recovery for Wii U with its horrible lineup based on one game was fooling themselves anyway.

Well you can't say they weren't afraid to dream a little bigger. Even if that dream comes crashing down soon enough.

Fularu

Banned
I don't see how say 25k sales would be bad (for Wii U) next week if it maintains a consistent level of sales for the next couple of weeks. Anyone truly expecting some miraculous recovery for Wii U with its horrible lineup based on one game was fooling themselves anyway. The software sales are more important anyway.

The WiiU release list till december is prety good actually compared to PS4's

Between MK8, Bayo 2, Hyrule Warriors, Frame Zero and Smash it should move "some" hardware.

I still have bitter Genesis fanboys ranting at me about how all SNES games suck. Not even time can end the console wars.

EDIT: Time is also unable to stop list wars

Lol, yes indeed......Super sucks bro, Genesis has more games......... I remember those days, funny that it's still actually happening though.

Now? Plz don't tell me you honestly thought I was seriously the whole time...

plz....

I mean I thought the mocking tone would have given it away....

I'm so sorry I had no idea this post was all a joke,

it really is my fault, I mean after this statement,

I mean what it's getting close to or more Japanese games than the PS4 has right now supposedly

I really should of taken your entire post as a joke.

The WiiU release list till december is prety good actually compared to PS4's

Between MK8, Bayo 2, Hyrule Warriors, Frame Zero and Smash it should move "some" hardware.

Yeah PS4 has a lineup that rivals Vita's 2012 omg how did this happen shit tier. Wii U's actually having games wins by default. It's still a bad lineup because there is nothing in between those breaks.

I mean come on if this list is accurate. And there is very little time for something big to come in the next couple months.

Japan

05/29
Dead Nation: Mokushiroku Edition
Trials Fusion

06/05
Assault Suit Leynos
FIFA 14 (PlayStation 4 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Limited Pack)
Wolfenstein: The New Order

06/12
Thief

06/26
Musou Orochi 2 Ultimate
Watch Dogs

07/03
Akiba's Trip 2

07/17
Murdered: Tamashii no Yobu Koe

08/07
Sniper Elite III

09/18
Omega Quintet

10/09
Dragon Age: Inquisition

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Blame the mods. Your "Saint Titanfall" tag makes detecting sarcasm harder XD

Oh well was just a little banter based on my shock that XB1 was actually getting a number of Japanese games. Which doesn't really make much sense but anyway.

I'm so sorry I had no idea this post was all a joke,

it really is my fault, I mean after this statement,

I really should of taken your entire post as a joke.

Fair enough I didn't make it clear. It's just my original statement was so so vague I didn't know someone would call me out what was clearly a bad joke I guess.

RalchAC

Oh well was just a little banter based on my shock that XB1 was actually getting a number of Japanese games. Which doesn't really make much sense but anyway.

TBH those kind of make sense. It seems that 5bp found some success with the shmups and VN there. Steins;Gate was a 360 timed exclusive iirc.

test_account

XP-39C²
sörine;113759158 said:
Saying the mid tier saved PS3 is a little inaccurate though. Mid tier games like Winning Eleven or Musuo used to be million sellers, what happened is PS3 brought down these brands from top to mid tier.
Generally speaking, i think there should be a more objective description on what "saved" is referring to. Right now it could mean a lot of things, it depends on what the person saying it is referring to. Its possible to say for example that the Vita is saved because it gets a steady stream of support and it doesnt look like the system will be pulled from the market any time soon, like several people predicted early on due to the very poor start (not just sales, but also the number of announced games). With the PS3, saying that all the games saved it is probably referring to that it would get close to 10 million units sold if it wasnt for all those games released.

sörine;113764267 said:
While this is definitely true I'm not sure how much bearing it has on Japan specifically. It's not like FIFA took the market there.
I think its more a natural decline than a specific system being the reason. The PSP version used to sell quite a few copies, but that has also declined a lot despite a 3DS version also being available, and it still havnt maintained what the portable version of Winning Eleven used to sell.

saichi

In one of the longest console generations that one million seller barely means anything. Many of Japan's more popular consoles/handhelds get million sellers within the first year As pointed out the Vita already has a 500k and it's what getting to 3 years old?

There's nothing significant about a 8 year old console have a single million sellers a few games above 500k. PS3 wasn't a AAA console in Japan not remotely. It's a testament to how little million sellers matter to more mid tier based consoles than the opposite.

As Road pointed out. VITA has no game sold over 500K at this time.

Your original point was that "PS3 is a mid tier and niche machine like VITA". While PS3 was not a AAA console in Japan, it does get most of the big franchises. It's just that most games from those big franchises failed to sell over 1 million on PS3 and ended up between 500K-900K. On top of that, PS3 got the real mid-tier titles which sells between 200K-500K.

On the other hand, VITA doesn't even get any of those big franchises PS3 gets and is really relying on the mid-tier games which is why we see no titles selling over 500K and most of the big VITA titles are between 200K-500K.

Top Bottom