• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 21, 2014 (May 19 - May 25)

Fularu

Banned
There is nothing that indicates this.
It took 9 years for the 360 to ship 75 million units, do you seriously believe that either the One or the PS4 will ship more than 60 million units in 5-6 years? With Japan gone and the gaming habits as heavily changed as they are?

The "new generation" won't last 8 years, I'll e surprised if it lasts more than 5

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think I vaguely remember somebody saying that last week. Have to figure he's the only one on gaf who thought that.

Just like how Knack outsold 3D World on the first day of release.

At the time I posted that, I still had to see the thread about WD having the best first day ever for Ubisoft, now I get it. However, thanks :p

EGOMON

PS4 needs Japanese oriented games i don't know why people are so shocked about these numbers it almost sound faked. FFXV, MGS5 and KH3 will explode on the chart and guaranteed to sell a lot of PS4s

Scum

It stills defeat the purpose of mobile. Mobile is not appealing if you have to buy a separate device. And the iPhone or Galaxy crowd is not going to switch to WiiPhone, quote me on this :p
"Hybrid" might have been a poor choice of a word, but I meant that Nintendo should create a handheld, based on new tech, that can quite easily last a generation (like the Vita for instance), that also supports the majority if not all of the mobile engines so that it will make it easy to receive mobile game offerings as well.

For example, I don't think Capcom's mobile engine can run on the 3DS.

Comparing 3ds/vita sales to their predecessors, I would say that market has already been cratered.

The market has signficantly declined, but the 3DS is still able to produce games that sell 4-5 million copies. I'm talking of a Nintendo handheld topping out around PS3 sales with much less 3rd party support.

It took 9 years for the 360 to ship 75 million units, do you seriously believe that either the One or the PS4 will ship more than 60 million units in 5-6 years? With Japan gone and the gaming habits as heavily changed as they are?

The "new generation" won't last 8 years, I'll e surprised if it lasts more than 5

You know that currently PS4 is outpacing PS2 and Wii in west? I am not saying it will keep that pace but it will absolutely sell more than 60 million. I know some people really like to predict doom and gloom for everything but there is nothing indicating that we will have leading console with less than 60 million sales. Absolutely nothing.

The 360 did that even as a complete non-factor in Japan.

I won't make any bold proclamations for what the PS4 can do, but I think it'll be fairly successful worldwide if not in Japan.

Xbox One lol

Comparing 3ds/vita sales to their predecessors, I would say that market has already been cratered.

as long as Nintendo can maintain Game Boy levels of sales for their portables, they should be fine
so in Japan they're good, elsewhere....not so much

edit: I'm not sure if the Mario Kart 8>Watch Dogs comment was in last week's Media Create thread or not actually

as long as Nintendo can maintain Game Boy levels of sales for their portables, they should be fine

I am not sure 3DS will reach even GBA globally. It's slowing down rather quickly (It's falling behind PSPs pace in US for example) and Nintendo has already released their traditional big hitters (and cheaper model).

Lexxism

I am not sure 3DS will reach even GBA globally. It's slowing down rather quickly (It's falling behind PSPs pace in US for example) and Nintendo has already released their traditional big hitters.

Really? I thought 3DS is ahead of PSP in US but it won't last long since it's down YOY this year.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
According to Nintendo's Q4 report, Wii U shipments in Japan stand at 1.81 million. With Mario Kart around the corner, Wii U shipments should stand at 2 million in Q1.

Comparatively, Wii U's hardware and software shipments globally in Q1 last year stood at 160k and 1.03 million respectively. Dat growth ;)

What are people's expectations for Mario Kart 8?

Shipments of 600k to retailers in their initial lot?

but that's pretty much what I said >_>

Well if they don't reach GBA that is not maintaining GameBoy level of sales. Not to mention that even if they barely reach that 80 million this gen (with a lot longer lifespan) barring some miracle there is no way they hit 80 million next gen. Handheld market continues to decrease.

Fularu

Banned
The 360 did that even as a complete non-factor in Japan.

I won't make any bold proclamations for what the PS4 can do, but I think it'll be fairly successful worldwide if not in Japan.

Xbox One lol
It took 9 years for the 360 to do it with :

- beeing irrelevant in Japan
- Havingbthe RRoD fiasco ( which cost them 3 billions and probably inflated the number of units sold to some extent).

I know the PS4 was off to a great start in the west (the one? Not so much) but it's already slowing down in the US and Canada (compared to what the PS2 and Wii were pulling) and is prety much everywhere in Canada (thanks to a 50$ price increase). Nevermind completely cratering in Japan and beeing, for now, completely irrelevant there.

Hype and generation fatigue sold a lot of PS4 in the west, we'll see if those sales are still sustainable in the end.

Well if they don't reach GBA that is not maintaining GameBoy level of sales. Not to mention that even if they barely reach that 80 million this gen (with a lot longer lifespan) barring some miracle there is no way they hit 80 million next gen. Handheld market continues to decrease.

edit: I'm not sure if the Mario Kart 8>Watch Dogs comment was in last week's Media Create thread or not actually

I already made note of that, 3DS is already ahead of GBA's LTD in Japan but far behind everywhere else

Nemecyst

I used to laugh at the comments about "beast mode" when the numbers weren't impressive. Looking at the numbers now, seems like "ant mode". Being the tops of a pathetic chart has to be depressing. Other than Mario Kart, what are the upcoming games that help each of these platforms?

I already made note of that, 3DS is already ahead of GBA's LTD in Japan but far behind everywhere else

Oh. I should have followed that reply chain for longer and see it was about japanese sales (well this is Media create thread lol). I apologize.

- Havingbthe RRoD fiasco ( which cost them 3 billions and probably inflated the number of units sold to some extent).

I know the PS4 was off to a great start in the west (the one? Not so much) but it's already slowing down in the US and Canada (compared to what the PS2 and Wii were pulling) and is prety much everywhere in Canada (thanks to a 50$ price increase). Nevermind completely cratering in Japan and beeing, for now, completely irrelevant there.

Hype and generation fatigue sold a lot of PS4 in the west, we'll see if those sales are still sustainable in the end.

After that Watch_Dogs sales info May numbers could surprise you... Also there is gaming world outside of NA and Japan too. In Europe it's complete PS4 domination as far as the sales go for home consoles (visit PAL charts thread). PS4 will absolutely sell more than 60 million globally.

PS4 will do just fine this gen without Japan. If anything Nintendo will be the most affected by the downward spiral of the videogame industry in Japan.

RM8

"Hybrid" might have been a poor choice of a word, but I meant that Nintendo should create a handheld, based on new tech, that can quite easily last a generation (like the Vita for instance), that also supports the majority if not all of the mobile engines so that it will make it easy to receive mobile game offerings as well.

For example, I don't think Capcom's mobile engine can run on the 3DS.
What would be the price of this handheld, though? The market was pretty clear, a $250 handheld is not desired.

prag16

Banned
You know that currently PS4 is outpacing PS2 and Wii in west? I am not saying it will keep that pace but it will absolutely sell more than 60 million. I know some people really like to predict doom and gloom for everything but there is nothing indicating that we will have leading console with less than 60 million sales. Absolutely nothing.

"Absolutely" is a strong word. Wii was heavily supply constrained to this point, and PS2 may have been as well. The streams will cross by the end of the year, maybe sooner, at least with Wii.

We are coming off the longest generation ever, and consequently the initial pent up demand was significant.

I don't personally think the leading console will be under 60 million, but to say there's "absolutely nothing" indicating it as a possibility, and dismiss the possibility out of hand this early is foolhardy.

EDIT: This will be a fun one to look back on in 5 years: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=806445

Games are what really sold the PS4 in the west just like they always have. Do we really need to discuss this again?

"Absolutely" is a strong word. Wii was heavily supply constrained to this point, and PS2 may have been as well. The streams will cross by the end of the year, maybe sooner, at least with Wii.

We are coming off the longest generation ever, and consequently the initial pent up demand was significant.

I don't personally think the leading console will be under 60 million, but to say there's "absolutely nothing" indicating it as a possibility, and dismiss the possibility out of hand this early is foolhardy.

EDIT: This will be a fun one to look back on in 5 years: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=806445

Well of course absolutely is maybe the wrong term to use when it comes to future forecast of sales of any device but lets just say that it's very very likely that PS4 will hit at least 60 million units. Sure Wii was supply constrained and streams will cross but I just don't know that how with current data you can come to conclusion that days when consoles sold over 60 million are over? That is only based on some gut feeling and not on data.

prag16

Banned

Damn. When do they cross streams? Probably not extremely soon because DC had some horrific weeks, but it seems to pick up eventually, which PS4 may or may not do (depending on release schedule).

Games are what really sold the PS4 in the west just like they always have. Do we really need to discuss this again?

No, but not because you won the argument; rather because it ended up going in circles, pretty much winding up in a stalemate. Either side can (and did) use semantics to make their POV seem obvious.

What would be the price of this handheld, though? The market was pretty clear, a $250 handheld is not desired.
$149 I think would be good. Considering they can already do 3DS tech at $99 (the 2DS, assuming they're not taking a massive hit on production costs) it should be manageable but I doubt they'd launch that low.

Damn. When do they cross streams? Probably not extremely soon because DC had some horrific weeks, but it seems to pick up eventually, which PS4 may or may not do (depending on release schedule).

No, but not because you won the argument; rather because it ended up going in circles, pretty much winding up in a stalemate. Either side can (and did) use semantics to make their POV seem obvious.

Games are the biggest reason. It has the biggest franchises in gaming on it. Add factors such as hype, a new generation and price and you have the PS4.

MarkusRJR

Wow these numbers are horrible. With these sales i doubt we'll see many big Japanese titles beyond massive franchises or first party. RIP Japanese console gaming, hello bad pay to win mobile games.

sörine

Banned
Games are the biggest reason. It has the biggest franchises in gaming on it. Add factors such as hype, a new generation and price and you have the PS4.
Xbox One and Wii U launched with all those same franchises though. I'm not sure the games themselves were really PS4's biggest selling point.

RalchAC

sörine;113817625 said:
Xbox One and Wii U launched with all those same franchises though. I'm not sure the games themselves were really PS4's biggest selling point.

There weren't on the WiiU because they didn't look that much better than on PS360 while the console was more expensive. And it missed some key early 2013 games.

PS4 and Xbox One launched at the same time. So comparisions were totally going to happen. One was cheaper and more powerful while the other more expensive and less powerful. One had been gathering good will from the gaming enthusiasts for months while the other was recovering for one of the biggest shitstorms we've seen on gaming. One was consantly getting "bad news" about resolution and other stuff while the other wasn't.

There were a lot of little things going on at the same time that made the PS4 more succesful than the X1. There you have some.

Fularu

Banned

It stopped selling once it went to 450$ here and the games went from a lot at launch to a trickle right now. So uh... yeah hype definitely played a huge factor in it. Hell, I bought into the god damn hype and I barely play my system.

There weren't on the WiiU because they didn't look that much better than on PS360 while the console was more expensive. And it missed some key early 2013 games.

PS4 and Xbox One launched at the same time. So comparisions were totally going to happen. One was cheaper and more powerful while the other more expensive and less powerful. One had been gathering good will from the gaming enthusiasts for months while the other was recovering for one of the biggest shitstorms we've seen on gaming. One was consantly getting "bad news" about resolution and other stuff while the other wasn't.

There were a lot of little things going on at the same time that made the PS4 more succesful than the X1. There you have some.
Ergo the very definition of selling to gaming enthusiasts who were :

1 - Tired of the current generation
2 - Bought into Sony's hype machine (which was very very efficient for the western market)

sörine

Banned

Sure, But at the same time I don't think the 2nd best versions of a bunch of multiplatform games are really what drove the crazy upfront PS4 sales either. PS4 sold mostly on the same thing PS2 did: promise.

test_account

XP-39C²
I cant see why many people would buy a PS4, or whatever gaming system it might be, early on if they have very little interest in the current offerings on the system. Makes little sense to me at least. Have anyone here done it for example? Why not just wait until the game(s) that they are interested it before they buy it instead? In that case, maybe even a price drop has happened. Even if someone buys into the hype, it means that there is excitement there to begin with, which is most likely related to the games. That excitement can of course go down after a while, but there is still a reason for that initial hype/excitement.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Ps3 had 2 games over 1 millons but it also have 22 games sold over 500k and less then 1 million.
Vita had 0 game over 1 millions and only one game over 500k.
All what Vita get this year are sequel that sold less then the previous games

What Vita game is over 500K sales wise in Japan? God Eater 2 hasn't even hit 400K on Vita iirc (at least not on japanltdrank). The PSP only had all the Monster Hunter games over 1m.

Also, to the people who say the Wii U won't hit 20K next week, I'm not sure whether you're that familiar with Media Create threads. DQX on Wii U & Game and Wario caused a spike to 22K, as did Pikmin 3, and 3D World got the system up to 20K (with the holidays right behind it and half-decent holiday sales). Why the heck would Mario Kart 8 not even get those type of hardware numbers in its first week? If it gets less than 20K and then tanks back to these levels kind of like it did after Pikmin 3, the Wii U is pretty much out of options... Nintendo is actually marketing MK8, at least from preorders there seems to be some excitement among the userbase, including the 40 minute lines to play the game and all, and Mario Kart is historically a ton bigger than anything released on the Wii U so far in Japan. People are severely pessimistic here. Sure, it might not "save" the Wii U and increase sales to 100K next week, but people are undershooting even my worst expectations...

Also the Wii U is actually mounting a line-up in Japan, at least an existent one as opposed to the complete lack of releases from before.

Known recent/upcoming retail releases

Just Dance Wii U - 4/3
Monster Hunter Frontier G - 4/10 (not that this really counts on any platform it seems....)
Famicom Remix 1 & 2 - 4/24
Sonic & All-Star Racing Transformed - 5/15 (bombed on both PS3 & Wii U unfortunately)
Mario Kart 8 - 5/29
One Piece Unlimited World Red - 6/12
Pac-World - 6/25
Kamen Battride - 6/26
Hyrule Warriors - 8/14
Bayonetta 2 in the summer?

The PS3 sold at a faster rate than the 360 - why not use that for comparison?

And yes, the PS4 will sell more than 60M this gen.

Fularu

Banned
The PS3 sold at a faster rate than the 360 - why not use that for comparison?

And yes, the PS4 will sell more than 60M this gen.

9 years versus 8 years. Such a difference is meaningless in the end.

We'll see, I remain highly sceptical.

I cant see why many people would buy a PS4, or whatever gaming system it might be, early on if they have very little interest in the current offerings on the system. Makes little sense to me at least. Have anyone here done it for example? Why not just wait until the game(s) that they are interested it before they buy it instead? In that case, maybe even a price drop has happened. Even if someone buys into the hype, it means that there is excitement there to begin with, which is most likely related to the games. That excitement can of course go down after a while, but there is still a reason for that initial hype/excitement.

I got BF4, AC4 and CoD Ghost for free, so I said "Why not" and bought one.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
VITA is looking to have a lot of titles selling 300-500K on it with only 1 or 2 500K seller.

300-500K? We have one title even in that range (God Eater 2) and that's it. What's suddenly going to hit that range. FFX/X-2 HD? Sword Art Online? These games are barely at 200K at best at the moment. Hitting 200K is an accomplishment on Vita, which is fairly common on the 3DS & PS3 in comparison.

test_account

XP-39C²
I got BF4, AC4 and CoD Ghost for free, so I said "Why not" and bought one.
Yeah, but then you had interest in the games, otherwise you wouldnt have bought it(?) =) I bought Knack, Call of Duty Ghosts and Killzone Shadow Fall at launch. I havnt even inserted Knack and CoD Ghosts into my PS4 yet. But i still bought the PS4 because i was interested in the games. I played quite a lot of Killzone though.

gtj1092

sörine;113820214 said:
Sure, But at the same time I don't think the 2nd best versions of a bunch of multiplatform games are really what drove the crazy upfront PS4 sales either. PS4 sold mostly on the same thing PS2 did: promise.

Lol the tears are delicious. To the masses they are the best versions but not all of us can be the elite discerning PC/Nintndo gamer. All of us duped by the hype just parting with $400 willy nilly.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I fear we are venturing far from Japanese sales age and into more ominous territory here.

Top Bottom