• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 21, 2014 (May 19 - May 25)

I don't live in Japan despite the username... there are others though who do, from memory, like StreetsAhead and the user whose name I forget right now who posts each week's new releases EDIT: hiska-kun.

test_account

XP-39C²
I always buy every gaming system. The only one I'm missing right now is the Xbox One. Since I knew I would buy it down the road and I already had 3 games for it, I just picked one up.

Was I excited for it? Not really, it was a novelty. I have been a PC gamer for quite some time now (Between WoW raiding and D3 my console gaming time outside of the Ds/3DS has all but evaporated)
Fair enough. I didnt mean to say that you were necessarily very excited for it, only that it seems you had some interest in the games since you decided to pick it up early. But generally speaking, i dont agree with the idea that the hype around the PS4 in the west isnt mainly related to the games. Hype is just another word for excitement afterall, and if that excitement isnt mainly related to the games, i wonder what people mean that its mainly related to.

I don't understand Media Creates logic of not including bundled software for the Wii U. Who's to say the purchaser wouldn't have bought the game seperately if it wasn't bundled, or who's to say he didn't buy the bundle simply because it comes with the game. Sorry if this has been discussed before.

I went for a walk today in Akihabara, Yodobashi was not crowded (it was just after lunch time), but there was a bunch of people
Most of them were buying MK8, a lot of them also bought accessories like protective films or shells for remote, the one made by Hori was very popular

Mario-Kart-8-jp-5.jpg

Then I went to Sofmap, very few people, but similar situation, who were at the counter had MK8 in their hands.

After that I came back to Ikebukuro and took a look at Bic Camera, a very big stand was available on ground floor, but inside now to many people buying games

Mario-Kart-8-jp-9.jpg

The feeling I had is MK8 is selling well, very well and I think sales will be even better in the incoming weekend.
There is just one thing that didn't convince me : as I said I saw many people buying the game, but anyone buying Wii U, as the custormers are already people who bouhgt the system in the past

Yobobashi @ Akihabara
Mario-Kart-8-jp-2.jpg

Sofmap @ Akihabara
Mario-Kart-8-jp-7.jpg

Guides are already available :
Mario-Kart-8-jp-3.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't understand Media Creates logic of not including bundled software for the Wii U. Who's to say the purchaser wouldn't have bought the game seperately if it wasn't bundled, or who's to say he didn't buy the bundle simply because it comes with the game. Sorry if this has been discussed before.

Subscribers presumably get this data and want it separated out.

The question to me would more so be "Why not share which bundles were sold?" in the hardware breakdown.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
^
and this is why they need a MK bundle. At the same time, I think it's coming for the holiday season.

They will probably introduce the bundle for Japan when it sold most of its units as a stand-alone SKU like they did with MK8. MK8 bundle will be happen before Smash arrives.

hiska-kun

Lol Moor-Angol, you went to my Ikebukuro Bic Camera's local store.

I went there after class 1 p.m. and as you can see copies everywhere and huge stands and promotion. While I was taking the photos, the employers invited me to play the demo.

Almost nobody inside, but it's normal at this time. Today is a weekday.

Mario Kart 8
9439C622-F939-40E9-BFB8-0BDC10140738_zps3smopbut.jpg

78CC2907-1AF4-4E14-A12E-9C79DCB42A8A_zps8si1mfzn.jpg

A96372D2-D0D5-483B-955E-3132200D3890_zps6d1j2mmw.jpg

Mobile Suit Gundam: Side Stories
FF78FB30-0A7B-4E9A-8BE2-918F545822B0_zpsjfgbrnev.jpg

2039B79C-D892-4409-BAA0-0D4C781889D9_zpsszgyjdtr.jpg

Chou Megami Shinkou: Noire
69A6C8A8-B3DE-441B-9053-29D11DF298C8_zps7skeg7il.jpg

Arcana Hearts: Love Max
F7B53B44-62C2-458E-BCB7-F01564714853_zpssejowid7.jpg

cacildo

So pretty to see a store packed with a new game release!

Dosent happen in my country, never seen any of it in my life.

One day, one day

Shengar

Thanks to Moor-Angol and hiska-kun for the pics! Did you guys actually bumped to each other but didn't realized it? :D
As for MK8 moving Wii U units, I think it wouldn't happened in work day. Maybe it'll better on weekend.

I remember Vita-2000 launch. One picture, a few "impressions" and everybody was sure that Vita-2000 would sell less than 20k on launch week (as low as 10k) because it was obvious no one cared about Vita.

The reaction to the so-loved-in-MC-threads Gibson's impression is very different this time.

Road

So pretty to see a store packed with a new game release!

Dosent happen in my country, never seen any of it in my life.

One day, one day

I'll miss those images when the video game retail industry is dead in a few years.

Thanks for the pictures!

Jamix012

PS4 launched in Feb. It didn't even have one holiday season yet. Once it does, you and noone else will make Dreamcast comparisons anymore, and you will no longer remember you ever did.

haha, what? No, don't bullshit yourself. Sure it'll exist this holiday season but don't expect great numbers. Vita's first holiday season was pretty weak too. Like the Vita though, if you want to expect life from the machine, expect it some time mid 2015 to 2016.

Edit: On second thought, "life" is a pretty loose word considering the Vita's numbers.

QaaQer

I went for a walk today in Akihabara, Yodobashi was not crowded (it was just after lunch time), but there was a bunch of people
Most of them were buying MK8, a lot of them also bought accessories like protective films or shells for remote, the one ma

snip

just want to say thanks for the pix. :) one of my fav parts of sales age.

boiled goose

good with gravy
For dedicated gaming devices to be saved in Japan they need to become more like mobile devices. And no I don't mean extra non gaming features but similar in the development environment and consumer environment.

Development has to be inexpensive and compatible with other platforms like mobile. It also has to be platform centered not hardware centered.

Same for consumers. Hardware but especially games are just too expensive and become useless by the time u buy ur next device. Consumers should be able to rapidly upgrade hardware without worrying about losing all their content.

Dedicated gaming is clunky, slow, expensive, risky, disjointed, and ultimate outdated by modern standards.

Hardware manufacturers better change next gen... or they're done.

L~A

I went there after class 1 p.m. and as you can see copies everywhere and huge stands and promotion. While I was taking the photos, the employers invited me to play the demo.

Almost nobody inside, but it's normal at this time. Today is a weekday.

Mario Kart 8
9439C622-F939-40E9-BFB8-0BDC10140738_zps3smopbut.jpg

78CC2907-1AF4-4E14-A12E-9C79DCB42A8A_zps8si1mfzn.jpg

A96372D2-D0D5-483B-955E-3132200D3890_zps6d1j2mmw.jpg

Mobile Suit Gundam: Side Stories
FF78FB30-0A7B-4E9A-8BE2-918F545822B0_zpsjfgbrnev.jpg

2039B79C-D892-4409-BAA0-0D4C781889D9_zpsszgyjdtr.jpg

Chou Megami Shinkou: Noire
69A6C8A8-B3DE-441B-9053-29D11DF298C8_zps7skeg7il.jpg

Arcana Hearts: Love Max
F7B53B44-62C2-458E-BCB7-F01564714853_zpssejowid7.jpg

Man, I just love your pics (thanks a bunch!). VG part of stores in Japan is basically the equivalent of a candy store. It's all so pretty, it's all so shiny, you just want to buy everything.

Looks like Mario Kart 8 got lots of shelf space, it's a good sign.

About Wii U sales, pretty sure they'll pick up during the week-end. Major Nintendo games usually release on Saturday, after all, there's a reason. Then again, I'm not expecting anything crazy like 100k unfortunately.

Rolf NB

haha, what? No, don't bullshit yourself. Sure it'll exist this holiday season but don't expect great numbers. Vita's first holiday season was pretty weak too. Like the Vita though, if you want to expect life from the machine, expect it some time mid 2015 to 2016.

Edit: On second thought, "life" is a pretty loose word considering the Vita's numbers.
Dreamcast's first April averaged 10552 weekly sales. PS4 is significantly higher.
Dreamcast's first May averaged 4908 weekly sales. PS4 is significantly higher.
Dreamcast completely tanked in its first June, because they announced a price drop and basically lost the whole month. They had a nice spike in July, the effects of which took until late October / early November to fully evaporate.
The following year, Dreamcast was further down, despite the price drop. 4500ish in May, 4800is in June.

Dreamcast's peak four-week average ever was 37626 weekly sales, which occured during its second holiday season (weeks 56 through 59 in that spreadsheet).

Launch aligned, PS4 will reach its first holiday "before" DC reaches its second, pull ahead again, and stay ahead.

I for one am already looking forward to the Gamecube comparisons.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Final Fantasy Agito is currently out of Top 100 Grossing Chart on iOS

On Android, it's holding steadily around the 60th

Yeah that's actually a pretty impressive collapse on iOS. They will have to act smartly to try and fix that or this totally wasn't a good idea.

Spiegel

A big handheld ARPG now huge (as in the size of the download) F2P RPG never seemed like the best fit for mobile gaming to me.

I wouldn't mind if these F2P mobile experiments fail.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
A big handheld ARPG now huge (as in the size of the download) F2P RPG never seemed like the best fit for mobile gaming to me.

I for one wouldn't mind if these F2P mobile experiments fail.

In an interesting contrast, PSO2 for iOS is currently at the top of the most downloaded list.

Then again, SEGA's business model is like 500 times better than Square Enix's.

Edit:

The three charts for the curious: http://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/top/japan/overall/?device=iphone

Spiegel

In an interesting contrast, PSO2 for iOS is currently at the top of the most downloaded list.

Then again, SEGA's business model is like 500 times better than Square Enix's.

Yeah, PSO2 is a F2P MMORPG everywhere and iirc the iOS release is a companion game where you can share data with the PC or Vita version.
That makes more sense.

iori9999

Banned
Wii U bombing the PS4!! Japan is still Nintendoland.. But the PS3 is still doing relatively decent for being such an old console..

Yagami_Sama

Glad to see Wii U above the other home console.
I thought the Infamous would boost PS4 sales to first spot.

Next week, how many copies of Mario Kart 8 will be sold ? 400 K ?

And Yo-kai Watch probably will reach 1 million next week.

Frodo

When will we get, or even better, will we get preliminary data, like first day sell-thought and stuff, for Mario Kart 8?

Shaanyboi

Banned
Wii U bombing the PS4!! Japan is still Nintendoland.. But the PS3 is still doing relatively decent for being such an old console..

....bombing? Really? Being slightly higher out of the mudhole the PS4 is in right now doesn't mean WiiU isn't still struggling.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Comgnet's retail chain preorder comparisons, as of May 29th, 2014

[NDS] Inazuma Eleven 3 - 47pt + 47pt = 94pt
[3DS] Yokai Watch 2 - 231pt + 172pt = 403pt

[Wii] Mario Kart Wii - 450pt
[3DS] Mario Kart 7 - 297pt
[WiiU] Mario Kart 8 - 259pt

[PSV] Persona 4 The Golden - 171pt
[3DS] Etrian Odyssey IV - 80pt
[3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV - 127pt
[3DS] Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl - 69pt
[3DS] Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - 158pt

[PS3] Kamen Rider: Battride War Premium Sound & Movie Edition - 84pt
[PS3] Kamen Rider: Battride War II Premium TV & Movie Edition - 58pt

[3DS] Card Fight!! Vanguard: Ride to Victory!! - 58pt
[3DS] Card Fight!! Vanguard: Lock on Victory!! - 54pt

[PSV] Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2 - 42pt + 19pt = 61pt
[PSV] Chō Megami Shinkō Noire: Gekishin Black Heart - 43pt + 27pt = 70pt

[PS4] Watch_Dogs - 20pt

First I went to Akihabara, then I came back to Ikebukuro, cause I live in Zoshigaya :)

Did you see someone buying Wii U while you were at Bic Camera ?

vareon

Comgnet's retail chain preorder comparisons, as of May 29th, 2014

[NDS] Inazuma Eleven 3 - 47pt + 47pt = 94pt
[3DS] Yokai Watch 2 - 231pt + 172pt = 403pt

[Wii] Mario Kart Wii - 450pt
[3DS] Mario Kart 7 - 297pt
[WiiU] Mario Kart 8 - 259pt

[PSV] Persona 4 The Golden - 171pt
[3DS] Etrian Odyssey IV - 80pt
[3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV - 127pt
[3DS] Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl - 69pt
[3DS] Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - 158pt

[PS3] Kamen Rider: Battride War Premium Sound & Movie Edition - 84pt
[PS3] Kamen Rider: Battride War II Premium TV & Movie Edition - 58pt

[3DS] Card Fight!! Vanguard: Ride to Victory!! - 58pt
[3DS] Card Fight!! Vanguard: Lock on Victory!! - 54pt

[PSV] Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2 - 42pt + 19pt = 61pt
[PSV] Chō Megami Shinkō Noire: Gekishin Black Heart - 43pt + 27pt = 70pt

[PS4] Watch_Dogs - 20pt

Kamen Rider's about to get a dose of reality I see.

L Thammy

So is this going to be a million seller in the First Week? Or is that unlikely

Looking at japanltdranking, Looks like these are the only games to sell over a million first week since 2009.

Code:
Pokémon X / Y			2013-10-12	2,096,050
Monster Hunter 4		2013-09-14	1,875,115
Final Fantasy XIII		2009-12-17	1,516,532
Pokémon Black 2 / White 2	2012-06-23	1,618,621
Pokémon Black / White		2010-09-18	2,637,285
Monster Hunter Freedom 3	2010-12-01	2,146,467
Dragon Quest IX			2009-07-11	2,343,440
Pokémon HeartGold / SoulSilver	2009-09-12	1,408,980

Top Bottom