• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 21, 2014 (May 19 - May 25)

I think people are generally underestimating WiiU numbers here. Just like when new Vita model released and people generally expected something ridiculous like even under 20k and it went to sell over 60k. I say at least 45k for WiiU. We shall see.
I think people are just being realistic with availability. While I'm certain Nintendo is banking on Mario Kart hitting it big, I don't know if stores are going to keep a big enough stock to have impressive numbers. It's probably more likely that we'll see a modest bump for several weeks, rather than a big front-loaded one.

Longsword

Quiz RPG has hit 26 million downloads in Japan: http://www.serkantoto.com/2014/06/03/colopl-quiz-rpg-2/

As of May 28th, Puzzle & Dragon was at 28 million in Japan. Quiz RPG has been growing notably faster though, and is on track to overtake it in terms of total downloads.

That said, P&D still makes more money. Quiz RPG is currently sitting in the #2 top grossing spot, but usually moves down from there a few spots outside of events.

Quiz RPG has an English release, so you can just head over here if you're curious as to what the game actually is, though the title is relatively self explanatory: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/quiz-rpg-world-mystic-wiz/id684779712?mt=8

There is a massive battle between P&D, QuizRPG and Monster Strike for the no 1 Top Grossing position. I am amazed that Monster Strike is making such a mint with such a small number of downloads compared to the other two behemoths.

Takao

Banned
I think people are generally underestimating WiiU numbers here. Just like when new Vita model released and people generally expected something ridiculous like even under 20k and it went to sell over 60k. I say at least 45k for WiiU. We shall see.

I agree with you. Mario Kart 8 is likely going to be Wii U's biggest game in terms of appeal. If that can't push hardware to even 40k on launch week, I doubt anything we currently know about will.

Bruno MB

MCV publishes Japanese sales an hour earlier than Famitsu.com since they haven't realized there is no daylight saving time in Japan.

I think people are just being realistic with availability. While I'm certain Nintendo is banking on Mario Kart hitting it big, I don't know if stores are going to keep a big enough stock to have impressive numbers. It's probably more likely that we'll see a modest bump for several weeks, rather than a big front-loaded one.

Well if retailers were willing to stock ''dead'' vita enough to new model to sell 60k first week without any major games I don't see that how they couldn't stock something like 50k WiiUs (Which isn't even that much compared to some hardware boosts in past) when it's getting probably biggest game of its life and Mario karts have traditionally sold well.

I agree with you. Mario Kart 8 is likely going to be Wii U's biggest game in terms of appeal. If that can't push hardware to even 40k on launch week, I doubt anything we currently know about will.

Yeah. If WiiU sells somehting ridiculously low numbers like under 25k when it gets biggest game of its life that doesn't give exactly rosy picture of its future.

How Mario kart Wii boosted the Wii hardware?
I expect a similar boost
Wii had sold way more and had way bigger baseline when Mario Kart Wii launched though so the boost should be bigger this time.

Vinnk

Well, we know about holidays. ;)

Anecdotally, I don't expect giant WiiU sales until there is a break from school/study. Like summer break, Obon or similar. A big audience this appeals to (kids) are not in to position to blow 30,000yen on a system. And their parents will either need a gift occasion or an opportunity to give it as a reward (for example: good test scores) The kids I know (my students) who have a WiiU are planning to get the game but haven't talked to anyone who bought a Wii U this week.

What might be more important is the growing mindshare. People are talking about Nintendo Wii U again. I really hadn't heard people talking about it since shortly after the holidays. It might not be yet be enough to get people to pull the trigger for what is essentially a $350+ (with Mario Kart) purchase. But people are saying they want to play Mario Kart 8. They are talking about the ad on TV. And they are at least keeping an open mind to the possibility of owning a Wii U (If there are other games they want or a price drop, or whatever else is still keeping them back).

Unfortunately unless Nintendo builds on this "positive Nintendo vibe" going around now, by the time people traditionally are in a position to buy a system (holiday or long vacation) the excitement may dissipate. People are fickle. And the Smartphone is "good enough" for most.

Take that all with a grain of salt. But it is nice to hear kids talking about something that isn't PuzzDora or something of that ilk.

But there were more than 5mln Wii sold at the time MKWii was released, now the situation is different; Wii was selling around 40k the week before MKWii iirc, that's already a lot of sales, so a bump might not be expected

Wii U owners really need games (this is the same situation PS4 owners are) and that's the reason I saw many people buying the game on last thursday

I agree with the last part of your thought, if even MK is not a system seller that's a big problem for Nintendo
I think this whole "system seller concept" is a bit antiquated as we see it now.

Most people don't buy systems because of one game, it's more like the last trigger that has been pulled so that you buy the system.

You buy a gaming system because of:

- The bunch of games that are available
- The games that you expect to play in the future
- The price of the system
- The features of the system
- The gimmicks of the system that may interest you

I think that people always need at least two or three of these points to buy a system.

Or a bit different:

Guy buys system when his "interest-value" reaches 100 points.

System Price: 20 Points
NSMBU: 10 Points
Pikmin 3: 30 Points
Future games: 30 Points
Mario Kart 8: 50 Points

He reached 100 points, he's going to buy the system.

But maybe there is a guy like this:

System Price: 5 Points
NSMBU: 5 Points
Mario Kart 8: 40 Points

So this guy is at 80 points, Mario Kart 8 makes the system really interesting, but he's not going to buy it yet, but maybe with the next game.

While Mario Kart 8 may not be a "system seller" in the first week (or not the strongest system seller in the first week), I'm sure it contributes to the fact that people buy the system,
because it pushes the "interest-value".

This "system" can be applied to any console or game.

It's probably also worth noting, under this same system, which I generally concur with, that Mario Kart 8 will likely have been part of the 100 points for many of the people who have already been buying the system - so it may be a system seller in that regard, without being apparent in this weeks sales.

I think we've had a similar discussion in MC threads before.

Oersted

Well, we know about holidays. ;)

Anecdotally, I don't expect giant WiiU sales until there is a break from school/study. Like summer break, Obon or similar. A big audience this appeals to (kids) are not in to position to blow 30,000yen on a system. And their parents will either need a gift occasion or an opportunity to give it as a reward (for example: good test scores) The kids I know (my students) who have a WiiU are planning to get the game but haven't talked to anyone who bought a Wii U this week.

What might be more important is the growing mindshare. People are talking about Nintendo Wii U again. I really hadn't heard people talking about it since shortly after the holidays. It might not be yet be enough to get people to pull the trigger for what is essentially a $350+ (with Mario Kart) purchase. But people are saying they want to play Mario Kart 8. They are talking about the ad on TV. And they are at least keeping an open mind to the possibility of owning a Wii U (If there are other games they want or a price drop, or whatever else is still keeping them back).

Unfortunately unless Nintendo builds on this "positive Nintendo vibe" going around now, by the time people traditionally are in a position to buy a system (holiday or long vacation) the excitement may dissipate. People are fickle. And the Smartphone is "good enough" for most.

Take that all with a grain of salt. But it is nice to hear kids talking about something that isn't PuzzDora or something of that ilk.

Wait, what?

Vinnk

Wait, what?

Well, cheapest bundles are like 27,000yen (the basic) + 6,000yen for mario Kart.

so 33,000yen.

But most customers are going to opt for one of the better value bundles. Those (which come with software or accessories are at least 32,000yen + 6,000 for Mario Kart 8.

I rounded to $350 (35,927yen), but in most cases it will be more.

My god, a Vinnk´s Village!
Thank you sir, you made my day. :)

Thank you. I still read the threads every week. I just don't have the time to check all around town like I used to (up to 2 kids now).

I think this whole "system seller concept" is a bit antiquated as we see it now.

I feel it's more a case of 1+2+4+5 outweighting 3 (price) in potential buyer mind. Like my friend who says he is getting PS4 after Witcher 3 is released but he isn't buying it to play only one game.

QaaQer

Most people don't buy systems because of one game, it's more like the last trigger that has been pulled so that you buy the system.

I think that people always need at least two or three of these points to buy a system.

Or a bit different:

But maybe there is a guy like this:

System Price: 5 Points
NSMBU: 5 Points
Mario Kart 8: 40 Points

So this guy is at 80 points, Mario Kart 8 makes the system really interesting, but he's not going to buy it yet, but maybe with the next game.

While Mario Kart 8 may not be a "system seller" in the first week (or not the strongest system seller in the first week), I'm sure it contributes to the fact that people buy the system,
because it pushes the "interest-value".

This "system" can be applied to any console or game.

For some thats true. For others, they will buy things on a whim, as a gift, because it's cool, nostalgia, or a multitude of other non-rational reasons.

Consumer behaviour isn't math.

KtSlime

I think price does factor in a lot of the time, I find that many of the Japanese people I know pride themselves on their frugality, but I'm sure that doesn't apply to everyone.

It's almost summer break, which means hi-shuubarai baito, I'm sure a few kids will be able to save up some money to recklessly spend it on video games. Let's hope MK8 can carry the Wii U till Smash Bros comes out.

Hammer24

Banned
Thank you. I still read the threads every week. I just don't have the time to check all around town like I used to (up to 2 kids now).

I know and understand. Yet I´m still checking the thread every week looking for you old banner. :)

Oersted

Well, cheapest bundles are like 27,000yen (the basic) + 6,000yen for mario Kart.

so 33,000yen.

But most customers are going to opt for one of the better value bundles. Those (which come with software or accessories are at least 32,000yen + 6,000 for Mario Kart 8.

I rounded to $350 (35,927yen), but in most cases it will be more.

I can get most premium bundles here for 250 €. That just got me confused.

KtSlime

I can get most premium bundles here for 250 €. That just got me confused.

Japan charges too much for games/consoles. Often they can sell them cheaper as an export because the foreign currency is healthier, they can choose when to repatriate the money unlike when the goods are sold locally.

Tax to factor in as well, it's at 8%

And the euro is worth more than the yen. 35000 yen is about 250 euro.

A Wii U Sports Bundle + Mario Kart 8 including tax is looking to be 38556 yen, or about 276 euro.

mclem

I'd pitch a similar notion, but rather than having a 'buying threshold', I'd regard it as "When the positives outweigh the negatives", so price would be a negative (Along, perhaps, with some other considerations) and then the positives for a given person would be ranked up, and when the positives outweigh the negative, that's the key tipping point.

I think the reason it often manifests itself as a given game is because I think the 'tempting power' of a given release wanes over time as the hype dies down; games are at their peak power to tempt at the point the hype is strongest, completely independently of the quality and percieved value of the actual game itself. Hence a game with *huge* hype is more powerful at the moment it hits and can tip someone over even if as the hype dies down the negatives once again outweigh the positives (and if that happens to a significant extent, buyers' remorse can kick in)

For some thats true. For others, they will buy things on a whim, as a gift, because it's cool, nostalgia, or a multitude of other non-rational reasons.

Consumer behaviour isn't math.

Sure it is! You just need the right math.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, of course today MCV had to go down.
Of course.

Japan charges too much for games/consoles. Often they can sell them cheaper as an export because the foreign currency is healthier, they can choose when to repatriate the money unlike when the goods are sold locally.

Tax to factor in as well, it's at 8%

And the euro is worth more than the yen. 35000 yen is about 250 euro.

A Wii U Sports Bundle + Mario Kart 8 including tax is looking to be 38556 yen, or about 276 euro.

8% tax is nothing. Europe pays 20-25% depending on country.

Ty4on

Aren't the VATs usually calculated in the price when talking about electronics sold in Europe?

So that 250€ device would cost 300€? I assumed he was already factoring in VAT.

Yeah, the price is never show sans VAT in Europe like it is done in the US.

Taker666

I'm going for 15k Wii U, 300k Mario Kart 8. Seems the most logical.

How was the weather, again? :p

15-20k seems likely to me as well.

The pre-bump last week was very small and it's not like there were any new bundles coming so I'd have expected a bigger bump last week if MK8 was going to move much hardware...but it's very hard to judge.

Kacho

Gold Member
I'm refreshing this thread like crazy. Can't wait to see the results and the reactions that follow.

ffdgh

Of all the days....
KuGsj.gif

kitsuneyo

Every month we see big game releases selling systems in Japan. Look at the spikes Vita and 3DS get. Wii U needs at least 40,000 next week. MK8 is totally worth it as well, it's awesome!

Not expecting huge numbers but I'm expecting it to continue to sell very well into the next week. So, not a insane number to get huge reactions, but a decent number that will continue to sell for a while. Hope I'm wrong and that the numbers are insane though. lol

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
MCV has been up for a few minutes, it updated with some news, but no Japan numbers yet.
I fear they learned ._.

Top Bottom