• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 21, 2014 (May 19 - May 25)

L Thammy

I think this goes to show what Shinra was saying. People bought their Wii U's for Mario Kart, but they did it earlier than this week.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Luigi = MK8
Waluigi = all japanese hardware

I5aR4yX.gif

DaBoss

I expected that most people who would buy MK8 would already have a Wii U. It is the long run we're going to have to wait and see.

But I did not expect it to only be bumped up by ~10K. That's quite the disappointment.
I guess next week is probably more important to look at now.

Essentially what's the drop, and where will it settle?
I think it will drop slowly for a long period of time with some small upticks when games come out. It seems they will have a game a month from July onwards.

Xater

Ok had to check the numbers here to see if 19k is anything good but doesn't look that way. If they can#t even sustain that number at all consoles are pretty much dead in Japan.

Since the software numbers are pretty good it seems like the Nintendo faithful are buying the game. The rest not so much.

Yea, was expecting something like this. I do expect these numbers to continue into next week though (not the MK8 but the Wii U numbers).

I think this goes to show what Shinra was saying. People bought their Wii U's for Mario Kart, but they did it earlier than this week.
Yeah; the question now remains, how many people who need Mario Kart still haven't bought the system for Mario Kart now that it's out.

And what will it take to get them to buy it (What's the next tipping point title?).

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
PS4 selling half of the Vita is also pretty damn terrible

On a side note

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Gaaah, I was expecting much better from Wii U this week :(
We'll have to see if there's an increased base for hardware sales in the next weeks; I mean, if it goes from 6-7k for week to 13-15k for week, it'd still be better than before. Still very bad, but also better.
Mario Kart 8 first week is great, so that's why I think that there's a possibility of that happening.

I think the real test here is going to see what next week's is. If MK can continue to sell pretty good and continue to sell consoles (especially going into E3) well, then I don't see too much of a problem.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah; the question now remains, how many people who need Mario Kart still haven't bought the system for Mario Kart now that it's out.

And what will it take to get them to buy it (What's the next tipping point title?).

This is why I've been hesitant on the Wii U recovering in general.

Basically everything announced is a title you could have easily assumed from day one of the console and picked up as soon as something like Mario 3D World or NSMB U came out.

Given Mario 3D World appeals to much of the really core Nintendo enthusiast audience, I would suspect that picked up a pretty large chunk of them.

BlackJace

I guess we have to look at the drop next week. Even a base increase to 12-15k is an improvement based on how shitty things have gone.

Still, the opening was fantastic.
I think that's what makes the hardware numbers sting even more.

Scum

A steady stream of games, like the Vita had for the last four(?) months.

:-(

Darius

Banned
WiiU outselling PS3 and PS4 individually by 3:1 and PSV heading back to its previous disastrous sales trajectory.

I think the real test here is going to see what next week's is. If MK can continue to sell pretty good and continue to sell consoles (especially going into E3) well, then I don't see too much of a problem.

I'm expecting it. These are numbers from the 29th to the 1st of June (Wii U and MK8), only three days, I'm expecting the game and system to still sell quite a bit (hoping for a decent steady number for the Wii U).

Scum

Basically everything announced is a title you could have easily assumed from day one of the console and picked up as soon as something like Mario 3D World or NSMB U came out.

Given Mario 3D World appeals to much of the really core Nintendo enthusiast audience, I would suspect that picked up a pretty large chunk of them.

It won't recover. I can see more MK8 situations though - good software sales and rubbish bumps. Here's hoping NCL keep all the WiiU titles alive on the next hardware.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It won't recover. I can see more MK8 situations though - good software sales and rubbish bumps. Here's hoping NCL keep all the WiiU titles alive on the next hardware.

Right, I mean "recovering" as in "recovering in even the slightest" like a... I don't know what would recovery be at this point? Staying above 10K?

Even that is looking ridiculously laughable.

prag16

Banned
Pretty good MK8 software sales.

Very bad Wii U hardware sales (and all other hardware for that matter). I'll stop short of calling it "disastrous" for the Wii U until we see what kind of legs the bump has. If it holds above 15k next week, and then ends up with a new baseline around 12k for awhile, that wouldn't be disastrous. But if it ends up back in the PS3/PS4 6000 club in 2 weeks, we can definitely slap on the "disastrous" title..

RiggyRob

Nintendo need to get on the NFC train with Pokemon/Yokai Watch/something similar and do it fast. That's the only thing I can see helping the Wii U recover in Japan.

Top Bottom