• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 21, 2015 (May 18 - May 24)

The only aspect that Splatoon has bigger than STEAM is the marketing push, imho.
it's not that a "better" (subjective term) art direction is "bigger" in terms of budget. You can't put STEAM aside an eshop puzzle game imho.

I think you meant to quote me but I kind of agree with you even though I wasn't really speaking in terms of quality. STEAM is a pretty deep, rewarding experience but I was speaking more about games that have a large appeal. A game like Code Name STEAM really doesn't and a lot of Nintendo's newer IPs are the same way. That's not a bad thing for me personally, but I'm happy to see Splatoon receiving a big push from Nintendo, because it's an IP that absolutely can appeal to a large audience.

casiopao

Let's get crazy, what if Splatoon actually has legs?!

Well well, let's not get carried away.

Giant_squid_tentacle_club.jpg

It will have tons of tentacle for sure.^_^

Rated M for murder and violence, and "cannibalism".

Confirm selling billion now as it is marketed toward CoD and all gritty fanboy.

hongcha

Seems to be a lot of optimism for Splatoon sales in this thread. I think it'll do about 200~250K lifetime in Japan, but I hardly consider that to be "fantastic" (it's pretty good for a Wii U game without Mario in the title, however). I don't think it will move hardware beyond its launch week, and I certainly do not expect it to be an evergreen title like Minecraft or Youkai Watch. I am hopeful it does well enough for Nintendo to consider more new IPs, instead of continually rehashing the same old same old.

I wonder if Nintendo missed the boat by not preparing a Splatoon hardware bundle, perhaps with some cool paint job on the gamepad and/or console. I mean, even XCX got a hardware bundle. Seems a bit odd to me that they wouldn't do this, especially considering they have advertised the game so much.

duckroll

If it sells close to 200k in the first weekend, there's no way the LTD will only be 200-250k. It definitely looks like it'll be a >300k title, probably closer to 400k at least.

L~A

First Day Sell-Through {2015.05.28}

[WIU] Splatoon <ACT> (Nintendo) (¥6.156) - almost 80% and First Day Shipment is around 150k. The blogger hopes for something close to 200k

Splatoon Amiibos - high sell-through

[3DS] Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai Deluxe <ACT> (Sega) (¥5.378) - almost 50%

[3DS] Downtown Nekketsu Jidaigeki <ACT> (Arc System Works) (¥4.860) - 30-40% slow start

Ah, good.

Surprised Downtown Nekketsu Jidaigeki didn't get a worse start.

Ohh yiissssss!!!!! Also Amazon expects a new shipment on May 30th!

Woot Splatoon :)

1 million + is a lock WW

That'd be great.... hopefully we get some sort of PR next week, but that'd mean 800k for the first days in EU/NA... seems excessive.

thefro

If it sells close to 200k in the first weekend, there's no way the LTD will only be 200-250k. It definitely looks like it'll be a >300k title, probably closer to 400k at least.

What's the highest-selling FPS/TPS on consoles in Japan?

Is one of the COD games at around 400k when you combine subbed + dubbed verisons?

mclem

Wow. I really hope Splatoon's reception sends a message to Nintendo that consumers want more BIG new IPs from the company. I love their smaller games like Boxboy, Pushmo, Code Name STEAM, etc. but Splatoon is something bigger and it has been great to see Nintendo treat it as such. I'm so happy to see Japan react positively to the game.

I do wonder if the amount of resources thrown at the game was slightly contingent on its reception since E3 last year. As a fledgling title without any reliable hook from Nintendo's usual lineup, I have a sneaking suspicion that it might have been a rather more low-profile title had it not been so well-recieved.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

weeeeeeeeell, let's see how it will actually debut. Ok first-day ST and first week projections seems positive, but they are still not "firm" numbers.

?oe?oe

I do wonder if the amount of resources thrown at the game was slightly contingent on its reception since E3 last year. As a fledgling title without any reliable hook from Nintendo's usual lineup, I have a sneaking suspicion that it might have been a rather more low-profile title.

Splatoon had a large dedicated floor space at E3. They may have knew they had something special.

Takao

Banned
Each and everytime I see the Funassyi Lands from the blog posted, I just think he's way too angry to not sell copies of small games. Why is he so upset? He should be outraged, but quieter. /j

Shame about Tribe Cool Crew. I heard it's an amazing game.

I really hope Hamster survives the one-two punch of PlayStation Mobile and Xbox One. D:

PSMobile's death is just an end of a revenue stream (however small) for them. I imagine the Appli Archives games were included in their bankrupt developer digs. Most of what Hamster does is simply re-release content from dead pubs.

As for Azito, it doesn't look expensive.

Seems to be a lot of optimism for Splatoon sales in this thread. I think it'll do about 200~250K lifetime in Japan, but I hardly consider that to be "fantastic" (it's pretty good for a Wii U game without Mario in the title, however). I don't think it will move hardware beyond its launch week, and I certainly do not expect it to be an evergreen title like Minecraft or Youkai Watch. I am hopeful it does well enough for Nintendo to consider more new IPs, instead of continually rehashing the same old same old.

I wonder if Nintendo missed the boat by not preparing a Splatoon hardware bundle, perhaps with some cool paint job on the gamepad and/or console. I mean, even XCX got a hardware bundle. Seems a bit odd to me that they wouldn't do this, especially considering they have advertised the game so much.

I'm genuinely amazed that even after numbers are posted, there are still people who insist Splatoon will underperform.

NotLiquid

Splatoon had a large dedicated floor space at E3. They may have knew they had something special.

May be a bit of both really. Nintendo probably put in some stake that "brand new online shooter IP from Nintendo" would be somewhat a huge deal alone but the big floor space seems mostly like it'd have only been a necessity due to the game needing 8 players to be demoed.

ivysaur12

Banned
Wow, Splatoon! I'm having a blast with it, and it's nice to see a new IP come out so strong, especially for a genre Nintendo doesn't really produce on a system that doesn't really produce.

Hitting a million WW this year would be fantastic.

EDIT: So basically Splatoon's first week in Japan could be 2852% higher than The Wonderful 101's.

Terrell

Just wondering, underperform compared to what?

We have someone stating it will only do 200-250K LTD in Japan when it's likely already at least done over 50% of that number in its first day on sale, ahead of the weekend, and apparently with a healthy re-stock.

So... compared to the reality of the numbers we have available, I guess?

L~A

Nintendo apologised for the Splatoon shortages, more shipments next week. amiibo also scarce in stores.

Source

So... looks like Chris won't get his 200k FW for Splatoon, it seems. He was right about the "if enough stock" part.

Maybe we'll have an opening closer to 200k than 150k if there is the stock.

casiopao

Nintendo apologised for the Splatoon shortages, more shipments next week. amiibo also scarce in stores.

Source

So... looks like Chris won't get his 200k
FW for Splatoon, it seems.

See right? Ninty should have keep focusing on that housewife market. They are the savior of Wii U.^_^

NotLiquid

Source

So... looks like Chris won't get his 200k FW for Splatoon, it seems.

Considering some of the talk in regards to results I guess at this point it's safe to say that Splatoon is basically exceeding Nintendo's expectations

QaaQer

sorry if this has been asked, what was the last new Nintendo home console ip that sold more than 120k in it's opening week?

HGH

Banned
Hey, hey, hey! Guess which game just got delayed to July 30th?

..... Yup, IA/VT! Guess they realised launching the same day as P4D wasn't smart at all.

Dat typo in the URL, ha ha.

So wait a second, how many games are now releasing in the week of the 23rd to the 30th?

Terrell

Source

So... looks like Chris won't get his 200k FW for Splatoon, it seems.

Aren't shipment numbers usually determined by what stores want to order in advance of the release date? Or is there some sort of a cap that they put on production of the discs for launch week?
I mean, Nintendo would likely have to be the one to apologize for the shortage regardless, but... I'm not 100% up to speed on how this works.

All that said, looks like we'll have a near-complete sell-through rate.

Top Bottom